Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Sister, Sister ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Sister, Sister
It was the early hours of the morning, and Ranma was caught in the throes of a bad dream. In this dream, he was again getting thrown into the pit with the cats…
“Oh, no, the cats… “ Images of the deep dark pit filled Chibi-Ranma with fear.
“No, daddy, not again… “ He told his father just as his father picked him up, along with something else, and threw them both in the pit.
His next image was of him standing up to his father, with a shivering form on the ground behind him. “We don’t want to go back in there again… “
“Papa, why do you keep throwing us in there… “ Ranma said, as yet again, he is thrown into the pit along with the other form.
“Wait a minute,” Ranma thought, as he woke from the dream. “We? Us?”
Ranma lay there for a while, trying to remember what it was he had seen in the pit this time that seemed different than the last times he had had this dream. It wasn’t the pit, since the pit was always the same. It wasn’t the c-c-c-cats, since they always seemed to become more monstrous in the dream anyway. Then one image from his dream hit him. This time, he wasn’t alone. Someone else, besides Oyaji, had been in the pit with him… Someone small, with long brown hair so light as to almost be red, and bright blue eyes, like his own. Someone who's eyes were just as filled with fear as he imagined his to be… He spent most of the rest of the night trying to remember who this could be, or if it was just a dream, but could not shake the feeling that this was a real person…

Over the next week, the dream repeated itself every night, always leaving Ranma wondering why his dream changed now, and who the young girl could be. It was also wearing on him, as he would only get a few hours of sleep each night before the dream popped up, and he spent most of the day in school trying to remember the dream, and his afternoons in the usual fights with his various suitors and rivals, only to get malleted in the evenings and spend the night again with the same dream. His temper came to a head with a phone call he would never forget…

That Saturday evening found Ranma again in the dojo, going through kata after kata and trying to remember the girl from his dream. There was a sense of familiarity about her, but after 10 years, his memories of that time were mostly gone. At first, he thought it was Ukyo, but he hadn't met her yet. His ruminations about the girl were broken by Akane's yell from the house. “Hey, Ranma, you have a phone call!” Instead of answering, he simply ran inside to the phone.
“Hello? This is Ranma.” He spoke into the phone.
“Hello, Ranma, this is Doctor Tofu...”
“Hi, Doc, what's up?” Ranma replied.
“Glad to see you are in a good mood today, because I have some really interesting news for you. You see, I found something out today that may be of interest to you...”
“Hunh?”
“Ranma, do you know anyone by the name of Hikari?”
At the mention of the name, Ranma had an immediate image of a very young girl flash through his mind, and immediately recognized the image as the girl from his dreams. Ranma dropped the phone in shock as the name echoed through his head. “Hi-chan...” With the name came other images... Images of Hikari and Ranma playing together... Images of Hikari running after Ranma and Genma as they left training... Images of Genma stopping long enough for Hikari to catch up and telling her to go home... Later images of Hikari training with Ranma because Genma refused to train Hikari... Then came the cat-fist. Ranma snapped out of his trance long enough to pick up the phone and tell Doctor Tofu to bring some bandages before he hung up.
A loud yell rang out through the house, loud enough to vibrate the windows behind closed doors on another floor. “OYAJI! THIS TIME I WILL KILL YOU!”
A moment later finds a red glowing Ranma blasting through the living room and out onto the back porch where a certain sometimes-panda was playing go with Soun. And a moment after that, Genma was embedded in the wall with his limbs all twisted in the wrong directions and Ranma holding him by the throat. Genma was covered from head to toe in bruises. Akane and Nabiki came out of the house in time to hear Ranma growl out, “Talk. Now.” At first, Genma looked to be passed out, but a deep growl and a flash of red from Ranma's eyes caused Genma to open his eyes. “What do you want to know, boy?” Genma mumbled out through several broken teeth.
Ranma was angry enough that his fear of cats was temporarily suppressed. “I want to know what happened to my sister after you so carelessly tossed us into that pit with all those cats, and I want to know NOW!”
For a moment, it looked like Genma would try to lie his way out of it, when Doctor Tofu's calm voice cut through Ranma's anger as he walked around the side of the house. “I think I should have a look at Genma, and while I'm at it, Ranma, I'll tell you what I learned about your sister from the doctor that contacted me yesterday. You see, Ranma, I got a call from Nerima General Hospital since I am listed in your records as your family doctor. Seems that doctor was looking for the family of one Hikari Saotome, since she seems to have just awoken from a deep coma about a week ago. The doctors there were confused because, during the times when she's been awake, she was acting like a cat at first, but soon was able to communicate her name, and a desire to see her brother. She claimed her brother's name was Ranma...” As Tofu said this, he walked over to the wall and none-too-gently pulled Genma from the wall then lay him out on the ground. “Would you mind helping me set these limbs, Ranma, since you broke them?” Tofu looked up to see Ranma was gone from the backyard, leaving only the broken sometimes-panda and Akane present, with Nabiki just walking back into the yard. “He took off as soon as you said she was awake, and where she was,” Akane said as she walked forward to help.

-A few moments earlier-
When Doctor Tofu mentioned that Hikari was awake and where she was, Nabiki was sure he would take off like a shot. But something seemed odd, as Ranma was still there. 'I'll do my one good deed this week.' She grabbed Ranma by the arm and lead him to the gate, then pointed towards the hospital. “It's that way, Ranma.” She was rewarded with a bright smile and a hurried, “Thankyou,Nabiki.” Then he was gone, taking the Rooftop Express at a speed that left him out of sight when she blinked. As she was unlikely to get the answers she wanted from the now missing Ranma, Nabiki decided that she would get answers from the only other available source... Tofu.
By the time Nabiki was back in the back yard, Ranma was coming to a stop in the front lobby of Nerima General with the plan of not leaving until he found Hikari. At first he was unsure of what to do, so he just grabbed the first doctor he saw and asked,” Where's my sister?” His immediate answer was,”Why don't you ask at the information desk? It's right over there.” Ranma relaxed his grip as he turned to look and his eyes fell on the sign over the desk immediately behind him that said 'Information'.
He glanced back to the doctor and offered an apology, but his answer was simply for the doctor to pull his arm free and continue on his way. Ranma turned back to the desk behind him to find a young female nurse looking at him with a smile.
“Is there someone I can help you find, sir?”
Ranma's answer was a rushed “Where'smysister? Yougottatellme... Issheokay?”
The young nurse was used to people coming to her and asking all kinds of questions, and at many speeds, but even she could barely keep up with the speed of Ranma's questions. “If you will just slow down and take a breath between words, I will be able to answer you. Now, what is her name?”
Something in the way the nurse was speaking got through to Ranma, so he took a second to calm down before answering,”Hikari. Her name is Hikari.”
The nurse suddenly took on a businesslike attitude as she typed the name into her console. “Last name?”
“Saotome.”
The nurse paused for a second, then instead of reaching back to her keyboard, she picked up her phone and dialed an extension. A short hushed conversation later, she hung up and turned back to Ranma. “Doctor Kishiro will be right down. Please take a seat in those chairs, and I'll call you when she gets here.” With that, she pointed to a small bank of plastic chairs in the nearby lobby and turned back to her terminal and began typing.
With nothing else to do, Ranma sat down in the chair, hoping that this doctor would hurry. Ten minutes and as many comments of “Please sit down” later, a short doctor came up to Ranma and introduced herself as Doctor Kishiro. “Ranma, please follow me. I'm sure you have someone you want to see...” A moment later, they were in an elevator heading for the seventh floor. Ranma broke the silence with,”How did you know it was me?”
“Doctor Tofu's description of you was dead on. A young man, wearing red and black Chinese-style clothes, with a pigtail and likely to be unable to sit still for very long.” This brought a smile to his lips as he thought about how accurate the doctors description was. Just as he was about to ask more, the door to the elevator opened and they both stepped out into a somewhat darkened hallway.
Doctor Kishiro lead the way down a long hallway and right up to a door before she stopped Ranma and, in a quiet voice said, “Ranma, she's in here, very likely asleep considering the time. It's past normal visiting hours, but since it's been 10 years since you saw her, I'll make an exception this one time... Give me just a second to make sure she's presentable, okay?” Doctor Kishiro could tell that Ranma wanted more than anything to tear that door down in his haste to get to his sister, but after a monumental battle, he got himself under control and nodded. Doctor Kishiro slipped inside, and Ranma couldn't hear anything going on inside. He was just considering opening the door when it opened. Doctor Kishiro told him she was still asleep, then motioned him into a darkened room and to a chair set beside the rooms only bed, which he was quick to sit down in.
His eyes scanned the contents of the room, noticing that there were several machines in the room, with a few of them hooked up to his sister. The low amount of light was enough that his eyes couldn't make out many details at first, but soon enough he could. The first thing he noticed about her was the fact that her hair was nearly the same color as he remembered, only a little bit darker. Then came the bandage placed over her left eye. He also didn't remember the scars that marred her cheek and ran from nearly her hairline, under the bandage, and down her cheek to her chin. He then noticed that her body had a frail quality to it, like something broken and just now recovering. For a while, all Ranma could do was sit and stare at his sister, trying to take in all the details he could of the sleeping beauty before him.
The silence in the room, only broken by the occasional beep from one of the machines, caused Ranma to look around. He noticed that the doctor was gone, leaving him alone with his sister. After a while of Ranma just sitting there watching her, Hikari started to toss and turn in her sleep. She was also making odd noises that sounded kind of like words, but had an odd almost-rumbling to them. It took him several moments to decipher what she was saying, which turned out to be “Rrrranma”. It was about the point that he figured out what she was saying that her tossing suddenly stopped. Hikari's nose twitched a few times, and Ranma could swear she said his name again before she seemed to calm down into a much deeper slumber. Ranma stayed in the chair watching her sleep for nearly an hour before his recent exhaustion caused him to drift into a deep and, for once, dreamless sleep.