Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Sister, Sister ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Ranma just smiled at that comment and said,”I ain't going anywhere. Might as well, Doc.”
“Well, the first thing I would like to talk to you about is the fact that your sister there just spent ten years in a coma, and unless she goes through intensive physical therapy, she will remain as weak as she is now. In fact, I'm surprised she was even able to hold onto you like she is now. But that just means she's stronger than I thought, which is a good thing, because that means her therapy can start all the sooner...” Doctor Kishiro was interrupted by a large growl coming from Ranma's stomach, followed by a weaker one from Hikari's. “Looks like we may have to postpone the other part of this talk for later. I'll have the nurse bring a few trays, one for the each of you, okay?”
Ranma looked worried for a second. “Better make that 2 or 3 trays each. You haven't seen the Saotome stomach in action, and if that growl was any idea, my sister has it, as well.” The doctor only nodded and walked out the door. Ranma spent the next several minutes looking around the room, before a soft voice got his attention.
“Rrrranma?” He looked down at Hikari only to find that she was looking up at him and smiling. Again her light weight was enough for him to not notice her moving. "Where's momma?"
This being a question he didn't really expect, Ranma had to take a moment to answer. "She's not here, Hi-chan. I haven't seen her in a couple of days, not since her and pop discovered... Well, lets just say that mom's not very happy with oyaji right now, and leave it at that, ok?"
"Okay, Rrrranma." At this she stopped talking, still looking very tired, and leaned back against her pillows, but didn't go to sleep. Instead, she just looked up at Ranma and grinned. "I'm glad you arrrre herrrre, Rrrranma, otherrrrwise, I'd be scared..."
"You don't have to be scared, Hi-chan. I'm here to protect you. Aint nothin gonna get past me to you..." At this a squeak at the door brought the attention of both Saotomes to Doctor Kishiro as she pushed in a small cart loaded with several trays of hospital food.

Tendo dojo- guest room
"Well, Genma, I'm waiting. Speak!" If one looked closely, they would see a crack in Nodoka's composure. After all this time, she had discovered the identity of the one who took her child from her to be the same man she married. While she knew about Ranma going on their little 10-year training trip, she had absolutely refused to allow Hikari to go. She had needed a reason for them to come home, and knew that Ranma would want to visit his sister. She had not foreseen Hikari runing away to try to find her brother. She had looked for many years, before giving up on the cold trail of her missing daughter and following the warm trail of her husband and son.
The stuttering fool before could only answer with, "B-B-B-But N-N-N-No-chan..."
An icy rage filled Nodoka as the last straw finally broke the camels back. "You took my son away for ten years. You did all kinds of abuses to him, all in the name of training. You traded him for food. You starved him. You even threw him in a pit of cats, hoping to teach him some ultimate technique or another. I won't deny that your techniques got results, and I know Ranma could handle it. But you promised me you would never, EVER, train our daughter. You even went so far as to swear that if you ever did, you would galdly give up the Saotome name. Now, before I go any further... WHERE IS MY DAUGHTER?!?"
It was the quiet voice of Akane that answered from the doorway, "She's at Nerima General hospital right now. Ranma's been since last night."
Nodoka answered Akane with an equally quiet,"Thank you, Akane," before she turned back to Genma. "Genma, I'm calling you on that promise. You have 2 ways out. The first is to commit seppuku tomorrow at dawn. Frankly, I consider that the cowards way out. The second would be to immediately renounce the Saotome name until such a time as I am satisfied that you have recovered your honor. I'll give you untill noon tomorrow to decide your answer. And to make sure that youreally spend your time thinking, I'm going to be speaking to Kasumi. You will be fasting until I say otherwise."
With that, the Saotome matriarch resheated and rewrapped her sword and walked out the door, completely ignoring anything Genma might have to say.

A few minutes later finds Nodoka downstairs having a drinking tea and having a short conversation with Kasumi. "Kasumi, dear, I have a few favors to ask of you. First, Genma needs to remain undisturbed for a while to think. Would you be so kind as to save his dinner for tomorrow?"
Kasumi's answer is a simple, "I do hope he doesn't get too hungry."
Nodoka smiled and responded, "Oh, I think he'll be too busy meditating to worry about food. And speaking of food, would you help me prepare a suitable lunch for meeting with my son and daughter? While I hear hospital food has gotten better, it still can't beat a nice home-cooked meal."
"I would be honored to help you cook a meal for Ranma and... Oh, my, what was your daughters name?"
Nodoka could only smile. "Hikari. My daughters name is Hikari..."

Nerima General, room 732
Doctor Kishiro watched as Ranma took a small portion of rice and fed it to Hikari. She could only smile as Ranma patiently sat there ignoring the grumbling of his own belly to feed his sister. Both Ranma and Doctor Kishiro could tell she was much hungrier than she had let on, and had watched for 5 minutes as she tried to feed herself, only to not have the strength to do so. So Ranma had decided to help her out the only way he knew how, by feeding her. It took nearly an hour for Hikari to devour a respectful 2 trays of food. She only really stopped eating because she was too tired to keep her eye open. So she smiled at Ranma when he offered more and went back to sleep to the tune of Ranma chowing through the remaining 4 trays of food.
After he finished, Ranma glanced at Hikari, noticing she was still asleep, and said, "So what else did ya want to talk about, Doc?"
A quiet but insistant beeping from Doctor Kishiro's waist distracted her before she could answer. "Sorry, Ranma, looks like I'm needed elsewhere. I'll come back when I can. I would prefer that Hikari be awake for that part of our talk anyway. Gotta run." With that, Doctor Kishiro left.
Ranma sat watching Hikari sleep. The peaceful expression on her face still could bury how truelly fragile she still looked. Ranma took a quick glance at her ki to find something startling. The ki flows that he was familiar with all seemed to be blocked somehow. 'Maybe I should get the old ghoul to look at her. Maybe she can figure out why Hi-chan's ki is like this...' He sat watching Hikari for another 2 hours. Suddenly, her nose started twitching, and her eye popped open, right before someone knocked at the door. Ranma got up to answer, only to find his mom and Kasumi standing there, each holding a small basket.