Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ The One Left Behind ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: Down own Ranma 1/2. Never will. Deal.

Alternate Universe.

Note: I put this story up as a favor for a friend. They wanted me too. I don't know if I like it or not.
I'm kind of embarrased of it. Is it worth continuing?

---
The one you left behind
Part One
---


I hate him; him and his son. Its all their fault. All the pain . . . all her pain. I wasn't good enough for them. I was just the "defective child", just to be swept under the table and forgotten. I can even remember the old man writing something to mom along the lines of "If one of them dies we'll have a back up!" I hate that bastard.

Second best my entire life. No matter how hard I tried I was always the understudy, never the star. I don't want the spotlight for long . . . just for a little while. I want to be counted. Is that so much to ask?

I hate standing in his shadow! Always being compared to him. Every little victory I earn I hear . . .HE could have done better. What can't you be more like your brother they say. HE would have been able to win that fight faster. HE wouldn't be so shy around girls.

Why did she believe in him? What made him do no wrong in her eyes? To her dying breath, she believed he would come back for her. I could see that he was never coming back.

I'm never letting myself fall in love. It only brings pain and suffering. Her love made her blind. I had no such problems.

I can still remember her last moments.

"Honey?" she had asked. Her pale hand clutched my arm. She looked so very frail and tired. The disease had ravaged her quickly. The doctors had said if they had caught it in time she would have been able to have a full recovery. A lot good it did her then! Idiots, they go to college for eight years to tell us that she's going to die and there's nothing we can do?!

"What is it mom?" I had asked trying to hold back my tears. After all, real men don't cry.

"Find your father and brother. Help them continue the family school." It could rot in hell for all I cared. I didn't show it in my outer appearance though. She deserved for her last moments to be those of peace and contentment. They had caused her so much pain. So many nights she had spent crying herself to sleep. She had thought I hadn't heard, but I did. I knew.

"I'll find them," I told her clasping my warm hand into her pale one. It wasn't a complete lie. I was going to find them.

"That's my boy." She touched my face gently and then shuddered violently. I watched the light draw out of her eyes. Until finally it disappeared and her eyes became lifeless expressionless orbs. I had lifted my hand over her face and closed her beautiful eyes. She was dead.

I had never felt so alone. Always she had been there to watch over me. To tell me to get up because it wasn't manly to sit in the dirt and cry. . . . Uh, maybe that wasn't the best memory.

At least, she had been happy in her last moments. I couldn't be the son she wanted. I couldn't be HIM, but at least I could give her peace before she passed on.

I shook my head and brought myself out of my reverie. I needed to focus.

I stopped at the crest of a hill and let the wind flow down my hot sweaty face. The trail I had been following seemed to be endless. When was the last time I had eaten anyway?

A town spread before me in a valley. At my current altitude, the town looked like children's doll houses in neat little rows. I felt if I reached my hand out far enough, I could crush them with my fist.

"He's probably not there but I still have to check."

I tucked the locket I had been gazing at back under my shirt and cautiously started down the steep hill.

He probably isn't here . . . but what if he was? Could I kill my own brother? Was that what I wanted to do? I tried to clear my mind of my nonsense thoughts. I was after revenge. I can't lose sight of my goal or I'll be lost forever. There's no use worrying about the future. I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

The village was small and quaint. Farm animals and barefooted children roamed the streets. I walked over to an older man that was sweeping his front steps.

"Excuse me sir, do you know if anyone by the name of Ranma Saotome has been by here?"

The villager rubbed his beard in thought.

"Well I do happen to recollect a young man using that name pass through here a little while ago."

"Which way did he go?" Finally a lead!

The man turned and pointed down a narrow road.

"He went down that there road a few days ago."

"Thank you sir!" I turned and ran toward the road with new vigor. Finally my revenge . . . or was it her revenge? Was at hand.

"Such a polite boy," I heard the villager mumble as I ran off into the distance. "Went the wrong way though."

---

Where is that path? It was here just a moment ago. Trust it to them to take the hardest way possible. He probably knows I'm after them and they're going through the forest just to show off.

Tree . . . tree . . . tree . . . god this place is boring! Night's falling too. I'll have to set up camp soon. Some damn wild animal will probably come; ravage my camp while I'm asleep. But hey, I might as well look on the bright side. Then I get to kill him.

After a few hours of trudging aimless through underbrush filled with sharp jagged thorns, I decided to set up camp. It wasn't safe to keep going. Someone walking around in the dark could end up walking off a mountain or falling into a river; . . . not that I ever did those things.

The golden sun had set over the horizon, casting the forest into shadows. The rough cloak I wore didn't do much to keep out the cold. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger right? . . . I don't believe it either but that's what mom used to tell me.

I didn't have much to set up. With a pack as big as mine, there should have been. I found a spring and a few wild mushrooms and cooked them. They tasted horrible. I really need to learn how to cook. I don't care if its manly or not. I need to learn. A man can't survive on mushrooms alone. I hate mushrooms. If I never ate another one of those stupid things in my entire life I would be content. . . Well that and If I had my revenge.

I stared at the fire as it crackled and burned. The flames jumped and spun in a chaotic dance of nature. It was rather poetic actually. Heh people would be surprised that I, the mindless powerhouse of destruction, writes poetry. It's nothing to be ashamed of. But if anyone finds out I'll kill them!

My eyes darted across the edge of the clearing looking for wild animals that like to ravage poor unsuspecting travelers. I wasn't dispointed. Two eyes glinted off the moonlight for a split second. An animal was hiding in the thicket. It probabley just hung around the woods, waiting for stupid travelers to stop by. This time it wouldn't be so easy for him.

He poked his stupid nose out of the thicket. He sniffed about and finally emerged fully, looking deceptively innocent. Stupid boars, I hate boars. They remind me of . . . _HER_. I'm about to go to sleep soon better not think about all that.

I usually like animals, all animals except stupid pigs that is. Does he really think he's fooling anyone?! I'm going to have fun with this one.

"Here piggy piggy, I won't hurt you." A tried to hold back the grin that was threatening to spread across my face. These things could sense fear. I held out a bit of mushroom on a stick I had been roasting. Come on you big dumb animal take the bait.

It waddled over happily, thinking it could come over, take the mushroom, and bite my hand off with it.

Five minutes later, I had enough food to last me for two weeks.

---

The days passed by like roaming phantasms. Or whatever poetic way you can say it got dark and light again a couple of times. I think I'm getting closer. I had passed through a town where someone had told me that an arrogant martial artist had passed through. He beat up a couple of local martial artists, declared them to be not worth his time, and then skipped town. Someone said he even looked like me. No old man with him though. Maybe he died? . . . Nah wishful thinking. I'm not that lucky.

If I hurry, I can catch him in the next town. Where is the town anyway? I think I forgot to ask. The path's starting to look more refined and up kept. Maybe I'm going the right way.

The sky overheard was bright and filled with fluffy white clouds that did nothing to block out the sun. Little annoying blue birds sung their happy chirpy songs. In the distance, a small town shone out like a lamp in the night. It took me only a few minutes to reach it. Once there, I stopped to ask a local where I was.

"Excuse me do you know if a Ranma Saotome has passed by here?"

"Oh well, a young man by that name just bought something from my cart." An old decrepid man hunched over his cart. The hood of his cloak shadowed his face.

"Where did he go?"

"He's right over there." The man pointed to his left.

" . . . what?!"

YES! Finally my revenge was at hand! I threw my pack to the ground and grabbed my umbrella. I charged and jumped, holding my umbrella over my head, ready to strike. There was no way he was getting away now.

"Prepare to die Ranma!" He looked up in surprise--
and stepped to the side. The last thing I thought before I crashed into a fish stand was: "Maybe I shouldn't have given away the element of surprise?"

I slammed into the fish stand and subsequently took out the glass makers stand too. Little pieces of glass stuck into my skin and fish guts soaked into my cloths.

"Who the hell are you?" Ranma asked. I pulled myself from the wreckage and glared at him. He wore camouflage pants, black cut off shirt, combat boots, and a black bandanna. He did look like me . . .

"How dare you not know who I am!" I pulled off some of my bandanna's and threw them at him. The jerk calmly dodged as if they weren't even a challenge. He turned his head and looked at me coldly.

"Listen you idiot. I'm not who you think I am."

"What's wrong Ranma? Don't recognize your own brother?!" Ranma's stony face twitched and he started to . . . laugh? What the hell?

"Moron, obviously you can't. I'm not your brother."

"No way! You look exactly like me!" His mild amusement faded away and he started to glow red. What was he doing?

"Whatever, you're annoying me." He extended his hand which radiated red Chi.

It was too late to dodge and blocking wouldn't make any difference. In other words, I was complexly screwed.

"Ranma Saotome! Today is the day I pay you back for making every day of my life a living hell!" I looked up and saw a figure silohetted against the sunlight. Time seemed to slow down as Ranma turned around. The figure pulled the biggest spatula I had ever seen from behind his back and slammed Ranma in the head with it. Ranma fell to the ground as his assasilant leaped away from him. The figure with the spatula landed a few dozen feet away. I glared at the intruder.

"Who the hell are you?! I was gettting revenge first so back off!"

The figure, it was a guy now I could tell, had long haired pulled back in a tight ponytail. He had a chef's uniform on and held his spatula in the ready position.

"The name's Ukyou Kounji, and you better move over little boy or your going to get hurt." He started to turn back around. I think Ranma was getting back up. Whatever, I had more important things to do. There's no way some crazy chef guy was going to rob me of my revenge. I picked up my umbrella and threw it in the air.

He noticed it arching back toward him and ducked, but he didn't duck my fist.

"Little boy huh! I'm taller than you!"

Ukyou rolled with my punch and came back to his feet. A barrage of small spatulas shot from his hands. I backflipped, barely missing the razor sharp spatulas as they embedded themselves into the ground, and picked up my umbrella from the ground.

"Go away this is my fight!" he screamed, lunging for me.

"Hell no! I've got way more history with him than you do!"

Where was that red glow coming from? No matter, I'll just pound this guy's face first and worry about it later.

"I don't know what your problem is, but I'm not Ranma. I'm Ryu Kumon. Not that it matters now."

We turned back to look at him and he pointed. An enormous chi blast shot from his hands and slammed into us. I felt like I was trapped in a vacuum--

and then everything went blank.

---

Ugh. Everything's black. Everywhere I look there's nothing but blackness. It felt like a wet blanket over my senses. It was so tempting just to stay here. A world without pain, without suffering. But it would be a lie wouldn't?

My eyes opened and light flooded my senses. I was partially buried under a ton of rubble. I clawed my way out, pushing large pieces of brick and rock out of my way. Heh, a building must have been hit too.

That guy, Ryu I think his name was, must have been a good shot. All of the other buildings were left mostly intact. The windows of all the neighboring shops were shattered, though. It must have been from the shockwave. No dead bodies on the ground. That's good. The villagers must have had enough sense to get out of way.

Standing painfully, I felt several joints pop back into place, each sending jolts of pain through my body. I could think of nicer ways to wake up, but I'm tough. I'll be ok. Looking around, I noticed the end of a spatula and a hand sticking out from the rubble and limped over. It took awhile to remove all the rocks, but he was alive. The guy must be tougher than I thought.

The jerk, I can't leave him here. Ranma must have done something horrible to him. I picked him up and threw him over my shoulder. He was pretty light . . .

I couldn't find a doctor so I camped in a clearing instead. Find some firewood, strike a match, I could do it in my sleep. Ukyou better appreciate this, I let him lay on my sleeping bag and everything. He also better wake up soon. I'm getting bored.

Ukyou grumbled and rolled over. He took his time waking up, moaning and groaning like a baby. If he complained any more, you'd think he was a girl. This guy thought he had a shot against Ranma? I'll be doing him a favor by defeating Ranma. I was practically saving his life!

"Wake up Idiot." He stood up and opened his eyes. While rubbing the sleep from them, he looked around.

"What happened?"

"We got hit by a big chi blast."

"I know that stupid but how did I get here?"

"I carried you." I shrugged and turned to tend the instant Ramen that was cooking over a fire. Through the corner of my eye, I could see him looking at me in surprise. I finished stirring the food and turned back toward him.

"Well, thanks but I can take care of myself," he grumbled.

"Gee your welcome." That's gratitude for ya. I carried him all this way to . . . well wherever we are. He situated himself into a lotus position and leveled a wary glare at me.

"Who are you and what do you want with Saotome?"

I ignored him and turned back to the ramen for a moment, pausing deliberately to aggravate him. After a few moments, I turned back and looked at him calmly.

"My name's Ryouga."

"Ryouga what?"

"Just Ryouga. I don't have a last name."

He raised an eyebrow but didn't push the subject.

"Ok, . . . Ryouga. What do you want with Saotome?"

"Revenge. Weren't you paying attention?"

"I know that jackass! I meant what history do you have with him. Why do you want revenge? Am I being simple enough? Do you need little diagrams and pictures?"

"Hey! What about you? What business do you have with Ranma?"

"I asked you first!"

"I saved your life didn't I?"

Ukyou shifted uncomfortable on the ground.

"You owe me. So I think its only right that you go first."

He sighed and conceded defeat. "All right, I'll go first. He was my fiancee and he ran off with my fathers cart. I was left crying in the dirt."

I almost knocked my cooking off the fire. Ranma was engaged to a guy?! Just when you think the old man couldn't stoop any lower! Ranma, Mr. Epitome of Manliness, was engaged to a guy!

"BWHAHAHAHAHA!" This was too great. My sides started to hurt I was laughing so hard. "Ranma's engaged to a guy! HAHAHAHHA!" Ukyou blinked and seemed to realize what he had just said.

"Did I say me? Oops I meant uh . . . my sister! He jilted my sister. Heh, yeah that's what I meant." Oh, that makes more sense.

"That sounds like Genma. Anything raised by him is the spawn of evil." Wait, wouldn't that make me the spawn of evil too? Well technically I wasn't raised by him but . . . uh . . . Damn, I've got to think up better analogies.

Something about this isn't right. If there had been some kind of honor pact, wouldn't a Saotome still be required to fulfill the agreement? . . . Ah hell! That bastard! He knew that all along! Good thing she isn't here then I'd be in real trouble.

"Heh good thing she isn't here." Did I say that out loud?

"Why'd you say that?"

"Err never mind. Ukyou where are you from?"

"Yokohama, but stop trying to change the subject." Note to self, if I ever find myself in Yokohama get out of there very, very fast.

"Its your turn to tell your story," he continued. I couldn't help but grin.

". . .Changed my mind."

"No fair!"

"Whoever said life was fair?"

I chuckled at his expression. Wow what a change. For once I was the one making someone angry instead of the other way around. I reached over, pulled an extra bowl from my pack. The ramen was done and smelled great. I filled up the bowl and offered it to Ukyou.

"Ya hungry?" He looked up in surprise and then reluctantly took the bowl. I poured myself one and ate in silence for several minutes.

Night was creeping upon us now. The sun had almost completley set. The amber fire that streaked the horizon was starting to fade and give way to nights dark embrace. The only sound in the clearing was the cawing of a nightbird and the sound of me chugging down my noodles, getting them all over myself in the process. I was never that big on table manners.

"Why are you being so nice to me?" Ukyou asked breaking the all most palpable silence. The question caught me off guard. I wasn't really sure. I finished eating and set my bowl down.

"I don't know. Got nothing against you personally. I understand you wanting to beat Genma and Ranma into a bloody pulp."

"Uh huh." He didn't look very convinced.

"I wanted to warn you. You've gotta good claim for revenge. But I'm going to be the one to punish Ranma and that bastard Genma and no one on heaven or earth is going to stop me. You can have them after I'm done. . . if there's anything left that is."

"You just expect me to step aside quietly?"

He glared at me in a way the skinny guy must have thought was really intimidating, sat his bowl down, and stood up.

"Thank you for the food Ryouga. But I'm going to be the one to punish them and your not going to stop me. You don't know what its like . . . to be the one left behind." He picked up his belongings and left leaving, his bowl of ramen untouched.

"Yeah." I gazed at the burning embers of the fire bitterly. "What would I know about that . . .

---

ashez2ashes@yahoo.com
http://www.geocities.com/ ashez2ashes/