Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ The Ultimate Challenge ❯ Chapter 8

[ P - Pre-Teen ]







TITLE: Preparation

BY: Jessi

DISCLAIMER: I don't own any Ranma characters.

-------------

Akane rolled over in her sleep, visions of Ranma and Shampoo haunting her dreams. Ukyo and Ryoga had gone to the Ucchans for the night, and Mousse was staying with them for an undetermined amount of time. Dr. Tofu had returned to his home, and everyone else had gone to bed.

Akane had cried herself to sleep; the tears that had been contained earlier had poured out when she climbed in bed.

Genma lay in his futon. His eyes were unfocused. Over and over he pictured his son, his only son, laughing happily as he lived life to its fullest. Apparently, if what Dr. Tofu said was correct, Ranma would probably never laugh as he once had. Because of the spell, Ranma had lost much of the vivaciousness that made Ranma Saotome who he was. Unless they could find a cure, he would remain in a subconscious state, awake, but somehow lacking spirit. Genma sobbed into his pillow.

Soun was asleep. Of course the events of the day had shaken him, but things would work out. In Nerima, they always did. Besides, it wasn't his child that was a slave to a crazed Chinese bimbo.

Kasumi was also asleep, she had said a silent prayer for Ranma and the family, and then cried a couple tears for the family as well as Ranma before she fell into a light slumber.

Nabiki was awake, she was reflecting on the day's events. It had all happened so fast, Ranma gone, Shampoo and Cologne gone. Mousse arriving, possibly to save the day. Kasumi was in danger of a nervous breakdown; she had always been unstable. Her childhood had been cut short when their mother had died, and she had assumed full responsibility for the family. Akane had been in denial about how she felt about Ranma until now. And now, it seemed as though she would do anything to help him.

Nabiki sighed, her head was beginning to hurt from all the thinking and craziness. She closed her eyes, and before she knew it, Nabiki was asleep.

---------------

Cologne was up at the crack of dawn the next morning. She was finalizing the details of the wedding that was to take place at sunset. Humming to herself, Cologne hopped up the trail to the site where the wedding would be taking place.

The area that was the specified wedding location was the mountainside, where the sunset was the most prominent. Many Amazon weddings had taken place on the mountainside, at the same spot where Shampoo and Ranma's would take place that evening.

Cologne reached the landing where the incline broke and the land flattened out, this was where the wedding would occur. Everything was in order; sticks and stones had been brushed aside to provide a smooth area. It would be a traditional Amazon wedding, complete with a traditional Amazon reception.

Cologne put down flowers in just the right spots to complement the wedding area but not over accent any certain features of the terrain. The flowers were orange, red, and yellow, to match the colors of the setting sun.

Shampoo would wear yellow, complementing her violet tresses. Cologne thought back to her wedding, she, too, had worn yellow. Her husband had been weak, as men are, and had died many decades ago. Men did not have the stamina to live hundreds of years, as Amazon women did.

Cologne sat on a boulder, and watched the sun rise. The pinky color was fading into a deep red as the sun rose in the sky. She sighed. For Shampoo, everything was right with the world, but Cologne could not help but think how the world must be falling apart for Ranma's family and friends. The spell had been her idea, Shampoo had only agreed to it. Cologne had done everything and anything to make sure Shampoo's honor was not tarnished, the way so many Amazons' had been.

The Amazon elder sighed, and completed the finishing touches at the wedding site before heading back down the mountain trail. The village would be waking soon.

---------------

Kasumi set the food on the table that was surrounded by solemn faces. They had met that evening to devise a plan to get Ranma back.

"I guess that first we must find a cure. If there is one.." Dr. Tofu began. "And we must also retrieve Ranma from China."

"Which will we do first? Get Ranma back or find the cure?" Ukyo asked stupidly.

Dr. Tofu looked at Ukyo with disbelieving eyes.

"Well, Ukyo, it makes more sense to me to find the cure first. After all, if we got Ranma before the cure, he would just blast us away and run back to China. Or the Amazons would come for him. Either way, with that plan, we lose. But if we find the cure first, we can use it on him, and then he can help us defeat the Chinese warriors. Does this appeal to the rest of you?" Dr. Tofu asked.

Ukyo blushed and nodded with the others.

*How could I be so stupid? Of course we have to get the cure first! I pray that there is one...* Ukyo berated herself silently.

"Ok then, I thought about this last night," Dr. Tofu began. He turned to Mousse. "Mousse, we need you to help us. I'm assuming that you can read and write Chinese. After all, you live in China and you are Chinese. I'm correct, right?

Mousse nodded.

"Fabulous. My plan is this: Two of us depart to China to do some hands on research there. I'm quite sure there are many more resources there than here in Japan. The rest of us will remain here, and conduct life as usual. When a cure is found, or once a predetermined time has elapsed, the pair will return to Japan, cure or no. The fact remains that there may not be a cure, and we would not want the cure-searchers to spend a large amount of time in China looking for something that does not exist," Tofu concluded.

"Yes, but who will go to China?" Nabiki asked dubiously.

"Mousse, if he agrees. He is a key player in this "game" as he can read and speak Chinese. The other will be a volunteer. Preferably one with martial art skills."

Ryoga got to his feet. "I will travel to China with Mousse, as long as he keeps me in sight at all times," Ryoga said the last part quietly.

Tofu nodded with a smile. "Good, we have two martial artists that will search for a cure for Ranma. You should leave as soon as possible."

Akane interrupted the three men, "I want to look for a cure. I want to help! Ranma is my fiancée, I want to help."

The others looked at each other, and all shook their heads.

"Akane, we already have two very qualified martial artists to take on the "Ranma-Shampoo-Cologne-Spell" problem. You needn't go," Nabiki said.

"Yes, Akane. It could be dangerous!" Kasumi argued.

Soun and Genma wailed in the corner, "Finally! Akane has confessed her love for Ranma!!! They will be wed as soon as Ranma returns!!!!!"

Akane beat them into the floor, then turned her attention back to the others.

"Please, Dr. Tofu, tell them I can go!"

The doctor frowned and shook his head.

"I'm sorry, Akane. But Ryoga and Mousse are more than capable of taking on this adventure by themselves. There's a very strong possibility it could be quite dangerous. You never know what you could run into in China. It's best that you stay here," Dr. Tofu finished.

Akane hung her head, knowing that Dr. Tofu was the only one who could change her family's decision.

"All right then... but make sure that I'm the first one to know of everything and anything you find out!!" Akane told Mousse and Ryoga firmly. Ryoga and Mousse nodded.

"Okay... I'm going to bed now. Goodnight everyone."

"Goodnight Akane"

"When are we planning on leaving?" Mousse asked.

"In two days, if that would be okay for you two. Two days should be enough time to wrap up all loose ends for the time being, correct?" Tofu said.

They nodded, and everyone returned home or retired for the evening.

---------------

Upstairs, in the youngest Tendos bedroom, shuffling noises could be heard. Akane was rummaging in her closet and through her dresser drawers, shoving clothing into a large navy duffel bag. She threw a spare toothbrush in the bag along with a comb and soap. All the necessities for life on the road.

*Ranma is MY fiancée. I have EVERY right and reason to go on this expedition. And I WILL be going on this adventure. Whether anyone likes it or not. I am going. I'll follow Ryoga and Mousse when they leave. They don't need to know I'm going until AFTER we're quite on our way there. Hang on Ranma... I'm coming for you.* Akane thought to herself.

She finished packing most of her belongings, and climbed into bed. She said a quick prayer and fell asleep.

-----------

To be continued...

AUTHOR'S COMMENTS: I know that, as of late, the chapters have been very short. But, I try to get the chapters out as soon as possible, even if they are a bit shorter than I would like. I don't have much time to write anymore, school is wrapping up, and I've had a lot of extra curricular activities to contend with. Please be patient with me.