Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Trial By Fire ❯ Chapter 3 - Somewhere I Belong ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Trial By Fire

Section I: Melodies of Life

Chapter 3: Somewhere I Belong

Author: Jial Silverthorn (jial_silverthorn@hotmail.com)  

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

<... .> denotes a thought, not verbally spoken. When it involves Ranma/Ranko/Akane, the other(s) can possibly ‘hear’ it.

[....] denotes a feeling or a short action, usually before speech takes place.

*....* denotes a sound effect

(....) denotes writing

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Looking around, Ranko is surprised to see how alone Cologne truly was now that Shampoo and Mousse were gone. The only reminder that either of them had ever been there was Shampoo's elegant sword hanging on the wall. Shuddering at the memory of how many times that Ranma nearly wound up on the wrong side of that blade, Ranko sits on the floor.

Ranko:         [whispering] Bro...give me the strength that I'll need to survive this.

Closing her eyes, Ranko's mind begins to drift peacefully, only to be engulfed by the storm of emotions locked up tight in her mind. Letting her other senses fade, Ranko focuses through the haze, on a familiar place in her memories. Slowly, the dark void begins to take shape, cherry trees appearing next to a crystalline lake. Feeling the ground under her, Ranko sighs in relief.

Ranko:         That was the easy part. At least here, I don't have to worry about hurtin' anybody else...

Bringing her attention back to the ball of emotion, it takes form in front of her, a coruscating mix of colors, feelings, and memories. Gritting her teeth, Ranko begins letting her mental blocks down, bracing for the imminent onslaught. As each thin layer of protection eases away from her mind, the pressure on the few remaining walls increases enormously. Just as she reaches the last wall, Ranko's world explodes as confusion passes through her, only to be replaced by anger, and augmented by sorrow.

Ranko:         [forcefully] I...AM...NOT...GIVING...UP!

Staggering back, she winces in pain as the ball is forced out of her again. Reaching a hand out to it, it glows white and fades away, as does the scene in her mind. Blinking, Ranko finds herself in the Tendo Dojo, except things look a little...off. Turning her head, she growls as she notices Genma on his knees in front of Nodoka.

Ranko:         YOU!

Lunging forward, she passes right through her target. Shaking her head, Ranko laughs weakly.

Ranko:         I forgot...this isn't that wonderful day all over again. But why this memory, why not something more...peaceful?

As if to answer her question, the scene unfolds before her, the same as it did over a year ago.

Nodoka:       [metallic echo] Do not even think of trying to simply run away from this like everything else you've run from. You know damn well that I'll find you.

As swiftly as it formed, the Dojo is gone, replaced again by the lake again. Wiping her eyes, Ranko pulls her hand away from her face, upon discovering tears.

Ranko:         NO! I refuse to cry for that bastard! He damn near killed bro and he made our lives hell! I'm not my brother, I don't owe him ANYTHING! That fool got what he earned, plain and simple. Bro, I know ya miss him, but I don't think I ever will; forgive me...

Feeling a concentrated blast of anger pass through him, Ranma snaps his head up.

Ranma:        What the hell; sis? Acchan, I think that she's in...

Akane:         Don't waste your time. She'll only wanna take it out of your hide. I think she's finally letting it all out. You just need to have faith in your sister. If she needed help, we would know. You know hard it is when you finally let out a large amount of suffering and pain.

Ranma:         Fine. I don't like it, but I think you're right.

Akane:         Of course I'm right. Now, where were we...?

Lifting her head up, Ranko watches as a portion of the ball of emotion falls away, leaving an odd piece floating in the air. Reaching out to it, her hand barely can feel the fragment, an aura of serenity passing through her.

Ranko:         I guess...I have to take things on...one by one, and hope that I can survive this.

Reaching over, she places her hand on the ball only to be enveloped in a blue glow. Scanning the area, her heart sinks as she realizes which memory was brought to the surface this time. Sitting in front of Ranko was Kuno, and Ranko. Blinking, she is now staring at Kuno, a visitor in her own mind.

Ranko:         [weakly] Not this....gods, not this night.

Steeling herself, Ranko watches as Kuno sighs, a sullen expression on his face.

Kuno:           Pig-tail...Ranko, I am grateful that you reconsidered my offer for a date. I do not think I will forget tonight.

Ranko tries to keep her mouth shut, but the familiar sequence continues, and she can only watch in pain.

Ranko:         Well, I did say it wasn't likely, didn't I? Besides, ya seem to be a little more level-headed now, especially now that I can put up with your talkin'.

Kuno:           I have to admit that changing my speaking habit was...not easy. But, I can see how people disliked my previous preferred style of speech.

Ranko:         Changin' things that have been with ya a part of your life is never easy Kuno. I dunno if the change is bad, or if hearin' ya normally is worse.

Kuno:          [softly] It may well be the last time you hear me, Ranko.

Ranko:         Why's that Kuno? Are ya plannin' on movin' or somethin'?

Kuno:          [shaking his head] Yes and no, I am not moving; at least not out of the city. I am moving out of your life, Ranko. I finally understand that I was not...myself when I constantly pursued you. Truth be known, I almost wish that part of my past could be destroyed, if only it would not destroy my memories of you. While I am not sure of what I will do in the future, I can not see you as a willing part of it. Forcing you to be someone you are not; it is intolerable, and unacceptable. If I see you again, it will be in the distant future. I have caused enough trouble to you and your family, too much trouble...

Hearing those sad words again causes Ranko to become painfully aware of that hole in her heart that refuses to heal.

Ranko:         <No, not again...>

Kuno:          In time, I may ask you to be my friend, but only when I think I have earned it. For now, I must leave you to your life, so that you may live and grow without a fool like myself interfering. All I will ask is your forgiveness for my past errors, if you will grant me that.

Ranko:         [whispering] You...you are forgiven, Kuno. If that's your choice, who am I to stop ya? After all, we all live our lives our way, or at least that's what we want to believe. Besides, I haveta agree with ya. We could be friends, but nothing more. I don't think I'd ever be able to entirely forget the past...no matter how much I would want to.

Kuno:          You honor me, Ranko. If it is not too much trouble, please inform Ranma about this when you return home. It would not do well for you to be this distraught without cause. Even now, I think he would act first, ask questions later.

Ranma:         <Don't worry sis. I already know. The more emotion you put out, the easier I can feel you. Tell him that he will be missed, and that when he feels it appropriate, he is welcome to visit us.>

Ranko:         Kuno, don't worry about bro. When ya get your head sorted out, you're welcome to drop by. After all, that's friends are for, right?

Kuno:          [placing his bokken on the table] I bid you farewell Ranko Saotome. May your life turn out as well as you hope...and deserve.

Leaning down, Kuno places a light kiss on Ranko's cheek and leaves. His face is a mask of pain as his feelings threaten to break him in half.

Feeling the scene dissolve around her, Ranko slumps to the ground, tears streaming down her face.

Ranko:         Ya may have been a jerk, but you are a friend, Kuno. I hope you find what you were searching for...because I haven't, not yet at least.

Looking up, Ranko watches another piece separate from the ball, this one a deep blue. Focusing back on the ball, Ranko notices that it has shrunk.

Ranko:         I think I finally get it now. Each memory is tied to a part of that ball. If I can survive this barrage, the ball should disappear. Well, if that's the case...

Extending her hand again, a deep green glow surrounds her. Looking up, Ranko's eyes nearly fall out of her sockets. Lying on two beds are Ranma and Akane, with Dr. Tofu, Cologne, and Nabiki standing guard.

Ranko:         It's...the day that bro died, when he gave up his life for me.

Just as the familiar feeling of being pulled back to life washes through her, Ranko panics.

Ranko:         [screaming] NO! NOT AGAIN!

As her screaming continues, the fragile scene in her mind is shattered. Opening her eyes, Ranko feels her heart hammer in her chest, her body beaded with sweat.

Cologne:      [hopping upstairs] Child, are you ok?

Ranko:         Ye...No, I'm not. Forgive the outburst Elder. I think I need to be leaving now.

Wiping the tears away from her face, Ranko runs downstairs and out of the Nekohanten. Watching the redhead leave, Cologne sighs.

Cologne:       Even now, she is still haunted by the past...I had hoped she'd overcome that. Whatever is tormenting her, she needs to confront it, or it may tear her up from the inside. *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Author's Note:

1)     Well, I said that this chapter would take a while. I didn't realize just how badly writer's block would set in.

2)     Yes, I did borrow a few lines straight from Resolution. I probably will do so again...

3)     There is more to the past year...I'm just not going to explain it yet. Things are about to warm up real quickly.

4)     With any luck, I will find a medium between my detail-oriented chapters and my dialogue oriented chapters.

Next Chapter: Chapter 4 – Thunderstruck (Artist: AC/DC, Album: The Razor's Edge)