Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Trial By Fire ❯ Chapter 2 - Headstrong ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Trial By Fire

Section I: Melodies of Life

Chapter 2: Headstrong

Author: Jial Silverthorn (jial_silverthorn@hotmail.com)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

<....> denotes a thought, not verbally spoken. When it involves Ranma/Ranko/Akane, the other(s) can possibly ‘hear’ it.

[....] denotes a feeling or a short action, usually before speech takes place.

*....* denotes a sound effect

(....) denotes writing

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Walking along the fence, Ranko does her best to curb the volatile mix of feelings running through her body; hate, anger, sorrow, loneliness. Focusing on the task ahead, her mind settles down...a little. Hopping off of the fence, Ranko peeks into the Nekohanten, where Cologne and Tofu are busy talking quietly.

Ranko:          <Ever since that sister tribe got started here, Cologne’s been tryin’ ta tell Tofu everything she knows. And in some ways, I think he enjoys it...After all, if you do not try to pass on your knowledge, it goes to waste when you are gone.>

Feeling a tap on her shoulder, Ranko looks down as Cologne sits there on her staff, her arms crossed.

Cologne:        Well, are you going to come in, or have you decided to stand outside all day and look useful?

Walking into the Nekohanten, Ranko grabs a chair and sits next to Dr. Tofu.

Ranko:          So, is she talkin’ your ear off again?

Dr. Tofu:       There are many things worse than learning Ranko. You of all people should know that. Besides, it is interesting how much Cologne actually knows, and I am grateful that she wishes to enlighten me.

Cologne:        [behind Ranko] He is right, Ranko. Now, how are you doing?

Ranko:          I’m doing fine...

Cologne:        Lying gets you nowhere, child. I can tell that you are recovering from an emotional storm. Now, do you care to change that story, or will I have to wring it out of you?

Ranko:          Jeez, I can’t fool anybody today. To be honest, I almost wish I were dead again. At least then, people had an excuse for not knowing who I was...

Dr. Tofu:       What’s going on? You’re usually the cheerful one. I thought it was Ranma who enjoyed the self-pity routine...when he can get away with it.

Ranko:          Well, I guess we never realized just how much trouble I would have adjusting to life, especially mine, or rather the lack thereof.

Cologne:        Sounds like you’re having trouble with people who can barely get past the fact that you are Ranma’s sister.

Ranko:          How would you know this old ghoul?

Cologne:        [smiling] Watch what people say, and how they say it, and you find out they speak volumes with a single sentence. But, I do see your cause for concern. It doesn’t help that he has refused to get rid of his curse, even though he has a cure.

Dr. Tofu:       Indeed. The curse may have adverse effects should anything drastic happen to him in one form and not the other.

Ranko:          What’s your point? Bro wants to keep the curse as a reminder of what has happened in the past. He can’t admit it around mom, but I think he misses the panda, if only to beat him up again.

Cologne:        [seriously] What Genma did was in many ways inexcusable, so his being gone does not affect me one bit. That’s Ranma’s problem to deal with though. Today, I think you had better focus on yourself. If you are to the point where death is almost a welcome thought again, you need help.

Ranko:          Don’t worry...I may be feelin’ down, but I won’t do anything rash. Even with the diminished power of the rings, I am still nearly indestructible. That’s one thing I came to talk to you about. We’ve found that there IS a limit to some of the powers that transferred to me.

Cologne:        Oh? You mean there are limits? Given how much you and your brother are alike, I was wondering. So tell me, what have you found out?

Ranko:          First, I can fall out of range for them to ‘hear’ me. Of course, that only applies if bro is out of his cursed form.  And Acchan and I aren’t really linked, so that comes as no surprise. I think the limit was about 5 miles or so...

Cologne:        That short? What else?

Ranko:          Well, that’s the only thing right now. Obviously we haven’t tried anything with the healing, nor do we want to. As to the feedback loop for combining attacks, that seems to be limitless. However, we don’t want people freaking out, so we haven’t tested that out lately, either.

Dr. Tofu:       Forgive me Ranko, but what of the emotional feedback issue? I thought that was getting to be a problem.

Ranko:          While it is inconvenient, I don’t think there’s much we can do about it. Bro tries to stay out of his cursed form when he’s feeling down. That seems the best way to deal with it, but we are always tryin’ new ways to avoid trouble with our emotions.

Dr. Tofu:       And what about the twins? Is there anything new? The fact that they have started talking is...remarkable. Although, when you consider the parents, it should come as no surprise.

Ranko:          Well, my best guess is that the rings are to blame. Since we all share our thoughts, it makes it easier to learn things for the three of us. So, it’s possible that the twins learned how to talk from that aspect. Can’t say how right that is, since this is relatively new. I still remember the first time Yume said ‘Mama Ranma.’ In fact, bro still has trouble with that nickname...even today.

Cologne:        Oh? That’s unusual, even for him. <If I didn’t know better...I’d almost think that Ranma enjoys both sides of being a parent.>

Ranko:          Hey, I thought ya said we were gonna talk about me. How did we get focused on the twins and bro?

Dr. Tofu:       Well, to be honest, it is nice to hear how things are going in your life, especially since you three have been busy at the university lately.

Ranko:          Well, now it’s just bro and Acchan, I’m afraid. As long as I keep having trouble focusing on basic things, I think school is a bit too much for me. Besides, I’m learning a lot from mom. She’s grateful to have someone to talk as of late, although the twins seem to keep her mood up.

Cologne:        I imagine this did not go over well with Ranma; your decision regarding further schooling that is.

Ranko:          Ya could put it that way. Course, he quickly realized that I had made up my mind, and he’d have more luck tryin’ ta teach a rock to think.

Cologne:        [chuckling] Yes, you and your brother are nothing short of impossible once your minds are made up. So, do you have anything in mind?

Ranko:          Not yet...For now, I’m content to try to get a normal life going before I find a direction to take it in.

Cologne:        True; besides, your brother has effectively managed to deter most of the people interested in you. It’d be nice to see you in the same situation as Akane.

Dr. Tofu:       Elder, please be patient. After all, it took a long time before Ranma settled down.

Cologne:        And what of you, doctor? When shall we hear the good news from Kasumi?

Dr. Tofu:       [blushing] That’s not my place to say. Why do you ask?

Cologne:        You know better than anyone that I am not immortal. I may be old, wise, and feisty, but I am not immortal. I hope to see all four of the future generations before my time is up. Nobody lives forever, although I do not see why someone would want to, either.

Ranko:          Hey, old ghoul; I’m going to upstairs real quick. I need to do some thinking and I don’t believe that’s possible at home right now, soundproofing or no...

Cologne:        Be my guest. This place is too empty at the end of the day, now that Shampoo and Mousse have moved out. If your brother manages to find his way over here anytime soon, I will direct him to where you are, if he can’t find you himself.

Ranko:          Thank you, Elder.

Standing up, Ranko places her chair on a nearby table and heads upstairs. Cologne and Dr. Tofu resume their discussion, although the topic has changed.

Dr. Tofu:       So, what do you think; about Ranko, that is.

Cologne:        She’s much like her brother, although a little more extreme with her emotions. Her life can go in any direction now; the only question is where she will take it...

Dr. Tofu:       And what of ‘the dream that came true’?

Cologne:        As to Masa & Yume, time will tell. Hopefully, those two are granted an easier life than their parents. Sadly, I do not think that is possible. It is always quietest before the storm, and the quiet has lasted too long for my taste...

Dr. Tofu:       And what of Shampoo and Mousse? Little has been heard from them as of late.

Cologne:        As well it should be. Those two have fallen into a dangerous game. It is difficult to tell whether Mousse is succeeding in taming Shampoo or whether she has Mousse bending to her will. Either way, I see good things for them, once this clears up.

Dr. Tofu:       That is good to hear, especially given their extensive past.

Cologne:        Now, are you thoroughly bored? Or can I continue what we were discussing before Ranko showed up?

Dr. Tofu:       By all means, Elder...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Author’s Note: One thing that is being done on purpose is my switching through the language patterns for Ranma/Ranko/Akane. After all, they have attended a university for a year and even someone as thick as Ranma would have a more diversified vocabulary. So if it seems like I’m using two different speech patterns, I am. If it is too confusing, I will do my best to work around it. I do not see a reason to drop some of their more familiar phrases, etc. All questions, etc. should be diverted to my e-mail or reviews. Personally, it does not matter too much which option is used. Sadly, you guys have to actually wait for the next chapter. This one was already mostly done when the last one went up, so I just finished it off today.

Next Chapter: Chapter 3 – Somewhere I Belong (Artist: Linkin Park, Album: Meteora)