Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Trial By Fire ❯ Chapter 1 - Numb ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Trial By Fire

Section I: Melodies of Life

Chapter 1: Numb

Author: Jial Silverthorn (jial_silverthorn@hotmail.com)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

<....> denotes a thought, not verbally spoken. When it involves Ranma/Ranko/Akane, the other(s) can possibly ‘hear’ it.

[....] denotes a feeling or a short action, usually before speech takes place.

*....* denotes a sound effect

(....) denotes writing

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Silently, Ranko enters the Tendo Dojo, her battle aura in full force, tears streaking down her face. Ignoring everyone around her, Ranko heads out to the koi pond, the mixture of rage and sadness boiling over. Stalking over to one of the boulders, Ranko slams her fist into it, driving her fist a foot and a half deep into the rock. Feeling the momentum stop, she breaks down, the rage subsiding; leaving her with an overwhelming surge of sorrow. Slumping to the ground, tears begin to reform at the corners of her eyes.

Ranko:           [crying] What the hell is wrong with me? Why can't I seem to do anything right anymore?!

Cautiously, Ranma and Akane enter the area, a worried look shared between them.

Ranma:           Ok sis, I understand that you are stressed out, but trashing a boulder isn't exactly the best way to let off steam ya know.

Akane:           *sighing* 'Ko-chan, you really need to calm down if we're to help you at all. Now, would ya care to tell us what has got you this ticked off?

Glancing up, Ranko smiles weakly.

Ranko:           Hey guys. I figured that ya would catch up with me eventually. It's not like I made any effort at all to hide, but still...

Ranma sits down next to Ranko, letting her head rest on his shoulders. Gently, he begins rocking back and forth, trying to calm her down. Deciding that it wasn’t something that everyone needed to hear, Ranma shifts his focus into mental contact with his sister.

Ranma:           <Sis, you have been holding in all these emotions. Take it from me; don't. You only wind up hurtin’ yourself, and eventually everyone that you want ta keep safe...>

Akane:           <Yeah, if this is any indication, things are really bad...and we aren't gonna stand by and let you take this on yourself.>

Ranko:           <Bro, you know what this empty feeling in my heart feels like. As much as everyone has done for me...I still feel empty in some ways. It's not that I am ungrateful, but it's not like anyone can help me with this problem.>

Akane:           <You are right on that point. Over this past year, you've been fairly lonely. I mean, you gave Kuno a date. I think the only good that came out of that was, it finally got him off your case for good...>

Ranko:           <Jeez, can't hide anything, can I? Well, at least not from you two, especially when I'm visibly falling apart. I guess it's a good thing though, as I'm not in the mood to try to explain everything.>

Ranma:           <We know how you feel, sis. We've both been through similar things before, you know that firsthand. So, just feel free to speak your mind. Worst thing that could happen is that we won't like what we hear, but I'll listen, no matter what.>

Nodding her head, Akane keeps an eye on the door, making sure they had a small measure of privacy.

Ranko:           <Ya might wind up eating those words, but no matter now. I suppose some of my concerns are petty in some ways. After all, things could be far worse in my life. The main problem is that I'm still unsure of WHO I am...>

Standing up, Ranko begins walking away from Ranma, her mind numb from the painful emotions that are trying to resurface again.

Akane:           <That’s silly; you’re Ranko Saotome, Ranma’s sister...>

Ranko spins around to face Akane, her face a tightly controlled mask of rage. Balling up her fists, tears begin to well up in the corner of her eyes again.

Ranko:           [yelling] THAT’S...THE...PROBLEM!!!! Everybody knows me as “Ranma’s sister”, and not as Ranko Saotome. Almost nobody knows me for WHO I am, or what I’ve done! Bro, don’t take this the wrong way, but many people seem to still see me as you. And I am sick of that...I need to be more like me, and less like you.

Ranma:           Sis, we know who you are, and that’ll never change. As for everybody else, I guess you’re right. The curse isn’t helpin’ your case much either...

Moving next to Ranko, Ranma reaches out to her, only to have Ranko flinch away.

Ranko:           Please, bro, don’t...Don’t touch me right now. I know you both mean well for me, but if I never learn how to fall down again, I won’t know how it feels to get back up. You two have been holding me up when everything goes wrong, and now I have forgotten what failure IS anymore.

Akane:           <Ranma, let her be. She...has a point. Failure is as much a part of life, as success.>

Sullenly, Ranma heads back to where Akane is standing, and looks carefully at Ranko. Gone is the pride, and self-assuredness she normally displays. Now all Ranma sees is a frightened, lonely sister, who needs to be left that way for now.

Ranma:           Sis, what do ya plan on doin’ about this? This isn’t something that’ll go away in a day or so. You’ve gotta have some sorta plan So how can we help?

Akane:           What’s this WE stuff?

Cocking his head to the right, Ranma looks at Akane, who promptly breaks up laughing.

Akane:           I thought that by now, you had realized that I’d help you, no matter what...

Ranko:           [her voice wavering] Well, I’m not going back to the university...

Ranma:           WHAT?! Hold on, you’re the one out of the three of us that was doin’ the best. Now ya just wanna give that up?!

Ranko:           Wait a sec, hear me out. I’m only taking a hiatus from school, bro. I’m going back when things settle down in my life. It does me no good to be wasting good money on school, when I am unfocused. If I can’t put my mind first in this, then I will not waste my time. Besides, I think the twins enjoy having me around, since ‘Mama Ranma’ is away so much.

Ranma:           [nervously] Yeah, you’re right. Besides, you’re closer to mom, and I know that. So long as you plan on going back to school...fine. Besides, who am I to change your mind?  I know you are just telling us what your plans are. Both of our heads are as thick as rocks. When we get something set in our minds, that’s it.

Akane:           *giggling* Isn’t that the truth, Ma-chan? Listen ‘Ko; you are who you are. You may not know what that means right now, but given some time, you will find the answers you need. I do have to agree with you though; your mother enjoys having the twins around, both generations of them. After all, look at the blockhead over here. Who’d have expected him to develop so well?

Ranma:           Acchan, not you too...will ya quit with that nickname?

Akane:           I thought I had rid you of your shyness...Looks like I haven’t cleared everything up yet.

Ranko:           Well, if you two have any further plans, take them upstairs. I know that the twins are asleep, and hopefully they’ll stay that way. Me, I plan on visiting the Elder. With everything settling down, I think that she’s beginning to get bored.

Akane:           Well, just don’t get yourself into trouble, k? The LAST thing we need is a repeat performance of what your brother had going.

Ranko:           [sticking her tongue out] Like I’m that dense...or stupid. Besides, I think that I’d have to leave Tokyo to try to start anything like that. I think that bro has got everyone here afraid for their lives if they even come near me...No matter, I’ve got to get going.

Akane:           Ranko? One last piece of advice for you; don’t stick your tongue out unless you plan to use it.

Ranko blanches and quickly leaves the room, leaving a bemused Akane behind looking at a very red Ranma.

Akane:           As to you...we have things to discuss upstairs...Mama Ranma.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Author’s Note: First, the Section I does imply that I have a Section II in mind, should this story do well. This story will primarily focus on Ranko. There are two main reasons:

1)     Ranko was/is the major loose end that Kalen left behind in Resolution.

2)     I am not very adept at utilizing the original Ranma cast. Ranko is less tied down for her character.

So, if Ranma/Akane/etc. seem OOC, I apologize in advance. I am going to do the best that I can with them, nothing more.  If I have the time, I will re-do the chapters if they are glaringly off, but I will not spend too much time re-writing the same chapter to fix a few lines. And, as always, more reviews/e-mails = faster work.

And to those of you who were expecting this chapter to immediately follow the disclaimer, I regret making you wait, but I do not put up a chapter that is incomplete. So, be patient with the uploading of chapters. Some may show up instantly. Others, may take a while...

Next Chapter: Chapter 2 – Headstrong (Artist: Trapt, Album: Trapt)