Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Trial By Fire ❯ Chapter 11 - My Way ( Chapter 11 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Trial By Fire

Section I: Melodies of Life

Chapter 11: My Way

Author: Jial Silverthorn (jial_silverthorn@hotmail.com)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

<....> denotes a thought, not verbally spoken. When it involves Ranma/Ranko/Akane, the other(s) can possibly ‘hear’ it.

[....] denotes a feeling or a short action, usually before speech takes place.

*....* denotes a sound effect

(....) denotes writing

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Looking at the breathless red-head in front of her, Cologne smiles as she begins re-thinking one of her plans.

Cologne:        <This is...interesting. I was not expecting any of those three to show up for a while. Oh well, time to adapt.>

Ranko:          Where...how is Shinai doin’?

Cologne:        To answer the first part of your question, he is here. And as for the second, he is recovering, and at this moment, is asleep.

Ranko’s face darkens as she hears this news, her reaction catching Cologne by surprise.

Cologne:        Is there a message I can relay to him for you?

Ranko:          ...No. Tell me Elder, what do ya know about him?

Cologne:        Nice try, daughter. I can and will not tell you anything about him. You must ask him these questions yourself.

Ranko glares at Cologne, and looks at the stairs leading up.

Ranko:          Any idea on when he’ll be out and about soon, or am I gonna haveta camp by his bed to get any answers?

Cologne:        *laughing* While your pursuit of knowledge regarding Shinai is admirable, I must halt it for today, at the very least.

Ranko:          Ya know, it wouldn’t hurt ta give me a straight answer...

Cologne:        Maybe not, but I did give my word, child. Now, since you are here, I might as well drop some unwelcome news on you.

Ranko:          Bad news? I guess that’s more than I’ve gotten outta ya today so far.

Cologne:        No need to be cheeky with me, as your questions will be answered in time. No, I am afraid that you are in need of re-training. At the very least, your skills are dull.

Ranko:          [angrily] What do you mean DULL?!

Cologne sighs and taps a few pressure points on Ranko’s body, releasing some of the tension. Pushing her into a chair with her staff, Cologne stares at her student’s face.

Cologne:        It was merely a statement of fact. While you and Ranma were able to defeat Shinai, neither of you did it easily, and you both have proven that your control has slipped. You are an even bigger wreck than your brother, whether you like to admit it or not.

Ranko:          [sheepishly] Maybe...maybe you are right. I mean, the only people we practice with are each other now. Now that Ryoga doesn’t get lost anymore, we hardly seem him around. Shampoo and Mousse have yet to return to Nerima, and I can’t bring myself ta spar with Ucchan as of late.

Cologne:        It is good that you realized that there is still some room for improvement. While the three of you are excellent martial artists, in a sense you have grown soft. There has been no fresh blood, no new competitions, nothing to stir your spirits. I can not say what it is, or when it will be ready, but I have a plan in motion to alleviate this problem. Until such time, I recommend that you work on your emotional control more. It seems to be weak as of late.

Ranko:          [blushing] You have no idea there...Anyways, just how bad off IS he?

Cologne:        You need not worry, none of the damage your brother dealt was permanent. The boy will be fine in time, although the revelation regarding the curse has thrown him for a loop.

Ranko:          Heh, bro was...is still angry at him too. Although I think he wants Shinai ta explain why he did what...

Cologne:        [interrupting] If you are so concerned about him, why not look in on him? He is resting upstairs after all.

Ranko:          [hesitating] No...I shouldn’t. Pardon me, but I must be leaving. When he is up ta it, have him stop by the Dojo. Acchan has already said that he’s welcome there, if only to explain what went wrong today. As to your offer regarding training, we’ll talk about that later.

Looking up at the ceiling, Ranko turns around and quickly walks out of the Nekohanten, her cheeks still slightly red. Looking up, she notices a familiar woman walking towards her, a smile ever present on her face.

Nodoka:        Hello daughter, how are you doing today?

Ranko:          Hey mom, headin’ somewhere special? You are normally watching the twins right now.

Nodoka:        I did have an errand to run today, so Akane is busy watching the twins. You really should hurry back, your brother seems angry about something, and I was hoping you could help him. You still do that so well, even now.

Ranko:          I’ll...I’ll try. Although I think that what he needs is beyond my abilities, but I will try.

Giving her daughter a quick hug, Nodoka walks into the Nekohanten, her cheerful face slipping a little. Looking at Cologne, she takes a seat next to the Amazon matriarch and rests her hands on the table.

Nodoka:        Forgive me for being blunt, but why did you make a point of having me come out here today? Ranma is in a VERY foul mood, Ranko seems to be lost, and Akane IS at a loss for how to handle those two, let alone juggle the twins.

Sighing, Cologne looks at the woman seated in front of her. Picking over her options, she opts for the direct approach.

Cologne:        Well, I may have part of the answers for you at this moment. That is half of the reason I asked you to hurry. This...child is restless and I was hoping you could deal with him while he is incapacitated.

Nodoka:        [frowning] Is he so troublesome that now is the only time I can speak with him?

Cologne:        Troublesome, no. He is much like Ranma, too stubborn. While both Doctor Tofu and I think he is due for weeks if not months of bed rest, I know that he will try to be mobile tomorrow.

Nodoka:        Forgive me, but what does a problem child like him have to do with my children’s current attitudes?

Cologne:        This boy was the catalyst; at least in Ranma’s case. As to Ranko, he certainly added fuel to a very dangerous fire that I suspect was already burning.

Nodoka:        I see. Has he given any explanation for his actions thus far?

Cologne:        [shaking her head] Most of the mishaps have been just that; mishaps. Bad timing, impatience, and a lack of knowledge has made most of what he has done a disaster. The one ‘controlled’ incident, he has yet to have sufficient time to explain himself. As it stands, he will do so as soon as he is able to be up and about.

Nodoka:        I understand he is recovering here; make I speak to him?

Cologne:        [glancing at the stairs] Somehow, I doubt he is sleeping as he should be. If he is however, I must ask that you return later. Ranma laid him out pretty well.

Nodoka nods and follows the diminutive figure upstairs to where Shinai is laying down, his fiery eyes focused on the two women. Cologne sighs and hands the broken fighter his tablet and pen again, a disapproving look on her face.

Cologne:        Somehow I knew that you would refuse to rest. I take it you have heard most of, if not everything. As such, you have no excuse to evade her questions. However, if you could not tell from the conversation or the resemblance, this is Ranma and Ranko’s mother, Nodoka.

Shinai nods and grips his writing tablet tightly. Slowly, the words begin to take shape as his writing is still shaky.

Shinai:          (To be honest, I was in a meditative state when Ranko came by. Sleep refuses to come to me at this time for some reason.) <Never mind that when I heard her voice, I woke up automatically.>

Nodoka:        Elder, may I have some time alone with this young man. I have a few things I would speak with him about.

Cologne:        It makes no difference to me, as the boy should be asleep. If he wishes to continue being miserable and awake it is his choice.

Shinai:          <Either she knows about what happened today, and I am going to be called to task about it, or she has no clue, and is looking for answers. Neither route will be fun...or easy to explain.>

Turning around, Cologne sighs as she hears the door close. Sitting down in a chair, she begins devising a training regimen for Ranko.

Nodoka:        First of all, I would like to apologize for how my children have acted towards you thus far.

Shinai:          (There is no apology needed. Ranko was not herself when I first met her, and to be honest, I deserved the beating that Ranma gave me.)

Nodoka:        [sitting down next to the bed] Speaking of which, I have a very easy question for you; whatever you did to Ranma, was it intended for my daughter?

Shinai’s eyes widen at the question. Letting the pen drop from his hand in shock, he barely nods. 

Nodoka:        Oh don’t act so surprised...if you had known about the curse, you would have been more cautious. The way you acted suggested that you had no such knowledge and you thought that I only had one red-headed daughter.

Grabbing his pen again, his writing is slightly more stable than before, fatigue showing in the speed at which the words are formed.

Shinai:          (That is true. Even though I knew what the cursed training grounds were, I did not expect to run into a victim of it, at least not so soon in my life. Nor did I know what forms the curses from that area bestow, so to see Ranma and his curse, was a bit of a shock, both mentally and physically. Your son handled that latter part very well I might add.)

Nodoka:        The ‘curse’ that my son has is no longer a curse in the strictest sense. It has enabled him to see life through two sets of eyes, from points of view never given to most people. He is neither a victim, nor under any burden from it any longer. It took some work, but he has realized this, and I would appreciate it if you respected that.

Shinai:          (I regret what I said then. It must have taken a supreme force of will to overcome such a trial. Now, what else can I help you with today? I think I will follow Kho Lon’s advice and get some rest shortly.)

Nodoka:        What are your intentions regarding my daughter, Ranko?

Shinai:          (Please...explain what you mean. I see several answers and do not wish to mislead you.)

Nodoka:        As you wish, I will be blunt. Do you see yourself becoming involved with her? At first glance, today’s actions do imply that, although I will allow you a chance to explain them later. Things are rarely as they first appear, especially when it involves MY family.

Shinai:          (At this time, no...I can not and will not attempt to predict the future though. As to what happened today, I will explain that to the one person who I am obligated to explain it to; Ranma. Whether he chooses to explain my actions, I leave it to him to decide.)

Nodoka:        I will respect that choice. Now, why did you mention the future, if you have no interest at this time?

Shinai forces himself into a sitting position, ignoring the waves of pain running through his body. Closing his eyes, he uses the pain to focus his mind, breathing slowly. His writing is slow and distorted, barely legible.

Shinai:          (She...she has brought something into my life that I am unaccustomed to. Even when she was angry at me, she still was warm and caring, and I felt it clearly. Granted, this is probably something that everyone feels around her, but it is...nice. On the other hand, I have grown up in and have become accustomed to the cold.)

Opening his eyes slowly, Shinai looks at the Saotome matriarch and lets his head drop a little.

Nodoka:        Interesting...you do not see a problem with remaining alone for the rest of your life?

Shinai:          (That was one of the first lessons I was taught. I have a greater chance at being alone in life than having someone to share it with. Also, while I am not without feeling, I have long since locked away the warmer side of them, as they unbalanced my training.)

Nodoka:        That being said, I will still treat you as I would treat any other person pursuing my daughter. I do not tolerate people toying with her feelings, never doubt that. The day that you forget and mistreat my daughter; that will be the day that Ranma truly hurts you.

Shinai:          (I understand your need to keep your daughter safe. She does not deserve a person who does not or will not care for her. As such, that description includes me. I only seek to both learn from and train your children.)

Nodoka:        I understand that, but I also understand that the future is not set in stone. As the future shifts, so do feelings. If I see that you are playing with her feelings, I will have you dealt with. In short, if you are not going to be a meaningful part of her life, I do not want to see you in it at all. I will let you know when and if it is necessary for you to make this decision. Since your feelings are not yet swayed one way or the other, I will tolerate your presence, but you have been warned. Disregard this warning at your peril, as you will not receive it again.

Shinai:          [nodding weakly] (Your voice carries the weight of truth and conviction. One day, you will have your answer, as will Ranko. I do not know when that day is, but it will come.)

Nodoka:        Well then, I should let you get some rest, as you are still injured. I appreciate the time you made to answer the questions that I did ask.

Shinai:          (One more thing, if it is not a curse, what is Ranma...)

Nodoka:        I would call it a blessing or a gift. We still refer to it as a curse out of habit, nothing more. Call it what you will, but never assume that it is a negative part of my son’s life.

Shinai:          (You refer to him as your son; does that mean you only see the one side of his...gift?)

Nodoka:        No, I tried to at one point. Then I realized that even under his female visage, he is still Ranma, and at his core, he is still my son. Nothing can change that, be it magic or otherwise. And if he had chosen to remain my daughter for the rest of his life, I would have accepted that too...in time.

Shinai:          (I see...thank you for answering that. I was unsure of how to speak to him, regarding his gift. I...I was afraid of offending him more than I already have.)

Nodoka:        You need not fear Ranma unless you give him cause to be angry. Today seems to be something abnormal for him, and I hope to see it sorted out. Now get some rest young man, so that you CAN explain yourself.

Shinai grits his teeth and stands up, wobbling slightly. Bowing before Nodoka, Shinai’s silver hair covers his face like a veil. Feeling his legs continue their wobbling, he lets his legs fold under him, collapsing back onto the futon, a fresh wave of pain passing through his body.

Nodoka:        You need not have done that, but thank you child. I hope you recover soon, as you owe my children an explanation. Know this; as long as you do not abuse this, you are always welcome at the Dojo. Come by whenever you wish, be it for sparring, talking, or if you need a friend.  

Shinai:          (Thank you. May you have a good day, and give your children my thanks.)

Nodoka bows slightly and heads downstairs, a slight smile on her face. Looking at the figure seated in the chair, the smile widens further.

Cologne:        You seem happy. Were some of his answers favorable?

Nodoka:        I was not sure what to expect from him. It is almost as though he is two people. He is a trained and empty fighter on the outside. Somewhere inside him is a person who cares for more than his Art. I only hope he embraces it before it is too late.

Cologne:        I do not see that as a likely occurrence. The manner in which he was trained is rather strict in that regard. I detest using this example, but it is akin to what Genma did with Ranma throughout his training. The softer emotions that life grants us cloud his judgment, and are to be avoided at all costs.

Nodoka:        And as we have seen, Genma was a royal fool in his methods. In that respect, so are Shinai’s. Sacrificing kindness, love, and caring to forge a person into a weapon is...wasteful. It did succeed in creating a steel-like persona, but even steel will fail in time.

Cologne:        With him, we will have to wait and see. He has a lot of potential for change, but he has an equal amount of power in the path that he is walking now.

Nodoka:        I still say it is a waste of a fine young man, but we will have to let the future decide that for us. Thank you for your time Elder, I will see you again, as I am overdue to relieve Akane of the twins.

Cologne:        You are always a welcome sight here, Nodoka. And do not worry too much about Shinai, I think you will have enough issues at home to wrestle with.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Seiryu:          Nodoka has a gift for seeing that which is hidden, a commendable attribute.

Suzaku:         Yeah, she is sharp, but also wrong.

Seiryu:          What makes you so sure of that?

Suzaku:         The reason that I am so sure, is I saw how you trained the boy. You left no margin for error, as this was your last chance.

Seiryu:          Eh, that may not be entirely accurate. I seem to have run across a few...unexpected things. Most of which center around Ranko.

Suzaku:         What is so special about her? She has the skill of her brother, true. Yet, ever since Shinai ran into her, you have been keeping a close eye on Ranko; why?

Seiryu:          Of all the people, I thought that you would be the last person I’d have to explain this to. Ranko was, and to many degrees is still a random factor. I knew nothing about her, so I have been busy, and I will admit...I am worried.

Suzaku:         The few times you do think, you end up thinking too hard, you fool. Just wait and see.

Seiryu:          If you do not believe me, go do your own research, and you will see what I mean. Until then, you know not what you speak of, and would be wise to stay silent.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Author’s Note:

1)       Bits and pieces...more will be revealed. And for once, I didn’t take months ta update this either...hehe.

Next Chapter: Chapter 12 – Obsession (Artist: See-Saw, Album: .hack//OST)