Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Trial By Fire ❯ Chapter 12 - Obsession ( Chapter 12 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Trial By Fire

Section I: Melodies of Life

Chapter 12: Obsession

Author: Jial Silverthorn (jial_silverthorn@hotmail.com)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

<....> denotes a thought, not verbally spoken. When it involves Ranma/Ranko/Akane, the other(s) can possibly ‘hear’ it.

[....] denotes a feeling or a short action, usually before speech takes place.

*....* denotes a sound effect

(....) denotes writing

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Opening his eyes slowly, Shinai groans as his sore muscles begin moving slowly. Forcing himself into a sitting position, his jaw drops as he notices a familiar red-head passed out in a chair near where he was sleeping. Gulping, he shakily gets to his feet and quietly walks downstairs, his wispy frame wobbling from a sore lack of energy. Stumbling his way into a chair, he lets his head rest on the table, his mind a chaotic mess.

Shinai:          <Now, the question is, which twin is it? More likely to be Ranko, but I can not and will not allow myself to make that same assumption again without verifying that first.>

Hearing a thump on the table, Shinai looks up and stares at a bowl of hot ramen and his notepad, a disapproving Cologne looking at him.

Cologne:        I almost don’t want to know why you are up and about right now child. However, I would assume that your visitor has caught you unawares.

Nodding his head, Shinai begins eating his ramen slowly, his hands barely able to hold the chopsticks in his hand. Feeling the warmth pass through his body, his mind begins to continue waking up, the process aided by the good food.

Cologne:        Well, that girl is stubborn. Two days after that encounter with Ranma, she came in and declared that she wanted answers; here and now. However, I refused to give them, and since you were in such a deep sleep, waking you was not an option. So, she has been sitting there for the past three days, barely doing anything else.

A clattering sound is heard as Shinai drops the chopsticks, a puzzled look on his face. Sighing, he picks them back up and continues to eat his food.

Shinai:          <This could be good, or bad. I may have really made her brother angry, and she may be acting as a messenger. If not...then what is her intent?>

Cologne:        Tell me, are you feeling any better? I imagine that five days of sleep helped, but then again, I know what condition Ranma left you in.

Shinai nods weakly and sets his chopsticks down as he finishes off the hot ramen. Slowly, his thin, spidery writing appears on the pad of paper, the pain visible on his face.

Shinai:          (What did you tell her?)

Cologne:        You really should learn to trust others...I told her nothing, other than you would explain things when you were feeling up to it. She took it upon herself to watch for the time when that would happen.

Shinai:          (Forgive me...Now, why is she here and not with her family? I imagine her brother is still sore with me, and this must look...bad to him.)

Cologne chuckles and shakes her head as she remembers the ‘discussion’ that Nodoka had with her son, as told to her by Ranko.

Shinai:          (Did she even say what she wanted to know?)

Cologne:        Sadly, no. She told me that since I wouldn’t give her the answers...

Ranko:          [interrupting] ...Then I would not give her the questions. Ya know, the least you coulda done was let me know you were awake, Shinai.

Shinai stands up and bows slightly, his face a mixture of sadness of pain.

Ranko:          Hey now, no feeling down, ok? You still look like death warmed over there man.

Shinai nods and sits down again, motioning for the petite redhead to join him. Shrugging, Ranko sits down next to Shinai, in clear view of his notepad.

Shinai:          (I’ll admit my body is still recovering from that fiasco at your house. And I still have yet to explain what happened that day.)

Ranko:          You got that right. All I know is that Mom came home and dragged bro off into his room. When that talk was over, he was still angry, but it was a different kind of anger. Instead of the rapid, burning rage from earlier that day, it was almost imperceptible. He almost seemed calm, but then I noticed the lingering traces. Whatever he was told, it has made him very...patient. It’s kinda eerie ta be honest.

Shinai:          (I promised your mother that I would explain my motives from that day, and I still will. I ask for more patience, as I know that this little out of bed excursion won’t last long.)

Cologne:        Oh? I almost expected you to want to head to the Dojo today. I imagine that if you asked nicely, Ranko here would have helped you get there, even if you had to be carried.

Ranko:          [blushing] Quiet ya old bat! Listen Shinai, I...I can’t force ya to say anything you don’t want to. Just don’t make us wait long. The longer that bro has ta sit and stew, the meaner he’ll get towards you when you finally decide to explain things.

Shinai:          (I understand. But I also know the limits of my body, and while I can push them aside for now, if I push too much, I will undo the healing that has taken place already. Tell your brother that in one week, I will be there to satisfy his curiosity...and yours.)

Ranko:          I’m gonna hold ya to that, and don’t think I wouldn’t carry your carcass there if I thought you were tryin’ ta weasel out of this. You have one more week of undisturbed rest, and then you will have to pay for your mistakes.

Akane:          <Sorry for pryin’ Ranko but, can I see you at the Dojo? It’s...it’s very important.>

Ranko:          <Can’t it wait? Shinai’s up and about. I’m actually talkin’ ta him right now...if you can call it that.>

Akane:          <You should know that I don’t ask ya to drop things like this. Just...please, come home.>

Ranko:          [sighing] <Ok, I’m on my way back. I just hope that whatever it is, it’s worth it.>

Akane:          <Trust me; it’ll be well worth it.>

Cologne:        Quite done with your little chat there daughter?

Ranko:          [sheepishly] Sorry about that. It appears that I am needed at home right now.

Cologne:        I am not the one you should apologize to. There is someone here who has no idea about what just happened.

Ranko:          Cripes, sorry ‘bout that Shinai. Look, I’ll explain what that was all about in a week ok?

Shinai:          (You make it sound like a have a choice. I will make sure that I am in decent shape, as I expect to spend all day there answering questions.)

Ranko:          Remember, one week, and no tryin’ ta wimp out. Take care, and do your best to not get hurt again before then.

Standing up, Ranko rushes out of the Nekohanten, wondering what had Akane in such an insistent mood.

Cologne:        Are you sure that you will be adequately recovered in case something goes wrong when you explain things to Ranma?

Shinai:          (It is not a matter of if I will be ready; I gave my word, I must be ready.)

Cologne:        A noble sentiment, if a little misguided.

Shinai:          (It appears that we have a lot to learn from each other Elder, as I always have a reason for my actions. You are more than welcome to accompany me on this trip next week, and you will see what I mean.)

Cologne:        I will be going, if only to ensure that Ranma behaves himself. Both he and his sister are...time bombs if you will. The only thing is, I do not know when they will go off, but I do know that if they do not resolve something shortly, things will get messy.

Shinai:          (Can you explain further? You have me at a loss here, as I have no idea what you speak of.)

Cologne:        I can not speak of a problem that has not been recognized as such. When they see the problem for what it is, maybe I can give you some answers. Otherwise, you will have to wait for them to shed some light on the matter. <Although, I imagine that Akane is taking matters into her own hands, judging by our last conversation.>

Shinai:          (I suppose that is only fair. Could you put this letter out to be mailed? I shouldn’t have to tell you this, but trying to open it will result in the letter being destroyed.)

Cologne:        [eyeing the letter warily] I understand that a degree of secrecy is needed, but could you give a small explanation?

Shinai:          (This letter is to a...friend. He was holding something for me, and I wish to retrieve it.)

Cologne:        Provided that it is nothing excessively dangerous, or lethal, then I will have no problems.

Shinai:          (Thank you...the package should arrive within ten days from the date that the letter is sent out. If I do not receive my package in two weeks, I will have to assume that the worst happened.)

Cologne takes the letter and sets it aside. Looking at the weary youth seated in front of her, she sighs and presses a series of points along his upper body.

Cologne:        You have about two minutes to find your way upstairs child, or else you will fall asleep wherever you are. Today has been a testament to how well you have healed, but you even admitted that pushing your body too hard was not a good idea.

Shinai:          (That I did; and I appreciate your help thus far. I think that when things calm down a bit, I will spend some time here paying you back.)

Pushing his body out of the chair, Shinai bows before the wizened figure seated on the table and begins walking upstairs, the strength slowly ebbing out of his body. Letting his body collapse onto the futon, a smile crosses his face.

Shinai:          <I wonder if she’ll be here when I wake up again...>

Hearing the light thump as Shinai falls into bed, Cologne smiles. Looking over the outside of the letter, she sighs.

Cologne:        <He’s good. There is a ki imprint on this...if the wrong individual opens this, it will burn up. Oh well, I did give my word to him after all. I see no reason to break it. Although, the response given to me by the tribe was...unexpected.>

Cologne pulls out a thin piece of paper and re-reads it, a sour look on her face.

Elder Kho Lon,

If you have indeed found a child of the Shin’yuu, keep him close. Do not let him out of your sights any longer than you must. Remember the lessons of Kato, and try to make him your friend, and we may add another powerful warrior to the Tribe. If not, learn what you can and safeguard him, as he must live to choose his successor, and if at all possible we wish it to be Ranma Saotome for reasons that you already know. Do nothing to force his hand, but do not let him have absolute control either. We are looking into his past, but so far, he is as much a ghost in history, as he is now. Shin’yuu are never easy to track, but we do not expect that to last long this time. Your decisions regarding the boy are trusted...do what you must.

 - It Is So Ordered By This Council

 *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Suzaku:         [angrily] SEIRYU! Where are you hiding, oh high and mighty jerk?!

Seiryu:          Hiding? Hardly. I assume you found the information that I was referring to.

Suzaku:         Of course I did. Ranko’s...condition does create a bit of a dilemma.

Seiryu:          Even now, you refuse to see that she has the potential to undo over a decade of our combined work. That or you refuse to admit it.

Suzaku:         I do see that danger, but it is minimal after all. Between his training and her instability, we have little to fear.

Seiryu:          And here I thought I was the arrogant one. I did not expect to have to explain this to you of all people. She lives both a blessed and chaotic life. That which does not normally happen, or should not happen has a higher rate of occurrence, almost to the point of a guarantee. She has her brother’s inherent chaos combined with and multiplied by her own unique condition.

Suzaku:         So you say. How will this affect Shinai? It is not as though the girl even cares for him.

Seiryu:          This is true for right now. However, all she has to do is plant the seed of caring within HIS heart, and it will break open that stone heart of his. You know he had a fair amount of empathic ability. Emotions were an open book to the boy. That’s the whole reason we had to cut off half of them...he would get overwhelmed without a counter-balance.

Suzaku:         Listen to yourself. You are speaking in terms of IF. I worry about things that are a little more than random chance you fool.

Seiryu:          You truly are sad. He already had plans on giving her the Mark of Honor. The fact that Ranma received it does not change that.

Suzaku:         The Mark is nothing. It only shows trust and respect for that person.

Seiryu:          Then you have forgotten something; trust is one of the first steps to caring about a person.

Suzaku:         We will see...after all, there is little more that we can do except watch. I still say you worry over nothing.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Author’s Note:

1)       Next chapter...things heat up a bit.

Next Chapter: Chapter 13 – Open Your Heart (Artist: See-Saw, Album: .hack//OST)