Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Who I Am ❯ Who I Am ( Prologue )

[ A - All Readers ]

"Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Archangel Bloodraven make's his debut in the Ranma 1/2 section!" The young redhead woman shouted as her two associates did the same. Suddenly three men in dark suits approached the booth.

"That's him!" One shouted, pointing to a girl with black hair hanging in a braid just past her shoulders with frost white bangs.

The girl in question grinned and jumped into the air landing several feet away. "So," She said reaching up with her left hand to grab her clothes at the right shoulder, only to pull them away and reveal that 'she' was really Archangel Bloodraven. "Glad to see you boys found me, but it doesn't matter. Ranma and company are property of Takahashi Rumiko, Iris is property of the Goo Goo Dolls, the idea was inspired by Tripolar Disorder's fic, Epiphany and I'm not making any money off this, so you boys can't touch me." He grinned and made as though to brush off his sleeve before a cloud of smoke enveloped him. "Enjoy the fic, and please review!"

When the smoke cleared he was gone.

Who I Am
By Archangel Nightshade Bloodraven

And I'd give up forever to touch you

"It's not fair." Ranko sobbed burying her face in her pillow as hot tears coursed down her cheeks.

"Funny." Nabiki said scrubbing her eyes on her sleeve. "You don't have to mourn today. Your mother is still very much alive."

"I can never hug her, never let her know who I am. To her I'm just Tendou Ranko. I can never be her son. That is why I mourn with you, for my mother is dead too."

Cause I know that you feel me somehow

For the first time in years, Nabiki felt a hot moisture course down her cheeks. She was crying... for Ranko. She realized with a start. "Ranma-"

"Ranko." The redhead spat her own name like a curse.

"Ranko, anything I could say would sound hollow even to myself, so I'm gonna leave you alone."

As she slipped towards the door Ranko raised her head and whispered. "Arigato Nabs'."

"Anytime sis." Nabiki whispered.

You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be

Akane sat on the floor holding an emotional Kasumi, letting the Tendou matriarch rest from her usual duties. Today always tore her up the most, not only because she had known mother the longest but because years in her absence had left Kasumi in her mother's shadow.

As Nabiki entered she gazed in wonder at the tears still flowing from her eyes. Akane opened her arms a bit wider, but the middle Tendou shook her head and sat on the couch absently stroking Akane's short hair. "Poor Ranko." She murmured. "Even with Nodoka around, she feels so alone..."

"Even with us?" Akane asked.

"Especially with us." Kasumi said. "The... haven the three of us have together is like a small slice of heaven. Even though she's a Tendou in name, her heart and soul are still that of a Saotome. And the one she needs this from, " She gestured to the three sisters. "can never know who she really is."

And I don't want to go home right now

"Um, hey you guys." A soft voice said from the door.

"Ranko!" Nabiki stood up, but Ranko waved her back down.

"It's all right Nabs." Ranko said. "I heard everything and you are right."

"Where are you going?" Akane asked.

"As much as it hurts," Ranko wiped a tear from her eyes. "I'm going home."

And all I can taste is this moment
And all I can breathe is your life

Ranko sighed sadly as she made her way through the streets, remembering all the good times she'd had with Nodaka, and the times she felt her heart break when mother mentioned Ranma.

Even so, this was better than nothing. The Tendou girls had nothing but each other.

But then they were all who they appeared to be.

As she walked on torn between love and loathing, the leaden sky opened up matching her mood and hiding her tears.

Cause sooner or later it's over
I just don't want to miss you tonight

"Ranko!" Nodaka dashed down the stairs and swept the sobbing redhead into her arms. "Ranko come inside! You'll catch the death of cold!"

The shivering girl bowed her head humbly and allowed herself to lead inside where Nodaka sent her to a hot bath while she dried her sodden clothes.

A short while later Ranko came down in a borrowed kimono and sat with Nodaka as she poured tea. "Ranko, what are you doing out in the rain?"

In an act born of hurt and impulsiveness Ranko threw herself in Nodaka's arms. "I miss my mother!" She sobbed.

Nodaka cooed and sighed, soothing the hurt and frightened girl, before wrapping a thick quilt around the both of them rocking the redhead to sleep.

"I'm here Ranma." She whispered. "No matter what face you wear I'll always be here."

And I don't want the world to see me
Cause I don't think that they'd understand

Nodaka cradled her... son? Daughter? Child... in her arms for hours as her tears streamed silently down her face. Damn you Genma! She thought harshly. Damn your insistence to make a 'man amongst men' of our son. Now I can't even see him as he truly is.

But still, having 'Ranko' here gave her some small measure of comfort. To know that her son was still alive made her heart soar, even if holding Ranko in her arms was breaking her heart. Why was he so scared of letting her know the truth?

When everything's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am

"The seppuku pact, Ranma? Is that it?" Nodaka whispered stroking the redheads crimson bangs. "I never wanted that, Ranma. I'd break it in a moment if you'd come back to me. I want to know you as you really are, and I want you know who I really am."

At that moment Ranko stirred and stretched as Nodaka hastily withdrew her hand.

"Huh..." She blinked as she took her surroundings. "Oh, gomen Auntie Nodaka. I didn't mean to-"

"Shush, dear." Nodaka said pressing a finger to the younger girl's lips. "You wouldn't have done it if you didn't need it. "Would you like some tea?"

"Arigato auntie but no." She stood and let her bones pop back into place after the brief contortion. "It's getting late and I should go. Just let me get changed."

"I bought the kimono for you, so you may as well wear it home. I'll just get your clothes."

"Umm... Arigato Auntie." Ranko said sheepishly as Nodaka disappeared, only to return moments later not only with Ranko's clothes tied in a bundle but a long slender package in a plain brown wrapper which she pressed into the redheads hands. "Is this..."

"For you. A bokken modeled after my own katana."

"Auntie Nodaka, I can't." Ranko said.

Nodaka gave a half smile and slowly deliberately drew her sword. "Now Ranko, refusing my gift would make angry." She turned the sword deliberately to catch the light. "You wouldn't want me angry, would you?" Despite the inquisitive ending, it was clearly a statement.

"Of course not, Auntie Nodaka." Ranko swallowed. In hand to hand, she may have at least stood a chance of defending herself, but the girl was well aware of her mother's skill with the implement. It was something she herself envied. "I accept your gracious gift. Now I must go." She tucked one parcel under each arm, bowed as best she could and paced calmly down the walk and out of sight before a sonic boom signaled her massive increase in speed.

And you can't fight the tears that ain't coming
Or the moment of truth in your lies

Ranko sat on the floor of the dojo, the bokken open on the floor in front of her.

"Are you all right 'Ko chan?" Kasumi asked from the door of the dojo.

"I'm not sure, K'sumi. My mother gave me this as a gift right before she made a thinly veiled threat against making her unhappy. I'm so confused."

The elder Tendou knelt and hugged Ranko tightly. "I guess this is where I tell you that everything is gonna be all right."

"Do you think it will be?"

"I can't say, Ranko. What do you think?"

"I... I don't know. I hurt in my soul, but I'm all cried out. I told okasan that I missed my mother."

"Isn't that true?"

"That's just it! It was one moment of truth tangled up in a lifetime of lies. I don't know any more 'Sumi chan. I'm not sure I ever did."

When everything seems like the movies
Yeah you bleed just to know your alive

Nodaka sat with her sword in front her, blade bare and waiting. But for what? She thought. I have never drawn this sword without a purpose.

Until today. She thought running her hand lightly over the blade drawing blood.

"Enough." She said rising to her feet and taking up her sword. "I am Saotome Nodaka and I fear nothing. Anything that wishes to keep me from my child, come forth now and challenge me."

And before her appeared the ghostly form of Ranko, seated with the bokken in front of her.

***

After a time Kasumi left the young redhead deep in thought. As she meditated upon the weapon, her thoughts turned to her mother.

"Enough." She said never taking her eyes from the bokken. "Regardless of my form I have always been man enough to face my problems and now is no different. I sense your presence. If you wish to stop me, then come forward."

And Nodaka appeared. "Face me."

"As you wish." Ranko rose and took the bokken into her hands. "Despite my unfamiliarity with the weapon I shall fight as best I can."

"I expect nothing less." Nodaka said raising her katana as the spectral duel began.

***

"Akane, will you tell Ranko that supper's almost ready."

"Hai, neechan." She left for the dojo, only to return moments later pale and shaken. "You might wanna see this."

The three sisters made their way to the partially cracked door of the dojo and peered in to see Ranko apparently sparring with herself.

"Is that a kata?" Nabiki asked, even though she knew the answer.

"No." Kasumi murmured as Ranko spun the bokken out from her hand as she flipped back to avoid an unseen strike before pushing forward from a handspring into a slide tackle that tumbled into a recovery roll as she caught the bokken and brought it down behind her to protect her back. "It's too chaotic, even for her. And a sense a presence, challenging but not threatening."

Akane gasped nearly silently. "It's Nodaka!"

"What?" The others barely remembered to keep their voices in check, as Ranko took the offensive.

"Somehow Nodaka projected herself here. And feel how high Ranko's ki is? She must be projecting herself in a similar manner."

"But why?" Kasumi asked.

"They're Saotome's." Nabiki said. "They'll fight for anything. This time the adversary is their own fear and the prize..."

"Too valuable to measure." Akane mused leading her sisters away.

Ranko blocked and parried as well as she could. She now knew why her mother insisted on wearing her kimono. The billowy material made it all but impossible to read her movements. She smiled at this knowledge as both women made a thrust for their opponent's wrist disarming her.

"You have done well. I am proud."

"Arigato." Ranko said sincerely. "I am pleased I found favor in your eyes."

Then she fainted.

***

"It's gotten all quiet." Kasumi said.

Nabiki was about to answer when a knock sounded at the door

"I'll get the door, 'Kane you get Ranko, 'Sumi you get dinner."

"Hai." The other girls chorused quietly.

Nabiki was quite surprised to find Nodaka standing there when she opened the door. "Greetings Aunt Nodaka. Will you be joining us for dinner?"

"Perhaps. Where is my child?" She asked pleasantly.

Nabiki thought quickly. If the others were right and that was Nodaka attacking Ranko...

"Nabiki. Where is my child?" Nodaka asked as her hand drifted towards the sword at her side.

I hope I'm doing the right thing. Nabiki thought. "The dojo."

"Thank you." Nodaka said with tears glistening in her eyes as she swept past the middle Tendou. Nabiki and Kasumi glanced at each other and sent silent prayers to any listening deities.

As Nodaka entered Akane stood and took a defensive stance. "I take it you know."

"It wasn't hard." Nodaka said tossing her still sheathed katana to the surprised girl. "Their fighting styles are so similar, for one. And their ki feels almost identical, and I never once saw one with the other. But those were just suspicions." She looked past Akane to the sleeping girl. "They say, Akane, that the bond between a mother and child can never be broken. Do you believe that?"

Akane turned the sword over in her hand. "Do you know mother had a sword?" Nodaka arched an eyebrow in surprise. "I have it, hidden someplace safe." Her eyes dropped reflexively to the floor under Nodaka's feet. "Guess I gave it away, didn't I?"

"I won't tell if you don't." Nodaka smiled.

"The thing is, that small thing is a piece of mother that is mine and mine alone. Even Nabiki doesn't know about it. This connects me to my mothers soul, I guess. Sometimes, when no one else is around I'll take it out and meditate and it's like she's right there, listening to me. She's gotten an earful about this lunkhead on more than one occasion. But I guess what I'm getting at is, even though she's not here she's still here, so I understand what you mean."

"In a sense you do because you are the child. When I held Ranko in my arms today, I knew this was my child."

"How?" Akane whispered.

"When you hold your own son or daughter in your arms, you will know."

Akane finally screwed up her courage. "I will not let you kill him."

"And I will not. No amount of honor is worth destroying your only child, but you too will learn that, when you are a mother."

"You give me your word of honor then," Akane said calmly. "that Ranko will be unharmed?"

"They both will be." Nodaka promised. "On my honor."

Satisfied, Akane bowed to Nodaka and placed her katana on the floor and slipped silently outside.

"Ranma, " Nodaka whispered in a sing song voice. "Wake up my son."

Ranko sighed and slowly sat up. "So you know." She said sadly.

"Why, Ranma? Why didn't you tell me?" Nodaka cried grabbing Ranko in a warm embrace.

"How can I be a man in your eyes when I'm a girl half the time, 'kaasan?" She reached out and wrapped herself around her mother.

"Ranma,"

"Please 'kaasan. Call me Ranko. In this form, that's who I am."

"As you wish, my 'Ko- chan. In my eyes, being a man isn't about the gender you are. I love you for your soul, not the face you wear."

"And the seppuku pact?"

"I destroyed it today. No amount of honor is worth losing a child. And Ranko?"

"Hmm?"

"In my eyes, being a man means taking responsibility for your actions and solving your problems with this," She tapped his forehead. "before these." She held up his fists. "And in that respect, you're a thousand times the man your father is."

"Half of it anyway." Ranko said getting to her feet. "I still tend to swing before I think, but I'm working on it. Kaasan, I'd um..."

"What is it?"

"I, Saotome Ranko, would like to invite you to dine with me this evening."

"Ranko, I'd be delighted."

And I don't want the world to see me
Cause I don't think that they'd understand
When everything's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am

Dinner was a strangely quiet affair, as the Tendou girls continued to mourn their lost mother as Ranko silently celebrated her mothers return.

For her part Nodaka was strangely silent as she considered the yin and yang of the energy surrounding her. Coming to a decision, she moved a distance from the low table and knelt again. "Girls," The four Tendous turned to look at Nodaka. "I knew your mother for a long time and though I could never hope to replace her, for right now, if you need me," She opened her arms wide. "I can be your mother."

Nabiki and Kasumi stood dumbfounded before hurling themselves sobbing into Nodaka's arms.

Akane, however moved to join Ranko. "Why are you crying?" She asked wiping away the redhead's tears.

"Because I'm happy." Ranko whispered curling her arms around her fiancé's waist. "Now, at last, she knows who I am."