Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ You're in Love ❯ Heartbreak and heart-mending ( Prologue )

[ A - All Readers ]

You're in Love

<Open the door and come in

I'm so glad to see you my friend

I don't know how long it has been

Having these feelings again.>

Ukyo looked up as the door swung open.

"Ranma hon-Ranma." It's you . . . what has it been, a few days since you got back? The pigtailed martial artist grinned at her, holding the door open behind him. I'll never get over you at this rate.

"Hey Ukyo!" Akane called out as she stepped through the door, her hand catching Ranma's, the gold ring sparkling slightly from the sunlight that streamed through the window.

<But now I see that you're so happy>

Ranma pulled his wife forward, a small laugh came out as she bumped into him. "Easy there, Tomboy. Wouldn't want ya ta hurt yourself."

<And ooh, it just sets me free

And I'd Like to see us as good as friends as we used to be. . >

"So what'll it be?"

"Two specials!"

"Coming right up!" Ukyo quickly flipped the patties onto the grill, then proceeded to look up at her guests. Keep cool, girl. They trust you now, let's keep it that way. He's your friend. . they're your friends. . but. .

<Ah. . . my love. . ah. . .>

Why couldn't it have been me? Why? Ukyo flipped aside a lock of long dark hair. "So you guys, how was the trip?"

"Great." The two simultaneously spoke and then turned to each other, knowing smiles on their faces, pure emotion in their eyes,

That's why. "That's good. Glad ya had a good time."

<You're in Love

That's the way it should be

'cause I want you to be happy>

one month ago. .

"Ukyo, I have something to tell you. . " His arm reached forward, gently grasping her upper arm.

This is it! He's going to tell me that he-

"It's about-"

<And I know that you're not in love with me>

"-Akane."

<Ooh, It's enough for me to know that you're in love

I can let you go

'cause I know that you're in love. . .">

"Please tell me you're okay with this Ukyo. . " The smile she wore was strained.

"Of course I'm all right, Ranma hon-Ranma. I mean, you. . l-love her right?" The answer was pure agony. "Then. . I'm okay with it. . it's all right Ranma. . I'll let you go. . And now. . if you don't mind going? I have. . things. . to do. . " She turned slowly around, missing the resigned nod from her friend, the tears slowly dripping down her face.

<Sometimes it's hard to believe

that you're never coming back to me.

I've had this dream that you'd always be by my side,

Oh I could have died. >

Two weeks ago. . .

That was supposed to be me up there, in that dress. This was supposed to be my wedding. . . She sat looking to the ceiling, her eyes memorizing the small cracks in the wood boards, anything to keep her attention away from the scene going on in front of her.

<But now I see that you're so happy

and ohh, it just sets me free

and I'd like to see us as good of friends

as we used to be ah. . . my love. . ah. . >

The gasp of surprised awe brought her gaze to the two in the center of the dojo. The one in white clasped tightly to her love, a look of pure tenderness in his eyes, betraying the embarrassed flush running across his face.

<I tried to find you but you were so far away

I was praying that fate would bring you back to me

Someday, someday, someday. . >

It had been three days already, and there had been no hurried knock on the door, no frantic boy pleading for edible food and protection from an evil tomboy of a fiancee. She had followed the others, who searched in vain. They were nowhere to be found. But what if they were? Could she interfere on either side? She loved him, maybe would always loved him . . . but he was happy. If he was happy. . and not with her. . then who's to say it wasn't meant to be?

<Ooh, you're in love>

The two had finished their meal, both getting up to leave, going out the door, but at the last minute, Akane came back.

"Ukyo? Are you all right? I mean, I know this all was very sudden and I just wanted to know if you're okay with everything. . "

"I just have one question for you Akane. . " Ukyo looked towards the window, to where he was impatiently tapping his foot.

<Ooh, it's enough for me to know that you're in love>

"Yes, I love him more than anything, Ukyo. I-I don't know what I'd do without him." The look in her eyes was enough to close the door the rest of the way.

<Now I'll let you go

'cause I know that you're in love. . >

"Bye, Ukyo. See you soon!"

Ukyo walked to the door, waving the two off on their journey home. I'll always love you Ranma. . and if she didn't love you as much as you love her I'd still be after ya. . . but. . now I know that you both are in love. . and I'll. . I'll let you go. .