Read Or Die Fan Fiction / Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ So Near, Yet So Far ❯ San Shimai, Fight! ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: No, they aren't mine. :::sighs:::

(Glossary at the bottom)

`

So Near, Yet So Far...

`

"Maggie-chan?" a blonde woman stopped and turned to look at the tall, black haired woman who had paused at the entrance of an alley with a frown on her face.

"Nee-san, I thought I heard something down there," the woman replied in a low voice. Her three companions joined her at the entrance to the alley and squinted into the blackness.

"Ma-nee, I don't see anyth-" the youngest girl began, but she suddenly paused and turned her head slightly. "I heard something, too. It sounds like a boy talking, but it's really quiet."

Maggie nodded seriously. "Something feels...strange...about this place," she said quietly.

Sumiregawa Nenene groaned as she saw the interest on the other women's faces. "This is how you three get into so much trouble. You go looking for it! If someplace feels strange, don't go to it! And stop worrying about other peoples' business. It's probably a gang or something."

"But sensei, someone might need our help!" Michelle responded, and called out in a cheerful, sing-song voice, "San shimai kaigi!" As soon as her two sisters turned their attention away from the alley, she continued. "All in favor of exploring the alley?" She raised her hand into the air. Maggie also lifted her arm. Anita looked at Nenene, then back down the dark alley before turning her attention to her sisters and their raised hands. She raised her hand as well.

"Okay," Michelle said. "It's unanimous; we go investigate."

"Hey! That wasn't unanimous! I don't think you should go!" Nenene shouted.

"Sumimasen, sensei. But we can't just ignore someone who might be in trouble," Michelle stated calmly. Nenene huffed and went to lean up against one of the buildings bordering the alley.

The three sisters turned to face the entrance to the alley, paper sliding out of their sleeves to form their protective clothing. "Where the hell do they keep all that paper, anyway?" Nenene muttered. "Mou, I probably don't want to know." Raising her voice, she called out, "Well, I hope you don't think I'm going to come along to keep you out of trouble."

All three looked back at her, but it was Michelle, once again overly cheerful, who answered. "Don't worry about us, sensei. We'll have fun-ow!" She cut off with a yelp as Anita kicked her in the shin.

"We're supposed to be finding out where that voice is coming from, not having fun, baka," Anita growled. Michelle laughed nervously in response.

"Of course, of course. Don't worry about us, sensei!"

"I wasn't," Nenene responded flatly to Michelle's cheery tone. She looked over at Anita to see the girl glaring at her. She glared back. "You got a problem, chibikko?"

Anita scowled at the nickname, but stuck out her tongue at the author. "You're just scared."

"WHAT?" Nenene lunged into the alley at the girl, and was in the process of wrestling her into a headlock when they all heard the faint voice from the shadows suddenly give a yelp of pain. She immediately let go of Anita, who pulled out a sheet of paper and sprang back to stand closer to her sisters.

All four women tried again in vain see what was hidden in the dark alley. Maggie shook her head and murmured, "I still can't see anything."

The sisters looked at each other decisively, and nodded as one. Michelle spoke quietly. "Let's go." They turned to look expectantly at their companion.

Nenene sighed. "Fine, I'm coming, too." She ignored Anita's smirk. "Someone has to get you out of this mess."

The three sisters readied their paper, and Nenene lightly pushed her glasses further up on her nose. Together, they walked forward until they were completely swallowed by the shadows.

`

You should know these if you watch ROD, but you're new, here are the basic terms I may be using throughout the story:

Nee-san: sister; what Maggie calls Michelle

Ma-nee: Anita's abbreviation for Maggie-nee, "Sister Maggie," pretty much. You get what it means...

Mi-nee: Anita's abbreviation for Michelle-nee, "Sister Michelle"

Nene-nee: Anita's abbreviation for Nenene-nee, "Sister Nenene" (because Nenene-nee-sama is too complicated ^_~ )

Sensei: Nenene is an author, so here, that's what `sensei' is referring to

San shimai kaigi: I'm almost positive that this is what Michelle's saying in the original Japanese, but since I don't know the language, I can't be totally sure. Anyway, it means "Three sisters meeting"

Sumimasen: I'm sorry; it just seemed to fit better than the English here

chibikko: shorty; Nenene's nickname for Anita

`

Next chapter: A look at things from the other side of the alley...

I should have it up sometime next week.