Read Or Die Fan Fiction ❯ Read or Die: Aftermath ❯ Together ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Part Three: Together

They made their way through Tokyo's streets, Yomiko pointing out the sights. Typically, most of the sights she mentioned were book related, but Nancy kind of expected that from her. The sun was shining, a warm breeze stirred both of their hair, and Nancy was with the one she loved. `Now, if only she loves me too,' Nancy thought.

Yomiko opened the door to her building, and Nancy followed her in eager to see where Yomiko lived. Nancy's eyes widened when she saw the books stacked in the hallway, and they almost popped out of her head when she saw the mountains of books in the main room. They were all over the floor, laying on the bed, and draped over every available surface. "Bibliophile," Nancy said, looking around the room in awe, "definite bibliophile."

"What was that?" Yomiko asked cheerfully as she moved a stack of books aside and uncovered a chair for Nancy.

Nancy laughed softly, "I was just saying you were a real book lover." She grinned suddenly as she remembered another thing from the battle over New York. The girl had leapt from an airplane to rescue a book, risking life and limb because she hadn't read it yet! Yomiko was just lucky her coat got caught on the Statue of Liberty's crown, or she might have died. She remembered climbing up, and helping the girl get to safety, wryly asking her if she was an idiot.

Nancy sat down, but noticed it was a bit uncomfortable. She fished under the seat cushion and pulled out a slim paperback that she handed to Yomiko, who blushed and put it aside.

"What happened to you? How did you regain your memory, Nancy-san?" Yomiko asked her softly.

Nancy smiled slightly, and leaned back in the chair in her trademark, lounging pose. The chair promptly flipped over on it's back! "Nancy-san!" Yomiko cried out worriedly, leaping up and helping Nancy up off the floor. Surprisingly, the young woman was laughing uncontrollably.

"I'm all right! I am, really," Nancy reassured Yomiko with a cheery smile. They set the chair back up, Nancy brushed herself off and sat down somewhat more carefully. She looked intently at Yomiko, "Did you know, at the hospital, that it was really me?"

"I wondered," Yomiko said softly. "There was something in your eyes, that I saw in yours when we first met. Kindness, and a little sorrow, all mixed up."

Nancy nodded thoughtfully, "I began to remember things shortly after your visit." She laughed softly, "I thought some of it was purely fantasy, honestly."

Yomiko smiled over at her questioningly. "Like what?"

Nancy laughed softly, "The paper airplane, for one." She grinned, remembering them all standing on the building. They had no way to chase the enemy, until Yomiko popped her case of papers open. The sheets of paper swirled around them, dancing under Yomiko's touch, until a giant paper airplane formed, hanging in midair. Nancy and Drake had looked on disbelievingly, while Yomiko hopped on.

Yomiko blushed, "It wasn't that bad."

"After that, the memories gradually returned, and eventually I recalled enough to contact Joker," Nancy explained. She smiled at the suddenly alarmed expression on Yomiko's face, and hurried to reassure her, "It's all right, Joker let me go. He said..."

The phone rang. Nancy looked about wildly at the stacks of books, while Yomiko unerringly walked to one stack, shifted a few aside, and answered the phone. "Hai, Yomiko Readman's... oh, Joker-san!... uh huh, uh huh, right... Hai!... thank you, Joker-san!" She smiled happily, putting the phone down.

"I guess he told you, huh?" Nancy said with a smile.

"You're free to go," Yomiko agreed.

"And free to do what I want to," Nancy said softly. "I still don't remember everything that happened, Yomiko. Who created me, and the other great ones is still a mystery to me. But I found my strongest memories have been of one person." She got up from the chair and slowly stalked over to a suddenly blushing Yomiko.

"Nancy-san?" Yomiko said softly, as the woman looked down at her. Nancy pulled her glasses off, and unpinned her hair, letting it swing free.

Nancy knelt down by Yomiko, and smiled at her gently. "I've wanted to do this for a while," Nancy said, and softly kissed Yomiko. Yomiko sat stock still for a second, then leaned in and began to kiss Nancy back.

"Nancy-san," Yomiko said breathlessly, "I think I lo..."

Nancy stopped her, a gentle finger to her lips. "Don't say that yet, Yomiko," Nancy said softly. "You don't know me that well yet, really. But I'd like to give you the chance to get to know me," Nancy said with a smile.

"I feel like I've known you forever, Nancy-san," Yomiko said softly, smiling shyly as she looked up into her dark eyes.

"Being in deadly danger can do that," Nancy said gently. "But you don't know what I eat, or do for fun, or..." she shrugged. "I want to give you a chance to see me, warts and all," she finished.

"What do you want to do?" Yomiko said hesitantly.

"Would you like to go out on a date with me?" Nancy asked her tentatively.

Yomiko looked at her blankly, then grinned happily, "I'd love to, Nancy-san!"