Realism Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Hidden Days ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter One
 
 
I leaned back in my seat, stretching my legs out in front of me. The old red clock on the wall over the blackboard ticked annoyingly. Another thing I found annoying was our blackboard. Or any for that matter. They always say blackboard but they always end up green or brown. The world does nothing but lie to itself. I still had another twenty minutes in my hell hole of a class called English, so I figured I'd zone out. Teaches must know when you want to zone.
 
 
“Mr. Gardner, is there a problem?” I looked up at our teacher Mrs. Park. She was an older woman, probably in her later 50s. She wasn't very strict, but she hated the fact of anyone going less than three seconds without learning something. Her hair was always pulled back in a loose bun, wore the same clothes that looked as if they could've been made out of some grandfather's sofa, and huge pink glasses. My guess was that she had at least three cats. Women like that always do.
 
 
“There's no problem Mrs. Park,” I sighed looking back up at the clock. Seventeen minutes. “Then would you like to please explain…why you haven't been answering my questions with the rest of the class?” She asked me this calmly, but I could tell her voice was slightly dropping. She always did that when she was getting a little upset. I smiled. “I didn't really care” She looked shocked for a fraction of a second and then her face went back to its original bored look. “Office.”
 
 
I shrugged and gathered my books. On the way out the door I looked at her, “so when the wife can't handle the problem child she sends him to the husband then? Come now Mrs. Park, I thought woman were better than that.” She only stared at me as I turned and left.
 
 
Walking down the hallways was a bore. The school was an average size, hallways narrow, but nothing special. Burnt orange lockers lined the walls. The one thing I liked was that they were the long lockers that went to the floor. I would hate to have to bend down below other people everyday to get things from my locker. I had to scrunch my nose as I continued walking. The hall was long and it smelled like cleaners. Lavender cleaners.
 
 
I got to the office fairly quickly since the language halls were on the bottom floor. When I walked in the secretary looked up from her magazine at me. “Hey cutie,” she said popping her gum and smiling, blonde hair falling in front of her eyes, “get in trouble with Mrs. Park again today?” My eyes moved down her tight shirt to the skirt that was halfway up her thighs. It amazes me, the people that can get hired at schools these days. But I smiled, “Yeah, I just can't catch a break with her.” I heard her giggle as I walked through the principal's door.
 
 
Our principal, Mr. Park, looked up and then sighed. “Again,” he asked sounding kind of annoyed. I sat down, “I can't help it if your wife doesn't like the things I say to her.” Mr. Park put his head in his hands, though I'm sure if he hadn't been bald, he'd be running his hands through his hair. It must suck to age.
 
 
“August,” I flinched at the use of my first name, “what's going on with you?” You used to be such a god student. Good grades, teacher's pet, happy…and now look at you. Your hair is black, your clothes are black, you never pay attention in class, I never see you with your friends anymore, it just isn't like you.”
 
 
I sat still. Who was he to ask me why I am the way I am? It was none of his concern. But I knew better than to say that, I hadn't completely changed. “Things change I suppose.” I said dryly. “Anyway,” I said standing brushing the front of my pants, “it's time for me to get home if I plan on dinner being ready in time. See you Monday then.” I walked out.
 
 
When I got outside it was the first time I'd noticed it was cloudy today. I could smell the rain coming. It never rained here. Not in Yuma. Not in this suffocatingly big city in Arizona. I just assumed rain didn't even know we were here to get rained on.
 
 
“Gardner!”
 
 
I turned in time to get smacked full frontal by a slightly smaller body. I looked down. “Hi Jess.” Jess was a friend of mine. My only friend actually. She was close to my height, short brown hair, bubbly, always happy, never got in trouble. Pretty much my opposite.
 
 
“So what happened in Park's today? You're always giving the poor old woman a hard time.” She stared up at me with small dark eyes.
 
 
“She was bugging me.” I stated as we began walking home. “You can't do whatever you want just because she bugs you, you know. We are juniors after all. What if you really screw up and something happens?” She fussed over me the entire way to my house.
 
 
“Well I guess I'll be seeing you Monday then,” she said looking up at the house. She never liked coming inside. The first time I offered she told me it was too big and probably haunted. Girls.
 
 
“Yeah,” I mumbled digging my key out of my dark green messenger bag, “Monday.”
 
 
She bounced off smiling when I finally got the door open.
 
 
I walked up the carpeted stairs to my room and slid off my shoes. The walls were covered with posters, old pictures, and other random things. I tossed my bag onto my king sized bed and walked over to the t.v. Sometimes I wonder why I really need all these things. As if on que my five hundred dollar stereo turned on when my jacket landed on top of it. I smiled slightly. Claire de lune.
 
 
My parents, both lawyers, wouldn't be home `til late tonight, so I decided to make a roast. I trudged down the stairs, sliding my hand down the rail. When I got into the living room I decided to put our huge sound system to use. I turned on my classical music as loud as possible without disturbing the neighbors, and then set off to the kitchen to start cooking. I hummed along.
 
 
For the next few hours I cooked and cleaned and by the time the food was ready it was seven. After I had eaten, my parents still weren't home so I put away the food and went back to my room. Watching t.v. has got to be the most boring thing I've ever done.
 
 
I sighed crawling off my bed.
 
 
I grabbed some clothes and towels and walked into my bathroom. Once again another reminder of how many unnecessary things I have. I turned on the hot water and turned toward the mirror. I was tall. Black hair. Green eyes. Skinny but had some muscle. And dark circles. I had never noticed that before. How long had I been going with dark circles under my eyes? And they only seemed to stand out against my pale skin.
 
 
When steam started rising I slipped out of my clothes and stepped in the tub. I sat down and leaned back, staring at the ceiling. I could still hear the music drifting from the living room. Fur Elise. It was calming. I closed my eyes and continued to let the water rise. The heat making my skin tingle. I was starting to doze off when the front door opened. My parent's were yelling. Again.
 
 
“Dammit Emma why do we have to go through this every night?!” I could hear my father getting out the brandy. I closed my eyes again.
 
 
“It's your fault!” my mother screamed halfway up the stairs. She walked in. My eyes snapped open and I jerked forward grabbing a towel. “What the hell mom?!” I watched her with angry eyes as she sat down on the cushioned chair. Her head in her hands, dark curls billowing over her shoulders, her work clothes hanging on her lean figure crookedly. And then she looked up and stared at me with her dark green eyes.
 
 
“We're moving.” She stated simply standing up and walking towards the door. I only stared after her. She swung around after opening the door and looked back at me “Tomorrow.”
 
 
I sat there for a few minutes letting it sink in and trying to figure out what just happened. I sighed again and stood up drying myself and slipping into my pajamas. The front door was still open so walking around without a shirt wasn't the most comfortable thing at the moment. After shutting the door I turned to the kitchen. My mother was leaning against the counter and my father was still drinking.
 
 
“So,” I said breaking the silence, “mind telling me what's going on?”
 
 
My mom looked up first. “Your father,” she said in a sharp voice, “has decided to move us.” I looked over at him. He was glaring at her. “What other choice do we have?” He turned towards me. “We got another call from your school today.” I rolled my eyes. “Oh here we go,” I scoffed, folding my arms and leaning against the counter across from my mom. We exchanged an understanding look. My dad was getting drunk. His temper was about to flare.
 
 
“I don't need any son of mine causing trouble in class!” He slammed his glass down and walked up to me. I only stared at him, a blank expression on my face. “And I don't need any father of mine getting drunk and yelling in my face,” I stated calmly. I couldn't afford to yell at him or else my mother would try to step in. And the last thing I needed was for him to turn on her.
 
 
“Don't get smart with me. I am in no mood for your childish antics. We are moving. If I keep you here and you keep causing trouble it will come down on me. People will say I'm not raising you right and all sorts of things about this family will start to get around. I could lose clients because of you! I am going to get you in a new school, a new environment, and you are going to start off fresh. And that's how it will be.” He backed away and looked between my mother's expression and mine to see if he had realized he was having the last word about it. I shrugged and walked out the room.
 
 
The next day was uneventful. For me at least. The movers were rushing to get everything packed by the time my father had ordered it done. It was only ten thirty in the morning and already more than half the house was done. I was never told where we'd be moving to. Only that I would know when we got there. When the house was finally done my father came home. “Hey dad, can I go let Jess know what's going on?” I figured that telling her now was better than her finding out on Monday. He glanced at me as he paid one of the men. “There's no point. I'm sure he won't really care anyway.” I glared at him, “Jess is a girl dad. And of course she'll care.” “I said no. Now go get in the car, your mother is waiting. I'll be there in a second.”
 
 
I threw my hands in the air and yanked the car door open, only to slam it behind me. “Why don't you call her when we get there sweetheart?” My mom was looking at me in the rearview mirror. “Why do you put up with him?” I asked ignoring her idea. She sighed and looked out the window, “Sometimes I wonder….”
 
 
The ride there wasn't very long. I listened to my music most of the way. I tried rolling my window down a few times, but they were constantly being rolled up by my dad. I sighed. After about fifteen minutes I realized we were on our way to the airport. This worried me a bit. I pulled off my headphones and leaned forward, “Are we…flying there.”
 
 
My father nodded once.
 
 
We got to Portland International Airport around noon. I slouched out of the car with my head down. I felt like a pouting kid. But I had every right to be. I was being taken away from my home, my friend, everything I knew. And just because of some stupid back talking every once in a while. It wasn't fair, but I knew I had to deal. If this was going to happen for acting up a little at school I knew my father wouldn't hesitate to take more drastic measures for screwing up at home.
 
 
We still had another two hours to wait before out flight. So I decided to kill some time. “Wanna go for a walk mom?” I bent over smiling at her. She smiled back and stood. “I'm going to look around with Gardner for a bit alright John.” My father looked up from his magazine frowning. “He's our son Emma, you could at least call him by the name we gave him.” I held back a sigh, “I prefer Gardner, dad.” He only looked at me before he dropped his head to the magazine again. I think there were women in it.
 
 
My mom and I walked around for at least half an hour. The thing I love about her is you never have to be talking just because you're sharing time with her. As long as someone's with her, she's content. I smiled, and she noticed. “What is it,” she asked confused. “Just thinking.” I continued to watch the people rush by us as we made our way back to out terminal. She only looked away.
 
 
When the plane arrived we all boarded without a word. Luckily it wasn't very crowded so I was able to sit by myself. I made sure not to look out the window. I was afraid of heights. Something no one knew. My mother pointed out how pretty the sky looked at one point. I glanced out the window and broke out into a sweat. I pulled out my ipod and put on Cannon and closed my eyes the rest of the way there.
 
 
We finally landed in Oregon City, Oregon. I was glad to finally be off the plane. When we got outside it was cloudy and humid. I didn't like it. “There's already a car for us.” I looked around to see my father pointing to a new shiny, black mustang. My eyes felt like they were going to fall out. “You bought a new car?!” He nodded curtly. “We have no use for our old one. Now lets go.”