Role Playing Fan Fiction ❯ Maple Story: My Story~ Aka Version ❯ Chapter 3: Amnesia ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

John's life had dramatically changed since the game had shut down. He felt like he didn't belong anywhere, and that no one wanted him around. His parents moved him and the family out of the old house, hoping to forget that he was trapped in the game with his brother, and almost died. He couldn't see his real friends; the fake people he went to when he felt trapped didn't help him at all. John felt pathetic that he couldn't help himself, he felt stupid that he needed to depend on a game, and the people that played it… But the people he depended on were real people… That counted, but the fake friends he had wouldn't understand the things you could do, or feel, on a virtual reality game No one understood him anymore…
 
He wondered if Chii felt the same way...
 
**********
 
“Why did my heart almost pound out of my chest when I saw her again?” John was banging his head on the wall. He just logged out, very quickly in fact; without saying goodbye to anyone. He wasn't thinking; it had been a long time since he talked to his real friends. It was so confusing, how did the game turn on again? Was it worth it?!
 
John kicked the side of his desk next to him, and collapsed on the floor. He was tired these days, more tired than usual.
 
“Maybe I'm getting sick or something.” He murmured to himself. He closed his eyes and pondered in his thoughts.
 
“Did I change to…? Like she did?” John placed his hand on his cheek and closed his eyes. He remembered how she looked when she opened the door for him. “Her hair got longer, and her eyes got a little bit more sparkle than it used to. Her body turned more…” John banged his head against his floor. “Stop it, just stop it John!”
 
“I wonder if he still loves me….
 
John shot up; the voice again, ever since he logged off two years ago, he had been hearing this voice, it would come to him at random times, he never knew where it came from, or who it was, this time, he knew who it came from, he recognized that voice, it was Chii's.
 
“Chii…!? Are you there?!” He called out to his room, no answer. He started looking around his room. “Maybe I couldn't recognize her voice because she got older…” He searched his room one last time, and plopped down onto his bed.
 
“'I wonder if he still loves me….' I wonder who she meant… Not me, I know, it's been to long for both of us… But…” John looked up.
 
“I've still had feelings for her after all of these years… She must have moved on or something.” He got up from his bed, and looked over to his helmet sitting on the side of his desk; it appeared to be staring at John, because the front was facing him. John sighed and looked away.
 
`Tonight I'll log on, only one more time.” John walked out of his room, feeling empty, as usual…
 
*********************
 
 
The following day was far from normal for John; he had a lot of thoughts buzzing through his mind. He couldn't focus on the work his teachers gave him at school; he couldn't see straight, his body seemed far away, like his mind was just floating above it, looking down on everything. When he had to walk home, he got lost more than twice, and he walked in the middle of a street when dozens of cars were driving by. When he finally got home he was greeted by a raging mother, his mother yelled at him to go up to his room, (it was dark outside, and John was hours late coming home.) he didn't care, he wanted her to send him up to his room, and he needed to log on that stupid game, without his mother knowing. John threw his backpack across his room, landing in a corner he neither knew or cared about, he was also lucky it was a Friday, as he didn't have any homework that needed to be done. He walked over to his desk, grabbed his helmet, and strapped it onto his head, he sat down on the floor, and said,
 
“Go.”
 
He felt his mind get dumped into the game, he was swirling around for a minute, John landed on a hard floor. He was in Lady Magrashi's Home; he knew he was, because of the smell… The old pinecones smell that he used to live with forever ago…But, he couldn't see anything. It was pitch dark. John felt around, he was contained in a small area, with soft things surrounding him. He started pounding on the sides. The soft things started falling on him, clinging to his head and arms.
 
“What the heck?! Get me out of here!”
 
John felt himself falling, the soft things broke his fall, he threw them off of himself, and looked up, he saw Chii standing there laughing, holding the door to a closet. John looked in the direction he fell out of; he saw hangers and a mop in a storage closet.
 
“You guys, John logged into the closet, and knocked the door down!!” Chii was laughing harder as the mop fell on top of John's head. He noticed the soft things were fur coats. John looked up at Chii. “When she laughs… its like… bubbles popping…” He shook the thought out of his head.
 
John got up, and looked in the closet he totally destroyed. He looked back, and saw Chio standing there with Lady Magrashi. He saw the old woman start laughing, and Chio sighed.
 
“You really are an idiot John.”
 
John didn't say anything, he looked at Chio, but not like a stare, it was as if he was looking past him, he had a dazed look in his eyes, like he just woke up from a deep sleep that he didn't want to be awaken from…
 
“I knew it. You're drunk.” Chio laughed and walked into the kitchen. Chii gasped and out her hand on John's forehead. John stepped back a little, and stared at her.
 
“Are you ok?” Chii was staring straight into his eyes. John blinked and looked away.
 
“Yeah, I'm fine.” John had the intention of walking passed her; instead he walked right into her. “Oh, I'm sorry…” He grabbed her shoulders, and walked passed her, He went to follow Chio, but he turned too soon and ran into the wall. He turned again and staggered in the kitchen. Chii stood there, not knowing what she just saw.
 
“Maybe he is drunk…” She went to follow him, just to make sure.
 
When Chii walked into the kitchen, she saw john leaning on a wall, and Chio and the old woman sitting at the table.
Chii turned to John, and walked right in front of him.
 
“John… Are you sure you're ok…?”
 
John stared at her blankly, and shot up. “Oh, I need to talk to you…” He grabbed her hand, and sprinted outside, she almost ran into the wall in the process. Chio and Lady Magrashi looked at each other. Chio shrugged, the old woman nodded.
 
John leaned on the side of the tree outside Lady Magrashi's home. He was panting. Chii kneeled down and looked up at him.
 
“John…?” she whispered; he looked at her, she looked worried. He felt a shiver go down his spine. He stood up and turned from Chii.
 
“Where's Thuy? I didn't see her in there…”
 
“She just logged off before you logged in.”
 
John felt Chii touch his shoulder. He turned to her, she saw her looking down, still with that worried look.
 
“I need to tell you something…” She whispered
 
John backed up again. He looked down at the snow, and smiled painfully. “No… I already know… It's been to long anyway…”
 
Chii looked up at him, shocked. “Wait, what? You… Know…? But I haven't told anyone…”
 
“I heard you!” John interrupted Chii; he kept stepping away from her. “Ever since I logged off, I kept hearing your voice! I don't know why, it was just there, it drove me insane!!” He was yelling now. John looked up at Chii. She was just standing there, looking hurt. John put his hand on his forehead, and sighed. “I heard you; you said `I wonder if he still loves me…' I was to late… it's been to long… Its ok, I don't care…I DON'T CARE! I… Don't..” John closed his eyes and fell on his knees, He collapsed in the snow.
 
“John…!? John!”
 
Chii ran and knelt beside him, she placed John's head on her lap, and touched his forehead; it was burning up. Chii studied at the expression on his face, John looked hurt, physically and emotionally. Chii knew she couldn't carry John in the house. She didn't know what to do, she couldn't let him lying out there even for a second in the cold. They were right by Lady Magrashi's home, but she couldn't walk over to the door… Chii picked up a pile of snow and rolled it into a small hard ball. She chucked it at the window, sending powder flying in every direction. Ten seconds later, Chio rushed outside, he looked over at Chii and John's direction, and ran over to them.
 
“I knew it… He wasn't feeling well…”
 
“You would think Chio… Please help me get him inside…”
 
*********
 
They both grabbed an arm, and placed it over their shoulders, they struggled to get John inside and upstairs, as Lady Magrashi commanded. Chii and Chio placed John in the bedroom he stayed at while they had to hide from the hate side. Lady Magrashi examined him for a moment, and pulled the blankets over him.
 
“He just needs rest, that's all. He'll probably feel better in the morning… But, this isn't a symptom he developed today, he's been having a little of this sickness every day ever since he logged off… Its mainly just stress and worry…” Lady Magrashi turned to Chii and Chio. “But he can't log out while he is in this condition, so he has to stay here for the night.
 
“Oh… That reminds me… I need to log out… Bye everyone...” Chio logged out, leaving Chii remaining. She looked down at John; she closed her eyes, and sighed.
 
“I'm sorry Lady Magrashi… But, I think I'm going to stay overnight too…” The old woman turned to Chii.
 
“You can stay here… But why do you want to…?” Chii looked at John, and looked back at Lady Magrashi. The old woman saw sadness, hurt, and confusion in Chii's eyes. Chii blinked and stared at the floor.
 
“I think… I've started something I wasn't supposed to… I think that's the reason why he's sick… I'm worried he won't like me the way he used to… I got him angry…” Chii waked out of the room, the woman hobbled after her, but she saw the door to Chii's room close shut. Lady Magrashi sighed, and closed the door to John's room.
 
“I hope they'll be able to work it out…”
 
************************
 
“Ok, we're going out now, remember, we're going to be gone for the whole day, are you sure you don't want to come with us?”
 
It was morning, and Lady Magrashi needed help on collecting new herbs and things away from El Nath. Thuy and Chio volunteered to come, but Chii wanted to stay with John, he still hasn't wakened up yet from what happened yesterday.
 
“Nah… You guys go, I'll be fine. I need to watch out for John anyway.” Lady Magrashi nodded, and walked out the door with Chio and Thuy.
 
Chii sighed, and looked up the stairs. “I'll go check on John… I guess…” She started walking up the stairs.
 
**********
 
“Oh… What happened…?” John sat up from his bed, and looked around. “Oh… I remember what happened… I got sick… and…Oh…. Oh crap!” John sprang out of bed and looked franticly around the room. “I didn't log off…! Is anyone here?! I need to find her, I need to find Chii!” John ran to the door, and burst out of it, right when Chii was going to open the door.
 
“OH! CHII! ARE YOU OK?! I'm sorry! I'm SORRY!” John knelt on the floor next to Chii. “I flung the door open so fast, I knocked her out! Why was she there anyway?! Did I hit her head?!?!”
 
Chii made dizzying sounds. John panicked, and picked her up. He rapidly looked around again, and ran downstairs with Chii. He placed her on the couch, and ran around the house, looking for Lady Magrashi, Chio, Thuy, anyone!
 
“HELLO?!” John yelled out many times; no answer each time he called out. John cussed under his breath and went back to the couch where he placed Chii. John looked down at her. She looked far from peaceful.
 
“Crap… Crap… Crap…!” John paced around the room, with his hand placed on his forehead. He turned to face Chii again. This time he saw her move her arm to her forehead. John gasped.
 
“Chii?! Are you ok?!” Chii sat up, and stared at him.
 
“Who is… Chii?” She replied
 
A rush of dread swept over John. He stuttered out, “Wh-wh-what... did you… say….?”
 
“Who is Chii?” Chii looked at her hands, and touched her face.
“Who am I?” She turned to John, She touched his arm; John sprang back in sudden shock. He stared at her, she stared back; her eyes seemed cloudy.
 
“Mister, do you know who I am…?”
 
“I'm NOT MISTER! I'M JOHN!” He grabbed Chii's shoulders and shook them lightly. “You are Chii! C-H-I-I!!” She stared at him blankly.
 
“You look like a Charlie to me…” She tilted her head. John smacked himself across the face.
 
“Shit… What the hell did I do…?” John felt a shiver go down his spine. Another wave of dread hit him; he slowly turned his head towards Chii.
 
“You can't log off… Do you know how to log off Chii?!” Chii tilted her head to the other side.
 
“I've always wanted to be named Shasta, and you're Charlie!” John screamed out in pain.
 
“WHAT'S WITH THE CHEESY AMERICAN NAMES?!?!” John went over to a wall, and started smacking his head rapidly. Chii looked at him, and started smacking her forehead with her hand. She looked over to John, and tilted her head again.
 
“Why are you doing that Charlie? It does hurt, I am correct?”
 
“I'm punishing myself…” John murmured.
 
“Shasta gets it now!”
 
“Look…” John walked over to Chii, and put his forehead on her shoulder. “You're name is Chii… ok Chii? My name is Not Charlie, But John. My name is John, and you're name is Chii. Got it?”
 
Chii tilted her head. “Ok Charlie!”
 
“NO! God, amnesia is the worst…!” John looked around; there was a TV in the corner of the room. John stared at it. “There's TV's in virtual reality games…?” John went over and fiddled with the buttons for a while, until he got it to turn on. He sighed and turned to Chii.
 
“Just… watch this, ok? Do you understand?” Chii nodded.
 
John sighed and walked out of the room to the kitchen.
 
“I can't just log off now… I can't leave her here…” He paced around the room, thinking of what to do. “At least she can talk…” He thought. He went back to check up on Chii, she was sitting right In front of the TV, John sighed and sat down next to her. John looked at her.
 
“So… Do you remember…-” Chii placed her hand on his cheek, and pulled him closer until her lips were on John's. He was shocked, but he stayed that way. When Chii let go, John pulled back, and stared at her.
 
“Why did you do that…?”
 
“It was on this thing.” She pointed at the TV; it was showing newlyweds at a chapel.
 
“No, no ,NO!” John yelled again, “You're not supposed to do everything the TV does!”
 
“Ok.”
 
“Don't just say `ok!'”
 
“Then what am I supposed to say Charlie?”
 
“It's John!!”
 
“Ok Charlie, you live here I am correct? Do you know who I am?”
 
“I've been trying to tell you that…”
 
“Oh…” Chii blinked slowly and looked up at John. “I'm sorry for making you angry at me…” John sighed.
 
“I'm not angry at you.”
 
“Yes, you are, I can feel it.” John turned to Chii
 
“What?”
 
Chii placed a hand on her heart. “I do not know… I can just… Feel anger here, but, I do not know why…”
 
Chii looked at the TV. One of the people on the channel was taking her shirt off to change, Chii gripped the bottom of the shirt and attempted to take it off, but John grabbed it and pulled it down before Chii could do anything drastic, and he turned off the TV in the process.
 
“Let's go do something else…” John stepped up and held out his hand to Chii. Chii looked at him, then his extended hand. She tilted her head.
 
“Grab my hand...” Chii obeyed, John pulled her up, Chii just lopped over, so she fell on top of John. They both collapsed on the floor. John sighed.
 
“You're supposed to keep balance…” John looked up at her. Chii tilted her head at him again. John could fell himself getting warmer. He gulped and opened his mouth to say something, but something caught Chii's eye and she crawled forward onto him. He started blushing.
 
“Chii… Please get off of me.”
 
She wasn't really paying attention to him. John crawled out from under her.
 
“What's wrong…?” asked John. Chii looked up at him.
 
“I had felt another feeling… But it's slowly disappearing…”
 
“Oh… What was it?”
 
“I do not know… It was… a weird feeling” Chii blinked slowly. John stared at her, he saw Chii's eyes droop, she started rubbing them with the palm of her hand.
 
“You need to sleep...” He whispered.
 
“What is sleep Charlie?” John ignored the Charlie part; he grabbed her hand and pulled her up. He led Chii up to her room, and made her lie down in bed.
 
“Ok, you just lie down like this, and close your eyes.”
 
“Ok…” Chii closed her eyes. John stood there for five minutes. The he tested of she was awake or not.
 
“Chii?” He poked the side of her arm. Nothing. John heaved a sigh and went downstairs. He sat down on the couch, looking around the room.
 
“Why is no one here besides Chii…?” He wondered aloud. He realized he was sleeping when she was at his door, so she was probably waiting for him to wake up or something…
 
“Oh shit…” John placed his hand on his forehead, like he usually does when he's worried.
 
“Wonder if she never gets her memory back…? She won't remember anyone… She can't even log out of the game…”
 
John rolled his head back, he felt his eyes get heavy, he tried to keep them open, but it was hard, because they felt exactly like lead. After five minutes he was out cold. Just like Chii.
 
***********
 
John woke up first. He opened his eyes, not sure what just happened, he looked outside a window, it was already dark. John sprang up. “Chii…” He ran upstairs to check on her, he opened the door slowly, she was still there sleeping. John sighed in relief. John saw the window open, John went over to shut it, because who ever keeps windows open in the middle of winter? A gust of wind shut the door to Chii's room. John looked back and closed the window. He started walking over to the door, but he looked back at Chii just to make sure she was ok.
 
Now she looked peaceful… Her hair shone in the little light the moon gave out through the window. She wasn't covered in any blankets, just her tube top and pants. He saw the black trench coat she usually wears on the floor of her room. He looked over next to her bed. It was her dagger. John went over to it and picked it up.
 
It was lightweight, but strong and sharp. He slashed it around, it was very fast too; He noticed a little jewel beaded string with a star hanging around the handle. He turned the dagger over, He saw one word carved into the weapon.
 
Brother.
 
John turned it back over; he saw one more word carved into it. On it, it said,
 
John.
 
He placed the dagger where it was. He got up, and stayed by Chii's bedside. He did this when she was hurt in bed, or sick. He didn't know why. He just felt paranoid whenever she was in a bad condition out of his sight.
 
John saw Chii arch her back, and turn over the opposite direction, so she was facing him now. He felt a surge go through his whole body. He gripped the side of his pants. “Why do I feel this way…? I shouldn't…”
 
He also saw Chii open her eyes. John jumped in surprise.
 
“Chii! You're awake now I'm glad and…”
 
Chii stared at him. But she didn't tilt her head or anything.
 
“John…”
 
“My name isn't Charlie… wait, you know my name…?”
 
Chii sat up, she looked at her hands. “Yeah. I do know who I am… It's weird. Whenever I go to sleep in any bad condition, I feel better…”
 
To John, this didn't make sense at all. But he didn't say anything. He was just so relived that Chii knew who she was. He laughed and sighed at the same time.
 
“Are the others home yet…?” Chii asked.
 
“No...” John looked at the floor.
 
“Good…” Chii whispered.
 
“Good? Why is that good...?”
 
Chii slowly got up and walked over to him, John kept backing up until he was cornered of into a wall. Chii pressed her body onto his. She moved her head towards his ear.
 
“You seem to be backing away from me a lot…” Chii started sliding John down onto the floor until she was on top of him, she lowered herself down and started taking off the belt he had on. It took that moment for John to figure out what was happening.
 
“Chii… Why are you doing this..?”
 
“Because John…” She paused, and started taking off his black shirt. “You think I love some other guy, I want you, and only you. I want it to stay that way… Also…” She pulled she shirt off of John completely. “I can feel the feelings that other people are feeling… I felt that surge go throughout your body when you were watching me sleep… I want to prove to you… that…” Chii cut off. She started to slowly slide John's pants off.
 
“Chii… Wait… Chii… Chii!! Stop!!” John grabbed Chii's shoulders, and held her in front of him.
 
“I get it now, ok? If you would go this far just to prove it to me, I'll believe you! And so what if I felt a `surge' through my body? All men are perverted! It's just the way we are, so no fulfilling anyone's desires or anything!” He took a deep breath and looked up at Chii. She smiled, and started laughing.
 
“Ok, ok, I'm glad you got it.” Chii laughed, picked up her trench coat, and put it on.
 
“Wait, that's it, you're ok with it?” John looked at Chii.
 
“Yeah, It's not like we're thirteen anymore when we couldn't handle stuff like this.”
 
John nodded, he got up, and stared at Chii, she turned around, and caught his gaze.
 
“Do you love me?” She whispered.
 
“Huh?”
 
“Do you love me?” Chii laughed “This would have been pretty pointless if you didn't.”
 
John looked at her, he went over to Chii, and hugged her. Chii felt herself blush
 
“Don't be silly, of course…”
 
John stepped away from her; he picked up his shirt and belt on the floor, and walked out of the room. Chii turned around, and stared at her dagger. She picked it up, and turned it over to where the name John was carved into it. She stared at her door, and back at her dagger, she placed the weapon on the floor next to her bed. She crawled under her sheets, and sighed.
 
“Usually I get so pissed when people touch my dagger… But I was Ok with John touching it… It must be a new emotion I can feel…”