Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction / Fables/Fairytales Fan Fiction ❯ Magic & Demons ❯ Chapter 1: Secret Meeting ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

 
Chapter 1: Secret Meeting
 
A female ice blue wolf with black tipped ears, tail, and paws padded out the woods into a meadow. The meadow was surrounded by trees but in the center sat a pond overlooked by a giant rock. On that rock was a 17-year-old girl who sat, unblinking at the water. Her name was: Kailei. She had long light brown hair that was back in two pigtails with her bangs hanging in front of her face. Kailei had eyes that were the thickest shade of emerald green. The wolf nuzzled Kailei forcing her to turn around.
 
“Hey Unole! What are you doing here?” asked Kailei when she saw the wolf and wrapped her arms around the female wolf's neck in a hug.
 
Unole just looked at her for the briefest moment as if she was surprised that Kailei had even asked. “Kuna wants to see you. He says that it's important. Also, I've missed you. We all were begging to come get you but in the end I got to come,” answered Unole kindly. She licked Kailei's face and began to pad off turning only to see if Kailei was coming.
 
Kailei watched Unole then her eyebrows and sighed, “Oh, all right.”
 
Kailei followed Unole silently through the woods to the wolf den where the lived. Their leader Kuna, like most wolves of this pack had an unusual pelt. He was midnight blue pelt with yellowish-gold eyes and the tips of his paws, ears, and tail were white. Not all of the wolves had the tip of their paws, ears, and tail a different color. That was only for the wolves that had special powers. Kuna couldn't do much with his but his powers made him likeable to every creature. That's why Kuna was the head of the wolf pack.
 
Unole continued to lead Kailei through the woods until they stopped in a clearing. All around them were wolves of different colors some were the traditional grey, black, and white wolves. Unole just kept padding ignoring the stares of others. She led Kailei to a huge white oak tree and sat down to wait for Kuna.
 
“Unole, you did well. Now would you kindly put up a barrier?” said a gruff male voice from behind the oak tree.
 
Unole stood and concentrated. Her pelt was now glowing a soft blue then as quickly as it came, it faded. Kuna stepped out from behind the tree and nodded to Unole.
 
“What's with the barrier? Aren't you liked by everyone?” questioned Kailei when Kuna looked at her.
 
“Well dear,” he started his voice filled with kindness and love, “What I need to tell you…no one in my pack other than Unole should know. It's of serious importance to you and I don't want any of the other pack members to think that you're in trouble. They might just want to go with you and they can't,” he stopped and looked at Kailei as if he knew that she was about to ask a question.
 
She was. “Why would they want to go with me? Where am I going? If you don't want anyone to go with me then why let Unole in on the conversation? You know she can do a barrier around us. So why?” bombarded Kailei brimming with curiosity.
 
“Slow down child. All I will reveal itself in time. As for Unole being allowed to hear…you'd think that you want your pack sister to hear what I have to say,” answered Kuna with no hesitations that Kailei could notice. Kuna sat and stared at Kailei until she forced herself to sit so that she didn't have to keep looking down.
 
“Yes, I want Unole to listen but your logic just doesn't make any sense. She might want to go with me too,” commented Kailei looking over at Unole who was sitting next to her on her right.
 
Kuna looked at Kailei for a moment then answered wisely as ever, “Unole will be going with you. If you were gone Unole wouldn't know what to do with herself. You should have seen her pace around here until I told her that she could go fetch you. Her face lighted up like the afternoon sun hitting a flower. As bright as ever. Pure joy.”
 
Kailei didn't know what to say. Unole has always been there with her. Kailei wouldn't know what to do without her. Kailei looked at Unole and smiled, turning to hug her pack sister.
 
“Okay, it's not like I'm dying Kailei. Now let go and see what Kuna has to say about our journey together,” growled jokingly. Kailei smiled while letting go of her pack sister's neck and turned to Kuna.
 
Kuna nodded at Kailei and began, “16-years-ago you were found sleeping under an umbala tree. The tree which you now know that signifies new life. Well we have discovered dark magic somewhere around there. Numi found a portal and we figure that you must have come from the portal. But we don't know where it goes so we're sending Unole with you. You must go back to find out who you are before the portal closes. It's been open for 16 years so we don't know how much longer it will last. Kailei you must go today. I am greatly sad to see you go and as much as I want you to stay you must go. This isn't your world.”
 
Kailei looked at Kuna sadly and nodded, “Yes, I must go today. Could you tell my other pack sisters and brother that I will miss them dearly,” paused Kailei standing up with great sadness and continued, “I will miss you just as much, Kuna. Hopefully I will meet someone like you in the portal.”
 
Kuna stood and padded over to Kailei as the tears began to run down her face. He nuzzled her leg and she fell to her knees throwing her arms around him and crying. You may not think that wolves can cry but Kuna started to cry too. Kailei just stayed there until she felt that all of the tears dry out from her, like she could not possibly cry again. Unole moved over to her and began to whine. They needed to leave. Kailei unwrapped herself from Kuna and stood once more. They stayed there while Unole brought the barrier down. As if all at once she was surrounded by wolves, they wanted to comfort her even though they didn't know the conversation. Kailei smiled softly.
 
“Unole, shall we?” asked Kailei not ready to leave at all.
 
“Yes sister, we shall,” answered Unole moving to her side again. They moved through the crowd of wolves who moved aside and made a path for her. At the end of the path was Numi.
 
“Ready?” frowned Numi trying hard not to cry.
 
“As I'll ever be,” replied Kailei her voice as cold as the bitter wind in the winter. Unole beside her just nodded. She didn't want to say anything for she feared if she did it would be to say goodbye and none of the other wolves were supposed to know.
 
They followed Numi through the woods not bothering to look back. It was too sad. They followed in complete silence. It was silent; you could hear a tree drop a league away quiet. They walked for a long time. The moon had come out by now and it felt like somehow the moon was telling Kailei and Unole that they'd be alright. That it wouldn't be as bad as it felt. They reached their destination within a few more minutes. Numi lowered her head and bowed to Kailei and Unole.
 
“Farewell. I wish you two luck on the other side,” said Numi then turning and running back through the woods, back to Kuna and their family.
 
Kailei looked at the portal. It didn't look like much. It didn't light up or have anything special about it. But when the moonlight shined on it the portal seemed to shimmer. Kailei placed her hand on Unole. They looked at each other in silent agreement and stepped forward into the portal.