Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction / Fables/Fairytales Fan Fiction ❯ Slowly Disapear ❯ Dead ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Now, now please wake up wolf ling. I can't have you dieing on me now.”
 
Through her groggy dreams of blackness she could make out the cragginess of a male voice asking her to stay alive. Life what use does she have of it.
 
She was just about to let herself fall back into peaceful blackness when the delicious smell of meat entered her nostrils, the sweet, juicy, charred, tangy smell of steak. Her stomach rumbled loudly announcing her hunger.
 
“Well obviously this steak isn't going to eat its self young lady, do you mind waking yourself we have much to talk about.” There was that voice again. It belonged to a plump middle-aged man, resembling a kind grandfather with an open face and a joyous smile. His balding head was rimmed in frail silver hairs but his beard was full and thick with light brown hair.
 
The pale girl finally cracked open her dry and swollen eyes to the onslaught of sunlight that she later pinpointed to originate from a small window right above the soft bed she also found herself to be resting upon.
 
Her red hair was tangled with various leaves and sticks and her whole body ached. She pushed back the titian colored blanket and reached for the plate of rare steaks that the kindly old man had set down on the bedside table.
 
Knowing they were for her, she ate with a vengeance.
 
The plump old man sat himself down in an old rocking chair adorning a corner of the small sunlight lit room. He folded his hands together and watched her with contentment, just slowly rocking back and forth.
 
The only sounds in the room were the creaking of the rocking chair and the scrap of the young girl's knife as she tore vigorously through the pieces of meat. Soon she was finished eating and with a clink of her utensils the room fell silent. The creaking had stopped.
 
The old man was now looking at her with an unwavering stare.
 
“Imagine to my surprise when I walked out of my cottage this morning only to find a Girl scratched and marred lying in the grass.” There was no hostility in his voice nor was there anything that would hint questioning, his voice was strong but kind. When the girl made no move to retort he went on.
 
“I have room in my home for you, if you don't want to go home. But you will also have to do some work for me. I trust you can control your wolf; otherwise I will have to hand you over to the local alpha for training. If you do not wish to stay here that is your choice, I know you have been through something and I will not push you to do something you don't want to do.”
 
He ended on a light note after the girl started to shake her head in terror at the mention of another Alpha not doubt with his own pack.
 
She does not like her own kind, the old man realized.
 
“Well come on then time to get up, you slept well past noon. I need to go over your tasks that I will have you do for me. The shower is down the hall I have already set out a fresh pair of clothes and a towel. Seek me out when you're done, I will be outside.”
 
He hoisted himself up out of the rocking chair with a creak of old bones and just when he was about to make it out the door way her voice stopped him.
 
“How did you know?” When he turned his head back around he found that her head was downcast and he could barely make out the tip of her nose through the curtain of deep red. He smiled a knowing smile.
 
“I know a Fea when I see one, being a Fea myself.” With that he was out the doorway and his footsteps faded moments later.
 
The girl just sat on the bed for several more minutes just breathing in the earthy smell of dwarf goblins completely loses her self in her memories of her abusive pack.
 
When she felt the suns rays on the back of her eyelids she willed herself to move. Her aching body protested when she pushed herself up even further and she rested on one arm; using the other to swipe the hair back behind her shoulders.
 
Though she was not concerned any longer with her appearance, an idea formed in her mind.
 
Finally she dragged herself out of the quaint bed and stood on the floor with firm feet and a rigid posture.
 
She was so sore; she had been running all night. Running away from her pain and sorrow, she truly was a coward just like they said.
 
The girl shook her head and pulled herself out of her musing. Down the alcove she walked, just briefly casting a fleeting glance at the many artworks that adorned the walls. Most were mainly consisting of flowers and they smelled so heavy with paint, the girl thought that she would be over whelmed. But then again to any one including her they had a sort of comfort to them. Perhaps that was the reason that the old fea had so many of them.
 
Just as he said that shower was just down the hall, it seemed he had taken the liberty of starting up the shower for the girl.
 
She was grateful.
 
The girl entered the beige colored bathroom and closed the door quietly behind her. She turned to the shower and checked the water temperature but she stalled on getting undressed and cleaning up.
 
Her green eyes which had a touch of brown in them sparkled dimly as she turned towards the ebony rimmed body length mirror that rested on the back of the door.
 
A girl of 17 with weak eyes, a powerful body, and a pale face stared back at her. The girl slowly reached up her scratched arm to trace the scabbed over lines of pale red that were positioned all over her face. She winced in slight pain and tears came back to her eyes. When the first tear made its way down here face it took all the dirt with it and for the first time in a many days she was finally able to see just how much dirt had accumulated upon her body.
 
Her eyes glanced once more towards her thick red mane. A look of resolve crossed her face and she raised her hand. Willing her nails to elongate, just as she had done with her canines, she bunched all her hair together and swiped furiously at it. Piles of red hair fell to the floor and swirled around her bare feet. After some tweaking she shrank her nails back down, observing her self in the mirror once more.
 
Where it had once been thick and unmanageable her hair was now short, just slightly past her ears in the front and sweeping all the way up to the nape of her neck in the back. Her bangs were side swept in a full face frame.
 
Once picking up and tossing all of the hair on the floor into the waste basket she stripped herself of the plain t-shirt and breeches and hopped into the shower.
It was not long before she was done, memories of her past plagued her when she let her mind wander and one to many times she found that she had rubbed her skin raw in an attempt to cleanse herself of the many feelings floating just below her skin.
 
She did not wish to remember.
 
She dressed in the clothes that had been left for her, so similar to the ones she had worn just earlier before, and soon she was stumbling her way back down the alcove looking for an exit from the cottage.
 
Û°Û°Û°
 
Outside it was hot and fresh, a fitting day for a day in the sun. The woods were alive with birds and various other animals. The old cottage nestled deep in the woods was surrounded by a poisonous herb garden and currently an old man was on his knees tending to it.
 
In the distance footsteps could be heard and a voice shouted a name from a distance.
 
“Sir Mallot! How are you this fine day?” A Man with black hair and a kind smile stopped before the kneeled man and reached out a hand to help him up. The old man, Sir Mallot, smiled and was just about to retort when he twisted around to look at his cottage door. It seems she finally immerging.
 
Û°Û°Û°
 
The red headed girl had finally managed to find the right door and was only just now immerging from the cottage into the sweltering daylight.
 
Even before she was all that way out the door she smelt it.
 
There was another wolf near.
 
She managed to keep her growl just low enough to not draw attention as she shied away from Sir Mallot and his wolf guest. She had to keep reminding herself that not all wolves were like the ones in her old pack and that she had no right to be rude to a guest of the kindly old man that had graciously decided without reserve to house her, and to top it all off, nor did he question her.
 
The men had noticed her now, actually the kindly old fea had noticed her from the start and only just now was the black haired wolf stranger looking at her.
The girl shied away from them as they greeted her.
 
“Sir Mallot, when did you pick up a stray?” There was no malice in his voice but she could see the discontentment in his eyes, the way his bore into hers gave her a sick feeling in her stomach.
 
“Alex Wiser you ought to be ashamed! You know of my disliking of that word. And if we're calling names wasn't it you that was living my house as a stray not to long ago? I'm afraid it's time to get to work for you. Now go on off with you!” Like and old lady swatting at a fly Sir Mallot shooed Alex back down the path leading to what could only be described as a green house. Alex went, but he was fuming all the way and just before turning around the corner of the cottage he gave the red headed girl one more glowering stare.