Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction / Fables/Fairytales Fan Fiction ❯ Slowly Disapear ❯ The old hag and her lessons ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Her eyelashes flaked away swirling dust, a yawn escaped taunt lips and her breathe rushed out harshly. Sunlight streamed through in wispy rays, spreading over the room and advancing upon the slowly fading shadows.
 
Outside chirping birds could be heard, but inside the cottage noises drifted through the halls, entering through the thick slab of wood that is her door; soaking through and sounding muffled. A whistle could be heard, as in response to the birds it rose and fell in a flurry of movements. Sir Mallot's shuffle could be made out over the whistling, the smell of bacon wavered past her nose and the sound of popping became apparent.
 
Time for breakfast.
 
She shoved back the thin blanket, her arm muscles taunt as she rose them above her head; stretching she swung her legs over the side of the bed, her sleeping breeches riding up against the side of her thigh revealing creamy and freckled skin.
 
She yawned again her mouth open wide before she set her feet down against cold wood; shivering slightly at lose of warmth, she started towards the door.
 
Walking past the paintings and doors, Ari turned into the kitchen fully prepared for her butt to meet the seat sitting to a tousled Eoin who was already seated and yawning, a glass of orange juice in a hand resting on the table. But before walking three steps through the doorframe she was intercepted and pushed into the wood work of the frame, with it jamming into her back and a sharp but dull pain spreading through it, she looked down investigating the lose of blood to her legs.
 
Storm Pearl was standing on her two hind paws, the front ones being wrapped around Ari's legs in a tight squeeze. Storms head rested against Ari's thigh, her jaws roughly brushing against Ari's bare skin as she hid her face from the view of the three occupants of the kitchen like a small child would do with its mother in public.
 
Ari gazed down in wonderment, the morning fog still disappearing from her mind, a smile grew on her lips and she knelt down gently removing the clawed paws and holding them in her hands.
 
Storms face lifted and her eyes blinked innocently at Ari, the blue depths alight, reflecting the bright sunlight that spilled through the entire kitchen through a wall length wall the faced the sunrise; the sun itself could be seen above the annex of the mountains that rose in the distance, it's light slide down the mountains side and shadows turned into trees; a trickling stream eroded a meandering path through the mountains, the water flashing with light.
 
High squeals erupted from deep with in Storms throat, her lips pulled back in a dragon smile and she latched back onto Ari, who was beginning to giggle; the happiness radiating off Storm becoming contagious.
 
“Humph.” Sir Mallot cleared his throat and Ari's smile spread face rose to greet his laughing eyes. Silently he held up his hands, a frying skillet occupied one and a plate resided in the other.
 
Unlatching Storm's appendages with a burst of strength she leaned over and grasped the plate before moving to sit down, Storm followed closely behind, her talons making a click on the wood floor.
 
“Thanks Sir Mallot, so what is in store for today?” Spoke Ari as she fumbled with her fork, burning the roof of her mouth on sizzling egg. Eoin laughed lazily as he watched her drowned down glass of water.
 
Sir Mallot sat down with his own plate of eggs and bread, nibbling on it he swallowed before taking in both Eoin's and Ari's waiting faces; waiting for Storm Pearls tale.
 
Sighing he spoke scooting his plate back carelessly.
 
“Her name is Storm Pearl, new born babe of Elder Dragon Night Wing and Leader Storm Bright. Her heritage is the highest of the high, she would be leader today if there were still enough dragons left in the mountains to compile a council, but sadly she is one of the very last few. Only three other exist; scared and hidden away from the evils of this domain. Her parents were killed by men claiming to be Nobel Knights, they were nothing more then dragon hunters; their occupation was only taken on by few but those who committed the horrendous act of dragon hunting were experts at it.” Sir Mallot's face grew hard, his mouth tight lipped but onward into his tale he continued weaving a scene, “She was not but three years old when all the council members were wiped out, a new born babe; her scales still the dull grey as was characteristic of younglings. Her eye's had yet to develop fully, the thin film covering them dulling her vision and depth perception.”
 
“The hunters sparred her, with every intent of returning to slaughter when she had grown a hide of beautiful scale and marble like eyes; eyes that resembled her fathers, Lord Night Wing. Her hide is her mothers, but bleached white by long hours in the sun; Storm Bright's scales were a dark grey, wavering and tinting like the clouds before a raging storm. Storm spent three more years traveling through the thick foliage of the mountains forest, growing and coming more into her abilities, by the end of year two she no longer had to worry about living until the next morning. She roosted in a large cave marking the top of the highest peak. The hunters never returned, having long died of disease and famine. She says that's when she was sent to you, for a reason she has kept hidden; she was sent to you.” His eyes pierced hers and the magnitude of seeing your entire clan defeated and tore apart suddenly stripped across her mind ever flowing as a river. To survive a babe, in dense woods filled with unimaginable dangers and predators, worrying day after day for her safety, to ultimately come to her was fate by chance.
 
“Ari, Storm is six years old, still considered young in human years but her mind is a temple of knowledge that should she choose to share it, it would far surpass the brinks of human minds, treat her well. She can eat anything, the acid and fire in her stomach is not phased by anything of the sort. She needs not to be provided with food, she has assured me that she can fend for herself. The only requirement she has is equipped is a walk through the woods once a day, whenever possible. And that's about it, seems to me that taking care of a dragon is easily done, and of course she will be sleeping in your room; that is if ya don't mind.”
 
Sir Mallot scooted his plate back, the unsealed clay on the bottom chipping and making a sonic pitched squeak. His fork already in hand, eggs became to fly in a flurry of motion their destination Sir Mallot's mouth.
 
Ari stared on in astonishment for a split second, disbelief stretching crossed her face, and Eoin's face resembled hers as he sat next to her staring as she was at Sir Mallot.
 
“That's it?” Sputtered Ari, Storm was tugging impatiently at her breeches, her claws tearing small holes along the hem; her voice rose in a whisper of whistles, she tugged harder trying to gain Ari's attention.
 
“Yup that's about it, and it appears she would like that walk right about now.” Sir Mallot's lips formed over half chewed foot and the edges twitched up in a smile as Ari began to be tugged out the doorframe by and impatient Storm. Signing at his frankness, Ari gave in and trailed along behind the leading Dragon.
 
Û°Û°Û°
 
The trees were swaying with creaking movements and her thin clothes allowed the breeze to pass straight through and raise Goosebumps. Storm trailed in front of her, her gait set on four sturdy and stout paws that lefts indents in the fresh mud. Ari took in the scenery as she trailed silently behind; enjoying the serenity.
 
Dew still kissed the wilting lips of flowers, the edges of the crystalline collections of sunlight just beginning to harden with the tall tale signals of frost and its association with winter. The ground upon which they strolled was patterned with flame orange and dull Earth colored leaves; having fallen from the surrounding trees. Pine needles hushed their passing in a light cushion spreading wide and far across the forest. The sunlight swept through the maze of tall standing trees, sometimes leaving shadows to rule in heavily packed sections.
 
Ancient Rowans stood tall and proud, the years carved into their thick bark, Maples with their wide leaves and thick sap grew less grandly and aged more quickly, decomposing on the ground around the path were the stumps of long fallen trees; they were covered in fungi and toadstools, some brown and some containing the poisonous characteristics of the red tops spotted with white.
 
Branches stretched far over head littering the forest floor with an intricate and never-ending patterns of light and dark. The light breeze carried on its back the smell of earth and mold, the muskiness calming Ari's nerves that had been beginning to become shot after all the recent developments. She stretched her arms wide and brought them up to be clasped behind her head; they rested against mussed silky red hair and she breathed in deeply, her stomach protruding with the amount of air in her lungs.
 
Distantly water could be heard traveling over rocks and falling down falls with a weak roar. Ari glanced around to get her bearings, Storm still paced ahead of her; she picked her way through the decomposing leaves and low-living plants. Behind her the path meandered in twist and turns before disappearing into a cluster grove of tall Birches. Sir Mallot's cottage long lost from view. Curiously she turned back towards Storm, still traveling steadily behind; her arms bounced up and down and she hopped little on each step, her bare feet digging into the soil and becoming thoroughly browned.
 
“Where are we headed Storm?” Ari's voice left her mouth attentively, almost questioning her sanity for talking to a Dragon.
 
Storm turned her head briefly and an image of trickling water passing over rocks next to a bank flashed in her mine. Storm turned around and continued along the beaten path not once stopping for the frozen Ari.
 
Not wanting to be left behind, Ari tuckered up and tried to calmly register that she had just been given and answer through a picture in her mind; when she had expected no answer at all.
 
She was well behind, dropping her hands she raced forward, feet beating against the ground, her mouth closed and air running in and out of her nose; it wasn't long before she caught up to the strolling Dragon. Ari returned her hands clasped to hang behind her head; she cocked her head to the side and studied Storm.
 
The sunlight danced across her scales, the ever clear white lying above depths of softened lavender. Her tail was long and balanced out the gait of her walk. Tiny bone white spikes rose and fell along her back. She looked every bit the majestic dragon.
 
The streams rush became louder as they steadily ate up the length between them and it as they walked. Soon the trees were parting, opening into a wide bank; multicolored rocks overwhelmed any vegetation, and large rocks were carved with crags and crevices.
 
But against the scenery of a clear stream and surrounding wood stood a black robbed figure, wispy and tangled grey hair falling into view beneath a blackened shadow within the hood, it fell well past the figure falling just short of a third of a way from the rocky bank; it was limp waves and steel grey, the hair of a witch.
 
Û°Û°Û°
 
On guard Ari approached the standing figure; Storm Pearl stayed back an air of calmness around her.
 
The persons scent held nothing of rage, violence, or deceit; just the smell of herbs and magic. She stood now, not but five feet from the mysterious person. Ari was just about to open her mouth and ask a question when a fierce wind blew through, stirring leaved and rippling standing puddles of water.
 
“Welcome Ari the chosen one.” A secretive mummer of sound, smooth as the wind itself, surrounded her, entered her mind and whispered next to her ears. All around her it sounded, the figure moving not an inch. A shiver ran down Ari's spine.
 
“What do you want with me?” Her voice sounded harsh in panic and fear, the rough texture of it rose over the howls of the wind as it ripped through the trees; whistling.
 
A cackling rose from the hooded figures throat and frail arms swept up, in bell sleeves, to push back the black hood in a fall of fabric.
 
Ari's eyes widened and she realized that it was the Crone she had seen in `Crones shop'.
 
“I knew there was something special the moment I set eyes on you yesterday and imagine to my surprise when I spied you taking the Codex. I am old now dearie but this old witch still complies with her job.” Aged teeth, stained, shone through wrinkled lips as she spoke.
 
Hesitating, Ari's eyes appeared withdrawn and without emotion. Several minutes passed by in silence, the wind continuing to howl through the forest, chilling the already frosty air and making Ari shiver involuntarily.
 
Impatiently behind her Storm whistled in annoyance, her chides brushing through Ari's mind, mocking her fear and consoling her bristled fur at the same time.
 
“She is right you know it is your duty.” Spoke the old witch, her voice as frail as ice and as endless as the wind. Ari sighed now, in resignation, her fear diminishing.
 
“What do you want with me exactly?” She still treaded with light feet, but her curiosity shone through, bright and anticipating. No answer came; instead the old lady beckoned her with weathered hands, Ari followed reluctantly to the edge of the bank where the lady had sunk down on rickety knees; brushing aside her cape she pulled out some crumbles of bread, throwing them carelessly to the minnows and fish.
 
Ari stood closely behind, watching the act with rapt fascination as light seemed to shimmer off the water in every color imaginable. Storm was near by, slurping water up noiselessly with her snout.
 
“My name is Eyla. Once I was a young and beautiful girl such as your self, but I was far less modest and controlled. It wasn't long before I found myself in a tight spot with a very important person. I knew a little magic then, and often I used it to do harmful deeds. One night I stole from the wrong person and found my self locked up in a cell my dawns rise.” Eyla's hands worked against the stubbornly stale bread, breaking it off chunk by chunk, the dwindling piece hard against her skin.
 
For moments there was silence; Eyla's eyes lost in reminisce of her past, dazedly the words spilled from her lips, wrapping around them and weaved pictures of the past.
 
“Oh, yes that was so long ago. I spent days in the cell, the rotten grout smelling to high heavens, being leered at by the other male prisoners.” She turned her head to Ari now, her face appearing younger and less worn, “I was scarred you must understand, I grew up a farm girl; with a wealthy family, never getting in trouble for even the hugest deed. I remember vividly the first time I tasted fresh air after weeks in the cells. I had just turned eighteen, my once fine ruby dress was torn and covered in muck, and I smelled worse then a pig's pen. But outside, oh outside it was glorious, the sun was high in the sky, it's rays warming everything it touched. A few wispy clouds chased each other across the horizon, and my long hair swayed in the powerful wind, leaves danced in my wake and the wooden path we left on would not be one I would ever walk again.”
 
Her words trailed off, her face no longer pointed towards Ari.
 
“I must say to be summoned before the Dragon Friend himself came as big a shock as any. It wasn't until after he was through talking that it registered in my mind what I was being offered. A chance to become his apprentice. I accepted without restraint, not really aware of how my future would turn out. I studied for years, under his wing and a constant variable in his house. I was with him the day he died; his once fine face had aged over the years; as had mine. His were sunken in with sickness and one day he found himself unable to walk. I was called to his immediately, but no healing magic or spell would work. It was then in his finale hour that my true was revealed. It was my knowledge of magic that saved my life that day I was taken from the cell; it was magic that had sustained me for all these years, hundreds in fact. And it was all for one finale purpose, I was trained for the single goal of training the next Chosen. You, I am here to train you.” Eyla's mind returned from the past, her last words ringing loudly around the now silent clearing, even Storm had ceased all movement to study Eyla.
 
“Me? You have to teach me magic?! Impossible, I contain not a single gene of magic, in fact I don't think anyone does anymore, so what makes me so special?” She really wanted to know, and it shone clearly on her face.
 
Eyla chuckled, her eyes twinkling in youth beyond her age.
 
“All in good time Dearie, for now it is time to start.” She stood up now, leaning heavily against a large rock for support, her knees popping soundly.
 
“But.” Seeing the look on Eyla's face she stopped facing defeat.
 
“We'll start with wind. Now there is a very simple enchantment to control the wind. Just repeat after me Dearie” Eyla added spying Ari's bemused and disbelieving expression.
 
Twisting, Tumbling, Twirling Wind
And that there is and all that has been
Come to me oh mighty wind
I forever promise to be your friend
 
Snuffled laughter began to arise from Ari's closed mouth, the words sounded so light and without meaning to her, doubt planted firmly in her mind.
 
Nothing happened for several seconds, all was as before, the wood silent and steadily growing brighter as the sun rose higher. Seconds ticked by, in the distance a rabbit could be heard burrowing through the undergrowth in search of food. Just as Ari's mouth opened to release pent up words a powerful gust blew fast. Leaves lifted and danced around circling the clearing, the dead browns and newly fallen green and oranges spiraling against white and brown bark, reaching the sky they flashed across the bright blue sea before dispersing outside the circle, falling gently into their meandering paths to the forest floor; where they rested once more.
 
Ari stood, slightly stunned her eyes unblinking. Storm whistled and chirped in delight and waddled on her hind haunches to swat at the falling leaves, managing to tear a couple to shreds before the last leaf touched down silently. Storm turned her eyes bright with delight, looking from Ari to Eyla; a silent plea across her face.
 
Ignoring Ari's astonished stare Eyla chuckled and suddenly leaves swept up and swirled all around Storm, flowing through the gaps in her outstretched paws. Storm continued to swat at them, the wind seeming meant only for her. Eyla beckoned Ari closer again, one spidery finger bending in on her outstretched hand. Ari stumbled forward, rushing hastily, her astonishment gone; leaving only the want to learn behind.
 
“Now Dearie, would you like me to repeat the chant again?” Asked Eyla cheerfully, her arm sweeping around to rest on Ari's clothed shoulders. She laughed in merriment when Ari's red hair swayed with the force of her nodding head. Even Storm whistled her delight, just managing to pull her self away from the falling colors that circled her.
 
Û°Û°Û°
 
Sweat dripped from her forehead, and tendrils slithered down her back; but all of that was put out of mind as she concentrated on the tear of brown set before her. The oak leaf shivered before becoming stationary once more. The girl sighed in frustration; standing up abruptly she strode around the clearing in agitation.
 
“Ari, I never said you would get it right away. Making a single leaf move took me several weeks to get the hang of, let alone masses of them; often times the wind will not recognize you as a friend until you have spent enough time trying to gain its friendship.” Eyla spoke to the pacing girl, annoyance clearly showing in her voice at Ari's stubbornness.
 
They had been working for hours straight since Eyla had first preformed the leaf cyclone. Since then Ari had been occupying the forest floor among the lichens and mosses, moving from leaf to leaf periodically; even going as far as too march over to the bubbling Brooke and picking out a wet decomposing piece of brown moss that resided against the eroded rocks.
 
Long since lunch had passed by with the rise and fall of the sun. Storm had taken to sleeping in a spot of sunlight streaming in through the tree tops, her smoky breathe floating from violently shinning nostrils, a grumble of hunger sounding deep from within. Eyla's stomach often answered the call with one of her own.
 
“I know that, I was just hoping it wouldn't take me as long. I've never even dreamed of trying magic; for me, the farthest into my knowledge told me that it had in fact been a quickly disappearing ability. Although I have never been onto the other side of those mountains, so who knows? And now I learn that all of a sudden I'm supposed to be some Archimage, an almighty Sorcerer, the supposed chosen one.” The words flew from her mouth in a flurry of syllables, a gust of breathe rushing past taunt lips that had slowly been gnawed into sore, pink, blood spotted flesh, her canines making quick work of the soft flesh. Her tongue lashed out, running along them, breaking open the coagulated blood and making her grimace as the smarted. She ran a clawed hand through her limp hair, sighing once more in defeat.
 
Storm bustled over, reaching Ari she balanced in her hind paws and wrapped her clawed appendages around Ari's pale and exposed legs; giving encouragement in her own way.
“I know how you feel, I felt the same way when I was first appointed as Sir Mallot's apprentice, but gradually I learned patience; and then things began to come easier as my power developed with practice.” Eyla moved to stand next to Ari, one of her hands resting on Ari's shoulders in assurance. Her voice taking on a comforting tone.
 
“You had best be getting back now Ari, lest Sir Mallot become alarmed with your absence.” Eyla's arm lifted and before Ari spoke a single word she was gone, seeming to sink into the ground herself. The only thing left was a slight whisper waffling through the trees, its words warning of secrecy.
 
Û°Û°Û°
 
“I suppose you'll be taking me when and where Eyla shows up again, Storm?” Ari's words directed themselves towards the hobbling creature as they passed age-worn Rowans and strong Oaks. Storm simply whistled again, her ivory paw swiping out to catch a stirring leaf; tearing it to shreds she whistled, her sea eyes swirling with mystery and delight. Ari simply huffed again in frustration, still sore over Eyla's vanishing exit.
 
The chant was still fresh in her head, around and around it bounced; irritating her to no end, her head began to ache.
 
Her breath fled through her sore lips, drying the moisture with one hot sweep, she pulled her lips tight against the air and breathed deeply through her nose. Putting the chant away, locking it deep within her vaulted mind seemed to ease her pain and not before long she found her self humming quietly; endlessly her mind wandered, from topic to topic, as ever-changing as the trees and fungi the forest floor housed.
 
She closed her eyes for a brief second, the pads of her feet treading lightly on soft decomposing earth; her heart beat pounded in her ears, the rhythm odd yet familiar. A vision appeared against the back of her lids, smiling at her.
 
A sigh escaped her as she admired Eoin's kind face and virtuous heart, his eyes smiling at her from the image her mind created. The world seemed to fade around her, deaf was the silence and she walked on air.
 
Û°Û°Û°
 
Alone she floated, back in a strange blackness; it surrounded her, caressed her skin, and kissed her lips.
 
A small light appeared, swirling through the black mist and slowly banishing it. Ari watched in wonderment as she landed softly on swaying grass, the blades folding beneath her feet. The wind danced around her, seeming to touch but she remained stagnant, her hair refusing to rise in the gale.
 
The suns rays shinned brightly through staggered branches, creating heated pockets of sunshine.
 
Her ear twitched as she heard a ghost of a squeal, it was muffled; as was every other sound that reached her ears in this dream place.
 
She thought she was alone but to her right appearing from behind a giant Pine appeared a sweet youngling, her wolf blood already turning her maturing eyes a vibrant green flecked with specks of moon. Ari watched as she raced from behind the tree, a yellow summer dress floating on the wind as she soared across the clearing, barefooted and laughing.
 
“Wait! Please where am I?” Called Ari as the youngling passed, she seemed not to notice instead her head turned back as she ran, green eyes searching the woods, she smiled in delight and Ari turned back; her eyes also surveying the endless wood.
 
A gasp escaped her lips and her eyes danced vibrantly as the peered upon an aged Eoin. His hair was longer and laugh lines crinkled in the corner of his eyes, but she knew it was him; he still wore the same silver hoop.
 
“Daddy, mommy! I beat you here!” Called the child, she giggled as a strand of light red hair flew into her eyes, the wind caressing her skin.
 
Ari looked harder now, searching in hope that there was a reasonable explanation. But her eyes only widened in confusment as a familiar voice popped from the trees, a hidden body emerging.
 
“Alright Al, you get to choose dinner then.”