Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction / Fables/Fairytales Fan Fiction ❯ The Blood That Ties ❯ Marked ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: Hey everyone! The Plot Bunnies have hit! And you know what that means! More chapters... If only that meant more reviews *pout*.
 
The Blood That Ties
 
After a few moments of wandering the halls, Gabrielle was quick to realize that leaving without a guide may not have been the best idea. Was she supposed to turn left at the corridor with the lavender flowers? Or was she supposed to turn right at the corridor with the renaissance era paintings? Biting her lip in contemplation, Gabrielle gazed down the darkened corridor. The hallways were bare; hardly a soul in sight, but it was to be expected of this time of night...
 
What time was it again?
 
If it had been just nightfall when Emeris came to retrieve her...And a few hours had passed since then... It must have been at least two in the morning, if not later. Exactly why did Gabrielle believe that the world of the Order was going to be awake and lively at this time? Who was to say that the Abbot was going to be awake at this time to hear her acceptance of residency within the Order?
 
If Gabrielle was not to utterly lost in the maze-like layout of the hallways and corridors, she would turn back around. But at this point she was even unaware of which way she had come from, and she soon found herself flopping down onto a nearby bench.
 
“Gah, can't this place have a map posted somewhere?!” The red head exclaimed to herself, her gaze dropping to the stone floor beneath her feet.
 
“It's one of the many defences of the Order. Only those who belong here know their way around.” The voice was sudden, breaking the silence of the halls. Gabrielle's head immediately shot up, her body gone stiff from the shock of the sudden company.
 
A mop of dirty blonde locks, a disarming smile, it was Jean. The prince-like character Gabrielle had met in Emeris's room. It had been mildly entertaining to meet him, especially with how Emeris reacted to his presence. But now, it was a comfort.
 
“Jean! You won't believe how glad I am so see you!” Gabrielle rushed to her feet, a small smile on her face. Compared to Emeris, any company that didn't scowl at her constantly was a blessing.
 
“I can only imagine your relief, Miss Gabrielle. How long have you been wondering these halls? And why didn't that fool Emeris accompany you?” Jean's gaze moved from her to the long stretch of hallways, as if mentioning the bitter boy's name would cause him to appear.
 
“Oh, I'm sure it hasn't been that long...” Though she couldn't help the feeling that she should of been able to reach her destination and return by now. “I left before Emeris could follow me.”
 
“Ah, a wise choice, though I would at least asked for his copy of the map before doing such a thing.” Jean couldn't seem to repress his laughter, though he looked impressed at Gabrielle's foolish choice. It nearly confused her until she remembered the tension between the two...Then again, that same tension seemed to be between everyone and the bitter brunette.
 
“I was just thinking along the same thing...But, I'm actually on my way to see the Abbot...Or at least trying to...” At the mention of Abbot, Jean's subtle smile erupted into a cheerful grin...And infectious one at that, as Gabrielle soon found herself smiling along with him.
 
“Oh really? I do hope you have looked past the...Questionable company you have had to endure, and see that the Order really can provide you with all you need...As well as a better range of people who you will, no doubt, easily befriend.”
 
“I'm not entirely sure about the befriending bit...But I've decided that the Order is probably my best option...Though I doubt the Abbot would even be awake at this hour for me to tell him the good news...” Gabrielle bit her lip sheepishly. She had to remember, she was on a different schedule than most of the people in the world now, and she couldn't act like it was noon or something.
 
However, the questioning look on Jean's gentle face made Gabrielle rethink her statement, wondering if she had erred at some point.
 
“Oh! You still think we run on Normy time!” Enlightenment washed over the boy's face, just before another laugh escaped him, this one much more hearty. “ Oh Miss Gabrielle, the Order does not run on a normal nine to five schedule as the world you once knew did...But, allow me to continue this conversation as I escort you to the office.” Gabrielle nearly grabbed for the boy's hand before he even offered it to her, relieved that finally she would no longer be lost and alone in a labyrinth of halls. It was a desperate move that was mildly embarrassing, but Jean only seemed to smile at the girl in response, as if he had already anticipated her desperation.
 
“You see, being a force that tries to enforce the rules that apply to every mythical, story-book creature you can imagine, from demons to vampires like yourself, it's very seldom that they choose to be day walkers. In fact, night has become the unofficial domain of most of the world that has been hidden from you until this point. Cliché I know, but the average Normy is useless at night, what without any form of night vision, and chooses to relate anything out of the ordinary to fiction. They blame everything on bumps in the nights and the boogeyman, while we try to protect them and the peace too many have died for!” At this point, Jean had become too wrapped up in his own words, to prideful of the cause, and he nearly missed a critical turn in their route.
 
Despite the fact he nearly got them lost, it was more than a relief to be in company of someone who spoke proudly of the Order. Though Gabrielle found herself debating whether or not she liked it because it sounded pretty and righteous, not that it was accurate. But by the time Gabrielle had gotten around to questioning that, Jean had recovered from his spurt of pride, giving her another dazzling smile.
 
“I apologize about that. So anyway, because of the varying schedules of the beings, ours vary as well. There's a day staff and a night staff, but many of us get by on very little sleep, but you'll learn that as you get used to this place...Here we go.” And once again, Gabrielle found herself in the familiar gothic room, as intimidating as ever.
 
Surely she needed to get over this by now; this place was going to be her home from now on. Gabrielle didn't have the time to be fearful of the unknown, or whether or not she was making the right decision. Nevertheless, starring at the ominous grand door left Gabrielle with a feeling of anxiety and fear in her chest. Doubt ran through her mind, and Gabrielle found herself debating her morals and reasoning.
 
A gentle squeeze of her hand reminded her of the presence next to her. There was Jean, with yet another dazzling smile; at least he seemed sincerely happy with her choice. At who knew, maybe she could find friendship in these walls. With another reassuring squeeze of her hand, Jean gently pushed her to the door, his eyes never moving from hers as she nervously forced herself up to the door. Hand trembling, she prepared to knock firmly on the door. However, just as she raised her hand, a voice interrupted her.
 
"Yes young Gabrielle, what is it?"
 
Gabrielle shot Jean a nervous glance, relieved at the fact his reassuring smile was still blatant on his features, and then opened the door slowly, slipping in with a slight curtsy. Thankfully, being raised amongst royalty and aristocrats had given her enough skills to know how to respect one's superior. Though she only used the niceties when she found them fitting, not just because they demanded it of her.
 
Inside, the abbot still sat at his desk, though this time he was scribbling onto several pieces of parchment.
 
"I Hope I'm not disturbing you...But I've made my decision..."

For a moment, she reconsidered the decision in her mind, running over the mental list of pros and cons. Pros easily outweighed the cons. Besides, she was only just getting by now. Existing solely to seek vengeance on the fiend; whatever they did to her afterwards would not affect her. Gulping gently, she knew she had to force the words out.
"I've decided to join..."
 
Gabrielle and kept her guard on high, as if once she uttered the word the earth would crack open and send her into the deepest pits of hell. However, she was soothed by the smile that spread across the abbot's face, and found herself smiling as well.
 
"Oh wonderful Miss Gabrielle, I do certainly hope you enjoy the results of this decision. The Order shall now be your home until you choose otherwise."
The abbot's smile became wry, "Though I am curious, why is Emeris not with you? Unless I am mistaken he was supposed to be teaching you at the moment."
 
"Oh he was, I did choose to come here by myself...It was only fair after I ended up sending him across the room..." She could not repress the soft laughter that escaped her, shaking her body before stopping suddenly. Maybe she should not of been telling the Abbot of her powers just yet...Though...If this was to be her home, she could not just hide things from them.
 
Once again, the Abbot surprised her by keeping his smile intact. She had to remember, she wasn't an oddity here, and as a matter of fact she may be considered dull and normal compared to the others.
 
"That boy... he's going to get himself killed one of these days. But he is quite knowledgeable about the academics. I shall set about getting you a combat trainer as soon as I can, until then though, your nights will have to be spent with Emeris." The abbot nodded slightly, "He will be able to show you how things work in the world you have been thrust into."
 
“Joyous...”
 
“Step forward, Child.”
 
Oh, here it was. This would be the time now where the main protagonist finally put their truth in the bad guys, falls into their trap, and becomes doomed throughout the rest of the story until some loser prince swoops in and saves her from a certain death...Or...Whatever a Vampire could suffer from.
 
Bracing for the worst, Gabrielle bit her lip and took a few tentative steps towards the Abbot, who at that point had moved around his wide desk to meet up with her in front of the ornate piece. The Abbot only seemed to smile at the fearful girl, holding out his hand to grasp her own.
 
“This won't hurt a bit, just be calm.”
 
They had her now. Time for the maniacal laughter, the bars to appear on the windows, the shackles to appear on her wrists. Now she would regret ever following that damned boy in the forest.
 
But alas, there was no laughter, no bars on the windows, no shackles. There was, however, a dull burning sensation on her jugular. Before Gabrielle could react to the feeling, it slowly faded, and the Abbot only smiled in response.
 
“The fiend was certainly not kind to your neck. I apologize sincerely for the pain and troubles you have endured, though I do not apologize that the road led you to us. You will become a great asset to us Gabrielle, as we will to you. Now I must ask you kindly to return to your studies, as I must return to my work.” With a firm shake of her hand, the Abbot returned calmly to his paperwork, leaving Gabrielle to curtsy while awkwardly rubbing her neck.
 
“Thank you Abbot...For everything...” Before Gabrielle could imagine another worst case scenario, she ducked out of the office, and leaned heavily on the outside of the door.
 
“God that was painful.”
 
“So was waiting for you, I was worried that you might have had doubts about joining!” Jean seemed to leap off his spot on the bench, reaching her side in a matter of micro seconds before reclaiming her hand in his. “Ah, I see you've been marked already. You're officially one of us now Gabrielle!”
 
Marked?
 
Say what?
 
“What do you mean...When was I marked?” Gabrielle blinked in confusion, which was mirrored by Jean, his eyes locking onto her. She quickly followed his gaze to her neck, and grasped at the spot where it had burned only moments before. Exactly what had the Abbot done to her?
 
“Allow me to show you.” Jean's confused expression turned to friendly as he gently tugged at Gabrielle's hand, which caused her to numbly move along with him. Out in the hallway before the Abbot's office, there was a series of mirrors, in which Jean wasted no time in moving Gabrielle in front of.
 
Gabrielle always wanted a tattoo, but this was not what she had in mind.
 
Imprinted upon her skin, was an intricate design of swirls and waves, much like a tribal tattoo. It was a simple black design, sprawled across the skin on her neck, covering the hideous bite marks that had once stood out there. Stretching from just below her chin to her collar bone, it might as well of been a big neon sign on her forehead.
 
“What...Why...”
 
“Don't worry Gabrielle, if you ever choose to leave us that mark will fade away. It's a symbol of your allegiance to the Order...More so a warning to others that if any harm ever befalls on you, they will have hell to pay.” Jean explained as he stood behind Gabrielle, pulling up on the sleeve of his shirt. Glancing down, she saw a like-wise tattoo on Jean's forearm, though the design was more jagged, almost like fragmented pieces of glass. “We all have them. All different, all unique to us. Though I have to admit yours is the most beautiful I've seen in a long time...”
 
Gabrielle's cheeks flushed a light crimson, and she forced herself to pull away from Jean and put some space between them. Leaning closer to the mirror, Gabrielle traced along the intricate swirls once more, allowing herself to fascinated with the design once more before forcing herself to make eye contact with Jean.
 
“I suppose...Now that my business here is done I should probably head back to Emeris before he blows a gasket...” Gabrielle tried to be sincere about her statement, but she knew the moment she uttered the boy's name that her face betrayed her. Based on Jean's questioning stare, he wasn't buying it for a minute.
 
“Gabrielle...Why don't we take a detour on your way back? Show you what life will be like for you once your suffering with Emeris is over and done with?” It was an attractive offer that was for sure. But with a short-tempered Emeris as her teacher, could she really afford to play hooky? She was just barely a member of the order, and now she was going to bend the rules, and defy orders from the Abbot himself?
 
...Why not?
 
“Sure Jean, make my day...Er...Night.”