Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ In My Heart and In My Mind ❯ Chapter 10

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
In My Heart and In My Mind
By Kathryn K. Williams 2006

Chapter Ten

Samantha’s night was plagued with many dreams, most of which she forgot before her eyes opened the next day, however one lingered as she lay still in her bed, trying hard to shake the feeling from her mind. In the dream she had been all-alone in a dark room, she searched the tall black walls for a door or window, but found none. After a time she settled into the corner of the room with the realization that she would never see any of her friends or family again. The loneliness rooted deep within her chest and made it hard to breathe and before long she curled up in a ball wishing for the ground to open up beneath her and swallow her up. Anything would be better then the emptiness that filled her heart and mind. As she woke up she could feel the grip of loneliness squeezing tightly around her heart, forcing tiny tears out of her eyes to drop upon the pillow under her head.

The door opened and she turned in her bed to watch as a nurse entered the room and smiled at her, “Good to see you’re awake. Would you like some breakfast?” She asked as she wheeled a cart into the room.

Samantha nodded as she wiped the remainder of her tears away. The sight of the trays of food made her stomach rumble loud enough to be heard by the nurse and Sam shrank under her blankets in embarrassment.

The nurse only laughed, “It’s good to see you have your appetite.” She stated with a broad smile as she set a tray upon a swivelling table arm next to her bed and pushed it in front of the girl, lowering the table until it was the correct height for the child, “You’re a very popular girl did you know? You have a group of friends awaiting to see you.”

Samantha flushed, “Really?” She recalled Star’s promise to visit first thing in the morning and excitement washed some of the loneliness away, “Are they allowed to visit me?” She inquired, curiously lifting the lid off her tray to find a plate of scrambled eggs and a plastic cup of orange juice.

The nurse glanced at her watch to see it was fifteen to ten, “Well, visiting hours are not supposed to start until ten, but I think we can bend the rules a little this once, I heard it was your birthday today after all. Happy Birthday.”

Samantha simply nodded as she fiddled with the hem of the blanket.

“So how old are you today then?” The nurse inquired as she fixed Sam’s pillows so she could sit up straight while eating.

“Sixteen.” She answered shyly.

“You are practically an adult then.” She pulled a sheet of paper out from off the side of the food tray and handed it to Sam, “Then I guess you are old enough to choose what you want for lunch and dinner later. Just check off the boxes next to the meals and leave it on your tray after you are done eating alright?”

Samantha took the paper and skimmed it while nodding, “A… alright.”

The nurse swung the cart of trays around and started out the door, “I’ll tell your friends that you are awake and awaiting their arrival.”

“Th.. thank you…” Sam stammered, she did not think she could be more excited to see her friends in her life. She began to wonder who came to visit her when her mind came to Trisha’s long face from the night before and she felt a lump rise up in her throat. She still did not know what she was going to say to the girl and worry began to weave its way through her mind.

((Sam?)) Star’s voice cut through her worries and made her smile.

((Star?!? You are still there.)) Part of her expected to wake up and find that everything was just a dream, a produce of her concussion.

((Yep, I’m in the hospital right now, but don’t know what room you’re in.)) She explained sheepishly, ((I tried to asked at the front desk, but suddenly realized that I did not know your last name either so have been sitting down here waiting for you to wake up.))

Samantha blushed, ((Have you been waiting long?)) She inquired uneasily.

Star shook her head, ((Maybe a half an hour or so, but no worries.))

((I… I’m sorry…)) Samantha felt flustered at the idea of a girl waiting a half an hour for her, a girl that she had not actually met in person for that matter.

((What room are you in?)) Star inquired curiously.

Sam glanced around the room and suddenly realized that she was not sure where she was in the hospital when her eyes fell on the paper that the nurse had just handed her. Upon the top, typed in large numbers, was her room number, ((I’m in 403)) She read off.

((Alright. I’m on the elevator right now so I’ll see you in a few.) She explained excitedly.

((All… alright…)) Sam felt herself becoming more nervous with every passing minute. She fidgeted in her bed as she reached up to fix her hair, only to be reminded that her head was in bandages. She stared down at her hospital gown and longed to have some real clothes to wear, but there was little she could do about her appearance at that moment and this only made her anxiety become all the worse.

((Will you calm down.)) Star said with a small giggle, ((I can feel you squirming about in my head and it tickles.))

Sam froze in place, she had forgotten that they were linked emotionally as well as with their thoughts, ((I… I can’t help it… We have never met before and I look like a mess.)) She explained.

((I’m sure you look fine.)) Star insisted, ((The elevator has stopped. I’ll tell you in person how you look in a few.))

Samantha bit at the inside of her lips and she prepared for her visitor. She noticed the door to her room began to move and felt herself hold her breath. She has never been so nervous in her life and she felt the anxiety was going to kill her. The door finally opened fully and she was surprised as Lisa bounced into the room.

“SAM!!!” Lisa rushed across the room and flung her arms around the girl’s neck, giving her a tight hug, but quickly backed up, “I’m sorry, did I hurt you?” She stared at the bandaged on Sam’s head, “What happened to you?”

“I… I’m fine…” Sam stammered in disbelief, “What are you doing here?” She inquired, peering around the girl to see where Star had got to, only to find Trish and Elizabeth standing in the doorway, with Trisha’s mother standing close beside them, “Trish? Beth?!? How… wha?” She blinked from one girl to another in stunned bewilderment.

“Your mother called us to tell us your birthday party was called off.” Lisa bubbled, “Happy Birthday, by the way.” She exclaimed happily and continued talking, “I called up Trish to find out what was the deal and she told me you were in the hospital so I decided to come see you to discover that Trish and Beth decided to do the same.” She explained in a single breath and turned to the group waiting at the door, “While I expected to find Trish here I was surprised to find out that Beth came with Trish and her mom.”

Sam was equally surprised, “Beth came with Trish?” She inquired in confusion.

“She sort of appeared at my place this morning.” Trish explained simply, giving Sam an awkward smile. Sam could feel the apprehensiveness coming off of Trish like waves; she got a feeling that the girl wanted to run over to her side but was distancing herself for the time being.

Beth took a tentative step forward and gave Sam a small smile, “Good morning Samantha and Happy birthday.” She said with an intense amount of nervousness and Sam could sense that the girl was struggling to keep her own emotions at bay. Sam had always thought that Beth was completely in control of her emotional state and yet as she watched the girl she could feel the anxiety that surrounded the girl’s every being.

“Thanks.” Sam rubbed at the sides of her head as she tried to keep her own emotions under control as she became bombarded by her friends’ emotions at the same time. Meanwhile she worried internally about where Star could have gone.

****

Star rushed down the fourth floor hall to the door marked 403 and pushed on the door. To her surprise the door was locked tight and the lights inside were dark. She glanced up and down the hall in confusing. Sam did say 403 didn’t she?

((S… Sam?)) She nervously called out to the girl inside of her mind.

((Star? Where are you?)) She asked with a smile upon her voice.

The happiness in Sam’s tone made Star smile slightly, ((I’m glad to hear you are doing better.))

((I’m not sure if better is the right word.)) Sam stated uneasily, ((I can feel the emotions from people around me, but only the negative ones and it isn’t making things easy, but having my friends here helps.))

((Focus on me and you should be all right. Just remember others emotions can’t hurt you.)) She explained. ((Now I seem to be lost. Are you sure your room is 403?))

((What room am I in?)) Star heard Sam ask someone inside of head.

((403)) An unfamiliar voice replied.

((403)) Sam repeated to Star, ((Why? Where are you?))

Star stared at the number on the door in confusion. They stood there in deep black numbers reading 403 and it felt to Star as if they were mocking her. Something was wrong and she felt it deep inside of her heart. Suddenly a hand fell upon her shoulder and Star jumped, startled by the presence of someone next to her. When she looked up she found a young nurse watching her.

“Are you alright Miss?” The nurse asked, “Are you lost?” She said in a vaguely familiar voice that Star could not quite place.

Star glanced up at the door and back to the nurse, “Was a girl staying here not long ago?”

The nurse blinked in confusion, “The last patient that stayed in that room was an elderly man. Who is it you are looking for, maybe I can help you find them?”

“Her name is Samantha…” She became aware that she still did not know Sam’s last name and froze, ((Sam, what is your last name?))

((McClellan, why?)) Sam answered curiously.

“McClellan.” Star repeated to the nurse.

The nurse started at the girl in confusion, “McClellan…?”

****

“Sam, are you alright?” Trish asked, taking a few cautious steps into the room, watching the strange mix of emotions that shifted over her friends face, “Sam?” It was as if her friend was suddenly not aware of her presence and was now in another world. She began to reach out to touch Sam when Beth stopped her and shook her head. Something in the girl’s eyes told her that maybe following Beth’s lead was the right idea, however Lisa had other plans.

“Sam!! What is wrong!?!” Lisa took her friend by the shoulders and shook her.

Trish leapt at Lisa, “Lisa stop it!” She explained as she pulled the girl away.

Sam abruptly snapped out of her daze and stared at the girls around her, “I… I’m sorry…” She wiped at her face nervously, her eyes darting around the room as if thinking deeply about something, “I… I…” again she became lost in her thoughts, leaving her friends to just watch her sitting in her bed.

****

((Star? Star what is wrong?))

((I’m an idiot is what is wrong.)) She explained dismally, ((I should have known, things were too good to be real. I forgot to think with my head and not my heart, I’m such an idiot.))

((What happened?)) Sam inquired worried, even more anxious about the idea of not seeing her friend. ((Aren’t you coming?))

((I can’t come.)) Star replied miserably, ((I’m sorry I got your hopes up, but I shouldn’t have come here in the first place.))

((Why not?)) Sam asked, unsettled by this new turn of events, ((I was really looking forward to seeing you.))

Star let out a sigh, ((So was I… but it can’t happen…))

((Why not?)) Sam pleaded, ((I don’t understand.))

((What date is it?)) Star suddenly asked.

((The Date? What does that have to do with anything?))

((Just tell me. What date is it right now?)) She repeated.

((Sept 18th, Why?))

((The year?))

((95’, what is going on?))

Star took another deep breath, ((I should have known.))

((What is wrong?))

((Sam… I’m exactly one year in the future. That is why I can’t see you.)) She explained with as much calm as she could muster. ((You are not in the hospital in my time. That is why I can’t see you; I don’t even know where you are right now.))

Sam shook her head in dismay, ((H… how could something like this happen? It’s impossible.))

((So is the idea that two girls could have their every thoughts linked when they are miles apart.)) Star stated. She was keeping her voice as steady as she could, but Sam could feel that Star was as upset about this situation as she was, ((Listen… Enjoy your birthday… and your friends… I… I have to go…))

((Where are you going?)) Sam asked, feeling that same loneliness from her dream seep its way back into her chest, ((You can’t just leave me. We are linked together after all aren’t we?))

Star nodded, ((Probably forever, but right now I need a moment so don’t be surprised if you don’t hear me reply for a bit. I’m still here I just need to think.))

((A… Alright… You sure you are not leaving me?)) Sam inquired, hearing the heart-break in her own voice, but with the memory of that nightmare still fresh in her mind the idea of losing Star seemed to be becoming a strong reality with every passing second.

((I’d never leave a psychic friend.) Star stated with a weak smile, ((They are hard to come by and I have no plans to lose you now that I have you.))

Sam let out a sigh of relief, ((I hope to hear from you soon.))

((I’ll get back to you when my head is a little clearer.)) Star promised, ((Spend some time with your friend and try telling your girl how you feel about her.))

Sam flushed lightly, ((She is not my “Girl”.))

((Well she could be if you give it half a chance.)) Star suggested, ((If you need me you know where to find me.))

((Take care…))

*****

Sam wiped at the tears the built up around her eyes and looked around to find her friends intently watching her. She had forgotten that they were even there and felt ashamed of herself for ignoring them, “I… I’m sorry…” She rubbed at the back of her neck in embarrassment and gave them a nervous smile.

Trish finally let go of Lisa and stepped up to the side of Sam’s bed and set a hand upon the bed, “A… are you alright?” She asked, worry laced heavily over her face.

Sam thought for a moment then nodded, “I’ll be aright… I think…” The corner of her mouth twitched a couple of times and she bit at her bottom lip, “I… I’m sorry I ran off on you last night.” She apologized, trying to change the subject.

Trish flushed and tried to hold back her own tears, “I’m just glad you are alright. I was so worried about you all night.”

Sam nervously glanced down at Trish’s hand and pondered placing her hand atop the girl’s then decided against it, “I’m sorry I worried you.”

Lisa interrupted the two, “What happened to you anyway?” She inquired, curiously eyeing the girl’s bandages, “Did they replace your skull with a metal plate or something?” She asked, as she moved in closer, trying to peek under the bandages.

Sam ducked out of the way of Lisa’s prying stares, “No.” She thought for a moment and touched her head, “I don’t think they did.”

“It was nothing that serious.” A voice stated from behind Trish’s mother. Sam glanced up to see the social worker standing in the door. The woman turned to Trish’s mom and extended her hand, “Hi, my name is Linda Polaski, I work for social services.” She introduced and Trish’s mother took the woman’s hand in turn, “What is your relationship with Samantha?”

Sam felt herself tense up at the sight of Trish’s mother talking to this woman and without being aware of it she moved her hand upon Trish’s. She only became aware of this action when she felt Trish squeeze her hand in return and she glanced over at the girl to see her smiling back at her.

“Well, I’m Trisha’s mother, Diana Sallion.” Trish’s mother answered, “Trisha has been friends with Samantha for oh… about ten or eleven years now. Can I ask what this is all about?” She inquired with concerned curiosity.

“How well do you think you know Samantha?” The woman asked, opening her folder and glancing over some papers before her.

Diana glanced from the social worker to Sam and she gave the girl a warm smile and a nod, as if she understood the tension that the woman was causing her, “She is like a second daughter to me actually.” She gestured to the door, “Maybe we should talk about this outside?” She suggested.

The social worker suddenly became aware of the many eyes upon them and gave a nervous smile, “A… alright…” She quickly slipped out of the room closely beside Diana and they closed the door behind them.

“What was that about?” Lisa asked leerily, “Why would a social worker be snooping around here?

Sam let out a deep breath that she did not realize she had been holding; “My mom hit me with a vase.” She stated dismally.

“She what?!?” Trish exclaimed, she had seen Sam come to school with the occasional bruise on the face, but she never expected her mother to try to kill her.

Sam rubbed the back of her neck, “My dad was still home when I got home and they were arguing again. When I opened the door dad was standing there and mom threw a vase at him, but he ducked and I got hit instead.”

Trish sucked in a breath between her teeth, “Geez…” She lightly touched the girl’s bandages, “Does it hurt?”

Sam shrugged, “Only a little. The strangest thing was that my Meephit warned me just before I was hit, but it was a little too late.”

Lisa blinked in confusion, “You got a Meephit? When?”

Sam suddenly regretted mentioning the toy and gave Trish an apologetic half smile then turned to Lisa, “Trish got it for me after school.”

“Can I see it?” Lisa asked excitedly.

Sam searched the folds of her blanket until she found the toad and handed it to Lisa, “Here you are.” As she passed the creature over to her friend she noticed Beth move around to the other side of the bed, her eyes never leaving the toy.

“I’m sorry I did not give you a better warning.” Beth apologized as she finally tore her eyes from the Meephit, “I knew something was going to happen, but…”

Sam smiled at the girl, “It’s alright. You tried and that is all that matter, sorry I didn’t take your warning more seriously.” She rubbed the uninjured side of her head, “I guess I’ve learned my lesson.” She said with a small chuckle. However Beth was not listening, she was staring into Sam’s eyes with such intensity that it made Sam shrink back into her pillows, “Is… is there something wrong Beth?” Sam inquired worriedly.

“You have two souls.” Beth stated in a low whisper.

Sam became startled by this accusation and leaned in closer to Beth, “What do you mean? C… can you see her?” She whispered softly.

“See who?” Trish inquired, leaning in close to hear what the two girls were talking about.

Beth straightened up and crossed her arms, “She is showing through strongly, mostly in your eyes.”

Lisa glanced from one girl to another, “What are you all talking about?” She asked curiously, wanting to be let in on the secret.

Sam wanted to ask Beth more questions when the door suddenly opened and Trish’s mother entered the room, closing the door behind her, and then approached the girls.

“Is everything alright mom?” Trish eagerly asked.

She set her hand upon her daughter’s shoulder and looked at Sam, “That all depends on Sam.”

Sam was confused by this answer, “By me? What about me?”

“Well…” She hesitated for a moment before speaking, “It would appear a lot has happened over night and your mother has decided to divorce your father.”

Sam rolled her eyes; “She has been saying she would do that for years. She only recently kicked him out.” She explained with a sigh.

Diana nodded sympathetically and continued; “In response your father told the social worker about your mother abusing you and your sister, so for the time being they want the two of you to stay with your aunt.”

Sam’s eyes grew huge at this prospect, “My aunt? She lives way outside of town.” She exclaimed frantically, tears forming in the corners of her eyes, “I’d have to leave my school and won’t be able to see anyone every again.”

Diana put up her hands in defence, “I realized this and talked with the social worker and…” She quickly glanced from Trish and back to Sam, “They are willing to allow you to live with us for a bit if you like. Social Services wants to look into your case further, but since you are sixteen you legally can choose where you want to live so….”

Sam felt her jaw drop at what Diana was suggesting and gazed over at Trish, “Me… stay with you?” She inquired dumbfounded by the notion of living with her best friend

Trish licked at her lips nervously, “Is this for real?” She asked, hoping that her mother was not playing some cruel joke on her.

Diana nodded, “We can set up the spare room, Trisha’s old room, for you and you are welcome to stay as long as you want.”

The tears finally broke free of their cell and Sam nodded frantically, “Y… yes… T… thank you.” She reached out to Diana like a child in search of their mother and the woman took the girl in her arms and held her tightly. Sam buried her face in the woman’s chest and sobbed, this was ending up to be the best Birthday in her life.

*****

To be Continued . . .

*****

Note: Characters and ideas in this story are a copyright of Kathryn K Williams.

If you wish to view art from this series please visit my deviant arts site at: http://shinigami-shimai.deviantart.com/

For more of my stories visit my deviant hearts site at: http://www.devianthearts.com/viewuser.php?uid=159

Also if you spot any typos or other errors please contact me at katwilliams @ rogers.com