Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ In My Heart and In My Mind ❯ Chapter 17

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
In My Heart and In My Mind
By Kathryn K. Williams 2006

Chapter Seventeen

After school Trish met up with Beth at her locker.

“You ready to go?” Trish asked the girl as she approached.

Beth stuffed a couple of books inside of her pack, “One second.” She zipped up the small black backpack with its white spider web embroidering, and threw it over her shoulder, “Let us be on our way then.”

“I have my bike, do you have a bike or do you want to double?” Trish inquired, pointing a thumb over her shoulder at the doors out of the school.

“Double?” Beth gave the girl a curious look, “Do you have a back seat?”

Trish shook her head, “Nope,” She grinned mischievously, “You’ll have to either sit on the front bar or stand on the back.” She stated as she turned towards the school exits.

Beth nervously followed, “Are you sure it is safe?”

Trish gave the girl another broad grin, “Sure it is. Sam and I do it all the time.” They reached the bike rack and unlocked her bike, “So what is it? Back or front?” She asked gesturing to the bike.

Beth glanced down at her short frilly black dress and at the back tire, “I don’t think I can stand on the back.”

Trish hopped on the seat and patted the front bar between the seat and the handlebars, “Then you’ll have to ride side-saddle.” She stated with a smile.

Beth glared at the girl, “You are enjoying this too much you know that?” She stated as she positioned herself next to the bike and prepared to hop onto the bar.

“Sorry.” Trish apologized half-heartedly; her eyes moving to the girl’s tight shirt with the heart shaped hole near the neckline that showed the girl’s cleavage and swallowed hard, “It’s just not every day you see someone like you riding doubles with someone like me.” She admitted shyly, moving her eyes from the shirt to the girl’s painted face.

Beth glanced up at the girl, “‘Someone like me’?” She inquired curiously, “A goth?” She said with a hint of hostility.

Trish shook her head quickly, “No…” Trish tried to think of the words that described what she thought of the girl, “You are more like a dark princess and I’m just white trash.” She said sheepishly as she pulled on her black t-shirt and gestured to her worn jeans, “I’m not exactly a prize catch now am I?”

Beth shook her head in disapproval, “You need to live in a trailer park to have that label.” She remarked with a smile, “And I think you are a rather nice catch myself.” She said with a nod that caused Trish to fluster.

“White suburban hell is close enough to a trailer park.” Trish stated in distaste, “I can’t believe you want to visit my place again after seeing it the first time.”

“It was not that bad.” Beth said as she wrapped an arm around Trish’s neck and hopped up on the bike, the long sleeves of her throw brushing the back of Trish’s neck causing her to shiver, “Is this making you feel like a prince or something?” She asked with a smile, which told Trish that the girl was well aware that her touch was affecting her and she let out a deep breath.

“Sort of.” Trish said with a shrug, trying to cover the fact that her heart was racing being so close to the girl, “Hold on.” She pushed on the pedals and they started to move across the schoolyard and over a small curb, which caused Beth to cling onto Trish even tighter.

Trish laughed and Beth looked up at the girl, “You are enjoying this, aren’t you?” She said stressing the ‘are’.

“Hold on tight.” Trish stated and pushed down hard on the pedals and they raced along the street, Beth clinging onto Trish with all her might.

******

Sam spent the day lying in her bed, longing to be rid of the feelings that weighed her down. She hated feeling down like this and wanted to go to school with her friends, but could not will herself to leave the room. The hours crept by and before long she heard a knocking at the door and sat up to greet the person.

“Come in.” She called out to her visitor.

Trish opened the door and entered, “Hey Sam. How you doing today?” She inquired.

Sam shrugged, “The same as yesterday I guess.” She shyly swept something from the blankets, “Thanks for staying with me overnight.”

Trish waved a hand at the girl, “No problem, what are friends for. Speaking of friends I brought someone to see you.”

Sam glanced at her pyjama clad body and back up at Trish, “Who?” She pulled the blankets over herself.

“It’s just Beth.” Trish stated simply, “I ask her about that second soul she saw in your eyes and she asked to see you.”

Sam stood to her feet and rushed over to Trish, “You told her? How much did you tell?” She asked urgently.

Trish raised her hands in defence, “Nothing much. I just told her about the fact that the girl is dead and you saw the murder. She said she might be able to help.” Trish insisted.

Sam sat heavily upon the bed, “I hope this doesn’t get out to the whole school.” Sam muttered to herself.

Trish sat next to the girl and wrapped an arm around her, “I don’t think Beth will tell anyone. She was more worried about how we would take her being a psychic then anything else. You can trust her.”

Sam looked at the girl suspiciously, “You’ve sure changed your opinion of her.” She said with a small smile, “I thought you didn’t like Beth?” She asked cynically.

Trish shrugged, “She’s alright, I guess.” She said as she got up from the bed and tried to cover the blush that covered her face, “At least she knows a lot more about this stuff then I do. Maybe she can really help.”

Sam got to her feet and studied her friends eyes, a smile broadening across her face, “You sure there isn’t something else? Did you just bring her here to see me?”

“Yes,” Trish said with a quick nod, “I was hoping that she would be able to help you and maybe have some answers to this mystery.”

Sam let out a disappointed sigh, “Alright… let her in.” She said as she sat back down upon the bed.

Trish hugged the girl and started towards the door, “Beth? You can come in now.”

Beth entered the room and glanced around, “Wow, I have never seen so many stuffed animals.” She breathed, her eyes scanning the room in amazement.

Sam nervously smiled, “Trish rescued them from my old room.”

Beth continued to look around the room, “How are you doing in your new home?” She curiously asked.

Sam shrugged, “It’s alright. It’s a lot better then my old home that’s for sure. I’ve wanted to live here for as long as I can remember.” Sam admitted with a flush.

Trish equally flushed then retreated towards the door, “I’m going to find some chairs to sit on.” And without waiting for a reply she disappeared out the door.

Beth turned to face Sam and leaned with her hands upon the dresser, “So how are you really doing?” She inquired seriously, her eyes studying the girl closely.

Sam was taken back by the look upon the girls face, “A… alright… I guess…” She stammered and shuffled in her seat.

Beth let out a sigh, “I can sense your emotions so don’t pretend around me.” She insisted, “We are alike and I know it can be painful at times. I still remember how hard it was when my powers started to evolve on me. You do not need to fear me. I am here to help.”

Sam shrugged, “I don’t know what to say. It feels like my heart has been ripped out of my chest and the pain won’t leave me alone.”

Beth pushed off the dresser and looked into Sam’s eyes, “You were falling for her, weren’t you?” She inquired softly.

Sam backed up on the bed and her eyes darted around the room, “I… I… I don’t know…” She nervously said, wishing for some kind of escape.

Beth pointed at the mark above Sam’s eye, “Your link was much more then a simple coincidence and you know it, don’t you.” Beth stated bluntly, “If it was just anyone who you saw die it would not have scarred you like that. Only someone who touched your soul could leave a mark like that. Since you did not have time to talk long you either fell in love very quickly or she was your soulmate.”

“My… my… soulmate…” Sam lightly touched her chest, feeling the rift that was left behind when Star left her, “Is that possible? Do soulmates really exist?”

Beth nodded firmly, “I believe they do and that you stumbled across yours. The question is what are you going to do about it?”

Tears appeared in Sam’s eyes and wiped at them with the back of her hand, “I… I… don’t know… she is gone… I don’t even know where she is.”

Beth knelt in front of Sam and pulled her hands away from her eyes, “Trish said she was from the future.” Beth said, “One possible future.”

Sam blinked at the girl as she thought this over, “Y… you think I can find her again?”

“That is why I’m here.” Beth explained with a smile, “I will help you find her. I know we will find her.”

Sam sobbed and wrapped her arms around Beth’s neck, “Thank you…” She wailed, feeling a great relief at the thought of someone else wanting to help, someone who believes that she could find Star again.

“A…are you alright Sam?” Trish nervously inquired as she entered the room; two fold up chairs in her hands.

Sam broke free from the hug with Beth and rubbed at her eyes, nodding as she did, “Beth thinks we can find Star again.” She said between breaths.

Beth stared at the girl in shock, “Did you say her name was Star?” She inquired curiously.

Sam nodded, picking up a Kleenex from a box at the side of her bed and blowing her nose, then tossing it in a bucket by the bed, that was overflowing with crumpled Kleenex, “She said her name was Star and that she moved out here a short while ago and that her birthday is the same as mine.”

Beth stood to her feet, still staring at Sam in disbelief, “She is returning to Whetshones?” She muttered to herself and giggled nervously.

Trish set the chairs down and approached Beth, “Do you know the girl? Who is she?” She asked curiously.

Beth shook her head, “It cannot be possible, but it has to be.” She said more to herself as she became lost in her thoughts.

Sam quickly got to her feet and rushed over the Beth, placing both of her hands upon the girl’s shoulders, “Who is she? I have to know?” She pleaded, “If you know where she is then you have to tell me, please. I beg you.”

Beth backed away from the girl, slightly startled by her enthusiasm, “I might be wrong, but I think the girl you met is my cousin, I had to leave on your birthday because I was visiting her for her birthday.” She said uneasily, “What did she look like?”

Sam flopped down heavily upon the bed on her back, “She has the most beautiful long black hair and extremely white skin, even whiter then yours, and these incredibly blue eyes.” She said with a sigh, not noticing the hurt look in Trish’s eyes as she described Star, to busy thinking to herself about other details about the girl, “Now that I think about it she mentioned having a cousin who was a goth.” She sitting up to glanced a Beth, “Do you have a photo of her?” She insisted.

Beth shook her head, “Not on me, however there are a few at my place.”

Sam suddenly jumped to her feet again, “Can we go there? I have to make sure it is her.” She pleaded

Beth shrugged, “I guess you can visit. My mom is away on business so it will be alright.”

Sam rushed to her dresser and started pulling out a t-shirt, “I’ll get dressed right away.” She glanced from one girl to the other, “Could you two leave for a moment.” She shyly requested.

Trish frowned, “But you used to change in front of me all the time.” She protested.

Sam flushed, “Please.” She guiltily pleaded of her friend.

Beth turned Trish around, “Come on. You can see her nude later in life.” She stated as she pushed the girl towards the door.

Trish blushed brightly, “That’s not what I wanted.” She glanced at Sam, blushing even brighter, “Alright… I get it…” She said as she turned and reluctantly left the room.

Beth closed the door and glared at Trish, “You know you are going to have to give her some privacy now, don’t you?” She inquired seriously.

Trish sighed as she stared at Sam’s bedroom door, “I should have expected things to change. I’m just going to miss the days that we were carefree.” She started down the hall and down the stairs, into her living room.

“You do realize what will happen if she finds Star, don’t you?” Beth inquired worriedly.

Trish stopped in the middle of the room and lowered her head; “I’ll do anything as long as it… it… makes Sam happy.” Beth circled around the girl to see her vainly wiping at tears. She reached up to touch Trish upon the shoulder only to have the girl shrink away, “Don’t… I don’t need your sympathy.” She stated miserably.

“Come here you stubborn girl.” Beth insisted, pulling the girl into her arms, allowing Trish to fight her hug until she finally gave in and allowed herself to be held, “I know it hurts.” Beth said softly into the girl’s ear while stroking the back of her head, “It feels like someone tore out your heart and ground it into the floor. But you knew long ago that this might happen didn’t you?”

Trish nodded unhappily, “But it hurts more losing her to another girl.” Trish admitted through the tears, “I prepared for her being straight, but this is different and it hurts so much and now no one will ever love me.”

Beth shook her head, “No… that is not true.” She said with a sigh, cradling the girl’s head upon her shoulder, “You are cute and smart and sweet and kind. I know that someone will love you. You just have to know where to look. When you least expect it you’ll find the one you love.”

Trish stepped back from Beth and gazed into the girl’s eyes only to have the girl avoid her gaze, “Beth? Did you really join our group because of Sam?” She asked doubtfully.

Beth gave the girl a half smile, “Partly…” She admitted shyly, closing her eyes and shaking her head, “Nevermind.” She let go of the girl and stepped away.

Trish swallowed hard as her eyes moved over the girl’s features. She spent so much time rejecting the girl just because of her strange appearance that she never took a chance to really look at her until then. Under that white make up and silver piercing she could see a lovely girl who was trying so hard to hide from the world. Trish felt so guilty for not seeing the girl for who she was before, a beautiful girl in need of love.

Trish rubbed the back of her neck in embarrassment, “I… I’m sorry I treated you badly before.” She shyly apologized, “I… I…”

Beth simply smiled, “You were jealous and thought I was going to take Samantha away from you.”

Trish rubbed the back of her neck, “Yeah… I guess…”

Beth stepped closer to the girl and whispered into her ear, “I was never interested in Samantha.” She said and then brushed passed the girl on her way towards the stairs.

Trish spun around, her words caught upon her lips, when she saw Sam come down the stairs, “S… Sam…?”

“I’m ready to go.” Sam confidently.

*****

To be Continued . . .

*****

Note: Characters and ideas in this story are a copyright of Kathryn K Williams.

If you wish to view art from this series please visit my deviant arts site at: http://shinigami-shimai.deviantart.com/

For more of my stories visit my deviant hearts site at: http://www.devianthearts.com/viewuser.php?uid=159

Also if you spot any typos or other errors please contact me at katwilliams @ rogers.com