Romance Fan Fiction / Other Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Robot Battlefield ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Robot Battlefield
 
Disclaimer: Most of these characters are mine, but occasionally, I may throw in characters from well-known anime titles.
 
This was a big day, a big day indeed. This was the moment a young boy named Neil Dunsmore was going to prove himself to the world. He had enlisted in the Galactic Defense Squadron to protect the lives of many.
 
He had shiny red hair and a sported a black T-shirt. He also wore a pair of jean-shorts and black wristbands.
 
Now, he felt quite lucky today. It was a miracle he had been accepted in the city's top defense unit. He would have failed if it hadn't been for the fact that not a whole lot of people had signed up this year.
 
See, the Galactic Defense Squadron had strict policies, and they could only accept 50 newcomers every year. If there were more, then they would be put through tests to see which ones were acceptable. Neil really lucked out, for he was exactly the 50th one to apply and no one had tried out after him.
 
Now we take you to another of the newcomers, one who only joined the army to prove her strength. Yes, this soldier was a young girl named Yumi. She had beautiful and long orange hair and a thin build and wore typical female attire, not really what you'd expect from a female soldier. Her fashion sense consisted of a rather fancy top and an insanely expensive skirt. Yes, her family was rich.
 
But despite being 17 years of age, she was timid and tended to act childish. She had never really grown out of being a crybaby, as some would say.
 
So what is this kind of person doing in the army? Well, she had grown tired of people calling her a crybaby and figured that if she joined the army, she would earn some respect from the masses, and if she was lucky, she wouldn't die. She had even trained herself very hard to act serious and never back down from a challenge, and this was a huge accomplishment mainly because she actually pulled it off.
 
Let's ignore her for she will be more important later.
 
Neil was almost at the base. He wiped the sweat off his forehead, not believing that he was almost late. See, all soldiers had to be in the base by noon or the doors would close for another year. See, soldiers were not allowed outside the base. It was like a boarding school. Once you enter the doors, you cannot leave. In fact, the manager made it a rule that no soldier would be kicked out no matter how disruptive or inexperienced.
 
Neil was very fortunate to enter at exactly 11:59 in the morning. One more minute and he would be screwed.
 
You're probably wondering why he's in the army. Well, truth be told, he didn't want to due to danger of it all, but his parents made him do it because he pretty much failed at every other job he had attempted, and he had tried lots.
 
He breathed a sigh of relief and ran through the hallway to the place where all soldiers had to meet for their assigned pairs. Oh yes, pairs were mandatory here in the city's top defense squadron and was a top priority. All soldiers had to work in teams consisting of one boy and one girl.
 
As Neil sprinted toward the hall, he ended up running into someone who seemed to be headed in the wrong direction. He and the person fell down, him on top of the stranger. He supported himself up with his hands and moaned, “Ugh… sorry about that…”
 
Then he noticed something odd. This person was a young girl and her face was going red. Now, it wasn't so much the fact that it was a girl that surprised him as it was her blushing. As soon as he saw this, he moved his eyes down her body and noticed his hands right against her chest, and we all know what's on a woman's chest.
 
Not sure how to react, spellbound by this realization in fact, he made the situation worse by squeezing them. He didn't even know why he'd done it. It was like his body made him.
 
Well, he didn't want to come across as any worse for this was already awkward, so he quickly got off of her and shouted, “SORRY!!!”
 
The girl got up and looked at him with tears forming in her eyes. She bit her lip, not sure how to react. She didn't believe for a minute that he was sorry mainly due to the shock of what he had just done.
 
Then she broke out into heavier tears and started to cry as she ran far away from him and into the girl's bathroom. She sulked there and let small droplets fall to the floor from her eyes.
 
`I don't ever want to go near him again,' was all she thought.
 
But this was quite a predicament. She had to stay in the army. It was in the contract and there was no reversing it. She decided to suck it up. Maybe she wouldn't run into him again.
 
Neil had arrived a few moments early for the assigning meeting, which he felt was really lucky. Now, this was not going to be random assigning either. The pairs had already been chosen the month every soldier had been registered.
 
Now, while this army only took 50 a year, it had been a high-class operation for 10 years, so there were more than 400. There would have been 500 but some didn't return from their vacations, but all in all, many had stuck around for more. This type of warfare was exciting to most people, for they didn't fight with guns or weapons. They used mechs. (And now the title makes sense)
 
Neil and the young girl from before noticed each other in the assigning hall and the girl immediately turned her back to him and walked to another area. Neil felt terrible now.
 
`She must despise me,' Neil thought, `Well, I'd probably better apologize.'
 
It was at this moment that the manager, a young woman by the name of Felicia appeared. She had purple hair in a long ponytail that went down to her legs and a very noticeably large rack. (No offense to women out there. I just felt it was necessary to point this out) She wore a revealing red top with long sleeves and a pair of shiny pants.
 
She gazed upon the crowd of people and started off with the names without any introductory speech or anything.
 
“Jonouchi will be paired up with Anzu,” she said as a young blond with a green top and a chestnut-haired girl with a blue top and black shorts slammed their arms together. These two had been great friends for years, so it was great that they were together.
 
(And yes, I mean Jonouchi and Anzu from Yu-Gi-Oh)
 
“Next up are Lance and Luna,” the woman continued, and as the list went on, Neil ran towards the young girl he had violated earlier to apologize to her.
 
But just as he got close, he tripped over another soldier's exposed leg and ended up grasping onto the young girl's backside causing both to fall over.
 
The girl looked back and blushed for Neil's hand was once again in an awkward spot. He had somehow ended up lifting up her skirt just enough to see her panties.
 
She got up and tried to get away as Neil grabbed her arm only for his hand to be slapped away.
 
“Listen, I just wanted to…” Neil started as the girl snapped, “I DON'T WANNA HEAR IT!!!”
 
“Oh, Neil and Yumi,” Felicia stated, “I'm glad you two are talking to each other because you two are the last pair on my list.”
 
At that exact moment, the young girl, better known as Yumi, was crushed. She felt as if her heart and spirit had been ripped in two. There was no way, absolutely no way she was going to work with some perverted boy who had groped her and looked up her skirt in a mere half hour.
 
She was on the verge of tears as Neil sighed and wanted to assure her she was safe, but as he tried to explain things to her, she turned tail and fled from the area at the speed of light. She didn't want to be near him right now.
 
Felicia had one of her employees walk over to the boy and handed him a note. It explained how he and Yumi had to share a room together in order to develop a bond and he was given instructions to give her the other note.
 
Neil searched frantically around the base until he finally found the young girl huddling in a corner. She saw him approaching and shouted, “GO AWAY!!!”
 
Neil groaned. This was going to be more painful than he'd first thought. He just silently gave her the note he had been given. Yumi didn't know whether she should open it or not, especially if it was from him. But her mother had taught her never to turn down something that was given to her.
 
She opened it up and her eyes widened when she read the words. Neil sighed expecting her to start sobbing again, but she just looked up at him and said, “Okay, I'll try to deal with you as a partner, but don't come near my bed, okay?”
 
Neil saw no harm in this, so he just agreed to it. Besides, Neil would never intentionally violate a girl, but Yumi didn't know that.
 
Upon entering their room, they were rather delighted with the setup. There was plenty of space for two and it even had its own boys and girls personal washrooms in it. But there was only one problem… it had one bed, one mere bed, hardly big enough to fit two people on it.
 
Neil and Yumi just stared at this and sighed with disappointment. Yumi was quite surprised that Neil agreed with her on this, but she thought nothing of it. For all she knew, it could have been an act.
 
Well, it would be scary, but she was going to have to deal with it. Neil thought this would only lead to more drama.
 
After unpacking all of their personal belongings and setting up an arrangement for how things would work, they were to report to the main docking bay where they would get to the best part of their introduction to the army: Learning how to operate the mechs.
 
Felicia was there to greet all the armies. While Yumi had avoided making contact with the others due to her shyness, Neil managed to quickly make friends with Jonouchi and Anzu. Both were friendly, even if Jonouchi looked like an anti-social street punk.
 
“So, what's wrong with your partner?” Jonouchi asked as Neil sighed, “She's just… shy… yeah…”
 
`How can I explain why she doesn't trust me?' Neil thought, `They might think as little of me as she does, and I'm lucky to have even made friends here on the first day.'
 
And so, after the pleasantries, Felicia explained the concept of the mechs.
 
“This is the mecha that both partners will operate,” she explained, “Newcomers will wanna listen while past soldiers can sleep through this.”
 
“Thank you!” Jonouchi replied as he fell asleep, but Anzu nudged him awake and said, “This is our first year, you moron.”
 
“Now,” Felicia started, “Each partner uses one half of the mech. Boys go on the bottom half and girls go on the top. The girls operate the mech's weaponry, hand movements, and you can turn the robot's head to get a view of enemies approaching behind you.”
 
Yumi felt like this had to be a mistake. But she was ready for this.
 
“The boys operate the mech's feet,” Felicia added, “This includes kicking, but it's mostly so the mech can run at an opponent.”
 
“Is there more?” Neil asked as Felicia replied, “No, that's it.”
 
“But this hardly seems fair,” Neil replied, “What if Yumi doesn't know how to use the weaponry? I mean, I get so little functions while she has to figure out a shitload a buttons.”
 
Yumi had to admit, she admired the fact that Neil had brought this up. It was true. Yumi had no idea how to operate a mech and the feet would have at least been easy to figure out.
 
“Them's the ropes, kid,” Felicia said, “Don't worry, the buttons are labeled, so it won't be too hard.”
 
And at this point, the teams had to enter their mechs for their first day of training. Yumi climbed into cockpit at the top of it while Neil simply walked into the mid-section.
 
He noticed something odd right off the bat. The top portion had an opening under Yumi's chair. He figured it was there so they could hear each other give commands.
 
But what this also did was expose something. Since Neil was looking directly at Yumi from under her, he could see up her skirt for the chair had a large gap in it and could only support the sides of her bottom. He shook his head, focusing on his control panel thinking, `You've done enough today, Neil!'
 
And so, the mechs were released for the first day of training.