Romance Fan Fiction ❯ And with the rain comes ❯ And with the Rain comes.... ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]


And with the Rain comes…
 
 
PAIN. Its four o'clock by the time I can finally untangle myself from the mess of covers I've buried myself in. The phone is in my hand, and nothing is said, not for a long while. She's breathing heavily into the receiver. I don't know what she's more upset about, what I just said, or that her dress no longer fits.
“I'm sorry Abigail.” I whisper. I don't mean it. She knows that and ignores it either way.
“Are you feeling better now?” Abigail says coldly. I shake my head as if I were standing with her. “Yeah. I'm fine now.” No I'm not. I hate her. I hate him. I hate them both, together like this. I'm sad, angry, hurt and confused. I am far from `fine'.
“Well, I would love it if you came to the rehearsal dinner tonight Rachel. I'm so nervous and I need my best friend there!” she perks up. She is the epitome of evil.
“yeah.” I whisper. She says her goodbye and hangs up; I roll over and do the same. And as a tear trickles down my cheek all I can ask myself is why—how could she do this to me. She's known, she's always known. I can only blame myself. I was too coy. Too indifferent, too something. I have no one to blame but myself. I should be happy for them. But it's hard to stand up before their friends and family and wish them all the happiness in the world when all you want is for the groom to realize he's just as madly in love with you as you are with him. I throw the covers off and go get ready, whether I want to or not. Just because she was a terrible, traitorous, back stabbing friend to me doesn't mean I can't be a good friend to her.
 
I feel like I'm going to a funeral in my little black dress, clutching an umbrella in one hand and a bottle of champagne. I make my way to her house slowly but surely, I get there. I smile weakly at my brother in law and long time friend Marcus. He's smoking, as usual. The rain seems to glisten off his ebony skin from the dim porch light.
“Took you long enough to get here. I was beginning to get bored” He winked at me. I rolled my eyes and walked inside.
“Rachel!” Abigail squeals. I close my eyes and clench my teeth; no longer sure I can do this. I turn around and try to smile. But it flickers and fades like a candle caught by the wind. He's next to her. For some reason I hadn't planned on him being here. My heart leapt into my throat. She hugs me tightly.
“I bought champagne.” I wave the bottle. He gives me a sad smirk and takes it from me. Our fingers brush and my hearts pounding. I'm a school girl. Abigail takes hold of my arm and we follow him into the kitchen as he puts my gift on ice. She goes to talk to someone else. I'm staring at him and he's staring back. We talk, we're laughing, and it feels right. So right. But his eyes. Those beautiful hazel eyes look sad. No words are said. Our eyes locked in that last conversation. All these things left unsaid. Abigail's hand glides across his face, caressing his cheek. She guides him into a kiss and I turn my head. My hand goes to my stomach as if trying to settle it. I walk out of the kitchen quickly, grabbing a glass of champagne on my way out. I ignore her defiant cries and toss back the fizzy drink. It's going to be a long night.
 
I'm done! I've had it! Every where I turned, they were together! I was over surrounded. A girl can only take so much. I was running, pass Marcus and the by standers who knew nothing of the brides wickedness. Into the night with nothing but the cold embrace of the rain waiting for me. I shouldn't run. It's my fault remember? He's happy. I'm happy. But why? Why does it hurt so much? I love him more than she ever could! I fall. My heel broke. I don't want to get up. I'm sobbing now, so hard my shoulders are shaking. Over the pounding of the rain in my ears I hear footsteps. No. Just leave me alone to suffer in peace. I struggle to get to my feet. Like this I am a shadow of myself, hallow. I stumble. My head rests against something soft yet hard at the same time. My ears feeling with the a heart beat. Two strong hands grasp my arms. Anyone, anyone but you. I chuckle in spite of myself.
“Sorry, I didn't mean to worry you. I-I just need to be alone right now. I say sadly. His warm but damp hands gently cradle my face. His thumbs wiping away my tears as he made me look into those eyes of his. Those golden god-like eyes of his. That worn smile on his handsome face. He told me….he whispered goodbye...that he can't stay. He pulls me into the long awaited embrace “I love you…and only you.” He whispered as he kissed me passionately. The first kiss. The first of many experiences that night.
 
MARRIAGE. We would live happily ever after just like in the fairy tales. Reality hits. No matter how much I think it's possible, you can't live off of love. He would always leave early and come home late. I never got to spend anytime with him. So…I got angry. I accused him of having an affair over and over again. Only two months into the marriage and we were fighting already. It got a little better, then a lot worse after I found out I was pregnant. One day, 4 months later, I came home from work like I normally would. He said he would be off so I thought it would be nice if I were to surprise him at home. And as I opened the door to our bedroom, I saw him with another woman, In our bed, in our home. It felt as though my heart was breaking. I fell to my knees clenching my stomach. It hurt. It hurt so much. That evening I found out I had lost our child, due to the shock I had a miscarriage. He stayed with me. He tired to tell me he was sorry, but I didn't care, I didn't want to hear it. He became a drunkard, trying to drown away his guilt in a bottle of liquor. I was ashamed to call him my husband. And at times he would take it out on me.
 
Sorrow. Once upon a year gone by, on a not so very special day, it was raining. I came home from work. The lights were out, and candles lit the room dimly. The table was set for two with lilies, my favorite. A golden heart-shaped locket hung around the vase with his picture inside. A card lay on the table that read `Happy anniversary from your beloved husband. I'm finally going to end this. I know you will be much happier this way. Come outside. I would like to see your beautiful face before my final farewell. I'm leaving you'. I smiled to myself. I tried not to cry but…I couldn't stop. After all, he was the one man that had truly loved. I looked to the sliding glass windows and I saw him leaning on the rail by the ledge of the building, waiting for me. I ran outside. “What are you doing?” I yelled over the wind and the rain. He glanced back at me with those eyes of his, those golden god-like eyes of his and smiled the saddest smile I had ever seen on his beautiful face. His white clothes were now almost transparent and his blonde hair plastered to his wet face. Just like that time. He walked over to me and pulled me into his embrace. I tried to pull away but he wouldn't let me go. The tears had come again as I wrapped my arms around him. “Please don't go.” I whispered. He told me….he whispered goodbye...that he can't stay. “I love you…and only you.” He whispered as he kissed me for what I was sure to be the last time. My mind didn't want to comprehend what he was telling me. Why was he saying goodbye. He always said that goodbye was forever. He let me go and hopped the rail to the ledge. I screamed his name and reached for his hand. But like always…it was just out of my reach. He turned back to me and smiled. “Be happy.” He said as he leapt to his death.