Romance Fan Fiction ❯ And with the rain comes ❯ Empty ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

EMPTY
 
 
I couldn't take it anymore; I felt so shallow…so empty it was irritating almost. I wasn't numb because of the cold but numb because the lack of emotion, there was just nothing. And you simply sitting, drinking your blackberry tea, staring so blankly at the snowflakes falling from the gray sky, just outside the overbearing window that had the long, black, velvet drapes you spent a fortune on. This… this would have annoyed me, but not tonight, it did nothing of the sort. I simply sat with you; sipping my tea quietly and watching the flames dance amongst ashen logs, casting the long shadows of our chairs along the wall behind us. I twitched my hand a bit and almost immediately you turned.
“What's wrong?” you asked almost sounding interested in the fact that my hands were soar from typing all day.
“Nothing” I said, trying to sound chipper, but it eluded my voice and seemed to escape me just as quickly. You went back to sipping your tea; just as loudly and just as blankly you stared out that damned window of yours. I grew bored of this and longed for the lonesome of my room. So I stood to do so. I couldn't steady the trembling jolts surging through my hand and eventually dropped my cup, shattering glass all over the wood floor of you precious library. You however barely lifted an eyebrow.
 
On bended knee I carelessly gathered the jagged shards, but one escaped my grasp, taking its revenge by pricking my palm and still…I felt nothing. No pain… no tickle…absolutely nothing.
“Are you alright?” you asked, coming to, I presume, inspect the damage I'd inflicted upon your floor.
“Fine.” I said dully.
“Here…let me help.” You said taking the shards from my hand and putting them into the wastebasket.
“Are you sure you're alright? You were surprisingly quiet today.” You smirked
“…So” I hissed
“It's just normally you try to start a conversation.”
“ Why do you care? It's not like you enjoy them.”
“ Actually…never mind…goodnight.” You said leaving me to clean up the rest of my mess. He's teasing me again that's all. Damn him and his mind games! I thought. We used to be so in love… but I don't know what happened. I suppose fate pulled us in different directions. I stayed where I was and you grew farther away. So far that I can no longer reach for your hand like I used to when I was afraid. You moved up in the business world leaving me behind when you work those long hours. I shook my head as I headed up the spiral staircase, mad because I knew you would not follow. I slept uneasily that night. Not knowing what to do anymore. Our love had been lost. When I awoke you had left as usual without a word. I began to type as usual. A knock at the door made me jump. How I longed for it to be you but sadly it was only my editor, John.
“Have you got anything new for me?” John smiled. I nodded solemnly. I gave him the manuscript to the plot. He viewed it for a short time and smirked. “You are a remarkable woman you know that Lin. I envy your husband.” John placed his hand atop of mine. “What husband?” I snorted turning away from him.
“Trouble in paradise?”
“John…do you love me?” I placed my hand on his face.
“I…yes.”
Help me remember.”
“What?”
“What it's like to be loved…please.” I placed my head on his chest
“But…your husband.” John wrapped his arms around me.
“What husband?” I felt a tear come down my cheek. John pressed a kiss against my lips I felt my knees become weak as I let my emotion take over. He was gentle, sweet, and loving. For the first time in a long time I felt emotion. The love that I so desperately wanted from you but could never get no matter how much I asked. You forced me into the arms of another man. I wanted you to hurt the way I did. John kissed me goodbye before he left. I smiled as I watched him leave. You came home late that night. But I waited for you.
“How was your day?” you smiled.
“Fine.” I said blankly.
I um… I bought you something.” You reached into a bag at your side. You handed me a small black box. I open it slowly. It was a ring.
“Is this a pathetic attempt to make up for the years you've ignored me?” I hissed.
“What?” you stepped back almost surprised.
I slept with John. He showed me more kindness than you've ever done.”
“But…WHY?” you yelled.
I wanted to remember what it was like to be loved. I should let you know…I'm leaving you.” I looked down to the floor. You clenched your heart and leaned against the wall.
“ I…I always loved you…so much that I couldn't put it in words.”
I need more than words. You never proved your love to me and for that I am sorry. I loved you too. I just showed it more.”