Romance Fan Fiction ❯ How Did I Fall For A Gang Kid? ❯ Honey, I'm Home ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Anya's POV
 
This is where I lived. The slums. If the Grafitti didn't give away what a screwed up downtown West side was, the many Latino Blood tags everywhere definitely did.
 
It hurts to tell people I live here, but it's true. My mom wanted to move in with all of her family, but I guess no one told her that all her cousins hadn't made it as well in the world as she had. So now were stuck surrounded by beaten down houses and gang members. Just perfect.
 
But if there were to be the worst part of this side of town, it'd be here. In the heart of the city, Marcus' warehouse, the meeting place for the Latino Blood gang.
 
Marcus was my mom's best friend from when they were just kids. They'd grown up together till they both turned 18 and he went on to take over his dad's “Business” and she went off to get a degree in Community College.
 
When we moved here, she and I both made it very clear that I would not be joining their gang and yet Marcus and I stayed close for the first couple years. After all, he was my mom's best friend at one point. And now he's almost like the father I never got to have. Like my father before he never wanted me.
 
Anyways, parking my - which was really Diana's - RX-7 next to an old-looking gas station covered in graffiti, I could already see people watching me closely, not sure what this rich girl was doing here.
 
But that was the least of my worries. My real problem was going to be getting in to see Marcus with his guards watching my every move. I doubt they'd believe my, “Your boss is expecting me” story.
 
“Hey chica, I suggest you get out of here,” one of the 20+ year old guards told me, his hand reaching to cover his gun holster. As if he was trying to scare me. Ha! If he thinks his little toy gun scares me, he's got another thing coming.
 
“Ya, ya, no need to read me the script. I'm here to see Marcus.”
 
He, not to sneakily, glances at his partner, questioning my authority probably. “Marcus doesn't have time for kids,” the other one says. “Come by later chica.”
 
“I wasn't asking permission to see him. I'm telling you to take me to him. Now.”
 
“You're not in any position to be making orders kid. Now get lost.”
 
“Let her in,” came the voice of the man I came to see. Marcus leaned on the wall, his black suit perfectly tailored to fit him. “This chica has every right to come inside. Remember that Jorge.”
 
I smiled at him before running over to crush Marcus in a hug. When I pulled back I noticed that his smile looked overly forced and his eyes were bloodshot, as if he'd been worrying or hadn't slept lately. Or both.
 
“What's wrong?”
 
“I'll tell you when we get inside. For now…” He turned to the second man. “Watch her car. Make sure nothing happens to it.”
 
“Yes sir.”
 
With that said we walked in and started winding through many halls. “I hope that car I'm having my men watch wasn't stolen.”
 
“Of course not. I'm only borrowing it.” He chuckled thinking I was lying. “Really though? It's my friend Diana's. She said I could borrow it.”
 
“You have made some very good friends then.”
 
“Yep. Di's awesome.” We passed by one hallway before turning towards a large door, obviously the door leading to his office, hence the two guards watching from outside it.
 
As we walked in, I saw three guys standing in his office waiting for us. Of course they weren't anyone I would ever want to see. It was Dominique, Alejandro, and Luis.
 
“What is she doing here?” they all three asked Marcus.
 
“Please sit down Anne,” was all Marcus explained.
 
As I took my seat, Marcus turned to the boys to get their attention. “Alex, Luis, Dom, sit down as well. I have much to explain but first I must speak with Anya.”
 
“What's wrong Marcus?”
 
He sighed and after a long pause said, “Look, I'm not good at these talks so I'm just gonna come out and say it: your dad is here.”
 
I could have laughed. My dad being here? Ya right. He's probably off married to some perfect angel rich girl that doesn't want kids either. That way he doesn't ever have to go through having another stupid kid to deal with. That's the way he would want it.
 
“Oh. Was that the big news? Couldn't you have just told me that over the phone?”
 
“You're not wondering why he's here?”
 
“Well of course I am. But if he doesn't want to deal with me, then why should I worry about what he's doing?”
 
Marcus looked shocked. “Doesn't want…what did your mother say happened to your father?”
 
“She…” I racked my brain to remember exactly what she said. “She said he left when I was 3. He couldn't handle being a father and had to get away. Why?”
 
Again he seemed to be deep in thought. “And did she what his occupation was?”
 
“Ya. Worked for some big corporation. But I don't see what exactly this has to do with anything.” I couldn't help continuing to glance at the three boys who were both as confused as me - possibly more confused - and wondering why they were here.
 
“Big corporation. Well I guess that's true.” He laughed. “Your father…your father wasn't what you thought he was. He wasn't what your mother said he was. He was a Latino Blood.”
 
What?!?! Watching the three boys shocked expressions out of the corner of my eye, I explained, “My dad hated gangs. That's the one thing my mom made sure I knew so I wouldn't ever join. He hated gangs and would never join one. Ever.”
 
“Look. Irene, she…she didn't tell you the whole truth. There's more to it than that.”
 
“You see, your father had planned to join us before he met your mother. He lived in this neighborhood and as such, everyone expected him to join. But…when he met your mom in school, he chose to leave this neighborhood and brotherhood. He wanted to have a family with you and Irene.”
 
“But my father, the leader of LB at the time, wouldn't allow him to leave. When you were three, my father met with your father and forced him at gunpoint to return. Your father agreed only as long as you were kept in the dark and away from gang violence.”
 
“What?!?!?”
 
“Just, let me finish. 5 years ago, your mother didn't move here because of family relations. She came because my father died. I was elected to leader as his replacement and she hoped to find your father again with my permission.”
 
“But by the time she came to me, your father was already…changed. He no longer wanted to leave the LB. He continued his work for our family and he's…in trouble now.”
 
“What kind of trouble?”
 
“He'd been working a deal - a…drug deal.” He waited, gauging my reaction. I kept my face emotionless. “Our rivals caught him. They're keeping him - we don't know where - but we know that if he isn't found by next Saturday, he'll never be found.”
 
Marcus turned to the annoyances that were watching wide-eyed. “Which is where you boys come in. I need you to find him. Normally when a man is taken, he's gone, but Orlando is a special case. He's a friend of mine, meaning I want you three to find him. Dom, you're one of our best fighters and Luis, I know you've got the computer smarts to find some trail of him.”
 
“Sure boss,” Dominique said.
 
“So why am I here then?” I asked suddenly, drawing their attention back to me. “I'm not in this gang. I mean it's nice to know the truth, but couldn't you have just told me that. Why exactly have me here?”
 
“Well…aren't you going to help?” Luis asked. “Don't you want to find him?”
 
“No. Why would I? So he can leave me again? I don't think so. No, I'm gonna let the gang children take care of it. But it was nice seeing you again Marcus.”
 
I went to get up, but Marcus asked, “You're not worried?”
 
I turned to look him in the eye. “He may be my dad, but he's gotten through 15 years without my help so if he's in trouble…let him be. He's your problem.”
 
And I walked out.