Romance Fan Fiction ❯ How Did I Fall For A Gang Kid? ❯ Lunches and Questions ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

World History and Pre-Calculus passed by in a blur and with the amount of homework I had, I was definitely ready for study hall. I also could not wait for next period (Lunch!) where I would see Diana again and could tell her everything Reymar told me.
 
That just meant I had to get through this period. I didn't think that'd be too hard until…
 
“Mendoza!” Enrique Alvarez yelled from across the room to me. I looked over to see if the teacher, Mr. Barnes, would do anything to quiet him, but of course the man's hearing aide was too low he didn't even notice.
 
Although the terrifying bear-snores that came from his mouth probably helped to dull the noises around him.
 
“Is it true your dad's gone L.B.?” He screeched, causing everyone to watch us. Enrique was a S.S.L. A South Side Loco. There basically the enemy's of the Latino Blood and have been for who knows how long.
 
If I'd have to guess, they're crew are the ones who have Orlando Mendoza (aka dad).
 
I attempted to ignore the slimy pest, but he wanted an answer, and he planned to get one. He came up to the table I was sitting at, where the girls that were sitting before had for some strange reason left. “I was asking you a question Mamacita.”
 
He got closer to my face so his grotesque breath fell into my face. “I asked if your dad's a Latino Blood.”
 
“I heard you the first time. It's called I was ignoring you.”
 
“Well here's an idea, Mendoza,” he told me, moving an inch closer so our faces we almost touching. “Don't. Ignore. Me.” With every word, he breathed more onto me.
 
“Ugh. Please, if you're going to be that close, get a ticktack or something. I'm dying here.”
 
I heard laughter near me and turned to see the Latino Blood group cracking up.
 
“Ya Alvarez, It's fuchi and the chica don't like it,” one, a girl this time, said.
 
With one look at me, he mutters, “Te agringá totalmente,” and stalks off.
 
One of the LB's yells after him, “El comal le dijo a la olla.”
 
I shake my head, attempting to go back to reading, but of course now one of the stupid gang decides to come sit with me. “That was chingón girl,” the woman with the fuchi word says.
 
“I have no idea what that means.” Even if I did. I knew Spanglish and even some Spanish but I wasn't about to tell them that.
 
Chingón means awesome hun. How can you live your whole life not knowing Español?”
 
“Easy. I attempt to ignore those who speak it.”
 
“Sad…by the way, my name's Adelina. In case you were wondering.”
 
“I wasn't.”
 
She looked about ready to retort so I cut her off, “Look. Just because my stupid dad's besties with all of you does not make me a part of your little gang circle. Stop trying to be my friend. Like the motto you live by, `West-siders don't mix with gringas'. Now if you don't mind I'm busy.”
 
“You don't have to be a gringa you know.” She tried to make herself look worried over me but after years of experience, I knew better than to fall for the pity act.
 
“It's better than being a criminal like you. I like being a gringa so leave me be. ¿Comprendes?”
 
“Ya,” she said walking away. “Comprendo.”
 
After that fiasco I finally managed to get to Lunch. The Cafeteria is possibly the most stereotypical place in the entire school. It is very easy to see who everyone is by where they sit. The preppy East-siders sit together in their too short skirts and white blouses, sitting in different groupings depending on their rank.
 
The West-siders split into another two, the Latino Bloods with their red bandanas everywhere, and the South Side Locos in their black ones. All those who didn't fall into any of the three categories sat outside, away from the drama.
 
The only ones who messed with that grouping were me and Diana, although Di still ranked high in the East side. We sat with a few of her friends - preps that don't mind goths or halfies - almost smack dab in the middle of the cafeteria.
 
Which of course was where Diana was waving her arm to get my attention, causing the entire cafeteria to look at her.
 
“Annie!!! Maria got pizza, screw the lunch line.” Laughing at the look the lunch ladies gave her, I agreed and went to sit with her and the `Posse' as I call them.
 
“My Trusted Steed, you have arrived!” she squealed causing everyone but me to look at her weird.
 
I played along. “Great and powerful master, there was no way I could ever leave you in wait.”
 
We laughed and sat down, grabbing a slice of pizza from the big box Maria Williams brought. Maria is a Posse girl with her blonde hair and striking green eyes. She's nice enough but it's pretty obvious that she's only here for her friend Kendall, whose Diana's second best friend.
 
“Ron what have you cooked up this time,” Kendall asked, referring to our greetings. I always laugh at the nickname they gave each other: Ken and Ron - as in Diana's last name Ronalds.
 
“What? Anya is my Trusted Steed. Although.” She turned to look at me as I got another slice of pizza. “It's too long of a name. From now on I shall call you…Samuel. Ya, Samuel sounds like a name for God's horse.”
 
We all laughed, before I remembered my talk with Reymar. “Di, come here.”
 
She scooted closer and Kendall, on cue, started talking loudly about cheerleading to get all the girls listening. I explained to her everything Reymar had told me and then everything that happened in Study Hall last period.
 
“First off, Reymar is weeeeird. Second: you are SUCH a Bitch girl!”
 
“What? No I'm not.”
 
“Samuel, you just completely thrashed a girl you didn't even know because she was trying to be nice.”
 
“Di, if she wanted to be nice to me, she would've done it my first day of school here. Not the day she finds out my fathers in her posse.”
 
“Well…I guess that's true.”
 
“Don't worry, it is true. Which is why I want nothing to do with either gangs.”
 
She was silent for a moment, taking it all in, before she yelled, “Oh my god! Sam, you've got to gangs pining after you!!”
 
“Hush up,” I told her, looking around as everyone watched us, obviously having heard what she said. “
 
After they went back to their meals, she continued. “Girl, you're like, in the middle of a gang war. You're the prize to win, and both sides now want you.”
 
“Greeeat. Just what I wanted for my senior year. A crime battle started over me!”
 
I leaned my head back, till my neck was bent and I could see everyone behind me. From an upside down position I saw Dominique staring at me intently.
 
Not liking his eyes on me, I flipped him off, causing him to look away.
 
=========================================================
 
Te agringá totalmente = You are totally white
El comal le dijo a la olla = Almost like saying, “The pot calling the kettle black”