Romance Fan Fiction ❯ Keep in Touch ❯ Two People ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Authors Notes: You should be able to figure out the meaning of the title of this story after this chapter with some difficulty, if not don’t worry you will eventually. New character introductions and finally some visual descriptions. Enjoy!


“Two People”


Not much can be said about the events that happened between me waking up in the hospital bed and everything else before that, mostly because I wasn’t conscious to experience them. Though peculiarly enough, I do remember flailing my hand around at some point when someone tried to take something out of it. That person got there just disserves apparently though cause there was an immediate thwack sound followed by a yelp.

“Urgh… Did anyone catch the license plate of that bus,” is what I wanted to say when I woke up but my throat would not cooperate.

I awoke to find my right leg in a cast and my right arm in a sling. It’s not all that surprising considering the minivan battered me on that side. The morning sun was glistening through the hospital room windows beside me. Needless to say it was an extravagant orange.

“AHHH! What the hell!?” I blurted mentally as I turned my head to the left and almost fell off the other side of the bed.

The woman who I saved was sitting there in a hospital chair with long black silky hair and gray wide-open eyes, void yet beautifully glittering with orange sparkles from the sunlight through the windows. She was no longer wearing the clothes from the event yesterday. She must have gone home and came back or something. Her new attire consisted of a black T-shirt and dark blue jeans, seemed kind of tomboyish. To put it bluntly, on a scale of one to ten, she’s a oh my god why would you rate someone that beautiful on a scale of only one through ten.

“Jeez that was weird, didn’t even notice her there a moment ago. Well then again she is blind. Maybe she don’t even know that I’m awake. I wonder…”

My left hand took the initiative and proceeded to her left cheek slowly. There was no reaction. I stopped my hand a few inches from her face, still no reaction. I uncurled my index finger and started moving it towards her cheek but at the same time her mouth started to open. Perplexed I moved the finger back and at the same time it started to close. Moving it forward again led to her mouth opening once more.

“Whoa… This is too weird... Maybe she’s dreaming about eating something?” At least that’s what I tried telling myself.

Well my curiosity ended up getting the best of me. This time I decided to press forward with my finger but I didn’t get far.

“Look, you better hope that’s a finger you’re about to poke me with cause I know you wouldn’t like to lose your other appendage.”

Her outburst damn near gave me a heart attack and almost sent me off the other side of the bed as I pulled my hand away at lightning speed.

“Holy crap she’s awake! Damn, man that was scary, how did she even know what I was doing? Isn’t she blind?!”

“If you think someone who grows up blind wouldn’t learn to compensate for better perception through the other senses while growing up… Think again.”

“AND SHE’S A MIND READER!?” I yelled inside my head.

A few moments of silence passed after that. It made me wonder if she knew about my problem. There are only 3 doctors in this small town and only one hospital. It was a sure thing that the doctor who took care of me was all so the doctor who dealt with my vocal cord tumor while growing up. Our family never had enough money to pay for the surgery to remove it but even if we did there was a chance I could end up losing my voice completely still with the surgery. With the tumor still there, there are periods I can talk with a hoarse voice and periods I can’t talk at all. The cold here constricts the cords causing more pressure on the tumor, which is why I wear a scarf during the winter. If I use my voice during the winter rashly, I can potentially seriously injure my vocal cords.

The doctor came into the room after the bitter silence along with one of my college friends, the troublesome one out of the two. James has muddy brown kind of long cut straight hair that hangs all over his head sometimes getting in the way of his eyes. It’s pretty much the same haircut I got now that I’m thinking about it, only mine is black. Lemur just looks like the average old guy in a white coat doctor with glasses imposing his intellect. Either way, this was not going to end well with James here.

“Yo, what’s up James and Dr. Lemur” I stated mentally in my head while waving my hand.

It was normal for me to pretend to converse even though I can’t. It’s what keeps me from feeling down about not being able to speak.

“Yo Lyn we didn’t know you had woken up, I came to drop off one of your notebooks so you can just write in it what you want to say like you always do.”

James handed me a notebook and a pencil to use as a means of conversing. Throughout life I never bothered to learn sign language cause most people don’t know it and occasionally I can talk anyway. Not to mention, writing it down is just as easy for the most part.

“So this is the pretty lady you saved yesterday eh? Man she’s quite a catch if I do say so myself.” Said James standing in front of my bed as Lemur walked over to the windows shading them slightly with the blinds.

I quickly shot him a look of dread and jotted down on the notebook a skull and crossbones image then showed it to him.

“I advise you not to stare at my chest like that and the name is Terra.”

I looked from her back up to James and sure enough he was ogling her chest but now he had a look of astonishment.

“Be careful! She’s a mind reader!!!” I wrote in the book then showed him.

“Yikes, the scariest kind of woman,” uttered James.

Dr. Lemur laughed, as he looked me over gave me a smile. Terra just sat there still staring straight ahead though you could tell she was angry. It must be normal for her not to turn her head towards where the sounds come from. I don’t blame her since she’s blind. Might feel kind of awkward if you’re still accidentally looking slightly in the wrong direction.

“Well Lyn, you’re all patched up. You were out like a light for the last two days but you’re recovering well. Your concussion should be ok by now. Your arm isn’t broken but its pretty sore so we put it in a sling. You shouldn’t use it for a while. The leg on the other hand had quite a few hairline fractures so it is gonna have to stay in a cast for at least a month.”

My complexion must have been all that was required for him to understand what I wanted to say cause he replied again without me even using the notebook.

“You’re gonna have to work something out cause you’re gonna be in a wheel chair for at least a week. I’m not giving you crutches till I think that arm is good enough to support you.”

I nodded my head and quickly started writing onto the notebook and after a few moments showed it to James.

“Yo, can you help me out for the week? I think Brian is out of town till Wednesday, since today is Monday you’re pretty much my only hope.”

“Sure I can ask Terra if she’d be able to take care of you for the week. So… Terra would you like to take care of Lyn for the week or perhaps longer if you deem necessary? Maybe even treat him to lunch for saving your life, you know, the works?

My jaw dropped. If James were within an arms reach right now I’d certainly be strangling him to death giving this hospital another patient. It was quiet for a moment. I looked over to Terra who was actually blushing. It was clear she was trying to hold it down but she was unable to.

“Well its only reasonable right. I mean he did save my life. I should… … At the very least… Look after him for a bit.” Said Terra completely flustered at this point.

James snickered for a moment and both Terra and me shot him a piercing gaze. It was strange cause it was the first time, I seen Terra move her head towards someone. I quickly jotted down on the book and showed it to James who looked surprised by our reactions.

“She’s blind you idiot! She thinks you laughed at her cause she said, “Look after!” you moron!”

After realizing the error of his ways, James quickly apologized.

“Sorry, I laughed cause you don’t seem the least bit unhappy about having to look after him… Not because your blind or anything. I mean, I don’t consider that a problem or anything!”

“Just shut up already!” I wrote on the book and almost threw at him.

Dr. Lemur had some how ninja’d his way out of the room cause he was no where to be found. It was a wise decision at this point to say the least.

“Well it’s true… And… I do intend to make it up to him…! OK!?”

“Good cause on the notebook he wrote that he thinks you’re pretty. I wasn’t supposed to tell you though.”

My eyes widened and I quickly looked over at Terra to find her face beat red and her head slumped back over her shoulders as if shocked. I ended up slapping my face with my palm sitting on the bed in the typical face-palm formation in response to the new situation. Of course I never wrote that on the book but saying that I wasn’t thinking it would be a lie.

“What was that noise?” spouted Terra spontaneously.

“It was Lyn, he’s so overcome with embarrassment that he’s hiding his face.” Answered James mechanically.

I flapped my short black hair to the side and shot James a look with enough evil intent in my crimson red eyes to simulate the grim reaper before bringing his scythe across the neck of his victim. I even showed him a quickly jotted image of a stick person hanging from a noose.

“Ha… Ha… OK… Well I gotta run now, bye! You two enjoy yourselves!” Yelled James as he was running out of the hospital room and around the corner down the hallway.

There was a long bitter silence. For a while, I don’t think either of us knew what to say or how to clear the atmosphere in the room. I ended up sighing and laying my head back on the pillow of the bed.

“You didn’t really write that down on the notebook did you… It makes me wonder what else he made up.” Said Terra breaking the silence.

For the first time in my whole life, I regretted not being able to speak to the point of hating my problem. I wanted to tell her a few things but I just couldn’t. It made me wonder how we were even supposed to communicate for the week we will be together. How does a blind person and someone who is unable to speak communicate. There was only one answer. Without any other way to rectify her conclusion, I ended up grabbing her right hand resting on her lap and kissing it like a gentleman.

She brought her left hand up and covered her face as I did so. She was blushing and trying to hide it. Tears were dribbling down her cheeks. Honestly she was cute, very cute. Cute enough to deserve a hug at the very least but I didn’t want to impose on her this early in the game. Maybe I’m just a wimp.

A red mark on her left arm that I was unable to see before brought me to my senses. Of course I couldn’t ask about it though. Ended up letting go of her hand and touching around the bruise to give her an indication of my question.

“Let me guess you’re curious as to how I got this bruise? A certain someone wouldn’t let go of my cane when I wanted to go home the day of the accident for clean clothes and a shower. Do you know how hard it was to get home and back here that night?! That same person ended up hitting me with it!” Said Terra standing up getting scarier by the second.

I scrunched up into my bed like a scared puppy as she scowled down at me.

“… So expect to be paid back quadruple the punishment over the week!” Exclaimed Terra recovering from the sappy emotions she had earlier wiping her tears away.

It made me realize that she acts tough but really is a tender person. It just made her all the more cute.

“I don’t know if I should be worried or happy but for you I just might become a masochist if I have to! It’s gonna be a lively week!” I told myself.