Romance Fan Fiction ❯ Prayers Surpass Time ❯ The Chapter in Which the Phrase; "We're Gonna Party Like it's 1257" Pops Into My Head Numerous Times ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

CHAPTER 2: The Chapter in Which the Phrase “We're Gonna Party Like its 1257!” Pops into My Head Numerous Times
 
“You have got to be kidding me,” I stared in disbelief. The boy just blinked back in equal confusion.
“Beggin' your pardon?” Friar Tuck spoke from a distance away.
“Robin Hood? Are you guys on your way to some reenactment or something? Staying in character?” The boy held his confused expression.
“Reenactment?”
“No…” I looked down, staring into the palms of my hands. “What's going on here…?” I looked up.
“Perhaps that nasty fall of yours fogged your head?” Little John spoke in a deep bass voice.
“What year is it?” I asked suddenly.
“Why it is the mid thirteenth century. The time of King Richard's crusade.” I gawked
“C-crusade? Are you for real?”
“Of course. Have you been living under a rock?” The boy—Robin—smirked. Friar Tuck put a hand on his shoulder.
“Now don't be rude, Robin,” he looked at me, “He means no offense.” Robin shrugged off the hand.
“No offense taken,” I said, a bit surprised. “So…I am in the thirteenth century? Holy crap.”
“You are a long way from home?” Little John spoke up.
“Long way from home doesn't even cover it.”
“Excuse me?” Robin asked. I sighed.
“You wouldn't believe me if I told you where I was from.”
“Try me.” Robin stared me down, crossing his arms across his chest. He had a nice face, you have to admit. And when he smiled crookedly like he had a couple times, it made the butterflies in my stomach go nuts. I sighed.
“I'm from the twenty first century America. I have no idea how I got here, and I have no idea how to get back.” Robin blinked in amazement.
“The twenty first century? Is that why you're wearing such strange clothes?” He motioned to my jeans and t-shirt.
“These are normal where I'm from.” I glared back at him.
“Where's America,” He had a strange expression on his face when he said the word…like it was foreign to him. Oh yeah, I forgot. America hadn't been discovered yet. The Vikings didn't count. I sighed.
“A long, long way from here.”
“Is that why you talk differently?” Friar Tuck asked.
“Actually, you all sound a bit strange to me. Anyway. I have no clue why I'm here. Well, it could have something to do with me being in Sherwood Forest at the time—”
“We're in Sherwood Forest, now.” Robin interrupted.
“Obviously, if I met you here.”
“You know me?” He blinked. Somehow the notion of telling a seventeen year old boy that there was a famous book written about him in the future didn't seem like such a good idea at the moment.
“Yeah, but it doesn't matter.”
“Do you have any supplies with you?” Little John asked.
“Uh…” I swung my backpack off my shoulder. “Not really.”
“She can travel with us,” Robin suggested.
“Is that wise, Robin? I mean, a young lady from another time traveling with us?” Friar Tuck lowered his voice, but I could still hear it. “She could get caught in the struggle. She could get hurt.”
“That is for her to decide. If she knows what is afoot here, then if she makes the decision she will know the consequences. I am sure we all will do our best to protect her, but if she gets hurt, it will be her own fault. And besides,” I caught him catch a quick glimpse of me out of the corner of his eye, “she wouldn't survive two nights in these woods.” Friar Tuck sighed and nodded, and Robin turned to me.
“Vaylie, we are willing to take you on, seeing as you have no where to go. But if you know of me, you no doubt know what I do. Being aligned with me is a dangerous thing. If you choose to do so, you must understand what you would be getting yourself into.” I considered. This was just like one of my games come to life! No. It was more serious than that. I could die. I could die, and I had to realize that. But what other option was there?
“I would like to travel with you,” I finally declared.
“Good,” Robin clapped his hands together, obviously delighted, “then you shall need some different clothes,” he said, eyeing the ones I had on. “The ones you have on would attract too much attention. Little John,” he turned to the big man, “do we still have that dress? The one from the carriage of that wonderful lady with too much money?”
“Ay, Robin. It's in one of the packs.”
“Fetch it for me would you?” He said, “It would look very nice on her.” He scrutinized me, and I blushed. I wonder what he thought of me. He was Robin Hood after all. He was one of those people whose opinions mattered. Well, I guess I was a special case. Most people don't get opinions from dead people. Only he wasn't dead. He was standing right before me. The one and only Robin Hood. Little John returned with a folded bundle of material. Robin took it and handed it to me.
“Don't worry,” he leaned in and winked, “We won't peek.” He motioned for me to head off in one direction. They turned around and headed in another. Once I was securely behind a large tree, I stripped off my clothes and replaced them with the dress. As I unfolded it, I found shoes in the folds. After I slipped on the dress, I tugged those on my feet and walked back to where I could see Robin and the others. I cleared my throat and Robin turned around.
“It looks lovely on you, just as I suspected,” Robin praised and I blushed. The dress was a simple design. A very modest neckline and skirt length, but I could move easily in it and it was somewhat shaped to my barely curves. All in all…it was somewhat flattering.
“Robin…should we be on out way, then?” Friar Tuck, asked, looking at the sky.
“Yes, Friar Tuck,” Robin agreed, “The day is old and we still have far to travel before sundown,” he turned to me, “I hope you are used to traveling in the forest, Vaylie. It's going to be something you'll have to be used to if you're to travel with us.”
“Don't worry,” I said, smiling, “the forest is my domain!” Robin gave me a quizzical look, but probably decided to just drop it, and turned.
“Then come along, Vaylie, we have a ways to go before dark,” He hoisted his pack higher on his shoulder and started off, Friar Tuck, Little John and me on his heels.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~