Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Dance Lessons ❯ Dance Lessons ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]
Disclaim-ness: Still not mine.

Babble: I wrote this purely because I wanted to see Anubis and Mia dancing around her kitchen. It's meant to be a kind of free interpretation fic. Pick your favorite romantic song for the two of them, and imagine that's the song mentioned in the fic. ^_^;

<*>

As she brushed past, Anubis inhaled the clean, flowery scent of Mia's shampoo. He reminded himself sternly that he was supposed to be a monk.

Mia turned up the radio, which was playing the beginning notes of a slow, sweet love song. "I love this song," she sighed as she sat down across from him at the table.

Anubis looked up at her. She continued, a bit dreamy. "When I was in high school, I'd always hoped some handsome, mysterious guy would ask me to dance to it." She trailed off, humming almost imperceptably with the refrain.

Her words hung on the air, and after arguing with himself for a moment he gave in. "But..?"

A shrug of her slender shoulders. "I read a lot, and I spent all my breaks visiting Grandfather, so I never made very many friends." Between verses, the music rose. "Still, it would have been nice."

Maybe it was the music, a song meant to free emotions. Maybe they were just two lonely people, with only each other for company. Maybe it was the wistful look in Mia's eyes, or the matching wistfulness in his own heart.

Whatever it was, Anubis found himself standing and drawing Mia to her feet. He pulled her close, and their bodies moved as one through the last notes of the song.

For that short time, there was no war, no Ronins, no Dynasty. There were only the two of them, in each other's arms. While holding her, for the first time in centuries, Anubis felt whole.