Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Destiny's Warrior ❯ chapter eleven ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ryo and the others returned to their makeshift campsite with Sakura following them. Ryo was having a hard time trying to not to stare at her. 'Why did I let her stay?' he asked himself. 'How stupid can I get? Like I don't have a hard enough time not thinking about her as it is! It's because you like her. Another voice in his head argued. Ryo frowned. 'Even if I did, I couldn't. She is the enemy and now I have to keep my eye on her all the time, just to make sure she doesn't murder us in our sleep.' Apparently the other warriors thought so also, because after everyone had settled around the fire, Sakura slightly excluded by the others, Sage approached him and said so.

"Don't you think that I haven't thought of that," Ryo hissed keeping his voice down, "I'll stay up for tonight and watch, and someone else can do it tomorrow and so on."

"We wouldn't even be have to be losing sleep if you had just sent her away!" Sage grumbled. Ryo silenced his complaints with a look. "She would have just followed us anyway. Besides, everyone deserves a second chance!" Sage didn't reply as he got up and got ready to sleep.

True to his word, Ryo stayed awake that night long after everyone was asleep. Truth be told, he couldn't have slept even if he wanted to. Ryo watched Sakura as she slept her head resting on Kero, who was curled around her. 'She really is pretty,' he thought to himself. 'And she looks so gentle and innocent, like she could never hurt anybody. Ryo suddenly realized the direction his thoughts were going as he shook his head. 'Oh! Snap out of it,' He told himself. 'She can say what she wants, but she is the enemy and I can't allow myself to think those kinds of thing, not if I want to stay alive.'

Ryo spent the rest of the night in an attempt to occupying his mind with other things till morning. Sakura woke first unaware that Ryo was still up. She stretched her arms above her head and got up Kero following her.

"Where do you think your going?" Ryo asked her suddenly.

Startled, Sakura turned around to see Ryo watching her. "Stayed awake all night to make sure I didn't murder you all in your sleep did ya?" she asked with a sad smile. "I expected as much."

"Well, can you blame us?" Ryo asked her, trying to defend himself.

Sakura hung her head looking every inch the sorry new recruit, "No, I guess I really can't." and with that she turned and headed towards the river.

"You never answered my question." Ryo yelled getting to his feet.

"The river," Sakura said over her shoulder, without stopping, "you can come if you'd like, but Kero is always thirsty in the morning."

Ryo opted to let her go by herself as he sat back down. 'She can't get into to much trouble down there by herself, what harm could she do down there'?

Sakura, relieved that she wasn't being followed, made it to the river and set Kero on guard.

"Stay here and alert me if anyone comes this way, I need to speak to father." Kero growled his agreement and sat down by the river.

Sakura hurried over to a group of trees and took of her mother's crystal. She held it in her hand until it turned blue; she then drew a circle in the air with it. When the circle was completed her fathers face magically materialized inside the circle.

"How are things?" her father questioned.

"Not so good, they don't trust me at all." Sakura said gravely.

"Not surprising, do we need to attack so that you can prove your loyalty to them?"

Sakura thought about this for a moment, "Let's use that as a last resort," she decided. "They might think I was the one who called the attack."

"Fine," her father answered, "But find out their secret soon, you understand me." Talpa demanded. "I want to defeat them as soon as possible."

Sakura bowed low, "Yes sir." With that her fathers face disappeared along with the circle. Sakura replaced the necklace on her neck and found Kero and walked back to the campsite. The other Ronins had woken up by now. When she appeared out of the forest, they stopped mometarily as they watched her come closer.

"Surprised to be alive?" Sakura teased.

She was rewarded with sarcastic smiles as they ignored her comment and started gathering things up. Ryo silently walked up to Sakura and tapped her on the shoulder. Sakura turned around.

"Yes," she asked waiting for a stinging comment she was sure that was coming her way.

Ryo looked at her then at the ground. 'I can't believe I am doing this.' he thought. "Umm…" he stammered. "Thanks for saving me yesterday," he said, finally looking at her. Sakura face showed the surprise she felt giving way to a small smiled.

"You're welcome," she said as he walked away. 'Maybe spending time with them won't be so bad after all.' She thought with a smile.

"Hey Ryo, come help me with this," Yulie said as he struggled to put up his tent. Ryo walked over to where Yulie was having trouble.

'Maybe having her here won't be so bad after all,' Ryo thought thinking of the surprised expression on her face, as he helped Yulie with this tent.