Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Family ❯ Visiting Day ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Today is visiting day. It happens about 4 times a week, sometimes 5 if it's a really good week, but usually occurring on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. Visiting days are the days when the kids get to dress up and look their best in hopes of getting adopted. I don't really care anymore though. Sorry to be so negative but half the time I felt like we lived in a humane society. I've lived here for over two years now and every visiting day turned out the same. I was still here at the end of the day.
Every week a new child was advertised in the newspaper and on the television as “Child of the Week.” I know I had been there at least 6 times but every opportunity that came knocking was shot down. “Oh well we thought it was a girl.” Or “My goodness, he's so skinny…he looks so unhealthy!” and so on and so on.
Eventually after so many setbacks, you stop getting excited about the prospect of people coming to see you just to judge you like a piece of meat and throw you back to the dogs after they're done harassing you. Once again, sorry for the negativity.
Also I had kind of given up on friends a while ago too. See an orphan can't make too many solid friendships without the fear of adoption. One of the only friends I had here was a boy named Yatori but he was chosen about a month after I met him.
11:45. The doors would open at 12:15. The younger children were now circling like fish in a tank, excited and anxious about the next few minutes. They don't have to worry all that much though. The younger ones usually get adopted much quicker than the older ones. See that's the other problem of being here for a long time, you start to learn people's patterns. Most people adopt young children so they can mold and shape them into the image they want them to fit. The older one's already have an image and tend to stick with it. Fight the machine!!
I listened to the drone of the children for a long time, locked in my reverie. Long enough, I realized, for the visitors to arrive. They weaved in and out of the playing children, smiling and talking amongst themselves. There was 7 maybe 8 couples here today.
A tall man stopped in front a cute little girl with long blond pigtails. I recognized her instantly and smiled. Maybeth. Soon she was excused from the room to go and collect her things. Then a little red-headed boy named Peter, then Davis. Next was Tony. Then Alexis. Jimmy. Lilyn. Jax. And now we're all up and seeing them outside. Many of the girls are crying while the boys are shouting words of encouragement.
I stood quietly and watched the cars pull out and drive away. It was nothing I haven't seen before. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not reflecting jealousy. I was happy those kids had a good home now and that they had parents to love and care for them. It's just…you can't help but feel a slight bit of envy for those chosen. Oh well, that life I guess.