Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Family ❯ Family ( Chapter 30 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Cye's POV
 
 
I picked through my colored pencils, sifting through the different shades of color critically. The final drawing was complete and I needed to find the perfect shade of blue for it.
Whiteblaze nudged my foot and growled softly, looking at me with clear eyes.
I jumped a little, dropping the pencils to a mess on the floor.
The giant tiger scooped the pencils into his mouth and laid them across my lap, purring contently as I scratched him behind his ears. I still found it hard to believe that a tiger the size of a small car was about as dangerous as the Snuggle laundry detergent bear with a plastic butter knife.
To prove my point further, the big cat proceeded to roll on to his back and stretch, exposing his stomach to me in hopes of getting it scratched as well.
“You're such a big baby.” A voice came from the doorway.
I looked over just as Ryo walked in the room and kneeled next to Whiteblaze, scratching his stomach. The tiger purred loudly, his paws twitching a little at the attention he was receiving.
“So, how's it going?” Ryo asked, his attention now turning to me.
I shrugged a little and set down my drawing. “It's okay, I guess. Not looking forward to going back to school.” I joked lamely.
Ryo smirked and nodded, watching me closely.
I sighed inwardly, trying to get over the uncomfortable feeling of having someone stare at me. I had been staying with Mia for the time being while waiting for the police work to be filed. Takura and Shimate had been sent to jail, obviously, but were also required to go to therapy sessions to help them work out their “little problems.”
Therapists often worry me with their overwhelming optimism. “Little problems” was quite possibly one of the biggest understatements I'd ever heard in my life.
I became vaguely aware that Sage and Rowen had walked in and were now regarding me with the same careful stare that Ryo was. Lately, everyone had been treating me like a piece of glass, afraid I'd break at any given moment. So with everyone in a room like this, what's my automatic assumption?
“Uh…intervention?”
Rowen laughed softly. “You don't make a big deal out of much, do you man?”
“Uh…I try not to.” I answered honestly, wondering if I was giving them the answered they wanted to here or the one that was right.
Sage watched me, a calm, concerned look in his eyes. “We're just worried about you, Cye. That's all.”
“Yeah, I mean, you did nearly die a few days ago. We just want to make sure you're alright.” Rowen added.
I inwardly winced as that cold realization hit for about the 47th time that week. I was technically dead for a little over 5 minutes a few days ago and it's not something you get over easily.
“Really guys, I'm alright.” I said, smiling reassuringly. “Thanks to all of you. Please don't worry, okay?”
Speaking of “all”, where was Kento?
It didn't take long for my answer to make itself known as Kento came running through the front door excitedly.
“Hey there, shorty.” He exclaimed, grinning as I made a face at him. “Come with me, I need to show you something.”
He grabbed me by the hand gently and pulled me outside.
“Can I ask where we're going?” I asked hesitantly as he pushed me in the car.
“Of course not.” He shoved a blindfold at me and resolved to stay parked until I had put it on.
“Why the blindfold?”
“Just trust me okay? I'm not taking you anywhere terrible.” He reassured me, leaning against the car and waiting for me to slip on the blindfold.
I grumbled something rather irritably at him but put it on, leaning back as he climbed in the car and started the ignition.
We pulled out of the driveway slowly and began our journey. Other cars were pulling out around us and I wondered if the other were going somewhere as well.
We drove for a little while before the car pulled to stop. “Okay, stay put. I'll come around to get you.” Kento said, killing the engine and walking around to my side.
He helped me out and walked me up a couple of stairs, continuously telling me not to look from under my blindfold.
A door was pushed open and I was pushed inside. “Okay…now.”
I slid of the blindfold slowly and gasped.
“WELCOME HOME, CYE!!” a large group of people shouted. Confetti exploded into colorful rain and a large tie-dye banner saying “Welcome Home!” was stretched across the back wall.
Upon closer examination, I deducted we were in Kento's house and his parents, Mia, the guys, and couple other people were all standing around the room.
“What…what's going on…?” I stammered after a minute as Kento walked over and grinned broadly.
“What do you mean? You're home, Cye.” He said, looking around the room with me.
Everyone was smiling at me and I felt a few tears slip down my face. “How…did you…? I never wanted you to…”
“I know you didn't but I wanted to. I went by the adoption agency with my mom yesterday and we filled out the paperwork. We are now your official guardians.”
Kento's mother walked over and pulled me into a tender hug. “Welcome to the family, baby.” She whispered, stroking my hair gently and lovingly the way all mothers should.
I couldn't speak. Tears fell freely down my face as I hugged her back. For several minutes, everything faded away. All the horrible nights at the Katsugara's, the pain, the emptiness; none of that mattered anymore.
Kento's mother stepped back and looked at me, brushing the tears from my eyes gently. “No more crying, now. This is your party and you should enjoy it.” She grinned and went to help her husband with the drinks.
Kento walked over and smiled. “Welcome home, buddy.”
I shook a little and threw my arms around his neck, hugging him as tightly as I could. “Thank you so much…” I managed brokenly.
He hugged me back, ruffling my hair gently as he did. “Someone's gotta save your little British butt, right?”
I smiled lightly and nodded. “Yeah, well someone's gotta keep you out of trouble too, yeah?”
Happiness blossomed inside of me, the first time in a very long time and I couldn't help but grin like a little kid. I had a home, a place where I could feel safe and wanted. I had a new life and new friends to share it with. I had a family.
 
 
Ahhh!! I cried while writing this because I was so happy when everything went well for Cye!!!
Cye: You're the writer, you knew how it was going to end -.-;
Me: Yeah but you didn't ^.-
Cye: Good point…
Thank you to all my readers!! You are what keeps me going!!! I loves you good!!!