Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ In The Shadow Of War ❯ Lady Of Dreams ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

In The Shadow Of War
 
Chapter One: Lady Of Dreams
By: Demon Priestess Saturn
 
It was beautiful, the grass was the prefect shade of green and the cherry blossoms were blowing in the wind. But this is how the dream always started thought a very handsome young man with dark blue hair and blue eyes. He always found himself walking on this same path in the same dream. He was following a beautiful sound; it was the sound of singing. It was truly a beautiful voice from this so-called mystery maiden he had yet to meet. Every night when he fell asleep the dream seemed to continue where it left off as if wanting and waiting for him to find the source of the singing. He continued along the path hearing rustling in the brush. He could see shadow like things on the edge of the path, humanoid like things with glowing red eyes and claws on each hand. They were as dark as night and appeared to be shadows on the ground. He couldn't figure out why they wouldn't attack him like they obviously wanted to. It was as if they were ordered not to touch him even tough they wanted to.
 
As he continued walking the wind blew his long bang away from his face. The more he walked the more he felt weak it was as if he were fighting a mental battle but nothing was going on. He realized a long time ago that the dream was troubling him and he had felt unusually tired after each time he had it. However why should he let that worry him? He continued on the path till he reached a beautiful lake. He looked about it in amazement and surprise. Hearing the singing much louder now, he looked out a crossed the lake. He could see something in the distance. It was walking toward him and that was where the beautiful singing was coming from. The wind blew again and he could see that this was a woman approaching him with her long black hair blowing in the wind. All he knew then was he had to meet this woman. He waited by the lake and waited for her to come but then he heard something calling his name.
 
“Rowen…” A familiar voice called to him from his sleep and for some reason he woke up voluntarily. He opened his eyes to see a blonde looking down at him.
“Sage? What time is it?” Rowen asked as he sat up.
“It's 5:30.” Sage replied.
“Oh. I must have fallen asleep on the couch.” Rowen replied sounding obviously too tried for his own good.
“When did you fall asleep?” Sage asked with a smile.
“I fell asleep not long after Cye, Kento, and Ryo left and that was about three-o-clock.” Rowen replied and yawned. Sage frowned noticing how pale Rowen's face was.
“Rowen you don't look good. Are you feeling okay?” Sage felt Rowen's head.
“I haven't been feeling good for a while Sage.” Rowen replied.
“I think you're sick. Maybe you should go upstairs and go back to sleep.” Sage replied.
“Yeah I agree. Wake me up in little while so I can eat dinner.” Rowen said as he got up and walked upstairs to the room he and Sage shared. Rowen walked into the room and went to his bed, lying down his head began to pound. He rolled over on to his side and closed his eyes it wasn't long before he was back asleep. He soon found himself sitting next to the lake once again waiting for this woman to come to him. Then suddenly he forgot who he was and why he was there. He no longer remembered he was dreaming. Then the woman was standing in front of him. Her ice blue eyes stared back at him and a smile touched her lips.
 
“Rowen you came as I asked.” She smiled.
“Who are you?” Rowen asked.
“My name is Elveria the lady of dreams.” She replied.
“What do you want?” Rowen asked.
“I want you to help me Rowen. I need you to help me.” Elveria replied in almost an echoed tone.
“How can I help you?” Rowen replied.
“Look into my eyes Rowen and I'll take it from there.” Elveria smiled. Rowen looked at her beautiful ice blue eyes and was suddenly mystified. Rowen's blue eyes went blank and Elveria pulled him close. “You are mine.” She whispered and kissed him passionately on the lips. Rowen felt that he could not resist as if he were trapped. He wasn't sure why he felt that he had to escape but all he could do was scream.
 
Sage sat in the living room reading a book. He had finished cooking dinner a half hour ago but decided to let Rowen sleep a little longer. He didn't want to disturb him if he was sick. Sage glanced at the clock it was 7:30 and he wondered where Cye, Kento, and Ryo were. Shrugging it off he wondered if he should wake Rowen but his thoughts were suddenly shattered when he heard his best friend scream. Sage jumped at first surprised then quickly got to his feet and ran upstairs. Opening the bedroom door to their room he found Rowen having a seizure on the bed. Sage ran over to him and shook him trying to get him to wake up.
 
“Rowen! ROWEN!” Sage shouted but then he friend stopped. “Rowen!” He called out again and checked his friends pulse. He was still alive but Sage knew something was terribly wrong. Sage went and began to examine Rowen to determine the source of his seizure but found nothing. Sage then decided to call his friends. But when he went to get the phone on his bedside table he was struck really hard on the side of his face. Sage fell to the floor hard and when he pushed himself up and turned to see what hit him. He found Rowen standing in front of him. But there was a difference in him and Sage couldn't put his finger on it. All he knew was for some reason Rowen was in his sub armor.
 
“Rowen what was that for?” Sage asked sounding a little hurt.
“Quit your whining ronin and transform.” Rowen said coldly.
“Rowen what's wrong with you?” Sage asked.
“If you won't fight I will destroy you.” Rowen narrowed his eyes.
“What?” Sage said confused.
“ARMOR OF STRATA DOU IN O CHI!” Rowen called for his full armor. Sage stared; he couldn't believe what he was seeing. He couldn't believe that his best friend was threatening to kill him. But then the realization hit him when Rowen finished his transformation. Rowen's faceplate was down, which was something that never happened with them unless something was wrong. He pulled his bow and aimed an arrow at Sage. Releasing the arrow Sage jumped to the side but was kicked in the side by Rowen. Sage screamed in pain and looked at his friend. Rowen swung down with his bow almost striking Sage but Sage barely dodged the attack.
 
“You're serious aren't you?” Sage replied.
“Transform and fight me ronin before I get mad.” Rowen jumped at him again. Sage however was two steps a head and this time he jumped in the air.
“ARMOR OF HALO DOU GI!” Sage called his sub armor to him. But he still didn't believe Rowen wanted to kill him. Sage landed perfectly a few feet away and positioned himself to fight. However this time Rowen was one-step a head, pulling another arrow he released it in Sage's direction. Sage jumped to this side. Rowen easily predicting his fellow ronins move, quickly shoot another arrow in the direction Sage was heading.
“AHHHHHHH!” The arrow struck Sage in the arm. That was when Sage started to believe that Rowen was telling the truth. Sage reached up and pulled the arrow out.
“Are you going to put the rest of your armor on yet?” Rowen stopped to taunt some more. Sage had to agree that he had had enough fooling around. Tossing the arrow aside he narrowed his eyes.
“ARMOR OF HALO DOU GI!” Sage called for the rest of his armor.
“Finally.” Rowen replied and waited for his transformation to finish. When Sage was finished an all out battle started. But try as he might Sage couldn't seem to land any punches, in fact Sage was losing badly. Then Sage thought he had the upper hand swinging his sword down he tried to hit Rowen in a knock out move but instead Rowen caught his blade. A twisted smiled touched Rowen's lips and his hand began to glow.
“It was fun but I think I'll destroy you now.” Rowen's twisted smile was now getting to Sage. Fear became obvious in the blonde's lavender eyes and then he noticed that Rowen's hand was glowing as green as his armor. Sage looked at Rowen's hand and it stopped glowing. As Rowen's hand stopped glowing Sage's sword began to crack and finally it snapped in two. Sage then realized too late that his armor had vanished and he was back in his normal everyday clothes. Sage dropped the part of the sword he still had in his hand and began step away from Rowen. Sage knew he was in trouble and decided that running was the only way to save his life now. He turned and ran for the door but Rowen moved his hand and the door slammed shut. Sage stopped and turned back to face his friend but as he turned he felt a sting in his chest. Rowen had hit him with the Arrow Shock Wave. Sage placed his hand on the arrow in shock and fell to the ground.
 
“Rowen?” Sage said in pained voice and fell into unconsciousness.
“Rowen is not my name. I am Elveria remember that.” Rowen sneered then slowly turned and jumped out the window.
 
It was midnight when an auburn haired boy entered the house with two other boys one with jet-black hair and the other with ash blue hair. They had been out running errands all afternoon and afterwards went out to have some fun. Both the black haired boy and the blue haired boy were drunk and the auburn haired boy knew that once Sage and Rowen found out that they had been left out on their fun they would be mad. At the time the auburn haired boy didn't care. He was too tired to care and on top of that the house felt strangely quiet.
 
“So what should we do now Cye!” The ash blue haired boy said to the auburn haired boy.
“Shhh! Quiet Kento I think Rowen and Sage are in bed.” Cye scolded him.
“But why would Rowen be in bed? He doesn't go to bed till two in the morning.” The boy with the jet-black hair asked.
“In case you haven't noticed Rowen has been going to bed at nine-o-clock lately.” Cye snapped.
“Whoa sorry.” The black haired boy said. Cye sighed and realized he was too tired.
“I'm sorry you guys I must be tired.” Cye apologized. “I think we should go to bed.”
“I'll go to bed after I have a snack and take a shower.” Kento mumbled.
“Yeah me too.” Ryo replied.
“Okay but I'm going to bed.” Cye said and turned to go upstairs. When Cye reached the top of the stairs he continued down the hall to his and Kento's room. Glancing at Sage and Rowen's room he noticed the door was shut which was suggesting that he was right in his assumption about the two boys being in bed. Cye smiled and expected to be woken up in an hour by Sage. He knew if Sage was in bed and if anyone took a shower it would wake Sage up. Usually when that happened Cye would hear some yelling and possibly some kicking of ass. That however didn't bother him he was too used to it. He shook his head and went into his room. However when he laid down on his soft bed a feeling had reached him. He had the sudden urge to check on Sage and Rowen. Lying there for a moment the boy thought about it but then decided to brush off the feeling. Closing his eyes the ronin of Torrent fell into some much needed sleep.
 
When morning came Cye awoke to find Kento and Ryo downstairs sparing. The three boys were totally oblivious as to where Sage was. Cye simply thought he was out in the forest meditating. Kento and Ryo however thought that maybe he didn't come home last night. When Cye said breakfast was ready the two boys went in to get they're shares before they had to wake Rowen. Cye however was surprised, Sage was usually back by the time breakfast ready. However today Sage was not to be found and had not been seen all morning.
 
“Have you guys seen Sage this morning?” Cye asked still having that feeling to check his room.
“Nope I don't think he came home last night.” Ryo replied.
“Why?” Cye looked at him confused.
“Because both me and Kento got away with taking a shower last night without being screamed at.” Ryo finished.
“Yeah and you know how Sage can get if he's woken up.” Kento inquired.
“I have a bad feeling you guys. I had a disturbing dream last night. I had a dream Rowen went crazy and tried to kill all of us and for some reason Sage was nowhere to be found.” Cye replied.
“Did it seem like he was dead?” Ryo asked.
“No it seemed like he just couldn't fight. It's like Sage was still there but for some reason could not fight.” Cye finished.
“Maybe he was hurt in your dream Cye.” Kento said finishing his breakfast.
“No, that's not it either. I had the impression he lost his powers or lost his armor. Maybe it was both.” Cye thought for a moment.
“That's strange if you ask me.” Ryo replied and stood. “Well I'm done. Hey Kento why don't you help me finish fixing the dock?” Ryo smiled.
“Yeah in a little while. It's my turn to get Rowen up.” Kento replied and got up.
“Yeah and I have to clean these dishes.” Cye replied.
“Oh Cye, Sage cooked dinner last night but didn't put it away so me and Kento ate the rest of it.” Ryo said before going out the door.
“And we know Sage cooked it because Rowen cooks toxic waste.” Kento replied before Cye could reply. Cye had to admit they wouldn't have eaten all of it if Rowen had cooked it.
“He didn't put the dinner away?” Cye looked as if this was not normal. “Then that means Sage came home last night.”
“Then he must have left after that.” Kento said sounding a little confused. “But why would he do that?”
“I don't know.” Cye replied. “Something isn't right.”
“I agree.” Kento replied.
“Go see if Rowen knows where he is.” Cye replied.
“I was just about to do that.” Kento walked out of the room. When Kento got to the stairs he thought about what Cye had said. He hadn't told him that he had the same bad feeling all night too. He didn't mention it because he thought Sage was capable of handling the house by himself with Rowen around. He also didn't feel like getting a lecture from Sage if something hadn't happened. But the more he thought about Sage the worst his feeling got and the more he began to worry. Now that Cye finally told him he had the same feeling he felt a little better and wondered if Ryo felt that way too. When he reached the top of the stairs he headed for Sage and Rowen's room. Turning the doorknob he went to open the door to his surprise the door was stuck.
 
“What the hell.” Kento pushed on the door harder. “Sage!” He said and continued to try and open the jammed door. Failing Kento began to use more force slamming his body against the door like an officer would do. Downstairs Cye was hearing the commotion. He dried his hands and went to the bottom of the stairs.
“Kento!” He shouted.
“Yeah!” Kento shouted back.
“What's all the noise?” Cye continued.
“The door is stuck!” Kento replied.
“The door is what?” Cye began to walk up the stairs.
“The door is stuck.” Kento repeated. Cye reached the top of the stairs and walked over.
“Are you sure?” He asked and tested the door.
“Yep.” Kento replied when Cye couldn't even push open the door.
“That's funny it's not even locked.” Cye pointed out the obvious. “Sage! Are you in there!” Cye shouted through the door but got no answer.
“No I'm really starting to get a bad feeling.” Kento said out loud.
“Maybe we should get Ryo.” Cye replied sounding a little scared.
“I need permission to break down the door.” Kento replied.
“You have no objection here.” Cye said calmly.
“Okay then go get Ryo.” Kento said and prepared to break the door down.
“Okay.” Cye turned and ran down the stairs.
“Okay…3…2…1…” Kento used all of his strength to kick in the door. However when he kicked it he realized something was right where the door was going to fall. Kento quickly grabbed the door before it hit the floor and pulled it out. Quickly putting it against the wall he looked back in the room. The room was ripped apart and as he thought there was someone lying on the floor behind the door, it was Sage. “Sage! Shit!” Kento knelt down next to his friend. That's when Kento realized who was behind the attack. One of Rowen's arrows was stuck in his chest from what appeared to be his heart. “Oh no Sage.” Kento checked for a pulse, surprisingly he had one. “You are one lucky blonde. Aw man what did this to you buddy.” Kento said in relief and pulled out the arrow. A soft moan escaped Sage's lips. “Sage?” Kento looked at him. Sage opened his eyes slightly.
“…Kento…” Sage said weakly.
“I'm right here Sage what happened?” Kento said in a worried tone.
“Rowen's…” Sage said but was in too much pain to finish.
“Rowen's what?” Kento asked and tried to calm himself.
“He's…” Sage suddenly fell back into unconsciousness.
“Rowen's what? Sage…” Kento replied and realized that his friend was hurt bad. Kento picked Sage up and was coming down the stairs when Ryo and Cye reached the bottom stair.
“Oh god is he okay?” Cye said with wide eyes. Cye then wished he had listened to his instinct and noticed the bruise on the side of Sage's face.
“I don't know man. He had an arrow in his chest.” Kento replied trying to keep his voice sounding normal. “Watch out I'm going to put him on the couch.”
“Is he alive?” Ryo's face was pale.
“Oh he's alive… He was talking to me a moment ago.” Kento replied after a short pause. “I need the first aid kit Cye.”
“Okay I'll get it.” Cye left to get the first aid kit. Kento began to unbutton Sage's shirt. Ryo walked over and looked at the bad bruise on Sage's face.
“Good god what did this to him?” Ryo replied in a worried tone.
“Rowen.” Kento said as he removed Sage's shirt revealing much more bruising and the two arrow wounds.
“Rowen?” Ryo looked at Kento in surprise.
“Rowen's arrow was in his chest and Sage tried to say something about Rowen so I figured it was Rowen.” Kento said as he pulled out his handkerchief and applied pressure to Sage's chest wound.
“It looks like he was hit twice by arrows.” Ryo pointed to the other arrow wound in Sage's shoulder.
“He must have pulled that one out himself.” Kento replied.
“Here's the kit.” Cye returned with the first aid kit and looked at Sage. Kento opened the kit and pulled out a needle and some stitching material.
“Do you know what you're doing?” Ryo asked.
“Yep I had to do this with Rowen all the time so I know how to stitch people up.” Kento replied and continued to help Sage.
“Is Rowen upstairs anywhere?” Cye asked masking his worry.
“I didn't see him. But he could be hurt too I don't know but I doubt it.” Kento replied.
“Why?” Cye asked.
“Because I think he's the one who attacked Sage.” Kento began. “I found Rowen's arrow in his chest.”
“Are you sure it was Rowen's?” Cye asked.
“Does this look like it's anyone else's?” Kento handed Cye the gold arrow.
“That's Rowen's alright.” Ryo replied.
“But why would Rowen attack Sage?” Cye replied in disbelief.
“I don't know. All I know is that their room is totally trashed and Sage is hurt bad.” Kento said as he finished stitching Sage's arrow wounds.
“We won't know exactly what happened until Sage wakes up.” Ryo replied.
“What should we do until then?” Cye asked their fearless leader. Who at the moment was filled with fear but was hiding it very well. Ryo narrowed his eyes.
“We find Rowen.”
 
End Chapter One