Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Life's Mysteries ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaim: Not mine. No money being made, no copyright infringement intended. Am spending my hard-earned money on the DVDs, don't sue.

I've never been a person of great faith. My childhood was spent going back and forth between France and Japan. My mother had been raised Catholic, but had long since drifted away from the faith. I don't think dad ever practiced any religion.

After a calamity, some people will turn to religion, but the Nether Realm effectively shot holes in most theologies. I threw myself into my work, moving from "Jacob Koji's granddaughter" to a profesor well respected for my own work.

I won't lie and say I never gave religion a thought. To lie would be contrary to this whole confession thing.

I did a lot of thinking, deep, philosophical thoughts, in the months after Anubis' death. I eventually came to conclusion that no deity would have so cruelly seperated us, or if there was one who would, I had no desire to know him.

In all my 41 years, I've never followed any religion nor prayed to any sort of god. I've wondered what comes after death, and if I'll meet up with my Anubis again. I suppose all star-crossed lovers, both legendary and more mundane, have such fatalistic thoughts.

Then, last fall, the new school term started. Going through the class list and matching names with faces proceeded in the usual fasion. Until. Nearing the middle of the list, I looked up to see a boy, Ishido Tamaki by name. He couldn't have been much older than 19 or 20, if that.

Looking at him sent a strange tingle of deja vu throughout my body. I passed it off as his resembling a relative I'd taught years ago. A nagging inner voice pointed out I usually remembered such resemblances immediately, but I quickly quelled it.

I managed to decieve myself in this fasion for a few weeks. When he asked me for help after class, I took the opportunity to study him. Black hair, longish but not to his shoulders, eyes of an indeterminate color. (I'd later learn they were grey, except for rare occasions when they took on an eerily familiar green hue.) He was barely taller than me, but then he still has a few more years to grow.

I won't claim some sudden burst of knowledge. The awareness came upon me with time. I suppose it makes sense. We found each other once, seperated by 400 years. What's a mere 20 years to love?

The thing that had haunted my dreams for years, yet I'd never dared to hope possible, had happened. Anubis had returned.

He has no memory of our past, and I doubt he ever will. He just seems to know we belong together.

Teacher/student relationships are strictly forbidden. If we're found out, I'll lose my job, my credibility. He'll lose his scholarship and his family would probably throw him out. If we can just make it until he's through with college..

Sometimes we think that it might be better to just break it off, save ourselves the pain that'll come if we're discovered. But we never do. Because sometimes, when it seems that the world is against you, fate will give you a second chance. Who are we to question some sort of divine gift? One mustn't waste it, no matter what the consequences.