Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Obligations Of A Lady ❯ Prelude: Part 2 ( Prologue )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Obligations Of A Lady

Prelude: Part 2

Mia welcomed the wonderful smell of Paris, France. She was half French so that might have also been it but she knew the people here were much less stiff-necked then the English did. A footman offered his hand to Mia and she accepted graciously as she stepped down from the carriage. The place they had rented wasn't too big yet large enough for their needs. Another footman hurried to the door and opened it for her; she nodded her thanks. Entering the house, she looked appreciatively at the tiled floors, the nicely decorated walls, and the beautiful marble columns. There was a spiral staircase that connected them to the upstairs rooms and the servants' quarters. She turned around and viewed the people starting filing in.

"Lady Farring, this 'ouse is the finest ah've ever seen," Marie-Antoinette, a maid said as she looked around in wonder.

Mrs. Becker was in the process of helping Mr. Becker towards the doorway. He had not taken very well to the long trip from England to Paris.

Mia hurried to their side and offered her hand.

"Perhaps I should have stayed in England with Lord Farring," Mr. Becker observed wincing as he sat down on a nearby chair.

"Don't say that," Mrs. Becker replied as she took out a napkin and wiped his sweaty forehead.

"Since there is no gentleman that needs a valet in this household, perhaps Mr. Corks can help you find a job?" Mia offered suggestively.

Mr. Corks nodded. "Of course,"

"And I shall give you the references that you need," Mia smiled gently. She turned around and hurried up the stairs. "Just rest for a while Mr. Becker, Clarisse, can you help Mrs. Fyra find the kitchen?" She asked the small maid. Mrs. Fyra had been Lord Farring's cook.

"Yes milady," Clarisse curtsied obediently as she and a plump woman disappeared down the hall.

"Mr. Corks," Mia began.

"Yes?" Mr. Corks asked, looking up at her.

"I'm sorry I am putting all these tasks upon you, but would you find a reputable place that sells stallions?" Mia blushed. "I know a lady is not to ride stallions but I think if I were to ride it sidesaddle, it needn't matter…"

"Oh it is no trouble at all and I'd be delighted," Mr. Corks answered.

"Thank you," Mia thanked as she hurried up the stairs.

~*~*~*~*~

The afternoon had been a whirlwind of activities. First they had to get use to the large house so that no one would get lost. Second, everyone had been sent out to buy supplies such as food and some books to fill up the empty library. What Mia found the weariest job to be was unpacking. Clarisse, Marie-Antoinette, and Anette, another maid, had helped her in the process.

Mia frowned at the number of clothing she had. She hadn't even worn half this stuff and most of it didn't fit her. She smiled at the maids. "Now I know these are old and raggedy…but maybe you guys can use it as table rags or cleaning rags, or something of the sort? I'd hate for these to go to waste…"

"Oh miss, if you don't mind, I'd love to take one of these dresses," Clarisse said excitedly as she held up a pale yellow dress made of Indian muslim with a lacey, see-through layer on top of it. Clarisse picked up the silk sash and held it fondly. "These dresses are much too fine to become cleaning rags of any sort…"

Mia nodded. "Alright…if you'd like anything else, you may have your pick. I don't want to join the Season this year in the French ton so I don't need many things to wear…just a few outfits."

"But miss, you'd be missing out a great lot if you don't join the Season this year!"

Mia shook her head. "I'm sorry Clarisse, but I just don't fancy it…What I really want to do is look around. Did you know that you could live in one place your whole life but never really see it?"

The maids looked confused at each other.

Mia laughed. "Anyways, most of these gowns do not fit me much anymore…or even at all." I feel bad giving them used items…

Marie-Antoinette looked in astonishment at the wide array of dresses on the bed. They hadn't even gotten through four suitcases before the bed was filled. She picked up a lavender one with a lace sash. "May I have this one then?"

"Of course, take you pick," Mia smiled uncertainly. She felt wicked to be giving these girls used items of clothing. Yeah but where else would they go? She shrugged and blushed. "I'm going to purchase a few horses for the stalls, you may have your pick of any gowns that you'd like…" She demurely murmured.

The room erupted into cheers as the girls hurried to unpack the rest of the suitcases.

Mia stopped them right when they reached the second to last box. "Please don't touch those two, they don't contain clothing but some important articles my father left for me when he died,"

The maids nodded and apologized as the blushed.

Mia smiled once more. "Anyways, I shall call Mrs. Becker up and see if could find a place to put some of these clothing…"

~*~*~*~*~

Having gotten everything settled, Mia glanced at her pocket watch as the carriage lumbered slowly to their destination. Once she got a whiff of something, she knew that they were close to the stalls. Leaning back happily, she giggled to herself. She would enjoy France and everything that it offered. She knew this wouldn't be forever so she couldn't waste her thoughts on the days to come…she would enjoy what was happening now to every last drop. The reason she hadn't wanted to join the French season was because if she were to become courted [which seemed a silly idea to Mia at the time, and still seemed silly], she would have to explain her circumstances. It was much to embarrassing for Mia to relate to anyone so she decided that she'd enjoy the city views and it's popular areas. The carriage rumbled to a stop as Mia got out and sniffed the crisp air. She looked at many of the mares and stallions galloping around the stalls and sighed contently. France would be her home for who knew how long…and she loved it.

~*~*~*~*~

2 Months Later…

Lord Farring threw down his cards and looked at his blue haired opponent. "Yer cheatin'!"

"I beg your pardon?" The man replied as he stood up angrily. "I have never cheated nor will I ever."
"Yer cheatin'!" Lord Farring repeated, drunk. He laughed hoarsely. "And I don't give a damn…I'm going to lose, lose and keep on losing and when I die, that blasted wife of mine will have to deal with my debts," He scribbled on a piece of paper. "Here's my voucher…"

The Marquess of Balogh, Rowan Hashiba looked at the piece of paper in his hands. He couldn't believe he'd won well over five thousand pounds from the Baron alone. The amount of money and what Lord Farring had said as the game concluded disturbed him greatly. It was no secret that the marriage between Farring and the cit had only lasted a night before she was sent away packing. Her stepmother, Elaine, had been acting like a Jezebel, practically throwing herself at every young man.

Rowan shuddered as he remembered one scene where the blond chit threw herself at him and started smothering him with kisses. He had shoved her away and stormed off but his friend, the Earl of Carew had laughed every time it was mentioned.

"You's has a strange name," Lord Farring drawled as he laid his head on the table, staring up at Rowan.

Rowan looked at the drunken man. He wondered whatever possessed him to come out and play with this man. Lord Farring's marriage had made him a rich man but for these past two months, the idiot had been throwing it all away instead of investing it and allowing it to grow. After hearing what Farring said, Rowan felt sorry for the girl.

"That stupid slut wife of mine ran off with the footman…" Lord Farring hiccupped as if reading Rowan's thoughts.

Rowan rolled his eyes. He didn't believe that one bit. He had met Lord Farring's wife at their wedding and she had obviously been forced into the marriage without her consent. But if she had said anything, she'd be ruined…no proper lord or cit would take her as a wife. They'd see her as a doxy waiting to be bed. She had been the most polite person, yet she did not seem as if she was altogether there. Rowan stuffed Lord Farring's gaming voucher in his navy blue tailored waistcoat pocket. Nodding his head, he strolled off, every bit the Corinthian that he was.

~*~*~*~*~

Lord Farring snarled as he lost another hand. Losing purposely plus the scandal that had arisen embarrassed him greatly. It wasn't his fault that his wife left him. He only asked for all of her money but she, being the stupid chit that she was, refused him. He pounded the table and threw the cards down, looking at the Asian man across from him. "You stupid man! Deuce take it! You cheated!"

Kento Rei Fuan, a Chinese aristocrat that had come to England as one of his travel spots shot up from his seat. "What did you say?" He thundered in perfect English.

"You heard me…you…cheatin' foreign!" Lord Farring burped and laughed out loud.

Kento's eyes turned hard. "State your choice of weapon, we'll meet tomorrow at dawn over at Banterbary Hills."

"Ohhh…now the cheatin' bastard is challenging me…you'd lose in a heartbeat." Lord Farring sneered as he downed another glass.

Sai Mouri, Viscount of Marcheale, came over and pulled his enraged friend's arm. "He's in his cups, it's best if you leave the man alone. He's not right in the head,"

"Oh I see now, your little friend coming to help ya?" Lord Farring scoffed. "Have you chosen your second yet?"

Kento tugged his arm away from Sai's. "If he will be my second, of course,"

Sai shook his head. "I refuse to take any part in this bloodshed," He backed away.

A man with black hair and tiger blue eyes watched the scene. "I'll be your second then,"

"Your Grace," Kento bowed respectfully to the Duke of Vermilion.

Ryo chuckled. "No need for titles and such, buddy," His eyes glittered dangerously at the man. "Who will be your second?"

"Why Viscount of Lawrence. Who else?" The drunk man bellowed.

Sai shook his head. The Viscount of Lawrence was just as nasty as the drunk man before them. He stepped away as a blond haired, violet eyed and a blue haired, blue eyed [the man who had been playing the Baron earlier on], came up.

"What's going on?" The blond man said.

"Lord Farring is in his cups again…" Sai replied.

The two nodded.

"It would be my pleasure to remove your foreign ass from English soil!" Lord Farring hiccupped again.

Kento surged towards him but Ryo, who knew his friend's temperament, quickly held the big guy back as he shouted at the three men behind him for assistance.

"Got you all riled up in yer panties eh?" Lord Farring belched and laughed stridently.

Kento shrugged off the four men and glared at him. "Shut your trap and meet me tomorrow at dawn. Will it be pistols or swords?"

"Hmm…pistols, better to kill you faster then to draw it out," The bald Baron chuckled to himself.

"You've got it," Kento muttered before storming off with his friends in tow.

~*~*~*~*~

Lord Farring walked up to the pistol and looked arrogantly into the Chinese man's eyes. Pointing the gun at Kento, he made a motion as if to shoot him, and winked, blowing off imaginary smoke from the pistol.

Kento was enraged by cold fury. People like Lord Farring should've been dead long ago. Loading the bullets in his gun, he smirked as Ryo came up behind him.

"I know you're a good shooter but be careful, Lord Farring is a very sneaky fellow," Ryo whispered to his friend as they both stared at the other two men who were conversing with each other.

"Don't worry, I know what I'm doing," Kento replied curtly as he walked to the other side of the field.

"Five steps and then we fire!" Lord Farring shouted from the other side.

Kento and Ryo nodded curtly.

Three figures appeared in the horizon on horseback.

"Here comes Sage, Sai, and Rowan," Ryo murmured as he shielded his eyes from the morning sun. "Hello," he greeted them.

Sage, Earl of Carew, looked over at Kento's opponent. "Kento, I know you want to kill this man, but just wound him. He has a wife you know,"

Rowan snorted. "I doubt the wife would miss him greatly…hell, England wouldn't even miss the man,"

"Rowan's right…but just in case, wound the man. If you get caught for killing someone, you could be exiled," Sai added.

"Not to mention it'd add more tension before the Chinese and English relationship," Kento murmured as he walked towards the middle of the field. Standing back to back with Lord Farring, "I wish you the best of luck,"

"Me?!" The man snorted. "You'll need the luck! Did I tell you I'm a perfect shot?"

Kento rolled his eyes as they started counting. At four, he heard a large bang and something whizzed by arm, grazing it painfully. He dropped to the ground, counted five and turned his gun at the opponent, shooting straight at the crazy man.

When his bullet hit Lord Farring, the man died instantly.

~*~*~*~*~

"Oh dear…" Sai muttered as they hurried towards the fallen man. Even Kento, one arm clutching his bloody arm, had gotten up and was running towards the fallen man.

"He's dead," Lord Lawrence snarled. "You bloody bastard, you killed him!"

A few people who had gotten wind of the duel, had come to the Hills to watch. Many hurried towards the fallen man, all congratulating Kento on his perfect shot. It was no secret that Lord Farring was a nasty man.

"I saw the duel," One man began. "Your friend cheated, Lawrence, there's no denying it. I think much of England will be glad when they hear about Lord Farring's death,"
Viscount Lawrence snarled once more as he stood up, brushing his turquoise jacket. "Blasted hell, I'll see you in the gallows for this, Rei Fuan!" He shouted before turning away.

"Well, we better contact his wife," Sai said as he closed Lord Farring's soulless eyes.

Rowan plucked a gaming voucher from his pocket and looked at it. "I doubt this is really all that useful,"

Kento sighed. He didn't want it to come to this. He would make his apologies to the Lady Farring as soon as he could. But right now, he needed to snuggle with a nice bottle of port…he also needed to get his arm looked at. It stung like a mother, it did.

~*~*~*~*~

The Lady Farring, had been sitting in the sunroom, sipping a cup of tea while reading the daily news; she had been very peaceful and content the last two months. When someone knocked at the door, she lifted one head at the door, "Come in," She called.

Mr. Becker, who had been made butler of the household, smiled happily. Ever since he became butler, he could not stop smiling. Presenting a silver tray containing a letter, he bowed to the lady. "How do you do Lady Mia?"

"Very well, you know, I am enjoying this new brew of tea Mrs. Fyra made…" Setting down the cup of tea and her papers, she took the letter from the tray and broke the seal.

Scanning over the letter, her eyes furrowed into one of deep concentration. It wasn't that she was having a hard time reading, it was because of the contents. As she finished, she repressed the feeling of pure elation that rose in her chest and set it down, her conscience badgering her for such thoughts. Looking at Mr. Becker straight in the eye, she smiled slightly. "Please tell the house to please pack up, we are moving back to London,"

~*~*~*~*~

Mia was busy that day. She had to collect new dresses from the French modiste that she visited and then find a way to transport her beloved horses from the stalls and back. Entering a small shop, she grinned as she saw her friend. "Mara,"

"Milady!" Mara murmured happily as she dropped her scissors and line of thread. Smoothing down her graying hair, she hurried over to the tall brown-haired girl, she hugged her. "How are you doing?" She asked, her voice with a small hint of a French accent.

"Oh don't give me that 'milady' nonsense…" Mia's eyes crinkled at the corners as she smiled. "I do have some bad news though…"

"Mon coeur…This sounds most serious, what happened?" Mara asked as she seated Mia in a plush chair.

"My husband has died," Mia started.

Mara blinked. "That certainly doesn't seem like bad news…"
"But it seems that I must go back to England," Mia murmured.

"Oh…" Mara bit her lip. "Then let me give you some dresses as a going away present, mon amis,"

Mia shook her head. "Oh no, I know you work so hard on those dresses…it wouldn't be right to take one from you,"

"Oh pish posh," Mara hugged her friend. "Don't forget about me alright?"

"Of course not!" Mia was shocked that her friend could even suggest something like that.

"Well, if you won't let me give you a dress, let me give you a copy of my designs. I know your style better then anyone else," The French woman said as-a-matter-of-factly. She heaved a large book towards Mia. "Now, I want you to show these to no one…Most if not all of these drawings contain my new design. It will make you la belle de la saison."

Mia chuckled. "I am not an incomparable as you hold me, but thank you very much for the compliments…as for these drawings," She blinked back a couple of tears. "I could not take your work, truly, you have given me all that I have needed in these past few months,"
"Quoi? You mean those ugly dresses I had made up for you? Non, ma cherie, you shall stand out among those ugly dresses the English woman wears," Mara looked at Mia with tears in her eyes and smiled as she hugged her friend. "Take these, please, it would do me great honor if you did,"

Mia nodded and hugged her friend back, tears rolling down her cheek, "Merci beaucoup Mara…"
"De rien, de rien," Mara said as she held her friend a bit longer. Looking at her young friend, she smiled again. "Now go, I know your carriage is waiting…"

Mia nodded. "I'll write everyday,"

Mara nodded. "And I shall write you too, don't think I won't forget,"

Mia laughed as she wiped away her tears. "I shudder to think of something as horrible as that…"

"Good…now promise me you will never show these patterns to anybody else? I made them especially for you. You shall take London by storm!"
Mia could feel another rush of tears coming. "It means so much alone that you designed them just for me,"

Mara could feel herself starting to well up in the eyes again. "Allez, off with you before you're late,"

Mia hurried towards the door as some of Mara's sewing girls hurried out, carrying boxes. "Thank you Mara, for being my friend,"

Mara nodded and turned away, dabbing at her eyes. Turning back, she noticed that Mia was gone and hurried to the window, watching the carriage disappear in the crowd of the streets. "Salut ma chere fille…"

~*~*~*~*~

Mia wiped her eyes as she opened the book. The book was heavy and had many pages, no doubt about that. She opened to the first page and realized that it was the design of the first dress Mara had created for her. The first afternoon that she had appeared at the modiste's place, she felt some sort of connection with Mara and without even looking at any of the designs, she made the place her favorite and Mara her only modiste in town. Mara was a genius with clothing no doubt…She wish she needn't leave France. The people were friendlier. Sighing, she turned and looked out the window. As soon as the household got all packed up, they would leave promptly. The now deceased Baron obviously did not deserve their sympathy.

How long should I mourn for him properly? 6 months? A whole year? Nah…a whole year is too long…perhaps 6 months would be alright… Mia blushed. She was behaving quite badly for a woman, thinking of such bad thoughts for the deceased. But he compromised her, he trapped her in a marriage and he tried to take all her inheritance. She reasoned with herself. Sighing, she put the book on the seat next to her and watched the passing scenery as the carriage made one last stop at her temporary residence before loading up everything. She would make it up to the servants for traveling back and forth with her.

~*~*~*~*~

"Kento, let go of the bottle," Sai demanded as he tugged on the brown thing encased in Kento's arm, careful not to get anywhere near his wounded arm.

"It would be so better if that bastard wasn't married," Kento replied, not a slur in his voice.

Sai finally tugged the bottle free of Kento's grasp but found it to be empty. Signaling for someone to take it away, he sighed as he sat down in a chair close to Kento's. "Does it matter if I told you that most if not all of England somewhat rejoices at it? Of course, there's Lord Lawrence to deal with it but since he was acting as a second to the duel, he can't say much without revealing himself to the magistry."

Kento turned around in his chair, looking bleary-eyed at Sai. "What am I going to say to her?"

"What? Lady Farring?" Kento nodded. Sai scratched his head thoughtfully. "Apologize, that's for sure. However, Rowan said something about how maybe his wife didn't even care about him…there was a scandal a few months back. The damn moron exiled his own wife after one night. Supposedly, she didn't fit his need for passion." He snorted. "He was 39 her senior so perhaps, he didn't fit her need for passion." Stretching his legs, he got up and went to the decanter to pour himself a bottle of brandy. Swirling it around in the glass, he stared in it before downing the whole thing in one gulp. Appreciative of the warm feeling he got throughout his body, he set the glass down and went back to his original seat. "My friend, you should worry about Lord Lawrence…I know the man is a certified dandy but he's a sly one, that he is,"
Kento turned the other way and groaned. "But I was defending myself,"

"And we have 15 different witnesses to concur that…but you know how the society is. You tell someone one story and the next day, it's been edited so much that you can't tell whether it's your story or someone else's. People thrive on gossip…speaking of such stuff, did I tell you what happened with Ryo?" Not even waiting for a response, he started speaking again. "I'll tell you anyways old chap. You see, it seems like Lady Garwich has tried to compromise him into a marriage."

"The old one? Ew…" Kento's nose scrunched up.

Sai shook his head and shuddered. "Deuce no! The younger one…her daughter Emileen?"

"That brown one?"

"Yes, yes, the brown one. Anyways, Lady Emileen had arrived over at Ryo's early in the morning with nothing but a chemise on…well, she had a cloak over it but that's beside the point. It seems that Lady Emileen was to sneak up through the servants back quarter into His Grace's rooms and then Lady Garwich, the old one, would call and announce herself a moments later…the servants say that she was to slyly walk past the door, notice her daughter and the Grace together…thus sealing Ryo's fate to a match-making mama and her daughter."

Kento shrugged. "Ryo's a rake of the first order, he's done some things and many other things have been done to him…how was this any different?"

Sai rolled his eyes. "Not at all, Ryo was able to escape but this time, he didn't even need to escape, it just happened. It was on the morning when Ryo went out early to second your duel,"

At the mention of the duel, Kento groaned.

"Oh come on, don't you think it's somewhat hilarious when the servants told Lady Garwich that the master wasn't there and then when they heard screaming from Ryo's room, they found Lady Emileen trapped to a corner with White Blaze snarling at her?" Sai chuckled. "I do admire that tiger,"

Kento got up and adjusted his breeches. Dressed in a navy blue waistcoat with a white pristine shirt under it, he tore off his perfect cravet styling the fashionable waterfall and proceeded out of the room. "You're acting more and more like a dandy these days you know that?"

"Deuce take it, I am not. I am every bit a Corinthian as you are," Sai stood up, unintentionally showing his perfect appearance. His burgundy-red waistcoat was adorned with gold buttons and instead of a cravet styled in a waterfall, it was styled as the mathematician. His breeches were black and his Hessian boots were shined so well that one could see their face in it. In the center of his cravet was a beautiful ruby, matching his red outfit.

"You look like you're going off to war,"
"And fight for that fat ass? No chance in hell my man, no chance in hell. Prinny should get all his debts covered before dragging England into another war, that's what I think. Besides, aren't their uniforms bright red? I daresay that I know I asked for a burgundy colored coat from my tailor…Does it really look that bright?"

End Prelude: Part 2