Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Saving a Soul ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]
A/N: After reading Snow Mia and the Seven Chibis, someone suggested I do more parody fairytales. So, I tried. Cinderella, to be precise. And it sucked much ass, far beyond my many, many suckass fics I've churned out. (Possibly because I was trying to be nice to Kayura. She's just such an easy target.)

No idea why I used Japanese names, it just felt right.. It's loosely- *very* loosely- based on Beauty and the Beast. It's very poetic, and likely the closest thing to an actual poem I'll ever write.

*******************************

Once, a young man named Shuten was given a great gift, and a great curse. As years went by, the curse prevailed, and the gift of his armor grew dimmer and dimmer. The nature of the armor became a part of him, crushing his humanity, turning him into a beast, a monster.

Eventually, all he had left was his hatred, his anger, and Cruelty. Always the Cruelty, always there, consuming his soul.

Until one day, he saw an angel.

The 'angel', Nasuti if truth be told, had been given the promise of any present by her aging grandfather. She'd asked for nothing but to live in Japan with him and assist him with his work. From the moment she'd first seen the menacing armored figure, some powerful intuition had told of a deeper meaning, hidden depths. After the death of her grandfather, she felt honor-bound to continue his work of helping the Troopers, while her dreams were haunted by a certain enigmatic warrior.

And time passed, and the one she'd considered a most dangerous enemy proved to be a trustworthy ally. Her intution would no longer be ignored, and from the day he saved her on, they became friends, learning from each other. A mutual love of reading provided conversation. Day by day, he felt something he'd long thought dead awakening within him. A mortal far greater than an angel, as beautiful on the inside as she was on the outside, was changing him.

With her devoted yet denied love, she drew him back from the Abyss and breathed life and hope back into his shattered soul. He once again lived life, rather than merely existing as he had for so long. He tasted his food, as he hadn't in decades; did things he enjoyed, as he hadn't in centuries.

But most of all, he was with her, their friendship growing, blossoming, yet always avoiding a final step.

And then, the arrival of one who was as lost he'd been. Duty and honor twisted together, bringing them far from the safety of the brief utopia.

If Death had a physical form, he'd have walked that field, refusing to leave without a victim.

Taking a last look at his love, their eyes met, and the words left unsaid were painfully clear to them both.

A noble, heroic action.. Cruel beast banished.. Humanity reclaimed.. And finally death, contradicted by love living on.