Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ The Little Sea Ronin ❯ Chapter 2

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Whoo-hoo! You wanna see what happens next?!! Domo Arigatou for coming back!!! Enough yakking! On with the fic!

The Little Sea Ronin
By Sakura
Part Two

Sai swam as fast as he could dodging the many predatory creatures that had mysteriously left him alone while with the eel. Once he had made it across the border, he stopped, panting trying to catch his breath. After a few minutes of rest, the merboy then dashed off for the shore where he had left Ryo.

Hoping his love would be there today, and soon, Sai dragged himself out of the sea and onto the warm sand careful to stay near the boulders in case any humans came by. Once he was comfortably leaning against one, Sai looked at the crystal bottle he held in his hands, its dark liquid seeming to suck up all the light.
What was he doing? came a tiny voice in his mind. This was madness! it continued. It was obvious that the liquid was a poison of some sort. He ought to get rid of it and go home and get his voice back. Sai politely told that voice to shut up. He had come this far and knew it was too late to go back now. He took a deep, shaky breath and pulled the top off the bottle. A rancid stench reached his nose. Poison! I told you so! said the voice again.
Thinking it was better to die now than live in shame, for everyone he knew would laugh at him for being such a damned fool, the merboy wrinkled his nose and took a great big swig of the disgusting stuff.
It burned! A heat akin to that of molten lava raged across his tongue and done his throat. Coughing soundlessly, he wiped his mouth with the back of his hand before drinking the last drops of the noxious liquid, not wanting to poison anything else. As the fire burned through his body, Sai began to feel the pain the sea magician had warned him of. Except, it wasn't pain it was pure, unadulterated agony. His skin itched, his insides burned and his tail hurt like nothing before.
Unable to take his eyes off it, Sai stared in mute wonder and fear as the tail suddenly split painfully in half. He was grateful that the magician had taken his voice for he was sure the humans would have heard him from miles around as he screamed from the torture he was in. After a few more moments, the pain was slowly subsiding and the itch in his skin was more concentrated in what was left of his tail, which was slowly forming into two very human, though scaly, legs. Unable to take the incessant itching any longer, Sai took both hands and scratched the newly formed legs. Horrified and amazed at the scales he was now holding in his hand, he stared at them marveling at the way they sparkled in the sunlight. Glancing down at his legs, he saw smooth pink skin where he had scratched. Understanding now what had happened, he went back to work removing the rest of the scales until he had cleared his legs completely.
Exhausted from the pain and exertion, the merboy, now turned human fell unconscious against the border, his pale skin glowing in the moonlight.

*****

Something wet and rough was rubbing against his cheek and it was beginning to annoy him greatly. Cranking an eye open while trying to slap the annoying wet thing away, he saw a great big black and white furry face in front of his. Gasping, he scrambled, or at least tried to, away from this strange creature only to fall flat on his back.
Looking at the boulders he was leaning against, he remembered what had happened. The eel, meeting the sea magician, the pain from the transformation. Sai groggily sat up eyeing the creature warily. It was now sitting on its haunches watching this strange human who smelled like fish. Sai started to say something to it, but remembered he longer had a voice and sighed instead.
"You're really in deep this time aren't ya, kiddo?" came a very welcome voice. Rowan was sitting on top of one of the boulders staring at his best friend's new body. "Geez, Sai! I can't believe you went and did that! Yer either completely nutzo or completely gone ova that guy."
Sai could only smile sadly at the air spirit once he figured out how to crawl with two legs.
"Well aintcha got nothing ta say?" asked Rowan slightly perplexed by his friend's sudden silence. Sai could only shake his head, gesturing to his neck. He leaned closer and saw the faint scar he'd missed before. "Oh Sai, what have ya done?"
Sai sighed once more then quickly check to see if the creature was still around. He was and was rather intently watching them never moving. Actually he didn't know what to make of the blue haired newcomer and was trying to figure out what he exactly was. The auburn haired boy smiled nervously at it, hoping it would get bored and leave.
"I don't think he's gonna eatcha, Sai," said Rowan with a smile, noticing his friend's uneasiness with the tiger. "Hey! Isn't that the critta that was on the ship with that guy ya were mooning ova?"
Sai mentally hit himself for being an utter idiot. The air spirit was right! He had seen that creature with his beloved Ryo before and had seen it last on the day he slept on the beach. Gesturing frantically for Rowan to leave or something, he thanked whatever gods who happened to be listening.
"All right. All right, Sai. I get the picture. I'm leavin', but I'll be around ta keep an eye on ya, o.k.?"
The other boy nodded then smiled as his ethereal friend vanished from sight.
"Hey 'Blaze! Where are you? Here Whiteblaze! Where is that crazy cat?"
He knew whose voice that was. Though he only heard it twice before, Ryo's voice had rung in his ears over the past few days. He would have leapt over the boulders and flung himself into the black haired boy's arms, but a merboy new to being on human legs was no athlete.
The 'cat' in question got up upon hearing his human's voice and bounded beyond the boulders. He HAD to show Ryo what he found. As he came around the corner, he jumped nearly knocking the young man over.
"Geez 'Blaze. I take you for a walk and you run off on me. Again. What is it with you and the beach anyway?" Ryo could never figure out his pet's fascination with the sandy stretch of land near the castle.
The tiger licked his face apologetically then got off Ryo and tugged at the boy's sleeve. "Huh? What is it boy? Find something?"
Whiteblaze ran ahead a few steps, then stopped, turning to look at Ryo. Understanding his tiger wanted him to follow, the human began to walk towards the boulders they were headed for.
'Isn't this where Sage 'n' Kento found me?' he thought, recognizing the large stones. The memory of a person with auburn hair and a soft, soothing voice came to him as he got near. 'I wonder who it was who saved me. I'd like to thank them.'
Feeling a tug at his side, Ryo snapped out of his private reverie and let the tiger lead him around to the other side of the rocks. He let out a gasp. Leaning against one boulder was a very naked, though kinda cute boy. "Um... hi. Are you all right?" he asked trying not to stare too much at the unclothed body before him. The boy smiled and nodded. He struggled to get on his feet only to have Ryo catch him before he fell.
Sai was in heaven. Here he was, being held by the one person he so wanted to see and he wasn't about to let go. He put his head on Ryo's shoulder, content to stay like that forever.
Bewildered by the boy's strange behavior, Ryo stiffened once he realized he was holding a naked boy in his arms and quickly helped him stand straight. "Can you walk?" he asked. When he got no answer, he pressed on. "Were you in a shipwreck? You sure look it."
Ryo let go of the boy, much to Sai's dismay, and he tried balance himself on his new pair of limbs. After a few more tries, he finally got the knack of standing on his own. Seeing that the stranger could now stand without help, Ryo removed his cape and handed it to him. "Here, you can use this until we get back. Not sure what to do with the strange thing he'd been given, Sai stared at it then at the human before him. "It's all right. You can keep it if you like," Ryo said smiling. He had thousands of capes, the loss of one wouldn't hurt. The boy nodded his thanks and attempted to figure out what to do with it. The merpeople never wore clothes so he had no idea what it was.
"Guess you don't have capes where you come from. Here lemme help," the black haired boy said then quickly covered him with the fabric. "Best keep it closed until we get you some clothes. We don't want to frighten any of the ladies." Ryo smirked at the reaction a nude boy would get as he passed through the streets of the city.
Sai stared as Ryo put the cape around him and showed him how to hold it closed. 'So this is what this is for. Strange that humans cover theirselves with such strange things,' mused the merboy. The cape felt heavy, yet warm and smelled of Ryo. He held the fabric closer to his body wanting to have the handsome human's scent all around him.
"C'mon. I'll take you back to the castle and you'll be able to get some clothes." Not waiting for an answer, Ryo strode in the direction he'd come from. Sai tried to make the legs move in the way Ryo's did, but every time he did, he lost his newly gained balance and fell. Hearing a soft thud behind him, the black haired boy turned to see the strange boy lying flat on his face in the sand. "Are you o.k.? Here let me help you. Why didn't you tell me you can't walk?"
Sai gestured to his throat indicating a tiny scar he hadn't noticed before. "What happened to you? Did pirates do this?" he asked. Ryo had heard many reports of pirates slitting the throats of their victims once they had been robbed. He figured that this boy was one such victim and must have been thrown into the ocean and left for dead. "Gee I'm sorry." Realizing the boy's current situation, he gingerly picked him up and started carrying him towards his palace. As he carried him, Ryo found him to be amazingly light and he still smelled of the ocean even though the salt water had dried off him long ago.
Sai took the opportunity to snuggle against Ryo's chest and nuzzle against his neck, taking in as much of the smoky scent as possible.
'Poor guy. Must've been through hell,' Ryo thought on the way home. He noticed the boy he was carrying had auburn hair the same shade he remembered of, but since he couldn't speak, Ryo dismissed the thought that this could be the savior he was searching for. He sighed quietly when he saw his 'cargo' had fallen asleep.
Beside him, Whiteblaze strode with an uncannily smug expression on his face. The tiger had taken a liking to the boy who smelled of fish and was ecstatic that his human was taking him home.

*****

Over the past two months, Sai came to love his life with Ryo and the humans in Wildfire as he slowly became accustomed to living as one of them. Unable to find where he came from, or who he was; Sai had feigned amnesia; Ryo and his friends decided to let him live at the castle with them, which of course, made Sai extremely happy. He never left the prince's side and Ryo was glad for the company for some reason, he had grown extremely fond of the mute boy.
They had spent hours together as Ryo taught him everything about the kingdom of Wildfire and its customs. He even taught him to read and write as well. Though, Sai never could get the knack of writing and constantly spilled ink or messed up the brushstrokes for writing in kanji. Ryo was a patient teacher and had once spent a whole day with him so he could write at least Ryo's name however never once asked him to write his own.
Rowan, of course, was true to his word and occasionally visited Sai whenever Ryo was busy with whatever a prince does and his 'guardians' were likewise occupied. They'd 'talk' of what he had done since they last seen each other or whatever just happened to pop into their minds. Sai was glad to keep at least ONE friend from his former life no matter how much he liked Sage and Kento and especially Ryo.

Sai lay on his ultra-soft bed and stared at the painted ceiling. Everything in the room was in shades of blue and green. The floor however was tiled in granite to give it the feel of sand. To him the room resembled his abandoned home. It would occasionally make him homesick, but Ryo would soon make him remember why he'd run from home in the beginning.
Unable to sleep, he got up and crept down the hall and into Ryo's room. He'd done this so often that none of the servants said anything when they saw him sneaking into the prince's room late at night. Carefully shutting the door behind him, Sai tiptoed to the bed and climbed in next to Ryo's sleeping form. Instead of just wrapping his arms around the black haired boy's waist as he usually did when he slept there, he used what little courage he was able to muster and finally do what he wanted to since the day he became a human. Sai leaned over the prone body and kissed Ryo's slightly open mouth, half praying he wouldn't wake up and the other half praying he would.
Feeling something soft and wet pressing against his lips, Ryo slowly woke up. Someone was kissing him! Finding he liked the kiss, he gently cupped the head of whoever it was kissing him and began to kiss back.
Sai smiled when he felt Ryo return the kiss as he held his head to his. Wanting Ryo to see who he was kissing, he reluctantly broke the kiss and lit a candle on the stand by the bed.
"Fish?!" Ryo said in surprise, recognizing the figure revealed by the candlelight.
Since he never asked Sai to write his name and Ryo and his friends were terrible at lip reading, he'd gotten into the habit of calling him his 'little fish' or just 'Fish' since he always smelled of the ocean no matter how many baths he had. Sai adored the nickname, for him whenever Ryo said it had become the most beautiful word in the world to him.
Feeling ashamed and rejected, Sai made to leave only to have Ryo grab hold of him so they were face to face. "It's all right, little fish. I-I think I know what you were trying to say," he stammered, blushing. During the initial shock, the black haired prince was forced to realize what he'd felt towards him since the first night Sai crept into his bed. "I guess I'm lonely too." Sai blinked in puzzlement. How could someone be surrounded by all those servants and have two wonderful friends such as Sage and Kento be lonely? "What I'm trying to say, Fish, is... that I... I..." Why couldn't he get those damned words out? "Aw hell! I-I love you too!" he finally blurted out, quickly turning away to hide his reddened face.
Not believing his ears, Sai stared at the other boy. "I... I think you're beautiful. The most beautiful fish to come to Wildfire," Ryo said kissing him shyly. Sensing no resistance, Ryo got his courage back and began to kiss him hungrily. The auburn haired boy was more than happy to accept. Sai needed no more assurance and went back to doing what he started that night.

Hours later, Sai was still in Ryo's bed, the prince's body next to his. Rolling onto his side, the auburn haired boy reached around Ryo's waist and held tight. Smiling, Ryo kissed the other boy's forehead. "I love you, little koi. Forever," he said understanding perfectly what his mute lover was saying in that tight embrace.
Sai sighed happily and continued to hold him as they drifted back to sleep.

*****

Rajura slammed his fist into the pool, angry his plans for the little merprince were not going as he wanted.
"Something wrong, Rajura-sama?" Naaza asked with thinly disguised amusement.
"That idiot! He actually was stupid enough to fall for our little fish," replied the sea magician. He was practically fuming. Naaza could have sworn he could see smoke coming from his master's ears.
"Back to the drawing board, as these humans say, ne?" The white haired man's fist moved so fast, that his green haired servant never saw it coming as it painfully connected with his jaw. "Forgive me master, I meant no disrespect." Naaza cowered before him, he knew he couldn't beat him as long as he had his magic.
"I'll not give up on such a pretty prize, Naaza. I seems I'll have to take matters into my own hands." Stroking a pearly pink clamshell around his neck, Rajura silently smirked and vanished into the darkness.

*****

As the weeks drew on, Sai had been permanently moved into rooms that connected to Ryo's, not that he actually needed them. For he spent all his nights in his love's. The two tried to keep their relationship a secret, but Sage could see what had happened between them and was actually happy for his friend though a bit sad at the inevitable outcome.
The queen, Ryo's mother was not aware of the true depth of her son's relationship with his new friend, but she could sense that her son was spending far too much time with him instead of doing what he should be doing, which was finding a suitable bride and settling down.
She had given up all hope on her wayward son when a traveling princess from the far off kingdom of Toyama came seeking the hand of Prince Ryo. She had pale skin similar to Sage's and long auburn hair a shade lighter than Sai's and wore a soft pink gown that showed off her 'assets'. Kento had his jaw hanging on the floor of the hallway as she passed by to the throne room. After she had passed through the doors, he let out a low whistle.
"That's one babe I wouldn't mind hanging onto me," he said going back to the errands Ryo and Sai had asked him to do.
She explained she had seen the prince at the resort he vacationed a few months ago and had fallen madly in love with him. The queen, of course, was overjoyed to see that there were still eligible women for her son, but she had told the young woman not to expect the results she hoped for.
Smiling, the princess curtsied. "I am most certain I'll be able to make his highness realize he needs a woman in his life, your majesty," she said in Sai's voice, furtively fingering a clamshell pendant.
"If you can indeed persuade our son to marry you, Princess Mia, not only will you have our blessing, we will gladly give you away at the ceremony," said the queen.
"You are too kind, your majesty." With that she curtsied again and gracefully left the throne room. Her majesty silently prayed the princess would succeed.

*****

The next few days were absolute hell for Ryo. He was running out of excuses to use when he avoided Princess Mia. As far as he was concerned, he didn't even remember seeing her at that resort. He'd rather be staked on the dessert sands and left as a treat for scavengers than marry someone he didn't even know.
Mia was on the palace terrace overlooking the gardens. She knew that this time, the prince would not be able to get out of this 'date'. His mother had posted guards at the terrace doors with orders to make sure that the prince entered and stayed there until Mia dismissed him.
"That brat is as stubborn as hell," she said quietly as not to alert the guards at her unlady like use of language. "But this time, I've got him for sure. Once I've convinced my little merprince his beloved Ryo never loved him, I'll call off our engagement." The blood colored wine in the glass she was holding reflected the image of a man with long, white hair and one eye covered by an eyepatch. Taking a sip, Rajura pulled out a packet from the dress and poured its contents into the glass opposite him. He daintily placed his glass back in its proper spot and sat patiently, waiting for his 'date' to make an appearance.

*****

Ryo had practically kicked him out of what had become their room to him. He had said that since he was now engaged to Princess Mia, it was time for 'Fish' to grow up and start sleeping in his own bed in HIS OWN room.
Sai was now weeping pitifully on the aforementioned bed in his old room. Ryo had cruelly given the ones connecting his to his fiancée. He never noticed the door opening or the figure who now stood next to the bed. "Poor little, fishy. I warned you, Prince Sai," it said gingerly stroking the auburn hair.
He jumped at the sound of the voice. Before him stood Rajura, the sea magician.
"Yes, it's me little princeling. I've decided to be nice and save you the trouble of finding me again," he said reading his prize's face.
Sai mouthed the question, "How did you know?"
"Have you forgotten already how I learn things, your highness?" The man produced a handkerchief from thin air and began to wipe away the boy's tears. "Such a beautiful creature doesn't deserve to be treated this way." Silently thanking him, Sai blushed. "Do you remember the promise you made me?" he asked. Sai solemnly nodded. "Good. Be ready to leave by tonight after the announcement. I shall return here for you." Sai said nor did anything as he watched the magician fade and disappear.

*****

Sage did not like the sound of that one bit. He hadn't meant to eavesdrop, he was on his way to talk to the boy when he heard a strange man's voice. Who was talking to Fish and what did he mean by a promise? 'At least I found out his name,' he thought as he knocked on the door.
"S-Fish, it's Sage can I come in?" asked the ever polite blond, catching himself not wanting his friend to know he had heard. Hearing no answer nor the other man's voice, he cautiously entered.
In the middle of the bed, the auburn haired boy sat, leaning against the headboard. His knees were drawn up to his chest, his arms wrapped around them and a pitiful look on his face. There was no sign that any other person had been in the room. Dismissing it as his imagination, Sage closed the door and sat on the bed next to him.
"I don't understand it either," he said placing an arm around the redhead's shoulders. "I know Ryo better than anyone and I can't believe he'd treat the most important person in his life this. If you'd like, I'll go talk to him. And if he doesn't apologize, I'll make sure he does all right?"
Sai smiled sadly. It'd be just a waste of time, for once Ryo announced his engagement to Princess Mia, he'd be out of his life and no one'd have to bother with him ever again. Who was he kidding?! He LOVED Ryo! He needed to hear him calling him all the nicknames he'd been given. He needed to feel Ryo's arms around him and revel in the smoky scent that seemed to cling to the dark haired prince.
Somehow sensing what he needed, Sage tenderly pulled Sai onto his lap and cradled him as he were still a child. The boy began to weep silently as the blond began stroking his back and making soothing, cooing sounds.
'Ryo had better apologize or else! Kento and I will never forgive him if he doesn't repair the damage he's done,' vowed Sage.

*****

Sai paced the room furiously. He couldn't believe it! That sneaky sea magician had the nerve to not only pretend to be a girl, but use HIS voice as well. No one had the eyes to see through Rajura's illusions except him. He'd caught a glimpse of the white haired man reflected in the mirrors lining the ballroom as 'Princess Mia' danced with his Ryo.
There was a sudden chill in the air and the one person he hated more than anything appeared before him. "What's wrong, little fish? It's time to go," he said. Sai refused to budge. "I see. You still wish to remain here, shackled to a human who'll only cast you away again."
Sage had secretly followed Sai to his room, concerned the 'voice' he heard would return. Upon hearing what he feared, he stealthily opened the door. Inside, Sai's arm was in the tight grasp of a man with long, white hair, whose back was thankfully to him. Drawing a magical dagger he found on the dresser next to his bed one day, and crept up behind the stranger. (Actually it was gift from a certain air spirit, but that's another story. 8-P)
"You made a promise, my dear boy. And you're going to keep it," Rajura snarled, determined to have the bait he needed. "I admit I disguised myself as that princess, but I had to show you how fickle these humans are. Now, c... urk!"
The magician looked to his throat and saw a rather sharp, rather magical dagger poised against it. "I don't think he wants to go anywhere. Especially with you!" said Sage who now had a firm grip on the dagger.
"You'd had better stay out of this, little guardian. This does not concern you."
"If it threatens Sai's happiness, it most certainly concerns me! Now back off!" he warned, pressing the dagger hard against his throat. Hard enough to draw a thin line of blood.
Rajura was pissed! How dare this HUMAN threaten him! But he sensed the power hidden in the seemingly harmless dagger and knew it was actually capable of killing him, after all it had drawn blood. There was no weapon made by humans that could kill him unless it was made with magic and very few humans actually used magic these days. He had no choice but to release his grip on the former merprince.

Ryo had been feeling guilty for some reason and headed for Fish's room. Once there he paused when he heard voices.
"Now you are going to tell me exactly what you did to Ryo to make him dump Sai," came Sage's voice. What was he talking about?
"I don't have to tell you anything, little man," said a voice unknown to him. There was a slight choking sound then the voice spoke up again. "All right, you've made your point. I just put a mild love potion into the prince's wine. It should be wearing off any moment now. Can I go now?"
Love potion in his wine? He hardly drank the stuff. The last time he had wine before tonight was when his mother forced him to have a romantic meal with his fiancée on the palace terrace. Mia! This man in Fish's room must have given her a potion or something to make him love her. After he was through here, he would confront his so-called fiancée.
"How dare you attempt to poison me and threaten my friend!" Ryo yelled as he burst into the room. Sai backed away from the truly prince, who had his sword drawn.
"Ryo!" Sage said not removing the dagger from the white haired man's throat. "You heard?"
"Yes! Now whoever you are, I want you and 'Princess' Mia gone from this kingdom and never return.
"Oh, I intend to, your highness, but not without my property," he said grabbing hold of the frightened auburn haired boy.
"Fish is not property! You will let go of him now!" Ryo's sword was poised at the stranger's heart.
"I think not," the man smirked and began to fade, causing the boy he held onto fade with him.
"No Sai!" Sage was light a bolt of lightening. Before any of them knew what was going on, the man collapsed onto the sand colored tiles, his throat leaking a blackish blood. Ryo stared at Sage, in his hand a dagger glistened and dripped the same liquid from the unblemished blade. "I'm sorry, Ryo. He was going to take Sai away from us," he said shamefully.
"Who?"
"My name is Sai," 'Fish' had said in Mia's voice. Around his neck was the clamshell pendant he had seen her wear.
"I don't understand what's going on. How come you've got Mia's voice and you're wearing her necklace?" Ryo asked rather perplexed.
"I'm so sorry for deceiving you, love. Believe me I do love you. I nearly sold my soul to be with you," said a rather ashamed Sai.
"That 'man' used magic to fool you into believing he was a woman, Ryo," Sage explained. Ryo stared at the now dead magician and stared in shock as the body began to crumble into what looked like dried up sea foam.
Once he'd found his voice again and his memory returned, Ryo turned to the lover he so cruelly abandoned. "Fish, Sai or whatever your name is, I'm the one who should be sorry. I was a real jerk. Can you ever forgive me?"
"Of course I do!" Sai through himself into the black haired boy's arms and let him hold him as tight as he wanted. Sage discretely left, knowing the two lovers would want privacy.
"Sai, now that you've got your voice back again, I've gotta ask you something," Ryo said kissing his cheek.
"What is it, Ryo?"
"Are you... are you the one who saved me that night when my ship got wrecked?"
"Yes," he said softly.
"I knew it! It had to have been you!" Ryo grabbed both sides of the redhead's head and kissed him deeply. "Thank you," he said breathlessly when he forced himself to break the kiss.
"You're welcome," was all Sai got out before Ryo returned to kissing the love of his life and scooping him off his feet. The former merboy eeped in surprise and let the other boy carry him to his room.

~Owari~

*****

EPILOGUE

The queen was livid. Yet another plan to get her son hitched had failed. Not to mention that she had been fooled into believing that 'Princess' Mia was nothing but a girl. A few days later, once her pride healed, she forced herself come to grips that she may never see any grandchildren and may have to hand the throne over to Sage. He had been named as Ryo's successor once all the hullabaloo over the disappearance of the princess had calmed down.
Ryo was content to spend the rest of his days loving Sai and vice versa.
Sage was happy for his liege lord and friend, but was lonely himself. He could find no one to love like the figure who had haunted his dreams.
Kento lamented the loss of what he'd called 'the babe' but moved on with his life, content to stuff his face, pal around with Sage, Sai and Ryo, and horse around with Ryo's pet tiger.
As for Naaza, when his 'master' failed to return with his 'prize,' disappeared content to do as he pleased wherever fate led him.