Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Truce Between Two Worlds ❯ Prologue

[ P - Pre-Teen ]


"So it's starting all over again," Ryo commented with a frown after Cye and Rowen explained what they had just been told.

"It's better then sitting around doing nothing," Kento pointed out. "That was getting boring."

"There is life other then fighting, Kento," Cye said.

"I'm sorry but it was getting too quiet for me," Kento replied. "I hate just sitting around."

"So do you think Mia might know something about this Ranswolve?" Sage attempted to change the topic.

"I already have her doing some research now." Ryo wrapped his hands around a cup of hot chocolate. The five of them were sitting at the kitchen table in Mia's house. Once they had found Cye they had all headed toward Mia's home, hoping to find some kind of answers to all this mess.

"Speaking of research," Mia greeted as she stepped in carrying an arm full of books and loose ends of paper, "Cye, I found something that might interest you on that village of yours."

"How so?" Cye asked as he lifted his head up from his arms.

"From what I have read Ranswolve was behind the destruction of that village. Apparently in the warlord's prime he had left the Nether Realm and went to the mortal world. This village was one of the many places that Ranswolve had destroyed before Talpa stopped him. Ranswolve was then locked up where he could do no harm to anyone."

"But how could he get out especially if Talpa had locked up this warlord?" Rowen asked his expression one of surprise.

"I don't know, there wasn't anything about it," Mia replied. "The information I got was from an old book and a lot of its pages were missing or too faded to read."

"So this Ranswolve was someone that Talpa even feared?" Ryo questioned.

"The last word we heard was that the warlords were trying to stop Talpa in the Nether Realm," Sage pointed out.

"Maybe Talpa decided to release him for his own uses," Rowen suggested, "Or he found a way out."

"I don't like any of those theories," Cye stated. "I wish I had known about this and I could have asked Sekhmet about this."

"I wouldn't be surprised if we run into those three again," Ryo commented.

Kento squirmed in his chair. Rowen appeared to be lost in thought, his hands cupping his chin. Sage tipped his chair slightly, having crossed his arms behind his head. Cye busied himself by cleaning up the kitchen. Ryo drummed his fingers as he tried to figure out what to do.

*****

The sun was slowly rising as Cye found himself back at the ghost village. He couldn't understand why he was there, but he just felt that he should be there like he was waiting for something to happen or for someone. A chill ran through Cye's spine and goose bumps appeared on his hands and arms. He looked about trying to see if anyone was around. "Any one there?" He called out. Only the sound of the crashing waves answered him. A shadow suddenly fell upon him. Quickly Cye spun around ready to strike out. He was surprised to find Kento standing beside him.

"I thought you would be here," Kento greeted. "I don't plan to leave your side after what happened the last time. I would have gone nuts if I weren't with the others when you disappeared."

Cye smiled. "I'm sorry, Kento. I often questioned our friendship, but what you said just answered any questions I had." The two friends stood side by side watching the ocean waves crash upon the shoreline. Kento cocked his head slightly, trying to put together what Cye had just stated.

"Why would you of all people question our friendship?"

"Well lately since we didn't have a purpose as Ronin Warriors it seemed that we were becoming so tense and that all we did was arguing anymore. It was like our group was falling apart. Slowly I watched, as we all grew distant. I tried to keep a hold of our group along with Mia, but nothing seemed to work."

Cye began walking down the shoreline, his hands stuffed in his jean pockets. Kento followed behind, his hands stretched behind his head.

"Maybe it was because we were all feeling useless now since we had no purpose to fight or stick together. I know that's how I felt," Kento stated. "We just ended up taking out our frustration out on each other."

"That makes sense. Now with Ranswolve on the loose I think we all have a sense of purpose again." Cye then turned around and faced Kento.

Kento grinned. "We managed to defeat Talpa we can defeat Ranswolve. So why are you over here again?"

Cye shrugged. "I'm not really sure. I think there is something about this place that might give us a clue."

"A clue that Mia can't find? That would be a first."

"Well Mia did say that there some pages missing and some others were ruined."

The two friends walked down the shoreline as they talked. The ocean was calm as a soft breeze blew. Further down looked like a small hill of rocks. The rocks looked as if they used to be part of the ocean but had been pulled up and tossed into a pile.

"Interesting," Cye commented. "I wonder if this was here from the battle long ago."

"What is interesting?

"That pile of rocks. That is defiantly not natural."

Kento shrugged as he picked up some stones and began skipping them across the ocean as best he could. The stones didn't go too far due to the waves. Cye's eyes widened while at the same time Kento dropped the few stones he had onto the ground.

The ground began to tremble as the rocks tumbled and cracked. Chains popped out from the pile of rumble followed by a hand as a familiar cry filled the air. "Quake with fear!"

It didn't take Cye and Kento a second thought to call upon their armor. Cye had no clue what was going on as he watched the figure pull himself out of the ruble. Instantly, he thought the person was Anubis for Anubis was the one who wore the Armor of Cruelty. Anubis had died long ago and the armor was passed to Kayura. Kento wore a confused expression.

"Where are you!" the figure yelled. "Come out and fight! Did you honestly think that the pile of rocks would hold me down?"

The voice definitely didn't belong to Anubis. The voice was of a young man. "So you're here to replace Ranswolve. I can easily take the two of you down!" the figure said suddenly spotting Cye and Kento.

"Wait a second, you're fighting against Ranswolve?" Cye questioned.

"You're not working for Ranswolve?" the soldier replied in a hesitant voice.

"We're fighting against him," Cye replied.

"How can I be sure that this is not a trick," the soldier questioned as he watched them with a questioning stare.

"This will have to be your own judgment. We are Ronin Warriors we have been fighting against Talpa and his dynasty. Now Ranswolve has taken their places." Cye tried to gain the soldier's trust. Next to him, Kento remained silent. Hardrock believed that Cye was the one who could earn the soldier's trust. Kento thought that it was because Cye didn't try to hide anything. He didn't care what others thought of who he was.

The soldier's eyes widened. "The legendary Ronin Warriors! Then I can trust you," he replied as he joined the two of them.

Cye smiled. "My name is Cye and my friend here is Kento."

"My name is Toshitada," the soldier answered as once his armor cleared.

Underneath the entire armor was a young man who seemed to be fifteen. He had long dark red hair. His eyes were hazel while his skin was pale. Cye could read no expression in the youth's face. Cye had a feeling that the youth had just recently gained the armor just as they had done when they first started out.
*****

As they entered Mia's apartment the tips of their friends' weapons greeted them. "Easy, guys," Cye stated. "He is with us."

Hesitantly they lowered their weapons. "Anubis is dead. How did he get the Armor of Cruelty?" Ryo immediately questioned. Ryo eyed the new comer with distaste. Toshitada grabbed Ryo by the neck and pinned him to the wall.

"I found the armor just like any of you did," Toshitada haughtily replied as he matched Ryo's intense gaze. "If this is how I'm going to be treated, I might as well just leave and continue the fight on my own." Toshitada's eyes surveyed the rest of the room, his eyes resting on each of the Ronins. He let go of Ryo, not wanting to precipitate an attack. Stopping long enough in Ryo's path to drive his point home, Toshitada turned towards the door.

"Toshitada, don't leave. Give the others a chance," Cye replied, as the youth was about to leave.

"Yes, please stay," Mia, commented. Toshitada studied Mia's face. Mia lowered her eyes under Toshitada's intense gaze. She motioned for him to join them at the table. After pausing for a second Toshitada headed toward the table.

"Forgive my arrogance. My name is Ryo and the others are Sage, Rowen and Mia." Ryo pointed to each of the people he had indicated. Each on nodded as they were introduced. Ryo's smile seemed to be forced. "It is a pleasure to see the Armor of Cruelty among us again."

"How long have you been fighting Ranswolve?" Sage questioned.

"I have been fighting against the Dynasty for over twenty years, mainly in the mortal realm. I just recently was in the Nether Realm where I discovered my armor there. I came back here when I heard that Ranswolve had escaped his prison. I had Ranswolve weakened until he brought everything down on me," Toshitada answered. He looked at each of the Ronins as he spoke, challenging them to question his statement.

"Now that we have you among us I am sure we will be able to stop Ranswolve easily," Rowen commented.

"May I ask who you're ancestors are?" Mia questioned.

Toshitada's eyes clouded. "I know nothing of my past. The only thing I know what to do is that I must fight the Dynasty. If you're done with your interviews I would like permission to step outside for a bit."

Ryo nodded and the youth strode out of the room and stepped out into the small balcony of Mia's apartment.

*****

Immediately a flood of questions followed once the youth had left the room. "Mia, did you know any of this?" Ryo asked

"How can it be possible that someone could obtain the Armor of Cruelty?" Sage questioned

"How is it possible that we didn't know anything about this new Ronin Warrior?" Rowen pointed out.

"I don't know," Mia answered. "This is a big surprise for me too. It had always said there were nine warriors not ten, but then again technically there are still nine warriors. Although, I have to say he does remind me a lot of Anubis." Her eyes seemed distant as if she were some where else. Automatically she began to finger the necklace that held the Jewel of Life and a small ring.

Ryo raised an eyebrow. "Are you trying to say that this Toshitada could be related to him some how?"

"It could explain of how he got the armor," Mia hesitantly suggested.

"The only problem is that Anubis had handed the armor over to Lady Kayura," Rowen stated.

"It doesn't mean that she didn't keep it for long. I think she only kept it long enough to finish the rest of the plan," Mia said.

"I don't know. I don't trust him one bit. What if he really is working for Ranswolve?" Ryo stated. "He could just be lying the entire time."

"I believe he can be trusted," Cye stated. "At first I thought like you did, thinking he could be making this up. I could see it in his eyes that he really meant everything. You just got to give him time to prove his loyalty. If he is related to Anubis he would probably be just as loyal."

"Loyal to us or to Ranswolve?" Sage questioned.

Cye sighed. "If you guys can't trust him then trust me and my decisions."

"I say if Cye trusts him then he's willing to be trusted," Kento said. "He is trust after all."

"Good point, Kento," Mia said. "If Cye is willing to trust Toshitada then I am willing to trust him."

"Then I will too," Rowen replied.

"I'm going to decide for myself," Ryo announced.

"While I will think about this before I make my decision," Sage said.

"I am going to see if my grandfather has anything about this," Mia said and left the room.

*****

Toshitada sat on the balcony that over looked the lake. The moonlight wavered in the water. The place was so peaceful. He wished it could be this way forever. He doubted it would be that way at least not for him. Toshitada often thought of his armor as a curse and a blessing. He was a strong warrior before he found the armor but this armor made him even stronger. That allowed him to fight better against the Dynasty.

At the same time the armor brought him a lot of pain. Each time he seemed to call upon his armor the pain grew stronger. Toshitada tried not to rely on the armor too much, not wanting to bear the pain it brought. Each time he used his armor the pain seemed to get worse. He wondered if the Ronin Warriors had the same problem when they called upon their armor. He had a feeling that it was just he.

Toshitada believed it had to deal with the Dynasty. When Ranswolve came back he was captured by the Dynasty and taken to Ranswolve's castle, which used to be Talpa's. There Ranswolve had tried to persuade him to join him and help him gain control. He refused each time, but with painful consequences. Toshitada managed to escape or maybe he was set free. Whatever the reasons were, it was then the pain started. Before he ever came to the castle he had no problem calling upon his armor. Toshitada sighed.

"It's late, why don't you come inside and get some rest? You're probably hungry too. I can fix you up something to eat if you wish."

The warrior turned around in surprise. He recognized the woman. He unclenched a fist that he hadn't realized he had balled up. "Mia, correct?"

The woman smiled. "Relax a little. They are a really a good bunch of people. Just give them sometime."

Toshitada inclined his head in agreement Quietly he followed Mia inside. He had no clue what to say and at the same time was trying to ignore the pain that ran through his body from having used the armor earlier. Silently he joined the small group. Already the Ronin Warriors were eating as fast as the food was brought to them.

Toshitada found an empty seat next to Cye and Kento. At least those two he felt he could trust. More then likely Cye had left that chair open for him. The warrior warily glanced about the table. He wasn't too surprised to see Ryo glaring up at him. Everyone else appeared to be content, eating. Toshitada noted that Ryo barely touched his meal and was focusing on him. The warrior waited till everyone save Ryo had left the room to confront the Ronin.

"You have something you wish to say. Speak and get it done with," Toshitada said.

"I'm going to tell you now that the only reason why I am even letting you stay is for the fact that Cye trusts you. I don't fully understand why he does, but I don't have one reason to trust you. You claim to fight against the Dynasty and are wearing the armor of Anubis. You still have not given us a clear explanation of how you obtained his armor." Ryo stated as he glared up at Toshitada.

"If I knew myself I would tell you. All I know is that I got it the way you guys have," Toshitada angrily shot back. Toshitada then called his armor off and then handed the yoroi to Ryo. "Go ahead and take it. See if you can find someone whom is fit for this." Toshitada stalked out of the door, quickly disappearing into the shadows of the night.

Baffled, Ryo looked at the door, his eyes wide with his surprise. He was aware that his face had turned a bright shade of crimson red. Hesitantly he allowed himself to look at the yoroi in his hands. "I never expected this..."

"Don't tell me that was Toshitada leaving," Mia stated as she walked hurriedly over to Ryo with a book in her hands.

"Too late...." Ryo mumbled, hanging his head guiltily. He hid the yoroi behind his back. He didn't want Mia to know about this right now.

"Why did you have to scare him off?" Mia questioned. Despite Ryo's attempt to hide the yoroi she still saw it. Mia looked to Ryo for an explanation.

"I was more or less trying to protect my friends, Mia. I couldn't afford to have him suddenly turn around and turn us over to Ranswolve. Surely you can understand that?"

"Yet, you have his yoroi. Isn't that enough proof he only meant no harm?"

"I don't know what to make it of it. It makes no sense."

"Then it will be your job to find him and bring him back. I have a feeling that he will play a major role against Ranswolve. I can't believe that you felt it was necessary to decide if it was his right to wear that armor," Mia stated and stalked back to her room.

*****

"How do I always manage to get myself into these situations?" Ryo muttered.

"If you wait a second, I'll help you find him," Sage suggested as he grabbed a coat.

"Thanks, Sage," Ryo replied as he stepped out the door followed by Sage.

"Whatever made the fool give you his yoroi? That was a stupid move," Sage said in an annoyed tone.

"I don't know, but there was sort of a wild and desperate look in his eyes when he handed me the yoroi," Ryo answered. His spoke in a confused tone, mixed with anger. "Ever since he arrived there has been nothing but trouble, and there has been no progress on why this is happening!" Although his face wasn't the crimson red it was earlier, he still had a flustered look.

"You know, I think Mia's right. He could be related to Anubis somehow. What if he's Anubis' kid? He does look a lot like Anubis... Truthfully, I thought Toshitada was Anubis when he walked in with Cye and Kento..." Sage commented.

"I find it hard to imagine any of the warlords with a family," Ryo smirked.

"Yeah, but we knew nothing of what they were like before Talpa corrupted them. None of them really discussed their pasts either. I think Mia tried to ask Anubis about his at one point, but he would change the topic every time it was brought up." Sage seemed indifferent about the topic. He didn't particularly care too much about the history. They were merely acquaintances to him. He didn't understand why Ryo was getting worked up about this.

"Maybe. The problem is finding out where the fool is."

Out from the shadows a white blur jumped out to greet the two warriors. "White Blaze, I wondered where you were," Ryo said as he bent down the pat the tiger. The tiger rumbled a soft roar. The gigantic cat suddenly turned as if hearing something that the others couldn't, before bolting in the direction of the forest that surrounding the two-story house. "White Blaze, don't you go too!" Ryo shouted. He sighed. "This isn't a good night."

"Wait!" Sage ordered as he saw White Blaze dragging an unconscious Toshitada toward them. Ryo's eyes widened as he ran over to the limp form. "There's not a mark on him. I don't get it." Sage rushed over and began to examine the warrior. Toshitada's face was a pasty white and his breathing was in gasps.

Sage quickly called his armor, hoping that maybe he can heal the warrior. Sage placed his sword on top of Toshitada's chest and closed his eyes.

Sage found himself aware of Toshitada's senses. He gasped, surprised at the intensity of the pain. It seemed to be some kind of poison that was slowly eating the body away. It was a slow poison that only interacted when triggered. What triggered the poison, he wasn't sure. Suddenly the poison began to latch onto him.

Sage screamed out in pain and was sent flying back. Sage moaned as he struggled to sit back up. "I can't do a thing to help him. It's some kind of poison that's causing this pain, which only interacts when triggered. I have no clue what triggers this poison. What surprised me the most was that the poison started to latch on to me."

Ryo picked up the limp form of Toshitada and together they headed back to the house. "If you can't heal him what can we do? I don't think we have much time at all." Ryo anxiously looked at Sage, trying to figure out what to do. This was something out of his league, as much as he hated to admit it. "Mia!" Ryo stood outside the door and yelled up at the window, "Come quick!"

Instantly everyone in the house came toward them. "We managed to find him, but we don't know what is wrong," Ryo explained as Sage helped him lay Toshitada on the couch.

Sage frowned. He wasn't too happy of Ryo pointing that fact out. But at the same time he couldn't understand why he hadn't been able to heal the warrior. He watched as Mia began to examine Toshitada as she tried to figure out what could the problem be. He noticed that the Jewel of Life began to glow. "Mia, I have an idea. Put the Jewel of Life around Toshitada's neck."

"Why would I want to do that? What would that do?" Mia questioned, puzzled by the strange request. The Jewel of Life was their key in helping destroying Talpa. It gave the armor their powers and was hidden by the monks in protection from the Dynasty. Anubis had taken Yulie and her to search for the jewel. She still didn't understand it's connection with Toshitada. Sage merely pointed to the necklace. It was glowing.

Even more confused, but willing to try anything, Mia placed the Jewel of Life around Toshitada's neck. The necklace seemed to glow brighter, its white light filling the entire room."

Color returned to Toshitada's face and he appeared to breathe easier. Toshitada's eyes fluttered open. "Where am I?" he questioned rubbing his temples trying to regain some focus of his eyesight.

"You're among friends." Mia stood over him with a reassuring smile. She never realized how much Toshitada looked like Anubis. He had the same crimson red hair that reached below his shoulders. His eyes were different, they weren't the stunning green that Anubis had.

"How did I get back here?"

"I brought you back," Ryo answered. "That reminds me..." Ryo then walked back to the kitchen where he had placed the yoroi before he gone to find Toshitada. "I think you need this back." Ryo handed Toshitada the yoroi.

"I thought you said you didn't want me among your group?" Toshitada had a puzzled look. Why did Ryo suddenly wanting him back? Was it because of Mia? He frowned.

"I was wrong. Apparently you do belong among us. Especially since White Blaze is the one who brought you back to us."

"I can't take it back. The yoroi doesn't answer to me as it would to you guys." Toshitada glanced away, his voice distant and depressed.

"What are you talking about? We saw you use your armor." Cye was surprised by Toshitada's comment. This wasn't the proud and confident soldier he'd met earlier.

"Does your armor bring you pain every time you call upon it? Does it even cause you pain when you return the yoroi?" Toshitada's gaze fell upon each of the Ronin Warriors as he tried to judge their thoughts. "I thought by giving up the yoroi, I would finally be rid of the pain and the suffering. I was wrong. Instead, it almost killed me. I wish I'd never found this cursed thing."

"The armor shouldn't do such a thing," Rowen stated. "None of the armor has ever caused anyone pain." Perplexed, Rowen glanced at Kento out of the corner of his eye. Kento shook his head in Rowen's direction. "None of the armor has ever caused anyone pain."

"Then why me?"

"If you explain your past it could help us discover what is causing this," Mia said as she bit her lip, wondering if she should tread on this territory.

"I'll figure it out on my own," Toshitada softly replied in a tired voice. He yawned, at the same time covering his mouth. A few minutes later he fell in a troubled sleep.

******

"I wish I knew what this was all about. I could find nothing in my grandfather's files. Toshitada is a complete mystery to me." Mia looked up from the computer and stretched her arms. Her arms and back were sore from spending long hours researching.

"This all has to be connected with Ranswolve. That's the only answer I can come up with," Rowen said.

There was a loud knock from the other side of the door. Mia turned away from her computer. Her expression was worried as she looked at Rowen. "I wonder who it could be especially this late at night?" she asked as she walked over. Rowen stood at her side prepared to attack without a moment's hesitation.

Mia gasped. Before her stood the three warlords, Kale, Dais, and Sekhmet. Sekhmet was looking about the room trying to avoid looking at any of the Ronins or Mia. Kale kept himself hidden in the shadows. Dais appeared indifferent. In each of their eyes was a look of defeat, while dark circles under their eyes indicated how exhausted they truly were.

"What are you guys doing here?" Rowen demanded still in a fighting stance. He studied each of them, as he tried to see what they were really up to.

"We didn't know where else to go," Dais commented. "We no longer have a place in the Nether Realm. Ranswolve now has complete control of the world. We were hoping you might offer us a place to stay in this strange world..."

Mia couldn't help but smile at the irony of the situation. The warlords were coming to her for help, a mere mortal who was always in the way. Next to her Rowen still didn't seem to approve of their intrusion. She was tempted to play this out, but seeing the hopeful look in Dais's good eye, she didn't have the heart too.

"He is making his way back go the mortal realm again," Kale hesitantly added. Kale's comment startled Mia. He was so quiet, that she had already forgotten he was with them. He appeared unsure of himself for having spoken.

"Then it looks like we will have to work together on this one. We were earlier, but separately. I think they only way we can defeat him is by actually working together as a whole." Ryo entered the room, his daggers in hand. He had come in to see what all the commotion was. He looked to Mia to see how she felt about this. She nodded in returned. Ryo sighed and gritted his teeth. This was not a good day. First, Toshitada, now the warlords.

Sekhmet sneered. "Don't think this will be a true truce. This will only be a temporary one, boy."

Sekhmet's eyes widened as he studied the sleeping form upon the couch. "Anubis!" he gasped. "But how can that be?"

Mia shook her head. "He's not Anubis, Sekhmet. His name is Toshitada."

Dais frowned. "Interesting. I would have never thought that Anubis had a son."

"So it is true. Toshitada is his son?" Mia had her arms crossed over her chest, her brow furrowed.

Dais inclined his head. "Toshitada was Anubis's real name before he joined our group. Anubis had held onto his real name for as long as possible, before he became corrupted like the rest of us. I didn't know he had a family. But the resemblance is remarkable."

"Wonderful," Sekhmet hissed, " Anubis had a son, one who will probably be just like him."

"I would hold those comments, Sekhmet. We owe our lives to Anubis. What we can do for him now is pay our respects to Toshitada," Kale said in a forceful tone. As usual, Kale had planted himself where he could be surrounded in what ever darkness he could find. This time it was a corner in the living room. His eyes glittered in the darkness as they challenged Sekhmet to disagree.

"That is my own decision to make. I am already helping the Ronin brats, and I am not going to follow around Anubis's son!"

"Drop it the both of you," Dais ordered. "We don't need to argue among ourselves. We can't afford that this time. If we had worked together before we would have defeated the Ronins. This is our chance to learn from our mistakes."

Sekhmet rolled his eyes and sulked off away from the others, mumbling to himself.

"Seeing that Toshitada can wear the armor of cruelty that means we have all nine armors," Dais pointed out.

One by one both groups drifted into the kitchen. The Ronins took their usual places around the table. Mia had to go and find more chairs for the ex-warlords. Dais leaned against the kitchen counter, while Sekhmet took to pacing the kitchen floor. Kale found the darkest corner to stand in. Mia was hoping to get some sleep, but it didn't look like that would happen. She was still surprised to see that the warlords had came here. She had a feeling that it was going to be even tenser. Hopefully there wasn't going to be any bloodshed among the two groups.

*****

The room started shaking as Mia was dragging in some chairs. Everyone quickly grabbed on to something to keep from falling. The Ronins clutched the table, while Ryo had made a dash for Mia. Yet, Dais, being near Mia grabbed her making sure didn't fall. Kale braced himself within the corner he was standing on. Sekhmet grabbed hold of Ryo's chair that was pushed away in an attempt to make sure Mia was ok. Bright light engulfed the apartment. Mia coughed from the smoke and grimaced from the delayed sound of the smoke detector.

Chaos followed as every one tried to figure out what to do or what was going on. At the same time a scream filled the air. The scream was of terror and anguish. Mia recognized that the voice belonged to Toshitada.

"Shut up you blasted thing!" Sekhmet shouted as he smashed his fist through the smoke detector once he figured out where the sound came from.

Coughing, Mia ran into the living room where they had placed Toshitada.

"MIA!" Ryo rushed to put himself in front of Mia. Both stopped in the doorway, their eyes opened wide in shock. A small fire had started in the living room, but it was Toshitada that concerned them the most. He was levitating in the air above the couch. Even though Toshitada was unconscious, he was screaming in fear as he writhed in pain.

"No more, please. I'll do anything you ask me too. Don't take me to the Nether Spirits, Master Talpa!" Toshitada cried out. "Don't make me go there!"

"Master Talpa?" Ryo frowned. This wasn't making sense at all. Toshitada had claimed that he worked against the Dynasty. Ryo knew that the boy couldn't be trusted.

"Ryo, help me get him back down," Mia shouted... She didn't care one way or the other what Toshitada had said. Right now, his health was their concern.

Ryo sighed and followed Mia to Toshitada's floating form. Cye, who had just thrown on his armor, set about putting out the fire. As Mia and Ryo got within arm's reach of Toshitada, a strong wind hurled them and the furniture in the area back towards the kitchen's entrance. Outside a raging storm growled at them and lightning struck dangerously near the apartment.

Mia moaned as she pushed her way back up. Her chest ached and it was difficult to catch her breath. She crossed her arms over chest as if trying to push out the pain.

" Nothing you can do can stop this..." Dais smirked. "You'll only end up in more pain, yourself."

"Then what can we do? And why is this going on?" Mia replied in a worried tone her voice ragged.

"I'm not sure, but I think I have a plausible theorem. Talpa had mentioned something about a secret weapon. I thought it was the Nether Spirits. I had no idea he meant to use Toshitada. I didn't even know that he had another person." Dais then closed his one eye and pooled his energy together. "Web of Deception!"

Instantly a web of sticky fibrous material filled the room all tangling round Toshitada. Dais's eye widened as the web caught ablaze. "How can that be?"

Once again Cye came to the rescue. Cye pursed as lips as he had to put out another fire. Cye didn't see Toshitada's body become limp and collapsing to the floor. Dais reached out and grabbed Toshitada before he hit the hard wooden floor. "He's so cold." How odd, Dais thought. The fire should have burned Toshitada. Instead it seems to have frozen him.

"What was this all about?" Kale questioned as he entered the room. He was surprised of what just happened. He had never seen anything like this before. "I would like to know what caused the other fire."

Dais shook his head. For once he was the one confused. He was used to be the one confusing others. This was all new to him. He noted that outside the storm had become a light rain shower when a few minutes ago it was raging storm. Some ideas began to form in his mind, but he decided to keep silent for now.

"Alright, a few minutes ago Toshitada had mentioned master Talpa, and yet you three don't know anything about him?" Ryo questioned in a demanding tone. He studied each of the warlords trying to see their true motivations. "Is this some kind of plan you're trying to pull off?"

"As I said before, Talpa mentioned a secret weapon only once. I said that it might have been the Nether Spirits. But Toshitada could have been this secret weapon of his. I don't know!" Dais replied in an annoyed tone. Dais gritted his teeth together. It was annoying to have to repeat himself.

"And these sudden fires and that burst of wind?" Cye pointed out. "Talpa couldn't have caused those."

"I think Toshitada could be connected to those. Each time we tried to approach Toshitada something happened. Mia and Ryo were hurled against the wall. "My web of deception was set on fire. The storm outside began right when this mess started. It settled down at the same time Toshitada fell," Dais explained.

"You're saying he can control elements like fire and rain among others?" Sekhmet questioned. "I can see Talpa using those powers to his advantage." All heads turned to face Sekhmet. Most of them didn't realize he was in the room or when he came in. Sekhmet seemed to not notice as he leaned against the doorframe.

"We won't know until we can get Toshitada to answer some questions." Gently Dais placed Toshitada back onto the couch. "Toshitada, it's time for you to wake up. We need some answers."

Toshitada's eyes fluttered open. A bewildered expression filled his face that was quickly followed by surprise. Instantly Toshitada stood up and bowed low enough that he touched the floor. "I am at your service warlords of Talpa."

"Stand up boy. I don't know what you were trained for, but we are no longer serving Talpa." Dais grabbed Toshitada by the shoulder and forced him to stand.

Near by Sekhmet sneered. "Can you explain what you just did?"

Toshitada glanced about worriedly. He noticed that the floor was drenched and that a thing trail of smoke still filled the room. All the windows were opened to let the smoke out. There were fresh burn marks on some of the furniture. Books and papers were scattered about the room. Cye was still in his armor with trident in hand. Beads of sweat began to form, and his hands shook slightly. Could he have done this? If so did they believe he was the cause? "What do you mean? The last thing last thing I remember, I laid down on the couch to fall asleep."

Dais groaned. He was not going to repeat himself a third time. Cye, sensing the dangerous switch in Dais's mood, quickly explained what had happened.

"Oh yeah, I can do that stuff. That's why Master Talpa wanted me. I can call upon water, light, darkness, fire, and any element I need to use. Long ago I used to use this gift to help my village. During a drought I was asked to use my gift to bring water for the crops. That was when Talpa noticed me." Toshitada's voice dropped to a whisper. "Don't make me tell anymore, please don't."

"I can't guarantee that I will be able to do that. There is a lot we don't understand and you may be the key to help explain these strange events," Dais answered.

Mia sensed a gentle tone that was rather uncharacteristic for Dais. Out of the three warlords Dais was the only one whom still seemed to hold some kind of respect toward Anubis. Mia guessed that maybe Dais was trying to show the same respect toward Anubis's son.

Reluctantly Toshitada nodded. "What else do you need to know?"

"What did Talpa have in mind for you?" Kale studied Toshitada's face, trying to see if the boy was going to tell the truth.

"When he first came to me, Master Talpa tried to persuade me to join his side. I refused. He ordered the Dynasty to kill my mother as a warning of what would happen if I didn't. I joined him and reluctantly went through his training.

"There were times though that I refused. I didn't feel it was right to do such things. Those times Master Talpa would find other ways of persuading me. Usually it was through the Nether Spirits or through starving me to the point where I would do anything for food.

"Master Talpa wanted to use me as a secret weapon. He had a feeling that one of you would turn against him. His main suspect was someone called Anubis...I was going to take Anubis's place. By then, I had gone under many changes. I willingly did what ever Master Talpa ordered me to. I was proud because of my skills and of what I did for the acts I committed in his service. I no longer questioned what I did.

"It wasn't until when the Ronin Warriors broke into the castle then I did question my deeds. During my sleep, a person known as the Ancient One came to me, telling me what I was doing was wrong. He reminded me of whom I used to be. When the Ronin Warriors managed to stop Talpa, I escaped from his castle."

"The Ancient One again!" Annoyed, Kale crossed his arms. "He was the one who persuaded Anubis! He also told Anubis about Lady Kayura. Curse that monk."

"Without the Ancient One's help, we would have never been given our lives back!" Dais reprimanded Kale, before turning back to Toshitada. "And how did you obtain Anubis's armor?"

Toshitada sighed. He was exhausted and his entire body screamed in pain. He was doing his best not to show the pain. Still, he couldn't help but shiver.

He hated being cold. He was always so cold. Even if he were to sit in the sun for hours or days, it wouldn't matter. Toshitada longed to feel the warmth of the sun's rays one last time. Ever since he had become Master Talpa's servant that simple task was taking away from him. Toshitada believed that was another way Talpa used to control him.

"After escaping Master Talpa, I wound up in the Nether Realm. It was there that I found the armor. I quickly learned how to use it. When I heard about Ranswolve, I planned to amend my mistakes. I would make sure that Ranswolve was stopped before he could do any harm.

Even though I learned to wield the armor, it gives me great pain. The pain grows worse if I don't have the armor. I think Master Talpa planned for me to find the armor. He did something to control me through the armor. I don't think I could ever escape Master Talpa."

Ryo glared at Toshitada. He'd asked the same questions earlier and gotten nothing. Suddenly the warlords show up and they manage to get whatever answers they wanted

There was so much Ryo didn't understand. One second Toshitada was this proud warrior and the next, he seemed like a scared child. Ryo didn't know why, but he believed every word Toshitada had said. Even though he really didn't want to believe anything Toshitada said.

"A good way to start is by not referring to Talpa as master," Cye commented. "By calling him master you are saying that you are still under his will."

I think right now, we should all get some rest. It's late and we aren't heading anywhere in this discussion. Not enough to warrant staying up the whole night," Mia's tone, while cheerful, suggested that she wasn't going to take no for an answer, "I'll go ahead and set some more rooms up."

Dais shook his head in disbelief. She didn't even give them time to reply. He didn't know about any of the others, but he at least was looking forward to a good night's sleep. For the past few weeks they had been travelling with out any sort of sleep. It had been difficult finding where Mia lived. One thing Dais knew for certain was that he wasn't about to wake up early in the morning.

It wasn't long before Mia returned to announce that she had the rooms ready. One by one, they all slowly drifted to their rooms, weary from the travel. Toshitada remained alone in the living room. Mia had offered him a room as well, but he had refused. He let Dais take the room, so the warlords wouldn't have to be paired up. He hadn't told Mia, but he planned to stay awake the rest of the night. He didn't want to wake up the others if he had another nightmare.

They said he had some kind of nightmare? He didn't remember anything save for falling asleep. They said he'd used his powers against them. Toshitada couldn't believe it - he'd never do that while awake. He preferred people not know about his powers to begin with. A long time ago, his powers were accepted... they were a special gift that his fellow villagers respected. In this strange age, however, people would easily fear him for his powers.

Toshitada was perplexed and no longer sure of himself. He was finding that there were still so many questions that remained unanswered. Toshitada sighed, deciding that he could search for answers later. He sat down on the couch and wrapped a blanket around his shoulders, trying to keep warm.

Toshitada suddenly noticed that he was wearing a necklace. Puzzled, he pulled it off and held it in his hand. The jewel glowed brightly, as he examined it more closely. Oddly, he felt at peace while holding this jewel. He wondered who had given it to him and why.

*****
Dais sat in his bed. He'd tried desperately to get some sleep, but it was evading him. Finally, he gave up and walked over to the window. The sky outside was dark and cloudy. The rain had finally stopped and crickets were chirping. He could hear the soft gentle sound of waves crashing against the lakeshore.

Images of the past flashed in his mind. Images that he had believed to be buried beyond retrieval. Something had trigged them, and Dais believed that it had to do with Toshitada. He remembered... it had been some time after he'd become a warlord.

Dais and Anubis had been friends. Once. The promise of power had ultimately corrupted their friendship. But before then, Dais had been the first to befriend Anubis. Anubis had been known as Toshitada when Talpa brought the young man to them. Toshitada had wanted to control everything under the sky. He was loyal and willing to do what he must to achieve his goal.

And yet... Dais had noticed that Toshitada's heart was elsewhere. At one point, Dais had followed Toshitada to a small village. This village had refused to follow Talpa and thus, had been destroyed by the Dynasty. Silently, Dais watched as Toshitada slowly traversed through its empty streets. The warrior looked horrified and disbelieving of what he was seeing. Toshitada stopped dead in his tracks. The rubble and ashes before him had been a small house.

Dais reached his hand out unconsciously as the warlord collapsed to his knees. He prostrated himself where the house's threshold would have been. After several minutes, Toshitada stood up, his joints stiff from kneeling. He pulled out a sword and laid it down gently in front of the ruined house. Dais noted that it wasn't the same sword that Talpa had given Toshitada. He assumed that the sword must have belonged to the other warlord some time before he entered Talpa's service.

Dais sensed a new air about Toshitada. The warrior's face was expressionless, as he held his head up. He strode confidently out of the village. "I assume you cleared up the demons in your past, Toshitada?" Dais greeted as he appeared alongside his friend.

Toshitada stopped in his path and turned to face Dais. "Toshitada is no more. Anubis will be my name now as I serve Master Talpa."

In the time that followed, Toshitada, now Anubis changed greatly. He had become the merciless and fearless warlord that Dais grew accustomed to following. Serving Talpa, none could hold on to any friendship. Anubis and Dais drifted apart as their hearts became more corrupted. Neither trusted the other, as a warlord could only rely on himself.

It wasn't until now that Dais fully understood Anubis's change. He muttered what Anubis had told him so long ago: "Toshitada is no more. Anubis will be my name as I serve Master Talpa."

Of course the village had to have been Anubis's home at some point, where he'd had not only a wife, but also a child. Dais figured that Toshitada held on to his name because he had a family. When he found out that his family no longer existed, only then did he fully serve Talpa. Dais wouldn't be surprised if Talpa had made sure that Anubis had no more ties to his past.

Dais wondered how Anubis would have reacted to find out that his son was still alive... and worse yet, that Talpa had imprisoned him the entire time. Dais shook his head. It would do no good to worry about things that couldn't be changed. Now was the time to figure out what could be done about Ranswolve. The main problem was that Ranswolve could bend time. This allowed him to easily move to another place in a split second, or he could be two places at the same time.

Ranswolve's last capture had been due solely to surprise. Dais was a new addition to Talpa's ranks so Ranswolve knew nothing of Dais's skills in illusion and confusion. Because of this, he'd been able to weaken Ranswolve enough that Talpa was able to imprison him. Dais knew Ranswolve would not be so easily tricked a second time.

*****


It was mid-afternoon and Mia had given into the urge to search her grandfather's information on the computer. She was hoping she could uncover something about this Ranswolve. She didn't look up until Ryo entered her office, carrying a small package. "Yulie sent you something."

Mia smiled. "Yulie, is constantly sending me things he has done. I wonder what he is up to now."

"I miss the kid," Ryo stood by Mia to see what their young friend had sent her. Mia first pulled out a typed letter. Happily, she read the letter out loud."

"Dear Mia,
How are things going for you? It's been so busy for me at school. High school is a blast. I now have a girlfriend whom I have been seeing for a few months now. Have you heard from the rest of the gang? I haven't heard from them at all in a while. I guess they must be pretty busy too.
Yet the only thing that troubles me is these dreams I keep having. Talpa is in the dreams. I don't tell my parents about them for they don't remember anything about that time. Good news is that I have a three-day break from school and we are heading nearby to where you live for vacation. My parents said it's ok for me to drop by if it's all right with you.
I also enclosed a drawing of White Blaze and a video of all of us together hanging out at your house. You know, the time when I found your video camera. I found the old video a few days ago and I patched it up and made a copy for you. Say hi to the guys for me if you see them."
Love,
Yulie"

Mia smiled as she carefully pulled out the picture. She gasped at its beauty. Yulie had painstakingly detailed the drawing of White Blaze. She was very impressed with his talent.

"That is amazing," Ryo commented. "White Blaze looks like he could leap right off the page. Now, what I want to see is this video... I don't remember what Yulie filmed that day."

"Get the gang together and we can all watch it," Mia suggested as she heading to the living room.

Upon entering the living room, Mia found Dais keeping Kento's attention with some sort of card trick. Kento was failing miserably at figuring it out. Sekhmet was busy poking at the fish in the large aquarium that took up one side of the room. Cye refused to turn his attention away from Sekhmet. He worried about what the warlord might do to the fish if not closely monitored. "I still don't see why anyone would want to keep a bunch of boring fish in a box of water," Sekhmet glanced at Mia out of the corner of his eye when she entered. She knew full well that the warlord was just trying to irritate Cye. Kale seemed amused by channel surfing. Men, she noted, did not seem to change, no matter what century they originated from. Rowen, as usual, was reading a book. Sage was fencing with Toshitada in an area that they had cleared away.

"Any new information?" Rowen asked as he looked up from his book.

"Not yet, but Yulie sent us a video. I figured it might be good for a few laughs."

"Video?" Rowen questioned. "Oh wait, do you mean that video Yulie took when we had that short break from fighting?"

"Yeap," Ryo stated. "I forget what's on it though."

"What's a video?" Dais wasn't too familiar with the technology of the mortal realm. He'd never had a need or inclination to learn.

Quickly, Rowen explained to the warlord how a video worked in terms that Dais would be able to comprehend. Once that was settled, Mia inserted the tape and hit "play."

Mia couldn't believe how long ago it had been. That video was almost five years old. They had all changed so much. Mia laughed as the camera focused on Cye trying to teach Kento how to surf. Kento had just fallen off the surfboard and Cye wasn't trying to keep a straight face. He lost his concentration and a wave crashed, knocking him off his own board.

Then it switched to the gang playing baseball. Ryo had hit a home run and he was running towards base. In the distance, White Blaze was chasing after the baseball. The tiger leaped into the air in an attempt to catch it only to fall on a sleeping Rowen. Rowen pushed White Blaze off and looked disgruntled at having been so rudely awakened.

The camera blacked out momentarily, before focusing on Sage. He was teaching Yulie some kendo. Kento's voice could be heard in the background as he tried to figure out how to work the video camera. "So what does this red button do, if I were to press it?"

"Kento, no!" Yulie shouted, "That would ruin the film in there!"

Kento laughed. "I wish I knew that earlier..."

Suddenly, the camera did a close up of Anubis' face. His expression was one of puzzlement as he tapped on the camera lens. The warlords, who had been silent through this, snickered at the site of their former member. In the background, Yulie tried to explain to Anubis how a camera worked.

Much to Mia's dismay, the camera's next images were of herself and Anubis. They were standing under a Sakura tree. At the time, they didn't realize Yulie was taping them. Anubis bent over to kiss Mia. Only then did Mia open her eyes and noticed. Their kiss was interrupted as Anubis chased after Yulie. At that point, the video ended.

Mia buried her face in her hands. She knew full well that her face had turned a bright shade of red. Now, I'm going to have to do some explaining, she thought. Mia had grown to know the oh-so-formal warlord very well. While he had once brought fear to her heart, she discovered that underneath the Armor of Cruelty had lived a passionate man filled with hopes and dreams. It was no surprise that she fell in love with him.

Anubis had so many good dreams, but Talpa had twisted them into nightmares. When Mia came to know him, Anubis was still ambitious, but more careful and hesitant. Anubis told her many things, but he refused to talk about his past before becoming a warlord. He had a way of changing the subject to where Mia wouldn't even realize he'd changed it.

It hurt Mia deeply when Anubis died. She hadn't thought that she could go on without him. Somehow she managed to hide her feelings and put up a brave face for the Ronin warriors. She was certain that none of them even knew about the romance she and Anubis had shared. Mia hadn't wanted to tell them about it. It would bring up too many painful memories from the past. Besides, she didn't feel that they had to know about it anymore. What relevancy did it have for them? The man was dead.

When Mia finally raised her head, she found all eyes staring at her. Ryo was the most surprised... and hurt. "How come you never told us about all that? You've never held anything back before."

"Ryo, she doesn't owe us anything." Cye pointed out. "She's hurt more from his death than any of us. I don't think she would've wanted to talk about that. Not after losing him."

Roy sighed. "You're right. I'm sorry, Mia. I had no right to question you."

Mia drew a ragged breath. "No, no, you have a right to be angry with me. Eventually, I planned to you guys. When I was ready. If things had gone the way they should have... Anubis wanted to marry me. He gave me a ring later on that day. I still wear that ring right next to the Jewel of Life." She swallowed and laughed nervously. "Oh ... on a brighter note, Yulie should be arriving her in a few days..."

"I just hope Ranswolve doesn't destroy everything within those days," Dais stated, avoiding eye contact from Mia. He as also hurt by Anubis's death. The two had once been good friends. Dais had hoped they could reform their friendship when he realized what side his loyalties were for. Unfortunately, that never happened.

Mia nodded, her face still flushed, as she walked up to the video player. She paused, as she reached for the video. She turned back to face Dais. "I wonder... Do you think Lady Kayura might know something about this? Ranswolve, I mean."

Maybe if we can find her," Dais wasn't one to smile, but he tried to look less threatening. "She went missing some time after Ranswolve escaped."

"That doesn't sound good," Sage shook his head. "I just hope that Ranswolve doesn't have her."

*****

Toshitada strayed away from the group. They had larger things to worry about. He knew nothing of what they were talking about, anyway. What bothered him the most was the video he had seen. The man they called Anubis looked so much like him. Earlier, he'd overheard them mention that Anubis might have been his father. Toshitada never knew his father, but his mother had said he'd died in a war. Yet, Toshitada couldn't deny that this "Anubis" looked so much like him. And he did wear the Armor of Cruelty, which Toshitada now wore.

Silently, Toshitada slipped out the door. The sun was setting, as he walked through the surroundings of the two-story house. It was beautiful and quiet here. Toshitada was thankful that the pain had dulled. He could ignore it with a little effort.

He sensed that he wasn't alone. Toshitada's body tensed. He searched his surroundings, trying to find some clue of who was watching him. Toshitada's eyes widened as a familiar figure appeared before him. "Ranswolve," he gasped.

The dark figure sneered. His shadow loomed over Toshitada, revealing his sheer height. Toshitada couldn't see Ranswolve's face at all, save for those yellow eyes that glittered in the sunset. Blue and silver highlights in his white hair shone in the fading light.

Ranswolve laughed. "You think you escaped me so easily, boy? I was merely testing you. I had to see if you were worthy of my efforts." He snapped his fingers and four Nether Spirits appeared around Toshitada.

Toshitada's eyes filled with fear. He could handle any other enemy, but the Nether Spirits... He feared them the most. Talpa had wasted no time in subjecting Toshitada to the Nether Spirits when he was a young child. His heart raced as he tried to figure out what to do. He'd tried to escape them before, but everything plan was always stopped. Toshitada was frozen, unable to think or act.

"Quiet I see. Don't have anything to say?" Ranswolve taunted. "The last time we met you had a lot to say."

The Nether Spirits began chanting in a combined monotone voice. It was a language that Toshitada couldn't understand but had learned to fear. The pain that had finally dulled became vivid as it ripped through his body. Toshitada collapsed to his knees, his face in anguish as he fought not to give Ranswolve the pleasure of him screaming in pain. Instead of going away, the pain intensified.

"If you submit to me, I can easily give you the cure. You will no longer feel the pain that comes with wearing the armor. Not only that, you will be able to feel the warmth of the sun once again instead of the constant cold that runs through your veins. You will be able to live a normal life...save for the fact that you will have to answer to my calls."

Toshitada looked up at Ranswolve. To be free of the pain and feel the sunshine again! Wasn't that everything that he'd wished for? It seemed too good to be real.

Ranswolve snapped his fingers and the Nether Spirits began a different chant. To Toshitada's surprise the pain suddenly stopped. Even the dull pain that he was accustomed to feeling had disappeared. He could suddenly feel the warmth in his body once again. Slowly, color began to return to his pasty white skin.

Toshitada could read no expression out of the warrior's face. He couldn't figure out what the warrior had in mind. It felt so could to feel warm again and not having to feel the constant pain. He was in control of his own body for once. Toshitada's eyes narrowed. Even though the temptation was great, he couldn't accept the offer. Talpa had taken control of his body and now Talpa's son was trying to control him. Toshitada was not going to give in.

"I will never follow Talpa or you ever again. I would rather feel the pain before having to answer to someone else. I won't do your dirty work. Not now, not ever." Toshitada hardened his gaze and met Ranswolve's eyes.

"You're a fool, just like your father!" Ranswolve snarled.

Instantly the pain and cold flooded back to his body. Toshitada moaned in agony at the sudden impact. Blackness quickly followed as he fell unconscious to the ground.

*****

"Are we going to head back to the Nether Realm again?" Rowen questioned. "It would be wise to try to stop him there before he heads back to the mortal realm."

From the corner beside the fish tank, White Blaze suddenly stood up growling. White Blaze had taken up Cye's position of protecting the fish from Sekhmet's idea of humor. All heads turned toward the tiger, trying to figure out what had upset the giant cat. Much to their dismay, a tall figure stood amidst them carrying a limp Toshitada.

"Ranswolve," Dais growled. The figure wavered. Dais raised an eyebrow. He could see that it was only an illusion.

"Well, all my favorite people in one room together," Many of the warriors rose, irritated by Ranswolve's sarcastic tone, "It's a shame. I'm nowhere near here. I'd have you in the palm of my hands. Now... your young friend here is in suspended animation... but only for twenty-four hours. Afterwards, he will rapidly waste away. Of course... that can all change if he decides to join me... or if the lot of you surrender your armor to me. Twenty fours hours." Laughing, Ranswolve faded away.

"That's crazy! He knows that none of that will happen!" Ryo shouted, out raged.

"How did he get a hold of Toshitada in the first place? I thought he was with us the entire time?" Cye questioned.

"The last time I saw him he was locked in a battle with Sage," Rowen stated, "and Sage was loosing badly."

"I was merely seeing how well the kid fought. He can fight pretty well too," Sage replied. "Yet the kid can't read or write."

Rowen's eyes widened. "You've got to be joking."

Sage shook his head no. "Sorry, Rowen, but the kid is educated in the skills of a warrior but other then that he is completely lost. While you guys were chitchatting I was trying to see if we could find some information on Ranswolve and I had Toshitada help in my search. That's when I found out."

"Sounds like something Talpa would pull," Dais commented. "While the rest of us were fairly independent he tried to have Toshitada depend upon him. If Toshitada was thinking of leaving Talpa he would be hesitating to knowing that the only thing he could do was fight where the rest of the world didn't revolve on fighting."

"That poor child has no control of anything not even his own body," Mia replied in a sorrowful tone. "No one should have to go through that."

"He has control of his destiny," Dais retorted. "He can decide what to do."

"Were any of you there when Ranswolve was first locked up?" Sage questioned the three warlords. All three of them nodded.

"The only reason we were able to capture him was the element of surprise. I think surprise will be the only way you can defeat Ranswolve. Talpa's son remembers everything and will use anything he can to his advantage. He will sit down and go over a previous battle and go through any flaws he can find and then think of ways to fix those flaws," Kale stated. He will do this to any kind of battle he was in winning or loosing. His idea of fun was sitting down to play out 'what if' scenarios from different battles. He is always contemplating some kind of battle plan."

"How did you surprise him?" Sage persisted.

"We were able to surprise him through my illusions. I had just recently joined Talpa's reign so he didn't know my fighting skills too well. Ranswolve won't let my illusions fool him this time."

"I think if we had Lady Kayura we could surprise Ranswolve and ensnare him," Rowen commented.

"I don't know. That's if we can find her. As I said before we haven't been able to find her," Dais pointed out.

"Maybe we can use that to our advantage," Rowen said thoughtfully.

*****

"Damn it, I messed up again," Lady Kayura muttered as she approached a cherry tree. The tree stood alone on a hilltop. Cherry blossoms scattered about in the wind. She straightened up, having stooped down to study the earth around the cherry tree. She knew that she had buried Anubis' yoroi somewhere around here before he had passed away.

The sky was slowly turning a soft pink as the sun began to rise. The morning breeze felt cool and refreshing to Kayura. Her long hair blew freely in the breeze. With one hand she held on to her straw hat. Her other hand held a long golden staff. It had been a long time since she had wandered this road. Lady Kayura had just decided to take up the path of the Ancient One because she was the last of the clan. It felt like it was the right thing to do.

When she was finally given her first mission, she screwed it up completely. The Ancient One came to her as she was meditating. He told her that she was to find Toshitada, Anubis' son. She had to set him on the right path after he left Talpa's service... and she had to do it before he found the yoroi.

She had missed the event by a few months. She didn't understand what was so important about finding Anubis's son. If he was free from Talpa's service, then she had nothing to worry about. Talpa no longer roamed the mortal realm. But, there was Ranswolve to worry about. She wondered why the timing was so important. What did it matter if Toshitada found the armor before she reached him? There was so much she didn't know; yet she had gathered a lot of information in such a short time.

Kayura sighed. This was going to make things more difficult. Glancing at the cherry tree one last time, she headed back down the hill. Her golden staff rang with each step.

*****

Toshitada awoke to find himself chained to a cavern wall with bars surrounding him. "He's mocking me," Toshitada muttered as he easily pulled himself free from the chains. Only then did he notice that Nether Spirits were scattered about... watching him.

He sighed. He hated those spirits with a passion... but he also feared them greatly. Talpa had wasted no time introducing him to them when he was only a little boy. Talpa learned fast that Toshitada would quickly answer to anything when faced against a Nether Spirit. Toshitada scurried to a corner of the cell that was the farthest away from the Spirits.

"So tell me: what is it that my father found so fascinating about you? Why did he keep you such a secret?" Ranswolve sauntered towards the cell. "If you tell me, I might just take away the poison that's connected with your armor. Then maybe you can live to be my servant."

I'm through with servant work. I'm surprised that someone like you can't figure out why Talpa held me so highly. After all, you are his son. Or maybe you're not as smart as you claim to be?"

"Quiet, boy!" Ranswolve snarled, "Need I point out the Nether Spirits that surround you? I can easily have them pump more poison into your system! I see that it has been twenty-four hours and the Ronin Warriors have not arrived yet. Your new friends could care less about you. You pledge your service to those who aren't concern that you're missing? What a fool!"

"You know nothing about them. All of what you say is a bunch of lies! I've told you already that I care will not to be part of your service. Once you have me accomplish what you want then you'll easily dispose of me."

"Then so be it," Ranswolve growled. "I will find what it is that interested my father so much. It's neither your strength nor your armor. It's something else." Ranswolve snapped his fingers and the Nether Spirits moved forward. "This shall solve everything."

Toshitada cried out. The pain was so intense he could not hold in his cries as much as he wanted. He lay on the ground twisting in agony. The cavern echoed with his cries. Unknowingly, Toshitada connected himself with the elements of the armors. His eyes gave a white glow. Rain fell heavy within the cavern as a strong wind began to blow rattling the cage bars. Lightning lit up the suddenly dark cavern. Rocks began to tumble where the lightning bolts struck.

Quickly as it begun everything came to a complete stop. Toshitada still continued to cry out in pain, as the Nether Spirits seemed not to have noticed the entire event.

"Now I understand what my father had in mind. Your Ronin friends have no clue of the important role you play among them." Ranswolve laughed and with a snap of his fingers he called the Nether Spirits away as he too vanished.

Lady Kayura suddenly looked up. The sun had fully risen and the day was quickly warming up promising to be a hot sweltering day. There was something she sensed, but what was it? What she felt was pain and misery. Kayura closed her eyes as she tried to concentrate on finding where the source was coming from. After a while she opened them and took a path that led into the mountains. "I hope this is right," she muttered.

*****

"Great we just wasted a day and haven't come up with a clue of how to even stop this guy," Ryo's voice shook as he replied in an agitated tone. "We don't even know where to find Ranswolve. He usually finds us."

"I know exactly where you can find him," Dais simply stated.

"What? And you didn't tell us?" Kento yelled. "We could have saved Toshitada by now!"

Dais shrugged. "You never asked. I may be helping you guys but it doesn't mean I'm going to be an open book."

Kento glared back at the warlord. "The entire time," he muttered.

"Relax, Kento, everyone is tired too, we've been up all night trying to figure out what to do," Cye said, "It will do no good being hot headed about the situation."

"If you want to know just look out the window, your answer is right there," Dais commented.

"The sun rising? What's the big deal about that?" Kento grumbled.

"The mountains, you fool! If you actually paid attention I would think you would have picked up on it," Dais growled.

Cye placed a hand in front of Kento signaling him to stay put. "Why would Ranswolve pick the mountains?" Cye questioned as he tried to keep a fight from starting.

"Those mountains were where we captured Ranswolve. It's his way of mocking us," Kale answered.

"Great then lets go before we waste any more time," Ryo suggested already standing up and heading toward the door.

"We're not all going to fit in one car," Rowen pointed out.

"I'll take the rest," Sage stated.

"Wait are you already assuming that I'm going to do the driving?" Mia questioned. "All of you save the warlords are capable of driving now."

Ryo grinned sheepishly. "Oh yeah, it just felt like the old times again."

Mia grinned. "I know I was only teasing. I wouldn't mind driving all of you. At least that way I can help out a little."

"Let's kick some Dynasty butt!" Kento happily shouted as they divided into the two cars.

White Blaze refused to ride in the car and instead of usually following them he took off in a different direction. "I wonder what has gotten into that cat?" Ryo commented as he watched from the side mirror.

"More then likely he knows something that we don't," Rowen answered.

"Hrmm I didn't think the weather would be this bad in the mountains," Mia said as she had to slow down and turn on the car's headlights. The once clear blue skies were suddenly dark and cloudy. A strong wind was blowing and snow was falling heavily.
Mia frowned as her car stalled. She tried to get it started, but it refused to start. "Wonderful."

Behind her, Sage was having the same problems. After a couple of tries he gave up and walked out of the car. "This has to be Ranswolve's doing," Sage said as he joined with the rest of the Ronins.

"Or Toshitada's," Dais commented.

"Why would Toshitada do something like this?" Kento asked.

"He could be fighting against Ranswolve or like before have no clue he was doing this. That is if it was Toshitada. It could just be the weather," Rowen answered.

"And what about the cars?" Sage pointed out.

"Good point. I would have to say it was Ranswolve's doing," Rowen replied.

Red eyes began to glow in the pitch darkness. It took a few seconds for Ryo to figure out that they were soldiers of doom. Quickly Ryo called upon his armor; he was not in the mood to play around with them. They didn't have much time to waste. Much to his surprise the armor would not come. The others looked as puzzled as he did. The warlords were not happy at all. They were used to being able to use their armor when the Ronins could not.

Kento snickered. "Now they know how we feel," he muttered to Cye. Cye smiled despite the situation. For once they would be going through everything they had in the past.

"He has Nether Spirits around the place," Dais commented. "He is trying to slow us down."

"I see that you have finally arrived. I was beginning to wonder if you would not come," Ranswolve spoke, his voice loud and clear despite the howling wind. Yet he could not be seen anywhere.

"Where are you, Ranswolve?" Ryo shouted. "Enough of the talking and show yourself!"

Ranswolve laughed. "If you want me you have to get past the soldiers of doom, which should be an interesting task considering you can't call upon your armor."

Once his laughter faded away it was as if a spell had broken. The soldiers of doom charged forward quickly separating the group. "Man, I don't get it. These guys are usually easy to fight with or without the armor," Kento commented as he tackled the same soldier of doom he had been fighting for the past five minutes. "These guys just won't give up."

"He must have juiced them up some how," Ryo said as he flipped a soldier over his back. "More then likely through the Nether Spirits. He seems to rely on those a lot."

"The Nether Spirits easily flock to Ranswolve then they would to Talpa," Sekhmet commented. "They see him as the one with the most power and since Talpa had failed before they don't see him as a worthy leader anymore." Easily the warlord grabbed hold of a trident one of the soldiers was using. Having a strong grasp of it he threw the soldier into a bunch of them knocking them all down. Now that the warlord owned the trident he used it against any others that attempted to fight him.

"I just wish we could do something against those Nether Spirits, I don't think we can keep going like this," Cye stated in the midst of punching a soldier.

"More then likely we'll have to face more of Ranswolve's goons if we get through these guys," Rowen said. "I wish I had my bow and arrows." Gracefully Rowen jumped into the air and flipped over a soldier of doom allowing the soldier to charge into one of its members.

"What's that?" Sage questioned spotting a figure in distance. "Could that be Ranswolve? Or his image?"

"I think you're seeing things, Sage," Kento laughed. "I don't see a thing."

"Right, Kento, maybe you're not looking where I am looking," Sage replied as he glanced to look back and find the figure not there. "The figure was there...."

A blinding light suddenly filled the area. In the center of the light was a familiar looking, golden staff. The staff rang loudly. All eight kanji's began to glow. The snow began to slacken. The Nether Spirits quickly vanished. Ryo grinned. He didn't have to be told once as he quickly called his armor. The others followed in pursuit. The soldiers of doom suddenly became easy prey and were quickly dwindling in numbers.

"I wonder who is helping us?" Cye asked. "It can't be the Ancient One, yet that is his staff."

*****

Yulie smiled as he approached Mia's house. It had been along time since he had seen her. He had been counting down the days till the family vacation. As soon as they arrived at the their old home he rushed right over. Mia's driveway had like four cars. Yulie recognized them as belonging, to Cye, Kento, Ryo, and Rowen's. Sage's car and Mia's car were missing. He surprised to see the entire gang here. Mia probably told them that he was coming down.

The sun was high up in the sky and shining brightly. Yulie shrugged and climbed out of his car. Eagerly he ran up to the house and rang the doorbell. He searched around hoping to see Whiteblaze roaming around the yard. He couldn't find the tiger at all. To his dismay no one answered.

"I know they got my letter. Maybe they just didn't hear me," Yulie commented as he began to walk around the house hoping maybe they were down at the lake swimming.
His search was fruitless. No one was about. Yulie sighed. "I wonder where they went. Hopefully they will be back soon." Reluctantly, Yulie sat down at the front steps.

*****

"Quake with fear!" Toshitada yelled, announcing his presence. The warrior was dressed in full armor; his eyes had a crazed look as he approached the group.

"All right! Looks like we don't have to free Toshitada after all!" Kento happily commented. His smile faded quickly when he saw the attack was directed toward them. Kento watched as Toshitada swung out the scythe by its chain. The scythe struck the ground with such impact that it sent snow and dirt everywhere. Yet it continued to go further into the ground. "Toshitada, what are you doing? Why are you attacking us?" Kento shouted as he tried to break free from the chains that popped out of the ground.

"The boy's not himself!" Dais shouted as he grabbed Kento before a chain could wrap hold of the Ronin. "Ranswolve has hold of him. Look at his eyes you can easily tell!"
While Dais was able to save Kento he was caught in the chain. It wasn't long before Kento was caught.

"Toshitada, fight off Ranswolve's hold!" Cye shouted before a chain wrapped around him. "We're your friends! He's only using you!"

Toshitada laughed. "And where have you been? I see that you guys haven't made an attempt to even rescue me. It's not like they ever wanted me as part of the team. Wildfire made that clear enough. The only reason why they put up with me is because of you Torrent."

"That's not true, Toshitada. At first I didn't trust you, but now I do!" Ryo shouted as he struggled against a chain.

"Like I am going to believe that!" Angrily Toshitada swung his scythe striking Ryo. "You just want to gain my trust again so that way I won't attack you!"

"You got to believe me," Ryo replied as he winced in pain. "How am I going to get this guy to trust me?" He thought. He decided that not fighting might work.

Toshitada laughed. "It will be my pleasure to see you dead!" Ryo cried out in pain as Toshitada constantly struck him with the scythe. He kept his word that he wasn't going to fight back. Hopefully this will convince Toshitada that he is a friend.

"Stop it, Toshitada!" Mia shouted. "You're going to kill him, if you keep that up! Listen to me! What you're doing is wrong!"

Toshitada paused for a second as he glanced up at Mia, his scythe in mid swing. Mia struggled against the chains that bounded her. Confusion flooded his mind. Mia had only treated him with kindness and only wanted to help him. Now he was repaying her by having her bound in chains. What was he doing?

Suddenly, an immense pain seized him. "Ignore the girl and kill the boy!" Ranswolve's voice echoed in the back of his mind.

"No, I can't do it. It's not right!" Toshitada shouted. "Leave me alone!"

Images from the past suddenly filled his mind. Images he had thought he buried along time ago.

He was probably around seven or eight. The sun was shining brightly. He had just recently revived a dying plant. His mother was surprised by what he had done, but it was more of out of amazement.

"I just wish your father was here to see this. He would be quite surprised at the talent you have," she complimented as he had given him a hug. Toshitada then remembered how he had told his mother about the other things he could do like making it rain or make it dark or light. He had kept these talents a secret for a while. He was afraid that his mother wouldn't approve of these talents.

Soldiers of doom then broke into their house, knocking down the door. Toshitada remembered his mother screaming and telling Toshitada to run. He had hid and watched his mother fight them off with his father's spare sword. The soldiers of doom became too overwhelming. He watched horrified as they killed her. That's when he came out of his hiding spot and took the sword and tried to fight them off.

Being young he was no match for the soldiers of doom. A huge figure stepped in. He had white long hair that fell past his shoulders. He couldn't see the face though. It was covered in a mask. He was dressed in strange armor.

"Don't harm the boy, he is the one we're after. He will be a valuable asset to the group," the figure said.

"You'll have to fight me first!" Toshitada had challenged, pointing the sword at the figure. The sword was taller then Toshitada, but despite his age he had no problem picking up the heavy sword.

The figure laughed. With one easy swipe he grabbed the sword and had Toshitada in the other arm and left the house with the soldiers of doom following him.

Toshitada sank to his knees. "No, go away!"

"What's gotten into him?" Kento questioned as he continued to struggle against the chain. "One minutes he's ready to strike down Ryo and then the next second his babbling."

"Toshitada, listen to me. We are your friends. Ranswolve is your enemy. He is the one using you," Ryo stated in a firm tone.

"Neither of you are my allies!" Toshitada shouted in a crazed voice as he stood back up. He looked wildly about at all the people he had easily captured and wrapped up in the chains of his scythe. His kanji began to glow. Toshitada gave a malicious grin.

"My armor, where did it go?" Ryo commented as his armor vanished along with everyone else's. His eyes widened when he glanced at Toshitada whom was now wearing all nine armors. "How can that be?" He had only seen one person whom had worn all nine armors and that was Talpa. Ryo could only absorb five of the armors. This surprised him greatly.

"I have only known Talpa to do such a thing," Dais commented. "What does this mean? Why is Toshitada given such a gift?"

"Or is this Ranswolve's doing?" Sekhmet asked.

A blinding white light filled the area, when the light vanished, Ranswolve appeared before them. They all knew that this time it wasn't any illusion. "This is indeed a surprise," Ranswolve greeted. "I had a theory that this is what Talpa had in mind."

Swiftly, Ranswolve pulled out his sword and struck Toshitada. The sword barely made a scratch on the armor. Toshitada laughed. "What's wrong, Ranswolve, not happy that you aren't the one in control no more?" Toshitada's eyes flashed.

Toshitada then pulled out his sword and jabbed it into Ranswolve, only to find that he had struck Ryo instead. Ryo cried out in pain. Toshitada gasped when he saw blood on the sword.

"Ryo!" Mia shouted. Tears filled her eyes knowing that she couldn't do a thing to help her friend. Yet, no matter what the situation was he always tried to help her.

Toshitada glanced over at Mia. His heart suddenly felt heavy. He couldn't believe what he had just done. Ranswolve laughed.

"Come now, afraid of a little blood? I thought you wanted to kill the Ronin?" Ranswolve taunted.

"Quake with fear!" Toshitada shouted as he struck Ranswolve with his scythe. Chains sprang out in the ground where the scythe landed.

The attack surprised Ranswolve as the chains wrapped around him. Taking the chance Toshitada called upon all of the powers of the armors.

"Nooooooooo!" Ranswolve yelled as he was struck by all the power. Before he faded away, Ranswolve quickly jabbed his sword into Toshitada. With enough pressure he was able to break through the armor. Where Ranswolve stood all that remained was a black hole. Toshitada collapsed to the floor.

One by one the Ronins and warlords collapsed to the free the chains having vanished. At the same time the armors returned to their original owners. "Ryo!" Mia shouted as she ran to him. Ryo struggled to sit up, but found that it wasn't the best thing to do.

"Do you think he is actually gone?" Cye questioned.

"I hope so, but this was the strangest battle I have ever had," Kento said.

Sage rushed over to Ryo and placed his sword on the chest. "Lay still and you'll be feeling fine soon." Sage closed his eyes as he concentrated on healing the wound. He opened them once the wound was completely healed. "I knew I wasn't seeing things!" he suddenly commented. "Kento look over there!"

Sage pointed to the figure bending over the limp form of Toshitada. Only then did Sage finally recognize her. "Lady Kayura, in the Ancient One's clothes?"

The figure straightened and turned to face Sage. "You guys have done well. It looks as if you didn't need much of my help," Lady Kayura greeted. "Unfortunately Ranswolve is not completely gone, Toshitada managed to weaken him enough to allow me to prison Ranswolve."

"Then he is gone," Kento said, "At least to where we don't have to worry about him."

"But about the armor, how did Toshitada absorbed all our armor?" Dais asked. "I don't fully understand the concept."

"Toshitada has the gift of being able to use the elements of all your armor. Not exactly in that form but into any form he needed it to be. Only two people understood the full meaning behind this. That was the Ancient One and Talpa. Ranswolve was last to find out. These powers are like a fore shadow to what he could become.

"I know you guys are trying to find the connection about this. Talpa was the original wearer of your armor. Toshitada was not related to Talpa at all. It would make more sense if Ranswolve had the ability. I am sure he could if he could a hold of the armor. But for Ranswolve he would have to take the armor by force where the armor went willingly to Toshitada, even though at the time he was fighting for evil," Lady Kayura explained.

"So Toshitada is supposed to be the main key to our armor the one to link us all together?" Dais questioned. Lady Kayura nodded.

"But how come wearing the armor harms him?" Cye asked.

"In an attempt to keep a hold of Toshitada, Talpa continuously had the Nether Spirits fill his heart with darkness. At the same he had them insert a poison that interacted with the powers of the armor. When he tries to use the armor it will harm him, slowly eating away his body. Talpa feared that if Toshitada were to escape he would be a great danger. By doing this he felt reassured that Toshitada would not be much of a danger.

Although, I fear that Toshitada might not last too long. The poison has taken a great toll on him. With the blow he suffered from Ranswolve it might quicken the poison even more."

"Do you think he will be on our side?" Kento questioned, "Now that Ranswolve is gone."

"I think it's safe to say so. Before the snowstorm starts up again I suggest we head back home. I believe that someone is waiting for you there too."

"Oh no, Yulie, had said he would be arriving sometime today!" Mia commented. "I hope he's not mad with us."

"The cars should hopefully work now. I can't wait to get out of this snow," Sage said

"I wonder where Whiteblaze took off to," Ryo thought out loud.

"I wouldn't be surprised if I see him with Yulie," Mia answered with a smile. "I'm just more worried about Toshitada."

"He'll pull through, Mia. He has a lot of strength in him and I doubt he will let something like this hold him down," Ryo stated in a confident tone even though he had his doubts.

It seemed like an eternity as they trudged down to the cars. Dais took care of Toshitada after Sage was at least able to heal the wound that Ranswolve left behind. He still couldn't do a thing about the poison. That bothered him a lot.

Halfway down the road they met Yulie and Whiteblaze. Yulie waved his hand and was smiling when he caught up with them. "You're ok!" he shouted.

"Did you think we would get beaten that easily?" Ryo stated as he climbed out of the car. "It's nice to see you again, Yulie."

"What happened? Was it Talpa again?" Yulie asked with concern.

"In a way," Sage said, "But there's nothing to worry about the problem is solved."

"Well it had to be a big problem if the other warlords are with you," Yulie commented as he noted the three of them climbing out, along with Lady Kayura.

"I say we just relax and have some fun," Rowen said. "It would be good to be ourselves again."

"Let's have some food first," Kento said as his stomach growled. The five Ronins laughed.

While the rest clambered inside, Yulie pulled Ryo aside. "Who is the guy that Dais is carrying?"

As best he could Ryo explained to Yulie what had happened in the past year. "I am just glad that this didn't affect anyone else as it had the first time."

Yulie nodded. "All that happened? I would have never noticed anything was wrong. I guess the dreams I was having were a connection."

With in a few minutes Mia and Cye had quickly whipped a meal. Just as soon as they made it the meal quickly disappeared.

After spending a few hours talking amongst each other a game of baseball began and was played till it was too dark too see. The warlords had even joined in once they grasped the concept of the game.

*****

"How did I get here?" Toshitada asked as he slowly focused on his surroundings. Instantly he recognized that he was in Mia's home. Beside his bedside Mia smiled.

"I am glad to see that you're up. You've been asleep for three days."

"Ranswolve, Ryo," Toshitada said as he remembered what had happened. "Is Ryo ok?"

"Ranswolve has been imprisoned again. Ryo is fine. Sage was able to help him. You need to relax; you still need a lot of rest. You might want to look in the mirror too."

Toshitada gave her an odd glance. "Why would I want to do that?"

Mia laughed. "Just look, silly." She held up her hand mirror. Toshitada's eyes widened. His skin was no longer a shade of pasty white. His cheeks were no longer hollow looking. Color had returned to his skin. For the first time he realized that he wasn't feeling the dull pain that had constantly haunted him reminding him that he was still Talpa's servant.

"This isn't a joke and not some kind of trick? I don't have some kind of deal to make? Am I really free from Talpa?" Toshitada hesitantly asked, as he looked away from the mirror to study his hands that now had a healthy shade of pink.

"No, Toshitada, you're free. You know longer have to worry about Talpa or Ranswolve. You can now live a normal life and have the ability to choose what you want to do," Mia happily answered. "If you wish you are welcome to stay here."

For the first time since he could remember Toshitada smiled. "I would like that to be able to have a place to go to now. Is it ok if I go outside? I want to feel the sunshine again."

Mia's eyes filled with sorrow. It hurt her that Toshitada would request something that everyone else took for granted "I guess we can do that as long as you just sit in a chair. We can eat lunch with the others outside. It's a beautiful day."

"One thing I don't get. What cured the poison? I know Sage couldn't have done it. He tried before and was unsuccessful."

"I am not sure, Toshitada. Maybe it had to do with Ranswolve's imprisonment," Mia answered as she too tried to figure out the puzzle.

Toshitada quickly found that he didn't have as much energy as he thought he did. He would have fallen down right away if Mia hadn't caught him. "You can lean on me for support," Mia offered. Toshitada nodded and together they slowly headed down to the back porch.

Toshitada could hear laughter as he approached the porch. He saw Cye out in the lake swimming. Cye and Sage were laughing at Kento who had just gotten soaked by a wave, whom was originally lying down on the shore. Rowen was at the table reading. Ryo was playing with Whiteblaze. Kale and Sekhmet were no where to be found, although Dais was quietly reading in a chair. Toshitada didn't recognize the young woman that was walking along side the shoreline.

"Hi, Mia and Toshitada," Rowen greeted looking up quickly from his book. "I am glad to see that you are awake and looking well, Toshitada.

"I am still surprised by this," Toshitada replied with a grin. He then sat down in one of the empty chairs. Happily he closed his eyes as he took in the sun's warmth. He wanted to remember this moment for forever.

"Toshitada, do you want to go back to the Nether Realm with me?" Dais asked. "We could use your help to fix up the damage that Ranswolve caused. Kale and Sekhmet are already down there."

Toshitada opened his eyes. "I don't know. I sort of wish to be able to live a normal life. There is so much that I want to do that I was never given the opportunity to do. I don't think I am ready to go back to the Nether Realm. Yet, I want to help."

"If that is your wish to stay here then you may. You are always welcomed back in the Nether Realm when you are ready to come back. Your father seemed to have a love for the mortal realm too. He was happier here than he was at the Nether Realm," Dais answered.

"My father is Anubis?" Toshitada questioned. "No one has never confirmed that."

"Anubis is your father," Lady Kayura answered as she stepped up onto the porch. "He would have been very happy to know that you were alive. He had always believed you to be dead. He never knew that you were in the Talpa's castle the entire time he was there. I think if he had known, things would have been different."

"Were you the one in my dreams reminding me of why I had defied Talpa so long after I had joined him?" Toshitada questioned.

Lady Kayura shook her head no. "That would be the Ancient One. I am Lady Kayura one of his descendants. Your father had freed me when I was under Talpa's control. I had wanted to be able to repay his sacrifice. The Ancient One had sent me to make sure you were on the right path, yet I had failed and missed time the event. I am glad that everything could still be straightened out."

"Maybe you can explain what cured the poison?" Mia questioned.

"The cure was so simple that not even Talpa would have suspected it. Love. Talpa had made sure to fill his heart with dark thoughts like hatred and corruption. He also had the Nether Spirits to enforce those dark feelings. Toshitada had only Talpa or the Nether Spirits to turn to most his life. He was unable to experience any other feelings.

When Toshitada broke away from Talpa it allowed him the chance to begin to feel again, experience new feelings he didn't know he had. Those feelings slowly began to break through the dark hold the Nether Spirits had. Then Ranswolve came and reinforced the hold that Talpa once had.

It was your love, Mia, and the care of the Ronins and even Dais's that broke the spell. Many forget that love is as powerful as any kind of magic," Lady Kayura explained.

*****

Once everyone had relaxed and were well rested one by one the Ronins left to head for their own homes. Dais and Lady Kayura had left the day before. Ryo was the last to leave. Toshitada pulled him aside before he could leave.

"I just wanted to apologize for what I had done for what I did," Toshitada said.

"Your apology is accepted if you accept mine. I was a fool too. I should have been more open minded." Ryo held out his hand. Toshitada took it and gave it a firm shake.

"It will be my honor to offer my services to the Ronin warriors," Toshitada offered.

"Why are you offering your services when you are a Ronin?" Ryo questioned with a smile.

Surprise filled Toshitada's eyes. He then smiled. "You're right. I am one of the Ronins."

"Just make sure Mia is ok when we're not around," Ryo said with wink. He then climbed into the car and drove off.

Toshitada watched till the car was no longer in his site. Slowly he turned away and headed back to the house, where he now had a home to go to and people to rely on.

*****
Disclaimer: I don't own Ronin Warriors.

Author's Note: I want to thank those who helped me with this story, especially Moonmage who had taken the time to edit this story for me. I still need to fix a minor detail in Past Memories.