Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Vamps and Ronins ❯ Tipping of the Scales ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Vamps and Ronins

Chapter Ten: Tipping of the Scales

Written by: Tiasha

~

At times life is wicked and I just can't see the light

A silver lining sometimes isn't enough

To make some wrongs seem right

Whatever life brings

I've been through everything

And know I'm on my knees again

But I know I must go on

Although I hurt I must be strong

Because inside I know that many feel this way

Creed, "Don't Stop Dancing"

~

Robyn ignored the pain in her shoulder as she continued running down the various hallways of the twenty-five and over club. It had only been about ten minutes since she had left Scott's company to escape this place and already she had encountered about four men. All had attempted to capture her but luck was on her side for they all had failed.

The first had tried to stop her by grabbing her arm but she had yanked it free and quickly rendered him unconscious by ducking and allowing him to knock his own head on the wall in the process. The second she had downed in a similar fashion, only kicking him very hard in the shin after she had ducked and scurried out of the way. Third man to have attempted in capturing her, found himself locked into a room, her having placed a chair under the knob. It working was what had surprised her the most.

The fourth man was the reason her shoulder was throbbing for he had yanked on her arm so badly that it felt like he had pulled it out of its socket. And when she had tried to punch him, it merely grazed his cheek, leaving him quite irritated at her. If Scott had not miraculously shown up and grabbed the man, she most likely would be back in Dragon's office.

Turning the corner, she cursed spotting another two men, jogging down the hall in her direction. She quickly moved out of sight.

"Damn, damn, damn," she muttered, pressing herself back against the wall. Sighing and grabbing the folds of her kimono, she turned the corner and ran full speed at one of the men. She knocked him down, quickly threw a punch at the other man and took off down the hallway while the two men were still recovering.

A gunshot rang throughout the hallway and a piece of plaster fell from the ceiling in front of her. She screamed, dodging the sheetrock and accidentally tripping on the kimono in the process. Another gunshot echoed through the hall and Robyn felt the bullet pass straight on through her arm. She screamed again, clutching her wounded arm as the two men advanced on her.

"The boss isn't goin' to be happy with ya shootin' at 'er," the unarmed man stated to his co-worker.

The other shrugged nonchalantly, "Who cares, as long as she's still in our keep."

Tears streamed down Robyn's face as her arm throbbed in rhythm with her shoulder. Why couldn't they just leave her alone? Why couldn't she just lead a normal life?! Why?!

"Why?!" she screamed at the men in rage, "Why can't you all just leave me alone?!"

The armed man laughed at her, cocking the gun as he approached her. She glared at him, anger and hatred beginning to override all senses. Why? That was the one question running through her head…why?

"Go away!" she screamed at them, no longer fighting whatever she had held confined in the recesses of her mind upon waking up in Tregarde's office. She knew that whatever it was, it was evil but she didn't care at this point. She didn't care at all. She'd almost be happier dead if it meant that she could leave this nightmare that was her life and that the guys would not be involved in any of this anymore because of her.

"LEAVE ME ALONE!" she screamed at the men, feeling a sudden wave of that dark energy wash over her and cloud her sense of reasoning. She watched as the two men flew backwards as if hit by some unseen force that was ten-times stronger than any man. They crashed against the far end of the hallway with a loud resounding thud and lay unmoving. She swallowed as her mouth became dry with realization. She had killed them.

She stared at their motionless bodies, struggling in a bottomless abyss, fighting those evil dark thoughts, negative energy and hatred. She was losing the battle though; it was too much for her to fight against now. She had not known that those waves of dark energy would be so powerful; if she had, she would not have released them from the area she had banned them to. Now, she struggled to shove them back to that corner and lock them away, but she failing and failing terribly.

She clutched her head as pain ripped through her mind. Why should she stop this energy? She could put an end to all of this crap that was going on and go about her life again. Why was she denying all this glorious power?

Because it's evil! Nothing good ever comes from evil! her heart screamed at her mind. Pain ripped through her body as the struggle continued. What was happening to her?

But she wanted to save the guys…was that wrong? She wanted to make sure they never had to fight again…was that wrong too? She wanted to protect those angels just like they had protected her…how could that be wrong?

She screamed out as those dark waves of negative energy crashed around her and dragged her down into that endless abyss of darkness. She was drowning and no matter how hard she tried, she could not free herself from the grip that evil force had on her.

Looking at the two motionless bodies down the hallway, something snapped and Robyn smiled cruelly at them. The waves of darkness continued to crash around her mind, a twisting, churning, and raging blackness. The last thought of purity she held before the dark waves completely surrounded her was that she had drowned. She had drowned in that black abyss of evil and negativity.

"Well, I did warn you," she whispered maliciously at the dead bodies before standing up. As she stood, another handful of guards turned the corner and stared at the bodies before turning their gazes toward her. She raised her arm and flicked her wrist nonchalantly, watching with delight as they were thrown against the wall. A deafening collection of thuds and cracks echoed into her ears, the same as the first two. They all laid motionless along side their comrades.

She turned and levitated herself off down the hallway without giving them a second thought. She wanted out of this prison and to find the son of a bitch who had placed her in it. And when she did find him…he would pay dearly!

---

Karasu ran down the hallway as fast as he could and turned the corner only to halt in his tracks. He came face to face with the psi-vamp Scott Masters. He narrowed his black eyes at him, frowning as Scott did the same.

"What do you want traitor?" Karasu growled at the chestnut haired young man.

"I'm not letting you take her back," was the reply.

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm not letting you take her back to Tregarde."

"The Hell with Tregarde! Phoenix will kill me if she knows I let her out of my sight!"

Scott seemed startled at Karasu's comment, taking a step backwards. The psi-vamp eyed him cautiously before asking somewhat hesitantly, "Whose side are you on, anyway?"

Karasu glared at him, "I could ask you the same question. Why'd you do it?"

"Tregarde…he…he said that Cody had died because of that stupid armor and…that the only way to avenge her would be to bring him the girl and the armor-"

"But Cody is alive!"

"I know that now! By the time I found out…it was too late…I couldn't back out…"

"You sold yourself to him, didn't you?! You actually sold your life to him?! Even I didn't do that!" Karasu shouted at the young psi-vamp. Scott winced at the tone, sincere regret reflecting in his violet eyes.

"I-I-I didn't know what to do! I just thought-"

"Well you thought wrong pal! You destroyed her! Robyn-she trusted you and you betrayed her! Do have any idea how she felt?!" Karasu shouted at Scott, remembering the pained look in her eyes. She had looked so lost and scared, betrayed and frightened. Karasu's heart clenched in sympathy just at the memory of Robyn's vivid green eyes looking at him with curiosity when he'd apologized to her.

"How would you know?!" Scott shouted back venomously.

"I looked at her traitor! You wouldn't even watch what happened to her thanks to your handy-work!"

"Like you have room to speak Flesh-Gaki!"

"At least I know what fully happened to her so I can understand where my guilt comes from Psi-Vamp!"

Any retort Scott had prepared for him was cut off by the building quaking violently without warning. Karasu took one look at Scott's expression and knew that what ever had caused the building to shake could NOT be a good thing. Then Karasu remembered what Tregarde had told him. Robyn and Tregarde's Dark Emperor were linked now, whatever evil the Emperor possessed would threaten to take over Robyn's entire existence. The only way to prevent it would be if she recognized a constant in her life. But how was she to do that if she was out of her right state of mind?

"Come on, we've got to find her before she gets hurt," Scott said, darting pass the Karasu.

"You mean before she hurts anyone," Karasu muttered, following the pony-tailed psi-vamp.

---

Cye watched as the atarashii twins rebounded off the sides of the buildings, sub-armor already on and their cloaks billowing eerily around them. He quickly followed, donning his sub-armor and rebounding off the buildings to the roof of the 25+ Club. Upon reaching the top, Cye watched as Mariko surveyed the area cautiously. He heard the others land behind him as he went and stood next to Cody, waiting for the bearer of Phoenix to finish.

"You said Robyn was causing all of this, how?" Ryo questioned the other Ronin of Fire. Mariko frowned as she stood and crossed her arms, in front of them, cloak shrouding her from the light of the city.

"Don't know. I just overheard one Tregarde's lackeys tell him so."

Cye growled in frustration and turned to go back into the club and search for his redhead companion himself. He paused however, as a loud crash sounded from the loft and a young Chinese man was thrown several yards across the expansive roof. Scott somersaulted out of the loft and landed on his feet, taking a fighting stance.

"Shit! When'd she get all that strength?" the Chinese man cursed, standing slowly. The two did not even seem to notice them as they obviously waited for something or someone to follow them.

"YOU!" Cody screamed suddenly, glaring at the Chinese man.

"Aw damn it! Cye grab her!" Mariko yelled at him just as Cody raced towards the Chinese man. Cye grabbed her left arm and struggled to grab her other arm until Rowen grabbed it and the two of them held her back. She continued to struggle against them and Cye was surprised to find her strength a match for the two of them.

"YOU! I'LL KILL YOU! I'M GONNA KILL YOU THE SAME WAY YOU DID MY PARENTS YOU, BASTARD!" Cody screamed over and over again in a blind rage, until Mariko came and backhanded her sister across the face.

"SHUT UP GAEA!" Mariko shouted just as loud as her twin. Cye winced at the volume the two were using; who knew they could be so loud too? His ears felt like they were about to burst! Seeing Rowen wince in a similar fashion, Cye knew that the bearer of Strata agreed with him. Not only were the two strong but loud as well.

"He killed our parents, Mariko!" Cody cried out at her elder sister.

"And he must live with that knowledge for the rest of his life."

"But…they'd still be alive! Please let me avenge them!"

Mariko shook her head, frowning in disbelief at her younger sister's plea. "They'd be ashamed of you if you did and you know it, Gaea."

Cody suddenly went limp in their arms as she crumbled to the ground in defeat. Obviously Mariko knew how to land a blow to her sister hard enough and in just the right spot. The younger twin sobbed violently in anger, confusion and defeat while the elder one merely looked on placidly.

"Don't you think you could have been a bit more compassionate?" Rowen asked, frowning as Mariko regarded him emotionlessly. Cye watched as the bearer of Phoenix bent down, gathered her sister to where she could stand and turned back to Rowen. She raised an eyebrow at Strata as he narrowed his eyes and took Cody away from her.

"I have practically no recollection of them and right now there are more important matters," was all Mariko could say before the roof shook and a hole appeared in the cement; the cement was thrown into the air and crashed, shattering and crumbling, against the roof.

Light illuminated the hole before a dark shadow obscured it. All Cye could see of the shadow was a flowing black and gold kimono and red curls; the face was still cast in the shadows but a sickening feeling rushed over him as his armor's soul shifted in anxiety and recognition. Some how, he knew that was Robyn.

The shadow floated a few feet in the air, bent as if preparing to charge at the two young men in front of it. It paused to stretch lazily, taking a deep breath of the cool night air and laughed wickedly.

"Finally! I'm free of that infernal building! I thought I was going to be stuck in there forever! Mm, freedom never felt so GOOD!" the shadow exclaimed in an ethereal voice, which sounded much like Robyn's, and turned to look around it, it's eyes resting on them.

Cody had ceased her sobbing to stare at the newest threat through tear-blurred eyes. Rowen moved so that he blocked the shadow's path to Cody, should it attempt anything.

The shadow laughed suddenly and it's laughter sent a chill up Cye's spine. "More toys to play with. Dragon is too kind."

"Robyn, is that really you?" Cye called out to the shadow and the shadow seemed slightly taken aback. It floated out of the light and shadow towards them, pausing a few yards away. The city lights now illuminated the shadow and Cye could see that it was indeed she. Her red hair had been pulled back and done into tight sausage curls; her green eyes were now many shades lighter and held an icy tone to them, while her skin seemed much paler than normal. Cye shuddered.

"Cye…" she whispered in confusion, "what-what are you all doing here?" She floated a few more feet closer and stopped, almost unsure if she should really come any closer to them. Her posture betrayed her strict, uncaring face; it seemed to say that she was afraid of them and afraid of what they would do to her. Cye frowned at that and watched as she again hesitantly floated forward and stop. Why was she afraid of them? What had they done to her to make her afraid of them, her friends?!

Cye stared at her, guilt swelling in him as he saw how different she was. She no longer seemed like the carefree, innocent, childish Robyn he had grown to care for. Now she held an animalistic air, radiating such dark, negative energy that he stepped backwards involuntarily. He automatically prepared to defend himself, all the while telling himself how ridiculous he was being. After all this was Robyn…but then again, Robyn was definitely not her self at the moment either.

Robyn allowed her indifferent demeanor to fall and the hurt she felt at his action show. She instinctively wrapped her arms around her torso, hugging herself as if Cye had landed a physical blow to her. She glared at him, tears forming in her eyes and lip trembling slightly. She shook her head as if in denial of something and Cye felt absolutely terrible.

"All I wanted to do was help…" she whispered to them, "I just wanted to help you all."

"Help us how?" Kento asked her and Cye watched as she snapped her head in his direction, rage sweeping through her now ice green eyes. She seemed prepared to snap at him for such a question, not really comprehending the meaning behind it.

Tread carefully Ronins…she is near the breaking point…be wary of what you say… Mariko sent through their armors, not willing to risk angering Robyn even more by speaking.

"How? I was going to get rid of Dragon! That's how I was going to help! Do you think me that incapable?!"

"You didn't need to worry about that Robyn," Ryo said gently, light humor lacing his sentences, "We could have taken care of him in no time. Nothing can stand against us, remember?"

"Perhaps…but not against," she pressed a hand to her abdomen, "this…no not this…this is too powerful for you all…"

"What are you saying Robyn?"

"You can't win Wildfire…it's impossible. The world is doomed."

"Even you can't believe that Robyn," Sage interjected, crossing his arms.

"And why not Halo?! Who said I could not believe such things?!"

Halo! Tread carefully! Do not cause her to break! Mariko hissed through the armor souls.

"Because it's not like you Robyn," Sage responded calmly.

"Yeah, what happened to the Robyn who once told me the only way to live a good life was to dance like no one was watching?" Rowen chimed in, cradling Cody's slightly limp body.

Robyn paused and studied Rowen for a moment before looking at all of them in turn. "I just wanted to help," she whimpered. "I wanted to keep you all safe…"

"Hey, you still can! Just forget about Dragon and we'll all go home," Kento said encouragingly. "Besides, Channy really wants to see you again."

Robyn smiled at that, "Really? I can just forget about all this and go home?"

"Of course! Did you think we'd leave you here?" Cye asked her, watching as she slowly considered her answer to his question.

She shrank back slightly, ashamed, "I thought that…I was afraid you'd all…hate me…now that…"

"We could never hate you Robyn!"

"But I've-I've-I killed people! Just now!"

Cye bit back a cry of frustration as he saw the look in her eyes. She honestly thought that they would hate her for killing some people? Yes, it was definitely not the kind of thing the Robyn he knew would do but she was so confused at this point. She seemed so lost and unsure that he was willing to put that aside. It wasn't her fault, he told himself.

"You're right wench, how could they not hate you?" a male voice rumbled. Cye frowned, where had he heard that voice before? It was just recently but he could not think of whom.

"Stay away from me!" Robyn suddenly screamed, whirling around to face the newcomer. Cye watched as Dragon laughed, leaning against the side of the loft. He was in black and hunter green sub-armor, while electricity danced around him wildly and dangerously.

"Now pet…I told you the rules and I fear that I must do justice to my threat," he said steely, pushing himself off of the loft. Cye watched as he moved forward with an animal-like grace, like a predator, and stop as if preparing to attack.

"What do you mean?" she asked him quietly.

Throwing his arm out in Scott's direction, Cye watched as electricity laced around his arm and shot towards the psi-vamp. The psi-vamp began to convulse and scream out in pain as Dragon continued, before finally dropping to his knees slowly, and then fall unmoving.

"Stop!Stop it! STOP IT!" she screamed, flicking her arm in his direction. Dragon was immediately thrown back a couple of yards. She floated over to Scott quickly, turning her back to Dragon.

Dragon struggled to stand while Robyn cried out in rage. "You killed him!"

"That was the whole point wench," Dragon said maliciously, spitting some blood out of his mouth. "I said I would dispose of the collaborator."

"You bastard!" she screamed, throwing her arm as if to punch him from a distance. The unseen force plowed into Dragon with such immense force that it sent him flying off the roof of the club and a couple of blocks away.

Cye watched in shock as Dragon disappeared out of sight before looking at Robyn. She was breathing harshly and her body was shaking with what he guessed was exhaustion. Cye quickly ran to her and caught her as she fell suddenly.

"So tired…" she whispered.

"It's all right Robyn," he assured her. "You'll be fine when you wake up. We'll be here for you."

"Promise?"

"I promise."

"Okay," she whispered before promptly passing out. Cye turned, holding Robyn, and looked at Mariko.

"Now what?" he asked her. She had been silent the whole time and Cye wondered if she even knew what she was doing. She had been wrong about the armor, what else could she be wrong about?

"Give me a sec," she said and moved to converse with the Chinese man before returning to them. "Karasu is still going to play spy so go ahead and take her to Miss Koji's."

"What about the hospital?" Sage inquired, frowning.

"Not the best place for her. She won't be safe."

"So, to Mia's it is huh?" Cye asked again. Mariko nodded and he sighed, jumping off the roof to the next in the direction of Mia's.

~*~~*~~~*~~~~*~~~~~*

Arain sighed, kicking a pebble in front of him as strolled down the sidewalk of Toyama. It was well past his curfew but he could have cared less at the moment. He had felt a sudden need to get away from the house, ever since he had met his neighbor Ryo if the truth were to be known. There was a nagging in the back of his mind and it was causing Arain to become restless.

He paused in his steps as he came across a New Age store; the statue of Juno in the window caught his eye and his interest sparked at seeing the familiar figure. Upon seeing the store still open, Arain entered and was instantly assaulted with the smell of spiced apples. Incense was burning here and there and pleasant music was playing in the background.

There was some shuffling behind a deep blue velvet curtain placed behind a counter and Arain watched as a beautiful young blonde woman with red eyes appeared from behind it. She smiled at him kindly and Arain thought she was the Goddess Venus for a moment, so kind and innocent, she certainly fit the Goddess category at least.

He smiled but stumbled backwards when she gasped and pointed at him, crying "You-you-you-you're the one! You're the one its been looking for!"

"Excuse me?" he asked cautiously, backing away towards the door. Only now did Arain notice that no one else was in the store at this hour. He was about to turn and race out the door when she flicked her wrist and the doors slammed shut, the sign that said open now saying closed. He heard the locks turn and Arain cried out in fear. What was going on?

"What do you want?" he asked her, staring at her red eyes in fear.

"Why only you dear boy. I've been searching for you for quite some time," she replied gently, kindly to him as if to assure him of something.

"W-w-why?" he stuttered.

She again smiled gently at him. "It's all right Arain, I have no intention of hurting you," she whispered kindly, coming out from behind the counter.

"How-how-how do you know my name?"

"I know much more than that. You see your Gods did exist once, all mythical creatures existed at some point in time. In Japan, many still do such as gakis and golems…and armors."

"What-"

"I have a story to tell you," she whispered and the lights in the store dimmed until only the soft glow of candlelight filled it. The incense smoke began to curl into a huge cloud in between he and the woman, staying put instead of floating upward.

"What kind of story?" he asked, concluding that this woman was some type of witch. "And what are gakis? I know what golems are and what is this about armors? What are you?"

"Let me begin the story-actually it's a legend. A long time ago, there was a demonic being that was held in another world called the Nether Realm. He was known as Emperor Talpa…"

~*~~*~~~*~~~~*~~~~~*

Mariko drew in a startled breath as Robyn spontaneously thrashed about in Cye's arms, catching the latter off guard. Cye quickly grabbed her again before she could land on her rear end and again was startled when she ceased abruptly, lying dormant in his arms. Seeing no immediate threat, they continued having only a few more miles to go before reaching Mia's place. A few moments later, however, Mariko could see Robyn's head begin to thrash about as if in the throngs of a terrible nightmare.

That was not a good sign; she came in line to next to Cye, watching as the redhead continued whip from side to side and her face portrayed a slightly terrified look. Wanting to double check the symptoms before alerting the others, she stretched her senses outward toward the young redhead, descending past the astral plane to another which she was sure even Halo could not reach; there it was pitch black as she scanned the sea of darkness which was Robyn's astral plane, the place where her own soul rested and ran free. The pitch-blackness startled Mariko as she had assumed it would be at the worst somewhat gray. White and gold lightening streaked across the plane as the thunder of a normal storm was replaced with Robyn's own screams.

Robyn? What happened? she called out.

Where to go……what to choose………what now? Who……where………make it stop………what to choose………… Robyn's voice whispered across the astral plane.

Oh no…no, don't worry! Don't choose yet! she screamed at the voice. With frightening speed, Mariko threw herself back to regular plane only to find herself standing still and the others looking at her curiously.

"Mariko, what just happened? Your eyes-" Kento began but she cut him off moving towards Robyn's thrashing head. She cursed when she could not hold Robyn's head still.

"Damn it, Cody hold her head!" she hissed at her younger sister. Her sister quickly complied and Mariko peeled back the redhead's eyelids only to find the pupils greatly dilated.

"What's going on?" Ryo asked, looking at Robyn's dilated pupils with concern.

"She can't choose and is rejecting both-can't decide and can't balance both the dark and little light left. We have to hurry!" Mariko hurriedly explained, racing the last mile to Mia's.

Not even bothering to knock, Mariko jiggled the knob hard enough to break the lock and rushed into the house screaming at the top of her lungs for Mia to grab all the pillows and blankets she could. She motioned for Cye to lay Robyn on the couch and turned to find Mia staring at them all, startled.

"What's going on?" she questioned but Mariko ignored it and again asked for the blankets and pillows. Mia nodded and quickly left to retrieve them, Ryo following to help.

Taking a deep breath, Mariko calmed herself before turning to look at Halo. The hardest part would be to convince him to be the redhead's anchor at this time. But as she looked at him, she began to doubt.

"Sage, I'm going to need your help on this. IF it were any other case I'd ask Cye since Robyn seems to be closer to him than the rest of you but under the circumstances you're it," she stated, moving to take the blankets from Ryo as he and Mia returned. She spread a few out on top of each other, forming two pads next to the couch Robyn was in.

Taking the pillows she continued, "I did not know that she was drowning but with the void I should have known better but we certainly could not have done anything out in the open on the roof either. She needs an anchor and with the darkness raging around her, you're the best chance she's got since you counteract that darkness. So my question is, will you travel to her own astral plane and convince her to come back with you? I will have to guide you and be your own anchor 'cause I sure as Hell ain't letting you in there without one."

She watched as Sage slowly nodded, "What do I need to do?"

She sighed and motioned to one of the two paddings and he raised an eyebrow at her as he moved to the farthest one from the couch. Mariko looked to Cody to find her all ready banishing her sub-armor and fishing through a leather pouch that dangled from one of her jean belt loops.

---

Cody found the powder she was looking for and handed it to her eldest sister, watching as she told Sage to relax his mind and sprinkled the powder on his forehead. A grin appeared on the younger twin's face as Sage was almost instantly out like a light. Mariko then laid down on the other padding and dropped the remaining powder on herself, quickly following Sage into a dream-like state.

"So now what?" Rowen asked, crossing his arms just having banished his own sub-armor and watched the three forms expectantly. Robyn continued to thrash about occasionally and Cody moved to place hand on her forehead. She was burning up with a fever!

"Miss Koji, please get me a cold cloth. She's got a fever and I dare not give her anything while they search for her soul," she politely asked the brunette. Mia nodded, smiling weakly at her as she left for the kitchen.

"Searching for her soul? What are you guys doing to Robyn anyway?" Kento asked, frowning as Robyn cried out softly in pain.

"Like my sister said, Robyn can't decide on the dark or the light, which is making her sick. She needs to balance both to survive, that's the way she was created, pure of heart but with a dark void. Now that this evil seed is in her it's throwing her whole light and dark balance off completely."

"But why does she need Sage's help?" Ryo questioned, also watching the distressed redhead.

"Since she now has more dark than light thanks to that seed of evil, Sage's soul and the Halo armor will provide her with enough light to counteract and balance the contrast…for a time at least."

"So Sage is the only one who can save her at this point?"

"Only if she accepts him…and that is where our prayers lay. If she rejects him and the light he offers, she'll break completely. She will be mentally unbalanced when she wakes up, should she reject the light."

"Mentally unbalanced…as in insane?" Kento probed. Cody nodded and thanked Mia as the brunette handed her the cold cloth.

"Now all we can do is wait for the decision," she whispered, dabbing the young girl's forehead. Robyn's face was drawn tight with pain and Cody felt her armor's soul stir slightly, realizing that even through the darkness, Robyn's determination was as strong as ever. The redhead was struggling relentlessly for an answer or solution and Cody prayed that she didn't break from the strain.

Cye shifting anxiously caught her attention and she sighed, allowing her maroon eyes to meet his worried green ones. Biting her lower lip, she placed the cloth on Robyn's forehead, dug through her leather pouch and pulled out a plastic bag of tealeaves, cloves, eucalyptus, peppermint and chamomile. She tossed the plastic bag at him, smiling gently when he caught it and gave her a questioning look.

"Make some tea…it'll calm all our nerves so that our own auras don't conflict with them," she explained. She quickly turned her attention back to Robyn as she let out another painful cry.

"Just out of curiosity…but if Sage is supposed to be Robyn's anchor and Mariko is Sage's…whose is Mariko's?" Rowen questioned, eyeing the older twin skeptically. "She's not doing this with no anchor herself is she?"

Cody chuckled weakly, "No, no, of course not! She's no fool with an over-sized ego. She knows her limits…though she does push them at times. No, I'm her anchor. Since we are twins, naturally blood-related and both possess armors, she is still able to understand me when I speak to her but anyone else and it's like talking to a rock. So, while she is surveying the astral plane and guiding Halo, I observe the norm and then tell her what is happening.

"I just hope Robyn has enough sense to accept Sage and the light. Her soul is in such confusion it is hard to say what she'll choose."

---

Mariko was right when she had said that Robyn was drowning in darkness because black was all he could see. Sage shuddered as the evil blackness slowly became aware of his presence and began to churn around him. How could she even possibly survive for a couple of hours in this darkness let alone live with it for her whole life?

Profound sympathy flooded over him, as he truly understood why she feared anything about her past. It always reminded her of how different she was and that she had been born with this darkness instead of having the option of choosing it. Not that she would have chosen it, for her personality portrayed differently, but she had been given this darkness. It had been forced upon her and she had not even known why. She still did not no doubt.

'Sage…' Mariko's voice called over the distance of blackness. 'Sage, while I am confining myself as your anchor I cannot take an astral form. I am half in and half out of this plane. Cody is standing as my own anchor which why I am half-and-half.'

'So, what are you saying? What plane am I in?' he asked her.

'You are in Robyn's personal astral plane, the plane is which her soul resides. I can merely guide you in what actions to take, so please listen to me for a change?' she requested, slight humor in her voice.

'All right then, what's first?'

'Find her, search through the darkness and find her. Let me know when you do.'

Search for her in this darkness? How was he to do that? The darkness was like a London fog; he could barely see his hand when his arm is outstretched. And he wanted him to search for her? He growled in frustration as he moved forward, not knowing what other action to take. He focused part of his energy however, fending off the darkness that was threatening to crash against him.

A scream shattered his concentration a few moments later. The scream sounded exactly like the one from his nightmare and panic overtook his body. He lurched forward as he broke out running and was thankful to find no barrier in his way.

"Robyn!" he shouted in to the darkness. "Robyn, answer me!"

At times life is wicked and I just can't see the light, her voice sung softly, floating among the darkness of her astral plane.

"Robyn answer me please!" he called again. He ran through the black atmosphere, forcing down the sudden hysteria that was beginning to bubble in him. Why was he so out of control of his emotions? It was always Robyn who got under his skin, knew how to push just the right buttons; always Robyn who would goad him into doing something on a whim…occasionally.

Another scream broke through his thoughts and white/gold lightening flashed above him. Sage paused for a moment; the scream had come from a different direction now and at the same time echoing from all sides due to the infernal darkness! He could not pinpoint her location!

"Robyn where are you?" he shouted and waited for an answer.

A silver lining sometimes isn't enough to make some wrongs seem all right…she once again sang.

"It's me Sage! Robyn, answer me!"

Whatever life brings, I've been through everything, and now I'm on knees again…

"Robyn! Stop singing and answer me!"

But I know I must go on. Although I hurt I must be strong…

"Sage?" her voice called softly. "Sage, is that you?"

Another cream echoed across the darkness, followed by malicious laughter that grew in volume as the screams grew louder.

"Robyn!" he yelled, racing towards the fearful sounds.

The darkness gave way suddenly, revealing a border of light and dark. Sage automatically moved to the side of light, sighing as he instantly felt more secure. There was a pained sob however, as the light calmed him.

He turned quickly to the border and found his redhead companion, only there were two of her now! One was draped in a pure white robe-like gown and her hair was straight, cascading past her shoulders. She seemed as if she were straining to reach the border but could not due to the other Robyn who held her back, the darker Robyn. The darker one was dressed in a deep purple gown that was off the shoulders and plunged dangerously low while her red sausage-curled hair was pulled back into a bun. Both wore a necklace of gold and silver that was designed in the shape of a web, and both were on the side of darkness.

"Robyn?" he called out and the two paused their struggle to regard him in surprise.

"Sage?" they echoed in unison.

'Mariko, what's going on? Why are there two of her?' he asked.

'She's been split, she can no longer balance both sides. Her side of light is too weak to withstand against her darker half. Convince her to join you and the others quickly!' Mariko hissed at him.

Sage took a deep breath; "Robyn, what's wrong?"

The two regarded him quizzically, "What do you mean?"

"Why are you doing this?"

"I don't know…"

"Yes you do, why would you be fighting yourself if you didn't?"

"I can't………I can't…………"

Sage growled in frustration. This was getting him nowhere!

'Have patience, Halo. She is trying to say that she can't decide on either side.'

Calming himself, he tried again. "Robyn, what do you want?" he asked gently.

"I want to forget……forget everything………"

"Why?"

"Because it hurts!"

"What hurts?"

"Knowing that I was created for this single purpose! To bring destruction and evil into the world! Knowing that they never really cared…"

"Who never really cared, Robyn?" he questioned, already knowing the answer. But if he could get her to confide in her, then he could convince her to go back with him.

"My…my…why do you care?!"

"I'm you're friend Robyn. We all are."

"Nice way of showing it…"

"Robyn, please-"

"Please what?"

"Please come back with me and we can all get through this together."

"How?"

"We'll find a way. The others are waiting for us…please."

"You guys care…why? What makes you all care so much about me?"

"You're personality…the way you accept everyone for who they are, giving every one a chance, I suppose."

"My parents never cared…why?! Why couldn't they just love me?!" the two voices cracked and they both sounded like a lost and confused child.

"I'm not sure…they had problems, Robyn."

"But…"

"Come with me and we'll find a way to get through this! Please!" he begged.

"Is there a way?" they asked in unison, sounding cold and doubtful. They watched him warily as he approached the border and held his hand to them.

"What are you-" she began to ask.

"Come with me please, Robyn. We care about you and we can't stand to see you like this."

"But I can't decide…"

"You don't have to yet! Just take my hand and we can go back!"

The lighter Robyn strained against her other half, stretching her arm as far as she could go and Sage reached across the border, grabbing her wrist and pulling. Lightening flashed above with such intensity as the two screamed out in pain.

Sage watched in horror as the two melded into one right in front of his very eyes. The darker half screaming louder than the other, a lightening bolt struck them as soon as the two were merged. Robyn's hair was pulled back into a ponytail, still sausage curled and wore a white version of the off the shoulder gown, only more modest. She had stopped screaming.

"Robyn?" he whispered, brushing a few strands away from eyes to see her face clearly.

She blinked a few times before bursting into tears and clinging to him suddenly. Sage stiffened instinctively as she buried her face into his chest, crying immensely. He pushed aside the uneasy feeling that had risen in him and awkwardly held.

"Robyn, are you all right?" he questioned softly.

"I'm so scared! I don't know what to do!" she cried, tears still falling.

'She's ready to return now. We must leave quickly before you shift the scales too much,' Mariko said across his mind.

'How do we-'

Sage felt the strange sensation of falling backwards but was startled at the speed at which he was falling. He felt himself slow down before hitting something. Somewhere along the way Robyn had been torn from him and he had heard cry out in fear.

He sat up abruptly, breathing harshly and found himself in Mia's living room in the same spot from before he'd gone to find Robyn. Mariko sat up, stretching her arms lazily and blinked sleepily before turning to the coach. Cye was already at Robyn's side, helping her to sit up as she looked around with a dazed expression.

"Robyn, are you okay?" Cye asked as she shook her head.

"Yeah, sure…I-I-I'm sorry you guys…" she whispered, hanging her head.

Sage winced as he felt a slight headache coming on. He rubbed his temples, squeezing his eyes shut at the pain but quickly opened them as steam wafted into his face. He stared at a cup of tea being held out to him by Cody. The bearer of Gaea smiled reassuringly at him.

"It'll help with the headache," she said and he frowned at her. How had she known he had a headache?

"How-" he began but stopped when Mariko groaned in pain.

The latter stood up groggily, stumbling towards the kitchen. "Don't be complaining Halo, you're headache has even reached its full capacity. Me on the other hand…I hope you made more of that tea Cody-chan," the bearer of Phoenix stated, leaving the living room.

"She's right, don't complain. You'll be sorry later when you have a huge-ass migraine. I've done that traveling with her before and those things are killers. Trust me," Cody laughed, again handing him the tea. Sage docilely accepted it.

"Now, I suggest rest for you guys, and that includes you sister dear!" Cody ordered as Mariko reentered the living room, sipping her newfound cup of tea.

Mariko winced, "Not so loud…jeez, make me pass out why don't ya?"

"I need some time alone…" Robyn said suddenly, leaving the room with her own tea that Cye had just given her. "I need some time think…"

Sage watched, as Cye was about to object but stopped when Cody shook her head sadly. None of the others bothered stopping the redhead either. Sage calmly sipped his tea, sitting Indian-style on the floor for he felt too tired to move and he watched her leave; maybe things would slow down now, but something told him it was not.