Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Unfinished Business ❯ Should I Stay or Should I Go? ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

******************************************************* ***************

DISCLAIMER: I do not own Inu Yasha and company nor do I own Rurouni Kenshin and the crew. The story idea, as far as I know, is mine.

****************************************************************** ****

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Well, here is the second installment, and it is the longest chapter that I have written...in any of the stories that I have done. I just didn't want to stop. While this follows along with the anime, there are also my own touches thrown in, and I took some liberties with the anime as well. As always, please read and enjoy. And drop me a line to let me know what you think! = D

********************************************************************** **

Chapter 2--Should I Stay or Should I Go?

Kaoru sat in in the hot water for a few seconds, too shocked to do anything else. Then with a quick glance at the man still prostrate on the floor, she clambered out of the bath and dressed quickly. After a moment's hesitation she moved so that she stood over him, looking down into his scarred but peaceful countenance. She looked down at him curiously, even as anger and embarrassment stained her cheeks a bright red. The anger was easy to explain. There were two different types of embarrassment waging war within her though. Externally, she was mortified that someone she had just met, and a man at that, had seen her naked. That went hand in hand with the anger. But then there was the internal humiliation of having treated a guest in her home like a dog. Quite literally. Why had she yelled that of all things, and why had it seemed so appropriate to the situation?

The wanderer stared up at her, watching through slitted lids, as the emotions played across her expressive face. She was absolutely breathtaking, and not only on the outside. He could sense the brightness of her spirit calling to the darkness in his own. He cut those thoughts off quickly. He couldn't allow himself to get too attached to anyone, and especially not someone like this woman. She did not need to be burdened with his past. He would have to leave, there was no doubt about it. An eerie howl seemed to resonate in his head, full of desperation and pain. This woman was effecting him too much and in too many ways. Since they had met this morning, he had been dogged by the strange feelings of familiarity for things that he had never known, a protectiveness that he hadn't felt in years for the young woman he had just met and he was hearing voices in his head. Ok, it was true that it was his own voice, but it was still disturbing. Especially that howl.

Kaoru watched him as he lay on the floor, and began to worry about him. She gently lay a hand on his cheek, and was shocked when he pulled away from her with a hiss. She stared at him in confusion. His eyes were open and staring at her, the amethyst depths seeming to bore directly into her soul. If it hadn't been for the eye color, she would have thought that her dream was replaying itself.

"A...are you hurt?"

"Huh?" The slightly dazed, innocent smile returned to his face and he smiled at her. "Oh no, I am just fine, that I am. My apologies for..." He began to blush as he waved a hand at the bath. "Dr. Genzai recommended I come here. He didn't know it was occupied, that he didn't."

"Oh." She frowned slightly. Did he remember what she had said? She really hoped not. "Well in that case, it is all yours." Kaoru left the bath and headed for her room, as fast as her feet would carry her. The wanderer watched her go, amusement in his eyes.

When he was in the warm water, he thought about her reaction to his presence, and his reaction to her reaction. SIT BOY! He chuckled softly, although when he had heard those words, the first thing that had run across his mind was not flattering. Damn that wench. Not like she has anything that I want to see anyway. But what was really surprising was that he had felt something in his mind being pressed flat. It had been too much, what with seeing a beautiful woman nude, strange memories, the heat of the bathing room, and the sensation of having his brain squashed. He had passed out.

Something strange was happening to him, and he just couldn't figure out what it could be. He had never had reactions like this before. He was always in control of himself. Now his mind was behaving like an immature, and apparently bad tempered, teenager. Where were these memories coming from?

****************************************************************** *****

Kaoru was standing in front of the plaque with her father's name on it. There was no way that she could let that murderer get away with smearing their name, and what her father had strived to build....the sword that revitalizes. A style meant to protect, not to kill, although it could do that as well if the wielder was pressed...and wasn't using a wooden sword.

"You are the assistant master of this school miss..."

"Kaoru. My name is Kaoru. Yes, I am." She took a deep breath and then let it out slowly. "I wanted to thank you for saving my life earlier. You are welcome to stay here as long as you like."

"But you don't even know who I am."

"I am sure you have good reasons to wander about the world. Your past..." She was about to say that it didn't concern her, but the words wouldn't come. For some reason, she felt that it did concern her. "Who you were before..." She couldn't finish that one either, for the same reason. "It's your business, and I won't meddle in it. Everyone is entitled to their own secrets." He was watching her closely, as if to determine if she meant what she said. It would be nice to be able to stay in one place for awhile. Thanks to his strange reactions to this woman, he couldn't stay long, but one night couldn't hurt. With a slight nod, he smiled at her brightly.

"In that case, let me make dinner." He started for the garden but stopped. When he spoke again, his voice had changed slightly, becoming deeper. "Do you recall if there was anyone from this school that was left handed? Couldn't use their right thumb?"

"You think it is actually a student of this school? How dare you even suggest that? My father taught to protect, not to kill! No one who was taught the Kasshin style would do something like this! I'll prove it when I catch him. I will too, even if it costs me my life!" She stormed off to her bedroom and slammed the shoji screen.

The wanderer watched her go. When she had mentioned her death, once again his heart had clenched tightly. He didn't know what was happening to him, but he did know that he would not let her die. He slowly followed after her, hoping that words would stop her from acting recklessly as she seemed prone to do, but somehow knowing that it would not.

"Miss Kaoru, I do not believe that your father would want you to do something that would put you in jeopardy. I believe that he would want you to live a happy, peaceful life." For that to happen, however, he would not be able to stay long. He was not worthy of that kind of life, and he would just corrupt hers. When he didn't receive a reply, he walked away, toward the garden once again.

Kaoru lay on her futon, staring at the ceiling. What did he know about her life? About her father? She rolled over with a groan, clenching her fists in frustration. True, that was probably exactly what her father would have said, now that she thought about it. But that didn't mean that she should just lie there and do nothing, did it? She closed her eyes and saw those amber orbs watching her again. Why did they make her feel slightly guilty? They seemed almost disappointed in her. Oh damn!

She walked silently down the hall to the room that she had given to the wanderer, pausing just outside. Well, here goes nothing.

"I am sorry. I shouldn't have yelled at you the way that I did. You are right about my father, it is what he would have wanted." She waited for a response, but one was not forthcoming. He couldn't be asleep already, could he? "Hey, I'm apologizing here! You could at least say something." Her temper was rising again, and she shoved open the screen to find the room empty and the bedding not touched. He had left without a word. Her head dropped down onto her chest. She felt strangely hollow. "I wish that I had at least learned his name." She whispered softly to the empty room, before returning to her own.

She must have dropped off into sleep again. This time the dream was a memory of her childhood. One student had felt that the Kasshin style was for weaklings, and had begun to use a real sword in practice one day. Kaoru had only been six at the time, and watching from the doorway. Her father had brushed past and cautioned her to stay out of the way. He had faced down the student, and incapacitated his right thumb so that he would never wield a sword again. When that student had looked up, he had caught the young girl's eyes and had grinned at her malevolently. He had been banned from the school that day.

She awoke with a start. Geez, that was starting to become a habit lately. With a shaking hand, she covered her face. Well, now she knew. This was all for revenge against her father. She got to her feet and went to find the old records. She finally found what she was looking for, the name of the student that had been expelled. Gohei Hitoma. It had happened eleven years ago.

Suddenly the front door of the dojo burst open, and there he stood, surrounded by a group of thugs. Her eyes narrowed even as she grabbed a wooden sword from the wall.

"So you remember, do you?" the former student rumbled. "I have waited eleven years to take my revenge, with this sword."

"A sword is meant to protect people!" She cried. "I won't make it easy for you!" She threw herself at him, the wooden sword in her hands ready for action. He caught the thrust in his right hand and brought his still sheathed sword down on her neck, causing her to become dizzy and drop her weapon. Gohei lifted her up by the shirt and shook her roughly.

"Well now, what should we do with her first?" He rumbled to crowd. They all replied with ugly laughter.

"You'll put her down gently, that you will." A soft voice said from the back of the room. Everyone turned and Kaoru gasped. It was the wanderer...and he was going to be killed.

"No, go away! You are no match for him!" His shaggy red bangs covered his eyes as he slowly walked toward them. He didn't reply and he didn't look up. When he had seen Kaoru in this predicament, he could feel his other side struggling to the surface. He couldn't stop a soft growl that rumbled in his chest.

"What, another that believes that the sword is to"

"No. A sword is a weapon, meant to kill. Miss Kaoru's ideal is one for those who have never had their hands stained by the blood of men." He looked up with a wide smile. "But I like Miss Kaoru's way much better, that I do." The large man was watching him closely.

"What are you waiting for, get him." The crowd rushed at the red haired wanderer. They soon found themselves on the floor unconscious. Gohei's eyes widened. This man was very fast.

"Cross-shaped scar...red hair...could it be?"

"Oh yes, the style of Battousai the Manslayer is neither Kamiya Kashin or whatever style it is that you use. He uses the Hiten Mitsurugi style, which will never fail to kill, unless you use a sword like mine that is." The wanderer had a slight smile on his face, but it didn't reach his eyes. They were cold and alert.

"YOU are the real Battousai?" Kaoru asked, her voice wobbling with shock. The large man began to laugh.

"It makes no matter. I will be the one to slay the Battousai, and then this girl and the school will fall as well." The wanderer's violet eyes narrowed and his voice seemed slightly weary.

"Then I have no choice." The large man dropped Kaoru to the floor and rushed at the Battousai of legend. He swung at the younger man, and was shocked to see that he was no longer in front of him. "Over here!" the wanderer cried out as he brought his own sword crashing down on his opponents fingers. The large man dropped to his knees while the other calmly re-sheathed his sword. "While I have no attachment to the name of Battousai the Manslayer, I cannot allow a man like you to wear it." One of Gohei's goons had regained consciousness. "You, go get the police and tell them all that this man has been doing." The wanderer looked over his shoulder to see Kaoru watching him with wide blue eyes. He smiled at her sadly. "I am sorry Miss Kaoru, I never meant to keep my identity a secret I just....well, I guess I didn't want you to know if you didn't have to. Thank you for your kindness." He turned and began walking towards the door.

"You big...JERK!" Kaoru screamed from behind him. She was trying to think of anything that would make him stay. He had saved her life, again and she didn't want him to go. "How could you just leave me with this mess? I can't fix this all by myself."

His eyes had widened at the comment, making him come to a full stop in the open doorway. He was a jerk for wanting to keep her safe? How did that happen? Slowly he turned around to face her once again. He had to make her understand. He was not worthy of anything that she was offering...a place to stay, friendship, or her trust.

"I just thought that since this incident it would be better to go. It wouldn't do to have the real Battousai staying here."

"Who said I wanted the Battousai to stay here? I told you before that you had a right to your secrets and I meant it. I want you...the wan..." Her hand came up to cover her mouth, and she turned her back to him. She still didn't know his name, after all that he had done for her, and now he was ready to walk out of her life. "Before you go, would you at least tell me your name? Not the name of the Battousai, your name, the name of the wanderer."

"Himura. Kenshin Himura." He couldn't help but smile. How long had it been since anyone had cared enough to find out. Why was she making this harder than it already was, and for that matter, why was it so difficult anyway. They had just met. He couldn't have formed this strong of an attachment this quickly, could he?

"Kenshin?" She said it softly, almost as if testing it out. It felt right, and yet it also seemed wrong somehow. "Well Kenshin, I suppose that you should be going then."

He stared at her back for seconds that seemed almost endless. It should be the easiest thing in the world to just open that door and hit the road once again. So why couldn't he do it? Just the thought of leaving her had all of his senses screaming that it was the wrong thing to do. Just when I finally found her again, you want to leave her, you idiot? Not a chance in Hell! Where did that thought come from? What did it mean? He hadn't been searching for anyone, and especially not a girl with a fiery temper, a knack for getting herself into dangerous situations and the kindest heart that he had ever seen. With an inaudible sigh, he slowly slid the door closed. He had always listened to his instincts, and they were telling him that he had finally come home. He saw her head bow in defeat.

Kaoru heard the door slide shut and just barely kept herself from weeping. He was gone and she felt like she had lost something precious, without even knowing what it had been. What was she going to do now?

"Well, to be honest, I am rather tired of wandering about." Her head came up and she spun about to find him leaning against the door, a soft look in his amethyst eyes. With a smile, she began walking toward him. He moved toward her as well. "I may accidentally see you in the bath."

"Oh that's no problem. I'll just let you have it..." She threw a punch, and it was hard to tell who was more surprised when it connected with his jaw. "I...I thought that you would block that. Are you sure you are the real Battousai?" He rubbed his jaw lightly, and couldn't stop the chuckle that burst from his lips.

"No, I am just Kenshin Himura, wandering swordsman, that I am. And might I say that you have a very hard right cross." She blushed and looked at the floor while leading him to the room that was to be his, which was directly across the hall from her own.

"Good night, Kenshin." She turned and entered her own room, without looking at him. If she had, she would have seen his eyes become vulnerable. He entered his room once again and lay down on the bedding, crossing his arms behind his head. What had he gotten himself into this time? His eyes slowly drifted closed.

He was staring up into the eyes of the woman that he loved, watching as the tears coursed down her cheeks unnoticed. She was weeping for him, again. How had someone so unworthy of this girl managed to win her love? His heart thumped loudly. It was so unfair, he had just found out that she loved him, and now he was dying. Well, he wouldn't go without telling her...

"I'm sorry..." he whispered as he took one of her small, trembling hands in his own clawed grasp. A fit of coughing brought blood to his lips and doubled the strength of the sobs of the young girl who so tenderly held his head in her lap. "Don't cry, you know I hate it when you cry. Well meet again, and next time..." She looked down into his eyes, and his heart expanded to see all the emotion in her dark eyes. Gods she was beautiful. "Next time we'll get it right...I promise." Her name was the last thing on his lips, and her face was the last thing he saw... "Kagome..."

"Kagome!" Kenshin sat up, his eyes wide and staring, even as his cry was still sounding in his ears. That had been the worst nightmare that he had ever had, and as the ex-Battousai, he had experienced quite a few. He knew that this wasn't a dream, it was too vivid. This had been a memory, one that he had never experienced. Who was this Kagome, and who was he?

"Kenshin?" Kaoru called from the doorway. He turned toward her. She gasped in surprise and took a step back into the hall when she found herself staring into the amber eyes of her dreams.

**********************************************************************

A/N 2: I do my shout outs at the end of the chapter, in one of these lovely little end bits. I try to keep them short, but sometimes that doesn't work!

WingSong: I am glad that you like that style, cuz I don't know if I could change it! I always try to write it in the way that you think...Hey, that could happen. Not that it will, but just the same, it could. I hope you continue to enjoy it and let me know...I love repeat reviewers!! Ok, ok, so I am shameless, sorry! = P

Kei: Only one way to see how the story develops....keep reading! I don't like to give away hints, but this chapter should give some clues...then again, maybe it doesn't!

Laraina: So glad to see that you checked this one out too! You are one of those that I can count on for every story....Have I told you that you are my hero? ^_~

thracia: I am glad that you liked it and thank you for your encouragement. Hope this one lives up to the last!

Kindred: What an appropriate name, we must be kindred spirits. You know that great minds think alike (we'll ignore the second part of that cliche) and you got most of it in one! If you can figure out the rest, you get a gold star....and one of my coveted peanut butter cups!

lunachan579: Here you go, wish granted! As for the clever part *blushes*...thank you. I don't know if anyone has ever told me that before...Hmmm....

MUSECHAN: Wow, another one telling me that I am clever...getting a big head here guys....but thank you. I am glad that you could see it, that's part of my job. As for the Deja Vu....I'm glad that it came across the way that I wanted it to.

serena: Battousai fun fic...Hmmm...not really sure yet. But yeah, his eyes are very....very nice. Of course I like the violet ones just as well! Where are the real eyes like that?