Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ A Burning Wish: Finding Himura-san ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Two
The darkness associated with sleep slowly began to lift, pulling with it a protesting youth. Kenshin cracked his eyes open a little bit and instantly regretted his decision. His head was one pounding, steady throb. The light that entered his vision only seemed to compound the awful feeling and he instantly shut his eyes again.
Allowing himself a small moan, Kenshin raised a hand to his forehead and tried to block out the light which seemed to have embedded itself onto the backs of his eyelids. Ah! It feels like Shishou beat me severely in one of our training matches and more than once to. The thought instantly conjured up images of the smirking swordsman. He would probably laugh himself to death if he could see this. Moaning a second time although this time for humiliation rather than pain, Kenshin weakly pushed himself into a sitting position.
Looking around the room, he noted that everything seemed to be in order. It simply appeared that he'd come back, opened and closed the door after himself and then fallen asleep in the middle of the floor. Though used to sleeping outside for the past two weeks, Kenshin's back still twinged slightly as he moved the stiff muscles. He turned his head a little as several smells suddenly assaulted his nose. Usually he found the smell of breakfast particularly enticing and it always managed to pull a rumble from his stomach but not today. Today his stomach protested at the smells and rolled slightly. Shutting his eyes swiftly, Kenshin fought back the urge to be sick - it was the last thing he needed, not after last night. What had he been doing again?
Frowning, Kenshin sorted through his drunken memories. He definitely remembered not being in a good mood, that much he was certain of. After that it got a little hazy. Tomomi, the inn maid, floated before his vision and the face of some foreigner. Oniwaban? No - someone the Oniwaban would like because he noticed and accessed his surroundings constantly and possessed an open, honest face. There had been a fight although he couldn't remember what it was about but he was pretty sure he'd hit the guy and left not long after that. It wasn't something he'd normally do and for a moment the hitokiri reinserted itself and tried to insist that he should have killed his attacker last night. He immediately flinched back from the thought, shuddering in disgust.
Footsteps broke into his thoughts but Kenshin's groggy mind didn't seem to notice. By the time the message finally got through and alarm began spreading through Kenshin, his door had been slammed open.
Kenshin stared in shock at his guest, not at all sure how to react. No one ever barged into the room of Hitokiri BattÅsai unless they had a very good reason. Fortunately for Tomomi, he was just Himura Kenshin now but that didn't stop the flicker of irritation running through him. Kenshin glared before he was ever aware of what he was doing.
Tomomi glared back fiercely over the top of the basket of laundry she carried in front of her.
`Good, you're up,' she snapped. Plonking the laundry on the floor, she levelled another glare at him and Kenshin found his irritation subsiding into puzzlement. He wasn't sure what was wrong but judging by Tomomi's expression, he fathomed that it could not be good at all.
Noting the harsh, angry lines of her face and the glare she was giving him, Kenshin guessed he was most definitely the cause of it but whatever that was, he didn't really have any idea.
`Tomomi-san?' he queried hesitantly.
`Don't try and look so innocent Himura-san,' she snipped. Kenshin's eyes widened at the comment. What exactly did I do last night? his mind questioned himself. Had it been worse than he thought last night? Had he done something far worse then he imagined? Surely he hadn't killed anybody? The thought made his mind reel and for a terrible moment he felt incredibly faint. He really didn't feel too good and from experience he was fully aware that he was definitely no morning person so his current train of thought was even more disturbing than usual.
`Your behaviour last night was unacceptable. Not only did you make half of Chiba-sama's guests uncomfortable but you hit another patron and might I add, I don't appreciate being glared at no matter what the circumstances,' said Tomomi. She fixed the red haired swordsman with a piercing stare but Kenshin made no move to defend himself.
In fact, Kenshin barely noticed as he paled at her words. What in Kami-sama was I doing? he thought, a tinge of panic creeping into his usually calm and logical thoughts. He wasn't used to feeling so emotionally unstable. Since Tomoe's death he had locked all thought and feeling away, planning on finishing what he started and moving on as soon as possible. Now however, he had no focus, no true purpose to his existence and without any purpose, his emotions seemed to be reinserting themselves at an alarming rate. There was no longer any need for the BattÅsai and consequently, there was no longer any need to stop feeling at all.
Lowering his eyes beneath the fall of his hair, Kenshin bowed his head gravely in submission and replied, `I apologise for my behaviour last night. I did not mean to cause any trouble and I will be on my way now if that's alright with you Tomomi-san.'
Peeking through his hair, Kenshin noticed the brief startled look that flashed across Tomomi's face at the abrupt change in his behaviour before it was quickly concealed. Kenshin was marginally impressed that even her ki focused itself and hid away her confusion. Tomomi seemed to have some natural talent if she could control her ki so well although Kenshin doubted she was aware of it. In his lifetime Kenshin had only met a few people outside of those aware of ki and how to control it who seemed to be able to hide it as well as the emotions on their face. Unfortunately, Iizuka had turned out to be one of those few people. Kenshin eyes momentarily flashed golden before returning to their usual unreadable lavender. If Tomomi noticed, she said nothing and Kenshin did not sense her ki react.
Her mouth pressed into a firm line instead as she regarded Kenshin from where he sat on the floor.
`Baka!' she scowled.
The remark caught Kenshin off guard and a surprised `oro?' tumbled from his lips before he could stop it. He didn't even realise that he had raised his head to stare at Tomomi, just as he had the previous evening when he'd first met her.
Tomomi softened slightly at the innocent gaze. Kenshin was a little puzzled by the change he felt in her but decided to let it go. Why did such an innocent remark calm her? he idly wondered.
`I don't want you to leave Himura-san,' she continued in a gentler tone of voice. `Times are hard, even for us despite our seeming prosperity and we can't afford to lose customers.' She gave him a soft smile even though Kenshin didn't smile in return.
`All I want from you is to do a little laundry for me. Chiba-sama has been running me into the ground and I could use the help by way of an apology. Actions, after all, speak louder than words right?' asked Tomomi beaming brightly.
When she received no answer, Tomomi looked at Kenshin closely; trying to understand why he didn't seemed to be responding.
Kenshin however, had no idea how to respond. She wanted him of all people, to do the laundry? If he were Shishou then he'd be scoffing right about now at such a ridiculous notion. Kenshin had always done most of the chores once he was taken in by his Shishou and the master swordsman had yet to even look like entertaining the idea of doing the laundry. As for the BattÅsai doing it, well, that was completely ludicrous.
`You want me to do the laundry?' Kenshin finally managed to choke out, his disbelief evident by his wide violet eyes and gaping mouth.
`It's not hard,' chirped Tomomi, amusement glittering in her eyes at his shocked expression. `I'm sure I can spare a little time to show you how to do the first bit to get you started.'
`No, I know how to do the laundry Tomomi-san,' interrupted Kenshin hastily. `I just wasn't expecting to be asked to do it is all.'
Now Tomomi stared at him and Kenshin was surprised to see that it looked as if the wind had been taken right out of her sails. Realisation dawned on Kenshin and he forcefully resisted the urge to scowl. She had been trying to embarrass him the whole time he realised. Well two could play at that game; he wasn't about to let her fluster him so easily.
Putting his best foot forward, Kenshin gave her his most dazzling smile and said, `I can do it right now if you'd like, just point me in the right direction.'
`Um, this way,' spluttered Tomomi as she tried to gather herself.
Standing, Kenshin picked up the laundry and followed Tomomi out of his room, mentally noting that the sakabato was threaded through his obi. While he may consider the sword a piece or scrap, it was still better then having no sword at all.
0-0-0-0-0-0
Baka! Baka! Baka!
Inwardly Tomomi bereted herself for her slip up. She'd never thought a swordsman like Himura-san would know how to do the laundry. It was a ridiculous notion. No swordsman she'd ever met had known how to do the laundry before now. That man was just turning out to have a surprisingly contradictory nature.
Sighing quietly as she tried to gather her composure from having her little scheme upset, Tomomi tried to think of another way she could get the swordsman back. Though she denied it strongly herself, she'd been embarrassed by how much Himura had ruffled her feathers last night. It took a lot to surprise her these days and she didn't like how easily he'd done it. She blatantly ignored the fact that when she'd seen the look in Himura's eyes last night, something about it had screamed danger and had badly frightened her. In the light of day, this thought seemed ridiculous and all Tomomi remembered was the innocent lavender eyes that had looked at her several minutes ago.
Mentally sighing, she brushed thoughts of the red headed swordsman to one side for the time being. For now she had another baka to recruit and punish.
0-0-0-0-0-0
Kenshin exhaled noisily as he set down the laundry and went to find a tub. It was another beautiful day he noted absently. The sun was shining as brightly as ever though the gentle breeze carried soft scents of moisture on it, indicating there'd probably be a shower later in the day.
Cursing Tomomi under his breath for her punishment, he eventually managed to find a tub and returned to where he'd left the laundry basket. In next to no time Kenshin was scrubbing the laundry, once again. It didn't seem to matter how far he got away from his Shishou because Hiko's lessons still kept coming back to haunt him. He'd always hated the laundry, it was his least favourite task but unfortunately Hiko was a lot bigger then him and the master when all said and done so Kenshin had learned very early on to do the laundry and not utter a single complaint unless he wanted a wrap across his skull.
Never the less, that didn't stop him complaining under his breath and wishing he could just go back to bed. His head really hurt and he wasn't in any mood to have to deal with anyone else at the moment. Unfortunately though, it just wasn't his day.
Up until that point in time, Kenshin had been relatively alone in the yard which he greatly appreciated but now he sensed a familiar pair of ki approaching and loud voices accompanying it. Pausing, he glanced up to watch as the door was thrust open and Tomomi pushed a second person out onto the porch. In his hands he also carried a basket of laundry and protested vehemently as Tomomi gave him a second shove in Kenshin's direction.
Kenshin scowled as he recognised the man as Bill Hollywell, the Irishman from the previous evening. There was a dark, painful looking bruise on his cheek but it did not draw any sympathy from Kenshin even though he had been the cause of it. Hunching his shoulders, he turned away and proceeded to ignore the Irishman. If he had known Tomomi would send Bill out here with him then he would have refused but it was too late to go back on his word now.
Bill it seemed, was not too pleased with the idea either. As soon as his eyes came to rest on the hunched red head with his arms buried up to his elbows in soap suds, his ki spiked dramatically. Kenshin gritted his teeth in irritation at the hostility he suddenly felt rolling in waves off the foreigner directed at him.
`You've got to be kidding me Tomomi, there's no way I'm going anywhere near him,' growled the Irishmen. Kenshin could hear the contempt in the other's voice and apparently Tomomi could to.
`It's Miss Tomomi if you don't mind,' retorted the red head sharply, placing her hands firmly on her hips. `If you know what's good for you you'll do as I asked or would you prefer to tell Tom and the others that you'll be spending the night elsewhere this evening?'
Silence greeted Tomomi and to Kenshin it was clear that he was struggling to control his temper. `Tomomi I -.'
`Do as she asks,' snapped Kenshin finally loosing his patience.
Startled, the two foreigners stopped their argument to stare at his back. Turning to face them, Kenshin fixed the pair with a cold glare.
`It's just a little chore and not to much to ask considering how we behaved last night,' he said.
`You started it!' hissed Bill venomously. Kenshin didn't flinch under the furious gaze; he had received far worse in the last few years and compared to other men he had faced in battle, this man - no, youth - was an amateur.
`Do as you like,' answered Kenshin softly and then turned away. If Bill wanted to be stubborn and get hung up over some stupid words said on both their parts then that was his problem. Kenshin couldn't care less and as far as he was concerned, it was all in the past.
Silence greeted Kenshin and he was a little surprised when without a word, Bill set down the laundry, retrieved a wash tub and placed it beside him then began to wash the clothing in the basket. A few seconds later Kenshin felt Tomomi's ki hesitantly depart and then it was only the two of them alone in the yard. Kenshin wasn't exactly sure what had made Bill give in; all he could sense in the other was confusion.
They worked quietly for the most part. Kenshin idly noticed that Bill didn't seem to have done the laundry before and was casually watching him out the corner of his eye to see what he would do and then copying his actions. He wasn't too bad at it either noted Kenshin and if things had been different then Bill definitely would have made a fine recruit for the Oniwaban. Times however, were thankfully changing.
Gradually Kenshin began to notice that a questioning gleam seemed to have gathered in Bill's eyes when he glanced at him out the corner of his eye. Sighing, Kenshin set down the last piece of laundry.
`What?' he queried irritably.
Bill's eyes widened a little in surprise and then he smiled. `Nothing, you just intrigue me is all,' he answered.
Kenshin spared Bill a sharp glance but said nothing as he picked up the laundry and moved to hang it out. He wasn't responsible for what the foreigner thought of him and if he wouldn't ask his question when Kenshin offered then Kenshin wasn't going to bother persisting.
Still…curiosity burned at the back of his mind about what Bill had said. To be found intriguing was a strange notion. Kenshin knew he looked a little odd with such bright hair and unusual eyes but that generally wasn't enough to get a foreigner to look twice. Never the less, he was not going to ask.
Kenshin hung the laundry out with deft hands, years of practice coming with ease. The basket empty, he picked it up and turned around. Bill still wasn't finished but he wasn't working either. His gaze was fixed something else and Kenshin was startled to see that he and Bill were no longer alone.
The door to the inn was open and a samurai was standing in the shadows of the hallway watching them. Kenshin felt slightly uneasy with the knowledge that he hadn't sensed the man's approach and that definitely wasn't a friendly look being sent in his direction. The dark, suspicious eyes carried a warning and Kenshin froze as he realised the implications of the gaze.
This man knew.
There was no mistaking that this middle aged samurai with black hair pulled back in a topknot and a daisho at his waist knew who he was. He knew he was the former Hitokiri BattÅsai and he was warning him that he knew. And yet, he made no move to do anything about it. He simply stood in the hallway, letting him know that he was aware and that he was watching.
He was not however, acting and this puzzled Kenshin. In the past, those who had discovered his identity had never failed to either attack or get as far away from him as possible. This samurai though, was doing neither of those two things and so far, he seemed content to warn him and leave it at that.
Without a word, the samurai broke the gaze and turned; disappearing back into the inn as silently as he had appeared.
Kenshin stared after him for a moment but was interrupted from his stupor by Bill.
`Hmm, still as friendly as ever,' he remarked.
Kenshin turned to look at Bill. The youth's gaze wasn't on him but where the samurai had been standing. His expression surprised Kenshin a little. The friendly mask was no longer in place and Kenshin was easily able to see the grim, thoughtful look on Bill's face.
`Do you know this man?' asked Kenshin neutrally.
`Not really,' answered Bill absently. `He was in the room last night when we were fighting. When you left I was going to go after you but he didn't much like the idea. He said something that really interested me.' Bill turned to finally look at Kenshin seriously.
Kenshin felt the beginnings of suspicion begin to trickle into his mind. He didn't like to think what that samurai may have told Bill about him and he certainly didn't want to have to leave at the moment. Two weeks on the road was enough to tire him out for the moment and coupled with his sake induced hangover thanks to his own foolishness the previous evening, he didn't particularly want to be on the road again until at least tomorrow.
However, if Bill knew then he would have no choice. He could not risk detection considering he was basically absent without leave. Of course, Katsura had let him go reluctantly but only when Kenshin had insisted that he tell no one and let it be presumed he had died in battle. His forsaken katana should be proof enough of that but if his existence were discovered then there would be nothing to stop him from being accused of deserting. Technically he had, he supposed but Kenshin felt that the battle of Toba Fushimi had finally sealed the win for the Choshu and Satsuma forces. Any fighting from that point on in time would be selfish fighting and they did not need him for that. He had had more than enough of any war to last him the rest of his life.
Allowing no emotion to show on his face, Kenshin waited patiently for Bill to continue, hoping that he did not know the truth. The samurai would not do anything about it but Kenshin could not say the same about Bill, considering what had occurred in their first meeting after all.
`He said that you will never be forgiven and that I could not even begin to understand you,' said Bill.
Bill watched Kenshin closely but Kenshin refused to respond. If Bill had been able to sense ki he would have felt Kenshin's spike with shock and pain but he could not thus Kenshin's momentary lapse went unnoticed.
`I have no idea who you are Mr Himura or what you did and I'll never understand you Japanese and your strange customs. I do however; understand that you are a swordsman and a very good one at that if that samurai chose to warn me about you.'
Kenshin still refused to respond, neither acknowledging nor denying what Bill had said. It was true after all his heart reminded him. Nobody can forgive me for what I took away from so many people and nobody can begin to understand me. I have always been alone in that respect. There will always be a part of me that no one will understand. I can't even understand that part myself.
`That is why you intrigue me Mr Himura,' continued Bill. `Since coming to this country the Japanese have been nothing but reserved towards me. To speak to a foreigner makes me wonder just how dangerous you are.'
Though Kenshin was standing still, he tensed at the comment. He doesn't know but he definitely suspects something. He would be blind if he doesn't eventually realise I am a deserter. While he probably won't know the significance of the name Hitokiri BattÅsai if he finds out, he will know the significance of a deserter. What he chooses to do with that knowledge though, I can't be sure.
Kenshin finally moved, bowing his head and putting away the cleaning utensils silently, all the while ignoring Bill's gaze which felt like they would begin to burn a hole in his back at any moment.
I can't blame him if he wants answers but I can't give them to him either. Such knowledge is dangerous and even though I do not exactly trust him, I can not tell him least I put him in danger.
`I'm waiting,' gripped Bill. A hint of a threat had crept into his voice but Kenshin ignored it. He knew who would win should Bill chose to fight him. Physically he far surpassed the Irishman and vocally, he was simply to stubborn.
`I'm glad you find me so interesting,' answered Kenshin softly as he moved to leave. `But I'm afraid I can't enlighten you.'
Without another word, Kenshin slipped inside leaving Bill alone in the courtyard glaring angrily at his retreating back.
0-0-0-0-0-0
Kenshin padded silently through the hallways of the inn, his expression dull with a hint of sadness. Right now, he had never felt more alone.
Then again I have always been alone. Even as a child my hair tended to make me an outcast from the other children and then I spent all that time training with Hiko. You couldn't say I was alone then I guess but it was not like Hiko and I got on terribly well. As a hitokiri however, I made myself lonely because of what I was. Had it not been for that brief touch in time with Tomoe, I might never have known companionship. But that's all gone now and I am indeed, alone again.
The silence in the halls compounded upon the loneliness Kenshin felt and he hugged himself slightly, as if for comfort. The gesture did nothing to lessen the melancholy feelings in his soul however, so he dropped his hands quietly back to his sides and resumed his meaningless wandering.
He paused as he came across a mirror suddenly; an expensive western item of which he'd only seen a handful of times.
His reflection surprised him slightly, as it tended to do every time he observed himself in these strange western things. After his bath the previous evening he'd put on his old green kimono; something he hadn't worn since the early days when he'd joined Choshu. To see himself without the customary blue uniform made him feel oddly different, as if a burden had been lifted from his shoulders.
His head however, was another story and chose that moment to remind him that he had a hangover. Wincing irritably, Kenshin reached up and pulled his hair out of the customary topknot, letting it fall lose around his shoulders. He was a little startled to realise how long the crimson strands were but brushed them back and ran his hands through his hair, enjoying the lessening of tension on his scalp. Wryly he noted that now that his hair was lose, he looked about as dangerous as a kitten and had it not been for the sakabato threaded through his obi, no one would have guessed just how dangerous he was.
Strangely, he liked what he saw. For the first time Kenshin liked the fact that he didn't look threatening. His violet eyes were gentle, a hint of sadness in their depths and even though nobody else knew he carried a sakabato, Kenshin did and it was a comforting thought realising that with the sword, he would keep his promise and never slay again while at the same time protecting people in a way that was right and just for him to make up for all the lives he had taken needlessly.
Still, it wouldn't exactly be good for his image wandering around with his hair loose like a woman. Thinking for a moment, Kenshin resecured his hair, this time at the nape of his neck. He liked the change he saw and realised that it made him look older. His topknot had done that too but at least this way, he didn't look overly threatening.
A small smile creeping onto his face, Kenshin became mesmerized by the image he presented. No longer did the amber eyed, hard lipped hitokiri stare back at him. Now all he saw was a pleasant looking ronin with a laughing smile and haunted but innocent violet eyes. The transformation was astounding and Kenshin instantly resolved to dispose of his blood crusted, blue Choshu kimono which he'd left on his floor last night. He no longer needed it and it only brought back painful memories. Briefly he thought about throwing the armguards out as well but decided against it. They were a useful item to have and he would be better off stowing them in his pack if he wasn't going to wear them.
Lost in thought, Kenshin resumed his silent wandering.
As he neared the kitchens it struck him that he was wandering around for no reason other than to think.But then again he realised, I'm not aimlessly wandering, I'm memorising the layout of the building in case I need to make a hasty exit. While half of him had been absorbed, the other half had been coldly calculating and noting where things were, what would make a good temporary weapon or distraction and routes that would be good to make an escape. Dismayed at his thoughts, Kenshin hastily back pedalled to his room, appalled to realise he could remember the way clearly even though he shouldn't have if he weren't doing what he'd just been doing.
Once inside the confines of his room, he shut the door and sat down shakily. Threading his hands through his hair, he struggled to calm his breathing and get over the shock he'd just given himself. He'd caught a glimpse of himself in the western mirror again as he'd passed and had been shaken to see that his eyes were narrowed and a pale lavender; one step away from melting into the familiar amber.
It had been uncomfortably close to what he'd been trying to escape from for the past two weeks. Lost in his haunted memories when he'd first left the battlefield, his mind had been too distracted to think any such thoughts in the past two weeks and during that time some part of him had hoped he'd be caught in the crossfire of some of the small skirmishes going on and killed. Nobody would miss him and he had shied away the thought of living with his crimes hanging over his head for the rest of his life.
Finally calming down enough, Kenshin discovered that his body felt tired and his mind ached. Neither surprised him after not having any proper rest for the past several months and the emotional upheaval he was putting himself through. Deciding that the thought of a quick nap was most welcoming, Kenshin unrolled the futon this time and unthreaded his sword from his obi. Clutching it close to his body like a child's toy, Kenshin lay down and finally allowed himself to rest, lulled by the soft murmur of nature beyond his window and the staff of the inn going about their business in the distance.
0-0-0-0-0-0
The soft but constant sound of coughing woke him late in the day as Kenshin sat up groggily. It appeared someone had come to stay in the room next to his while he'd been sleeping and from the sounds of it, they had a pretty nasty cold. Kenshin wasn't particularly bothered by his awakening though, pleased to note that his headache seemed to have cleared up and his body felt much better after a good sleep.
Getting up, he secured his sword again and made his way back towards the kitchen. Judging by the angle of the sun through the window, it was too early for dinner but the staff would be beginning to prepare it now. Remembering his behaviour the previous evening, Kenshin decided it would be better to beg a meal and return to his room to eat in private. It would probably be a good idea if he kept a low profile for the next few days too. Strangely, Kenshin found himself deciding to steer clear of sake for the rest of his time at the inn as well. His performance last night had not been pretty and he realised that he didn't really want to repeat it.
As the rich smells drifted towards Kenshin from the kitchen, his stomach growled appreciatively after a day without anything. Pleased that he really did seem to be over his hangover, Kenshin quickened his pace until he finally reached his destination where the intoxicating smells were drifting from.
As he raised his hand and knocked politely, Kenshin experienced a strange sensation of déjà vu as like the previous day, the door was yanked open to reveal an irritated Tomomi. Kenshin stared dumbly for a moment taking in the frazzled hair and the flour covered kimono.
`Oh it's you,' said Tomomi as she recognized him. She looked like she'd been about to snap at him thought Kenshin but upon recognizing him, she'd abruptly changed her mind.
`Is this a bad time?' he queried cautiously. Whatever was happening in the kitchen seemed to be far from routine and Kenshin was beginning to regret his decision to come. Tomomi though, hastily swept the irritation from her face and smiled politely.
`Not at all Himura-san. What can I do for you?' she asked.
Kenshin hesitated but when she only continued to smile he gave in and voiced his request.
`But of course Himura-san,' agreed Tomomi. `I'm afraid we don't have much prepared yet but we do have some fried rice. Would that be alright?'
`That would be fine,' answered Kenshin stiffly.
Nodding, Tomomi bid him to wait a moment and disappeared back into the kitchen. His view now clear, Kenshin stared in astonishment at the scene before him. The kitchen was a mess and the staff looked to be in uproar. Pots and pans were scattered left and right, one or two fires almost looked to be burning out of control and there was food everywhere. In the middle of it all stood none other than Bill Hollywell.
The youth's face was bright red beneath the flour and it looked like he had been the cause of the mess. His shoulders were hunched meekly as he endured the verbal roaring from a tall old man, most likely the infamous Chiba-sama guessed Kenshin. The man's faded green eyes seemed to bulge out of their sockets as he continued yelling at Bill, spittle occasionally flying from his mouth.
Tomomi choose that moment to return, handing him the rice as she did so.
`Here you are Himura-san,' she said.
`Arigato,' replied Kenshin politely and then looked pointedly over Tomomi's shoulder at the disturbance.
Catching his gaze, Tomomi sighed. `To cut a long story short,' she began grimly, `we're short handed and Bill offered to help. As you can see, he did more harm than good.'
`Arr,' answered Kenshin in understanding. Giving Tomomi an amused smile, Kenshin turned and left.
He almost made it to his room before he realised he had been followed. Turning, he confronted the old man who had been yelling at Bill.
He appeared much calmer now as he looked Kenshin up and down. `You must be Himura-san,' he said bluntly.
`That would be me,' replied Kenshin carefully. `How can I help you Chiba-sama?'
If the old man was surprised that he had deduced his identity then he gave no sign of it. Kenshin didn't expect him to anyway. He had already tested Chiba's ki and from that he had worked out that Chiba was most likely a former swordsman himself; now too old to be anything but an innkeeper. Even though he was older now, he'd had some ki training and his ki was still carefully concealed. Kenshin had also felt him discreetly feeling out his own ki but he knew the old man would find nothing interesting. He had learned to well how to project a certain harmless air about himself.
The old man eyed him up and down for a moment, suspicious about his seemingly peaceful ki despite the sword at his waist. After a moment through, he let it go.
`I've had some complaints about you,' he began, getting straight to the point. `Apparently you hit another patron last night and threatened one of my staff.'
Kenshin mentally sighed, knowing he spoke the truth. `I did,' replied Kenshin choosing his words carefully. `However I was under the influence at the time and while that does not excuse my actions, I can assure you that I'm not usually so hostile.'
Deciding to play it humble, Kenshin bowed his head and added in a soft voice, `I will leave if you so desire it Chiba-sama.'
The old man snorted, apparently not the least bit fooled by Kenshin's act. In truth Kenshin did regret glaring at Tomomi like that. He was sure he looked at her with the eyes of a hitokiri last night which brought a slight shudder to his thoughts but he had not been sorry that he'd hit Bill. The other youth had needed bringing down a peg despite his honourable intentions and Kenshin had been only to happy to do it. No one threatened him after he'd made an apology, especially when he'd meant it. During his time with Hiko his pride had stopped him from ever admitting his wrongs and last night had been the first step he'd taken towards correcting those wrongs. By being brave enough to admit his faults, Kenshin realised that he had begun the process to atonement and for the time being, he was going to fight for it. The thought sent resolve racing through him but he put it aside for the moment and concentrated on the situation at hand.
`You know, you're lucky,' continued Chiba, `that Miss Tomomi likes you so much.'
`What?!' asked Kenshin startled, jerking his head up to look at Chiba.
`Oh yes,' continued Chiba mildly. `She came and asked me to forgive you for what happened last night and said she would vouch for you and that you'd behave yourself from now on.'
Kenshin stared in shock as Chiba continued to eye him calmly.
`Make sure it doesn't happen again,' he said and without another word, he turned and padded away.
Kenshin continued to watch his retreating back until it finally disappeared around a corner, stunned at what had just happened.
Shaking himself, Kenshin straightened and entered his room, absently noting the container in his hands was getting quite cool.
Chiba's words carried on echoing around his head as he seated himself. If what he had said was true then Kenshin owed Tomomi a lot more than the laundry he'd done that morning. He couldn't believe that anyone would do something so noble for him, particularly a virtual stranger at that. It had been a long time since such kindness had been extended towards him and it made Kenshin feel strangely emotional.
Snorting, Kenshin fought of the ridiculous urge to cry and attacked his rice ravenously, listening to his neighbour cough occasionally as the sun set outside.
Tomorrow was a new day and Kenshin was determined to pay Tomomi back. No, I will pay her back he thought firmly and nothing would stop him from doing just that.