Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ A Certain Clarity ❯ 17 ( Chapter 17 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Title: A Certain Clarity (17/30)

Author: Franzi Dickson

E-mail: fdickson@ix.netcom.com

Archive: The SxSAS Archive, fanfiction.net and others (eventually). If you want it on your site, just ask.

Rating: NC-17 for wet dreams, sex, drugs, violence and other badness.

Warnings: m/m sex, lemon, assorted bad things in this part and future ones

Disclaimer: They don't belong to me. I'm just doing bad things with them. Don't sue me.

He pried himself out of bed as the last of the other men left the room. There ought to be a law against mornings, he thought as he dressed. He took his time with the wrappings, glad that the cult didn't impose any sort of dress code. Cheap bastards probably don't want to provide a new wardrobe for the dupes. He could have used something new, he admitted to himself; his usual white pants didn't go very well with Katsu's jacket. He missed his. "I don't care if it would stand out!"

"Brother?"

"Huh? Oh, sorry, I'm a little late today." Damn they were punctual. She'd almost caught him changing.

"I am Sister Seiko. I am in charge of work assignments. I will show you where you are to go."

"Hiromi... I mean Sister Hiromi showed me the building yesterday. I don't know much about hand crafts though..." Now *that* was the understatement of the century! Sagara Sanosuke had never held down a normal job in his life, and to be reduced to menial labor? Well, if that's what it took to get to the bottom of this mess and catch the bastards, then that's what he'd do! That thought had a delightfully noble ring to it. He smiled.

"Many of us know nothing of such work when we come here, but anyone can learn given an open heart and ready hands. However, that is of little importance at the moment, since you won't be working there."

"No?" He'd assumed that everyone worked there. Hiromi had certainly seemed to dislike the place enough.

"You will be assigned to the bath house. Please follow me."

He followed her out of the dormitory and towards the wooded area.

As they approached the path, she began again. "It isn't a terribly time consuming job, but we normally like to have someone to tend it full time just in case. Since the last one left a couple of weeks ago, we've had to take it in shifts, and that's really a bother."

"He left...?"

"Every so often, we send some of our Brothers and Sisters back to the city to spread *his* message."

Yeah, right. The kooks in front of the restaurant hadn't said anything about channeling dead people.

She misunderstood his silence. "Don't worry; only those who have been more fully healed return there. You will not be forced to leave before you are ready."

Oh, great. "So he'll... heal me?"

Her bored, plain visage became radiant for a moment. "Tonight."

"Pardon?"

"Each new Brother or Sister has their own special time with him."

He looked at her in surprise, she wasn't that old, but he'd still never seen a woman her age blush like *that*.

"We go to his own, personal house and he gives us a special session."

They were nearing the bathhouse.

"The big meetings tire him so. When he's alone, he can sustain the link for a longer time." Her voice was becoming breathy. "He can... Well, you'll see. I couldn't do it justice in words."

Sano could, though not in front of a lady.

"And this is the room where *he* usually bathes, though on especially warm or cold days, anyone is allowed to use it - the Brothers and Sisters take turns then. Make especially sure that no one uses the inappropriate side of the baths. With *his* guidance, it isn't usually a problem, but there are sometimes a few..." She looked annoyed.

So the cultists weren't entirely brainwashed. He suppressed a grin.

"In any case, your most important duty is the firewood. We've run low. Once you've replenished the supply in the shed there, there won't be much else to do. We use the bath in groups in the evening, so the fires will be built then. The only exception is if *he* wants to use it. We've placed a number of logs in the back there, and you will find an ax in the shed. Lunch is in the same building as dinner. I wish you a productive day." She bowed and left him.

Sano cautiously looked around. They could call themselves Brothers and Sisters all they wanted, but that leader guy had a really good deal here. And probably 'Sister Seiko' and whoever that other weirdo was too, he thought cynically. In addition to the tub, the room had a raised area with benches and cabinets. He opened a few. Hmm... robes and cleaning supplies. Nothing interesting. Well, he could have a better look later. First he'd better make it look like he was actually working.

"What are you doing hiding out here, Brother Sano?" Hiromi sat down next to him.

He shrugged. "I didn't know we had to eat in the dining hall."

"We don't, but everybody does."

"You're not."

She considered that. "But I couldn't because I was looking for you."

"Oh."

"How was your morning? Did they make you do boring work?"

"No, I'm assigned to the bathhouse."

She looked at him sharply. "All the time."

"Yeah... Is that bad?"

"No..."

"But you were surprised by it?"

"It's not bad, but it *is* weird." She looked him over critically. "You just look an awful lot like the last guy who worked there."

"Huh." He poked at his gruel thoughtfully.

"Yeah... So you're going to see *him* tonight?"

He nodded. "What's up with that anyway? Sister Seiko certainly seemed excited enough about it."

Hiromi laughed. "He'll work his magic on you and you'll follow him around like a little bird after its mother."

"Will not." He wasn't being taken in by some stupid cult leader.

"Will too. It happens to all of them."

"Brother Sanosuke? Ah, there you are." Sister Seiko was out of breath and looking rather annoyed. "*He* will require the bathhouse this afternoon, please prepare it for him. That is all." She hurried off.

"I guess I'd better go start the fire." He gave his lunch a last desultory prod and decided it wasn't worth finishing. "Do you want this?"

Hiromi made a face.

"Yeah, it's almost as bad as Kaoru's cooking."

"Who's Kaoru."

"Never mind. I'll see you later." He should hurry; he didn't know when the leader weirdo wanted the bath.

Finally, he had the fire started properly. He slipped inside the bathhouse. It was certainly warmer here. When had the day gotten so damn cold? He moved grouchily over to the cabinets of cleaning supplies. It was probably futile, he knew, but there was nothing better to do just now. Maybe he could con Hiromi into showing him her brother's office... He was just examining a cupboard full of ratty old robes when he heard voices. Damn. That must be the leader guy now. Oh well, he didn't think there was anything interesting here, anyhow. He'd best be leaving. The voices became clearer; he paused with his hand on the door.

"God damn it! This is bad for business!"

"I only follow my gift."

"You're a fucking charlatan and you know it!"

What the hell? Sano backed away from the door. He really wasn't supposed to be overhearing this. Who was that anyway? The sidekick from the ceremony?

"I only wish to do what is right."

"Who the hell are you to judge what is right?!"

"What you made me."

"I didn't fucking make you this!"

Oh shit. He looked around. The moldy robes beckoned from their half open cupboard. Excellent. He slipped inside.

"No?" He said something in a quiet tone that Sano couldn't catch. The other man swore.

"You'd better behave yourself! I won't put up with much more of this."

He heard the other storm off. He watched through a crack in the door as the leader stepped inside and shut the door. It suddenly occurred to Sano that he would be stuck here until the man finished his bath. Damn. Oh well... Better than getting caught. He sighed. At least this gave him a chance to observe the leader. He peered through the crack again. Was he crying?

The man's shoulders shook as he stripped off his loose robe, tossing it aside.

He seemed to be mumbling something, but Sano couldn't see his lips through the long hair that obscured his face.

He washed himself hurriedly, his hair rippling like a waterfall down his back.

Pretty... What?! What was he thinking? He shut his eyes for a moment and opened them to find the man already slipping into the tub.

He sighed happily and let his head fall back to rest against the side.

Sano was surprised at the view. He hadn't realized that the cupboards were that much higher than the tub... Of course they were situated on the raised area, and the tub was down there, but... He was startled by a voice outside the cupboard.

"Oh, Taka, you just don't understand..."

Shit. Was there someone there? No... He was only talking to himself. Sano relaxed.

"I have my responsibilities. We don't..." A sigh. The man's hand trailed down his chest. "You don't understand anything, do you?" Down his stomach.

Sano followed its course. Oh. Oh dear. Maybe he should have said something before after all. He turned away from the cupboard door as best he could. The robes were itchy against his face.

"Taka" It was more a moan than a word.

His face felt hot. He really shouldn't... The man's hand worked, sliding skin over skin... so much darker than the white of his chest. He was having trouble breathing, but hopefully, that meant that the man wouldn't hear him... He shouldn't be worrying, the man obviously wasn't hearing anything.

"If you would only see..." His chest was heaving now.

Should he turn away again?

"Taka..." The man's back arched.

Damn it! Even if it is his own private bath... You'd better clean the water, Sano thought. I really don't want to do it for you! He was relieved when the man left.

Sano stood fidgeting on the porch. Maybe he's not there. Maybe Sano should just go. No, that was stupid. Everyone had their private meeting with the leader, and besides, where else would he be? The house was a surprise. He'd really expected something bigger. There couldn't be more than a couple of rooms in there. No wonder he had it hidden off here in the trees. He's just some loony, he told himself. Stop worrying about it so much. He finally lifted his hand and knocked.

"Come in."

He stepped inside. "Uh... I was told to come meet you..." He looked around the room. It was far more modest than he had thought, even from outside.

"Please, make yourself comfortable." The man motioned to a cushion near himself.

Sano sat down carefully. Damn. He'd rather not sit quite so close. He looked at the man out of the corner of his eye.

"They tell me your name is Sanosuke?"

He nodded.

"Then I welcome you to the Way, Brother Sanosuke."

"Uh... Thanks." He still thought 'Brother Sanosuke' sounded kind of stupid.

The man smiled. "I sense that you have more... reservations than some of our brothers and sisters."

"Well..." Like the way I think you're a nutcase and at least one of your psycho friends has been killing people left and right? Gee...

"And yet your burden may be heavier than most of theirs."

"I'm fine." He stared at the floor.

"Are you? They tell me that your sleep is troubled."

He knew about that? "It's no big deal. Just a little dream, that's all." What was the weirdo trying to pull?

"Sometimes our dreams tell us things we are... unwilling to see for ourselves."

Yeah right. It was just a stupid dream. What did he know anyway?

"It's all right if you don't believe in me."

He looked up.

"Most people are eager to have me... work for them, but if the idea bothers you, it is not necessary."

What the hell was this?

"Despite appearances, I'm not trying to run a brainwashing camp here."

"Pardon?"

"This afternoon..."

Sano was surprised to see a dark blush creeping over the man's features.

"You heard us, didn't you?"

"What?!"

"I didn't realize until after... I thought I heard something, but I wasn't... paying attention."

Sano himself was blushing now.

"I'm sorry you had to see that."

"No, I... It was my fault."

The man shook his head.

"I mean... Everyone... um..."

"Feet of clay?"

Sano smiled faintly. "Yeah, something like that."

They sat in silence for a moment. "Look... Perhaps tonight isn't the best time for us to meet. I would like to give you a better introduction to the way, but would you mind if we finished this tomorrow?"

"No, not at all." Truthfully, he would be glad to escape.

"I... Here, I really shouldn't do this without explaining more, but I'll give you your cloak now. It will be cold tonight." He gestured to the garment.

Sano picked it up. He stood in the doorway, holding it awkwardly. "Tomorrow night then?"

"Yes; tomorrow night. And Sanosuke?"

"Yes?"

"I'm here for when you need to talk."

Sano clutched the cloak around him as he returned to the dormitory. It really was cold tonight. What the hell was going on in this place? The leader had seemed almost normal. What's he doing running a cult? Or was he only trying to con Sano? Maybe it was all that sidekick... But what if it wasn't. And what did he mean about 'when you need to talk'? Why not 'if you need to talk'? He wasn't *that* weak. He didn't need some crazy telling him how to feel. And acting like his dream was some big sign of something! I'm fine, he wanted to shout. I'm perfectly fine. Hiromi had said that everyone fell for it eventually... Well, he wouldn't be one of them! You won't trick me that way. He walked faster.

The wind was strong again, driving the rain into his face, plastering his hair to his forehead. He watched as the last of them left, wishing he could go with them, that when they'd asked him... But he couldn't leave. He stared at the stone with its mound of new dirt turning to mud. He had thought that he would feel a sense of completion. He stared at the new dirt turning to mud. The rain came down ever harder. The mud churned around his ankles and his jacket flapped around him like a white, wet ghost. The water was trickling down his neck, inside the jacket, and his feet were numb from the mud that shouldn't have been that cold because that should have meant that it was frozen and it was flowing like a living thing around his ankles. The others had all gone, but he was still here, but they weren't your friends and they didn't know you, but neither was I and neither did I and I'm standing here in the mud. It flowed around his ankles like a living thing, soaking his wrappings and his feet should have hurt, but they were too cold to feel just like he was down in the freezing mud, but he had already been cold, cold through the thin shirt, cold in his arms, and the rain was trickling down his neck, inside his jacket and it flowed around him like a living thing or a dead thing haunting his frame in the screaming wind. And the mud flowed around the stone and the bunch of chrysanthemums and over them and they sank as it flowed past and around his ankles like a living thing that was hungry and it swallowed and the stone sank slowly. And he waded towards it with the mud flowing around his ankles like a living thing and it wasn't far, but he couldn't reach it with the mud swallowing him and it and moving so slowly in the freezing rain that trickled inside his clothing and made his jacket flap white against the gray sky and the black mud and the cold and the dark. And he reached where it was and where the mud swallowed it like a living, hungry thing and the chrysanthemums before that and flowed still, over nothing more than mud and he wanted to say 'I meant to leave a marker' because he'd wanted someone to remember later because they might not have known him, but someone should remember but there was no one else left and he searched for the stone in the mud which swallowed his hands like a living thing, And he dug in the mud, but it flowed around his arms like a living thing and he couldn't feel the stone and he was leaning forward and it was swallowing his arms in its hunger and he fell too, digging and reaching for the stone because he wanted someone to remember but he was the only one here in the mud as he sank. And it was cold, but it shouldn't have been because that would have meant that it was frozen and it flowed around his body like a living thing and in his eyes because when he opened them there was nothing and he called as he fell, but he could hear nothing through the mud that flowed and it oozed into his mouth and he choked as he screamed as he fell through the impossible cold mud that flowed around him like a living thing. And he screamed and he screamed.

"Brother! Brother!"

Warm hands were shaking him awake.

"Wake up. Please wake up."

He opened his eyes.

"You were crying out."

His teeth chattered.

"Please try to sleep." They left him.

He pulled the cloak over himself and curled into a ball for warmth in the chilly dormitory, but he still shivered. He told himself it was from the cold.