Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ A Little Wind Can Fan A Single Spark Into A Bright Flame ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mist dotted the tree leaves as he walked through the serene area. All was quiet, even the birds didn't chirp.

It certainly is peaceful here, that it is.

However, this silence didn't last for long. As he neared the hot springs, towel and soaps in hand, he began to hear voices. He was still far enough away that he couldn't make out what they were saying. Whoever "they" were.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

"I don't know Misao. But what if he doesn't have feelings for me like I do for him?"

"Come on Kaoru! Don't be silly! And even if he didn't, he would never make you feel bad about it, or he would just deny it and try to cheer you up!" Misao said with a lively smile.

Suddenly, the bushes started to rustle.

"What do you think it is Kaoru?"

"I don't know. It could be a harmless hare."

Just then, Kenshin stepped through the underbrush.

"Miss Misao! Miss Kaoru! Wha...what are you doing here?!"

"Oh! Kenshin, it's you! We were just talking. Why don't you join us?" asked Kaoru, who then blushed profusely as she realized what she had just said.

"Yeah, Himura! Unless you're afraid of bathing with a couple of girls, of course. Ha ha!"

Kenshin turned a deep shade of red and began to stutter and back away.

"I'll just uh... come back later," he said as he took a tentative step backward.

"No! I mean, why don't you just come in for a little dip?" goaded Misao with a hopeful look on her face.

"You can always stay on the other side of those rocks, Kenshin. We won't see you..."

Kaoru began to blush at the thought of seeing Kenshin without clothes.

"Th...that's alright, Miss Kaoru. Excuse me for interrupting your bath Miss Misao, Miss Kaoru." He turned around to leave but didn't get very far.

"Grr! Himura, get in here NOW!!!"

Misao reached out and grabbed Kenshin by the ankle and pulled him into the springs, clothes and all.

"Miss Misao! Wait! *Glug! Glug!*"

Kaoru reached underwater and pulled a drowning Kenshin out by the arm.

"Kenshin! Are you alright?"

"*Cough! Choke! Sputter!*"

"*Gasp!* Kenshin!"

Misao just smirked and said, "I'm prepared to give you a mouth-to-mouth if you don't think you'll make it on your own, Himura."

Kenshin coughed once more and then said quickly, "No that's ok! I think I'll be fine by myself, Miss Misao, that I will!"

"Kaoru, you just enjoy yourself. I'll go over there and leave you two alone." Misao said with a smile and a wink.

"B...b...but!"

"Don't worry about anything! You'll be fine!" And with that, she swam to the other side of the lichen covered boulders that stuck out of the water.

"Well, this certainly is awkward, isn't it? Miss Kaoru?" Kenshin said with a hand behind his head.

"Kenshin, can I... tell you something?" Kaoru asked without looking up at him for fear of losing the courage that she had fought so hard for.

"Of course, Miss Kaoru. What is it?"

She gulped a couple of times before telling herself that this was going to be the only chance that she got to say it.

"Kenshin, I..." Kaoru started but stopped. "I don't know how to say this."

"Well try, Miss Kaoru. I'm sure it can't be all that hard to say." He chuckled. "I remember a long time ago when I dropped an entire basket of eggs and I had to tell my mother. It wasn't easy, that it was not. You don't have to say it if you don't want to, Miss Kaoru," Kenshin said softly.

"No, I want to. Kenshin, I...I love you." As soon as she said it, she blushed enough to match the color of Kenshin's hair.

"Miss Kaoru..." He swam over and embraced her. Then, he realized that she had no clothes on and immediately released the her. "I'm terribly sorry, that I am."

"It's alright Kenshin. I don't mind." As she looked at him, Kenshin lost himself in her big, blue eyes. Unconsciously, he wrapped his arms around her again and held her tightly to his chest. Kaoru felt his hard muscles through the soaked kimono. "Why don't you take this off, Kenshin? I mean, so that it can dry and you'll have something to wear when you go back?"

"Me?! Undress?!?! Here?!?!"

"Who else, what else, and where else???"

"Oh, alright, Miss Kaoru." She turned around to let him drag off his heavy clothing. "Gosh, I've never known that kimonos could get so heavy when they're wet..." he muttered to himself.

He never said if he had any feelings for me. Does that mean that he doesn't care? Or is he just being polite and trying not to hurt my feelings?!?!

Kaoru whipped around in the water and grabbed Kenshin by the back of his shirt before he could pull it off.

"Kenshin, are you hiding something from me??? Say you hate me, or say you don't care, but say something!!!" Kaoru shook him for an answer until he was unconscious and was slipping underwater again. This time she didn't pull him up, but rather, waited until he floated back to the surface face down with his shirt half off. "Kenshin? Hello? Earth to Kenshin... Don't you dare drown on me after I just told you my feelings!!!"

As Kenshin came to his senses, he found that he couldn't breathe and that a sharp pain was in his lungs. His hands flew to his throat, only they seemed to be going in slow motion and something was dragging them down. Then, he realized that he was underwater and tried to right himself. Once his face was at least out of the water, he found himself staring straight at an angry Kaoru.

"Is there something wrong, Miss Kaoru?" Kenshin asked in a small voice.

"I want you to answer me truthfully, Kenshin. Do you or do you not have any feelings at all for me?"

"Of course I do, Miss Kaoru. Why wouldn't I?"

"Well, you didn't say anything before..." Kaoru answered meekly, embarrassed that she thought he would turn her down.

"Miss Kaoru..." They stared at each other, all the while unconsciously moving closer, until their were close enough that Kaoru could feel Kenshin's breath on her cheek.

Miss Kaoru has always been cheerful and caring since the day I met her. I vowed to never love again since the revolution ended. The woman whom I had cared so much for died with it. I didn't want to get another one killed because of me, but... Miss Kaoru taught me how to feel emotions such as joy and love again. She's captured my heart.

Kenshin couldn't help himself but lean towards Kaoru. His lips brushed against hers, both their hearts pounding uncontrollably.

"Kenshin..." Kaoru closed her eyes as the man that she loved finally kissed her.