Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Ai no Uta ❯ Ai no Uta ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Song: “Love Song” by 311
 
Ai no Uta
 
Kaoru sat alone by her window, reminiscing of the night that etched itself eternally in her heart. The night when fireflies danced around her…and the frail thing that was her heart shattered entirely.
 
Whenever I'm alone…with you…you make me feel like I am home again
 
How could she know…what were the odds that miles away from Tokyo…that the person she was dreaming of was thinking the same?
 
Whenever I'm alone with you…you make me feel like I am whole again…
 
Kenshin feels a single tear move down his cross-shaped scar but he doesn't wipe it away. Somehow the tears make him feel connected to her.
 
“I'm so sorry, Kaoru,” he whispers, leaning against the trunk of a tree and looking at the silent moon. He blows a kiss to the moon as if sending it to her.
 
However far away…I will always love you
However long I stay…I will always love you
Whatever words I say…I will always love you
I will always…love you
 
Kaoru weeps on the windowsill, heart aching for something that she knew she couldn't have. Memories of him flooded into her mind. Her eyes brimmed with more tears as the fight with Jin-e arose into her thoughts. Seeing Kenshin on the edge of insanity was more than she had wanted to bear…and that fear stayed with her. She fretted at the idea of him going to confront another lunatic. And she yearned for the day where she could free him of the murderer inside…
 
Whenever I'm alone…with you…you make me feel like I am free again
 
Kenshin closed his eyes and tried to think of her. Of Kaoru…of her jasmine scent. Of her beautiful eyes… “Oh, Kaoru,” he sobbed into his hakama, his head buried between his knees. He had never felt more alone. Not even when Tomoe…the very thought and the want of Kaoru rocked him to his very core. He clutched his red hair and sniffled.
 
Whenever I'm alone…with you…you make me feel like I am clean again
 
“You are the only one that can cure me of my past,” he whispered through tears, the vague smell of jasmine on his hakama. She had washed his clothes before he left. Kaoru would never know just how much she had changed him.
 
Whenever I'm alone…with you…you make me feel like I am clean again…
However far away…I will always love you
However long I stay…I will always love you
Whatever words I say…I will always love you
I will always love you…
 
Kenshin and Kaoru cried themselves to sleep that night, missing each other so desperately that it bound their souls together.
 
In the morning, Kaoru arose to the bright rays of the sun striking her face. A soft knock on her door straightened her up and called her to her feet. Yahiko strode in and looked her up and down. Her eyes were red and her hair was disheveled. Not mentioning her distraught appearance, he handed her a letter and stepped out. Kaoru opened it gingerly, the paper very dry. When her eyes beheld it, she fell to her knees and wept all over again. Enclosed in the letter was a jasmine flower and a passage in Kenshin's handwriting, saying:
 
I will always…love you…