Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ And So It Goes (again >. ❯ And So It Goes ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

With a deep sigh, Megumi opens the heavy door that leans in to the cell-like room of the Kanryuu mansion's clinic. She hesitates for a moment, her sandals clacking against the intricate Western tile, and turns to look back down the hall out of the window at the end. A little line of pale green is appearing on the horizon, signaling the fast approach of dawn. However, the stars were still out, and it was still cold, so she shivers a little, crossing her arms over her chest, before stepping into the clinic to reluctantly begin her work for the day.
In every heart
There is a room
A sanctuary, safe and warm
 
She gets up from her kneeling position in front of the accursed opium to answer a knock at the door. In steps Aoshi, the light from the two candles illuminating his wounds from the most recent battle. She lets him in and has him sit on the tatami, noting his stern expression…and yet there is passion in his icy blue-green eyes.
 
To heal the wounds from lovers past
Until a new one comes along.
 
After bandaging Aoshi's cuts and bruises, Megumi sets about making tea. Her heart flutters as their fingers brush when she hands him his cup, but gives no indication to her new infatuation pf her uncertainty. The tea is finished and set aside, and Megumi ventures to make a comment about the speed that his injuries would supposedly heal.
 
I spoke to you
In cautious tones
 
Aoshi merely nods, then tells her in a dull voice not to worry. However, when he turns his piercing gaze on her own, she looks away quickly, her stomach knotting with the giddiness of a young girl and the fear that he had read everything in her mind. So her mouth closes.
 
You answered me with no pretense
But still I feel I said too much
My silence is my self-defense
And every time I've held a rose
It seems I've only felt the thorns
 
Megumi's mind shifts to her first lovers, from years ago, how they had captivated her every sense, and then left her in the cold. Aoshi clears his throat and she shakes her head to rid herself of these thoughts.
 
And so it goes
And so it goes
And so will you soon I suppose.
 
She sighs, remembering each and every time Aoshi had gone because she pushed him away, a big mistake on her part. She wills him to look at her again, pleading…praying
 
But if my silence made you leave
Then that would be my worse mistake
So I will share this room with you
And you can have this heart to break
 
Megumi's lip begins to tremble and she falls into Aoshi's arms. Aoshi makes a surprised little noise in his throat, but pulls her closer as he felt his warmth seep into his thighs.
 
And this is why my eyes are closed
It's just as well for all I've seen
And so it goes
And so it goes
And you're the only one who knows
 
He watches her wipe her tears from her pale cheek with graceful fingers, and he suddenly concludes that he's crazy. How could he, the Okashira of the Oniwabanshuu, be in love with an opium woman? Yet she looks so beautiful in the candlelight… As she sits up and apologizes for her behavior, Aoshi, expression still stony, reaches out to her and pulls her into a tight embrace.
 
So I would choose to be with you
That's if the choice were mine to make
But you can make decisions too
And you can have this heart to break
 
Megumi's eyes grow wide and luminous as she feels his arms fold around her and his brow burrow against her shoulder. Her arms move unconsciously around him in return. He lifts his head and looks at her for a moment before melding their lips in a soft kiss.
 
And so it goes
And so it goes
And you're the only one who knows.