Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Angel ❯ Angel ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

AnGeL
 
Concrete Angel by Martina McBride
Story by Blueunkown, characters by Nobuhiro Watsuki
"He might be a fther, but he sure ain't a dad"-The Crash Test Dummies

It was the first time I met her, under the sakura tree in front of our school. I was new and she smiled at me. She was the very first. My angel. I thought it was weird then, that she was wearing such a large sweater and baggy pants, but I thought nothing of it after a moment, maybe it was just the way she liked to dress.
She walks to school with the lunch she packed
Nobody knows what she's holdin' back
Wearin' the same dress she wore yesterday
She hides the bruises with linen and lace
It was the second day that she came to school with a bruise on her face. She brushed off my questions with a smile “It's amazing what a door knob can do to you when the doors opened to fast…” She laughed. I noticed the teacher watching her, brows furrowed, a question in her gaze. But her lips remained closed. As did every other teachers the rest of the day.
I think it was only me who saw the despaired look in her eye, when she thought nobody else was looking. The bruise was to big for a doorknob to be the cause.
The teacher wonders but she doesn't ask
It's hard to see the pain behind the mask
Bearing the burden of a secret storm
Sometimes she wishes she was never born
It was a week later, that my worst fear was confirmed. I offered to walk her home, surprisingly, she accepted. I should have been uneasy then.
Through the wind and the rain
She stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above
It was the best time I had in my entire life, walking with her, talking with her, about everything. She was an angel again as she talked, as her eyes light up and sparkled as she talked about her hobbies and interests. She even let me hold her hand as she told me about her dreams for college, to be a teacher.
But her dreams give her wings
And she flies to a place where she's loved
Concrete angel
It was when I was leaving her door step, the front door still slightly ajar that I heard the sound. The cruel sound of flesh hitting flesh. An old man, who was walking past on the sidewalk paused for a moment, before continuing on. Again the sound, this time with bone hitting bone, she cried out. I froze, not knowing what to do. Should I help? Was it my business? Would she be mad? Would I be able to protect her…
Somebody cries in the middle of the night
The neighbours hear, but they turn out the lights
A fragile soul caught in the hands of fate
When morning comes it'll be too late
It was then that my angel, my beautiful angel went flying through the door, landing a few feet away from me. A black eye, dark cheeks, bleeding lip, yet still my beautiful angel, with hopes, with a dream.
Through the wind and the rain
She stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above
But her dreams give her wings
And she flies to a place where she's loved
Concrete angel
And then I stood in front of her form, as the man, them that was her dad, well, he might be her father, but he sure wasn't a dad, came crashing out, eyes alive with hatred, alcohol on his breath. I wasn't sure If I could protect her then, but as he roared, and she gave off a tiny scream, I knew I would.
I had to.
For my angel.
A statue stands in a shaded place
An angel girl with an upturned face
A name is written on a polished rock
A broken heart that the world forgot
I barely remember it now, just a bad dream, just a bad dream. I remember her screaming at me, to run, to get away. I remember hitting his solid jaw, a cracking sound and blood. I remember hitting him many times, but I remember him hitting me more.
I remember seeing him hitting her again, and forcing my aching body to get up again.
To protect.
To protect my angel.
Through the wind and the rain
She stands hard as a stone
I don't remember being saved, or my uncle calling my name. I vaguely remember hearing his voice, filled with panic and screaming my name, I knew then that he cared for me, even though he didn't often show it.
I remember the first time I woke up after, my body aching, covered in bandages. But I sat up. My angel, was she ok? Did I protect her?
My uncle forced me back down, then moved so I could see my angel there, sleeping soundly. “She's just come out of surgery” He told me, his voice low “Her heart stopped for almost past the point they could save her, twice. But it looks like she has a chance now”
I felt tears well up in my eyes and I gasped as I looked at him, because my big strong uncle was crying to “You nearly died, you were in a worse condition than her. You're never doing that again, you hear me? Or so help me I will dig you up and kill you again, my idiot apprentice, my son”
I wailed then, felt him hug me before my eyes drifted closed.

In a world that she can't rise above
But her dreams give her wings
And she flies to a place where she's loved
My Angel lives with my uncle, my father and I now. She doesn't wear heavy sweaters anymore. She smiles more. She is the strongest, most beautiful person I have ever met, my angel. We have just finished high school. Soon we will be moving away. But we will be moving away together, and living together.
And what ever comes, my angel and I will face it together.
My strong, beautiful angel.
Concrete angel

I So please, Review!
Shattered theories