Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Dreaming of you ❯ Dreaming of you ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimers: Rurouni Kenshin is the property of Nobuhiro Watsuki and does not belong to me (though I wish they were….*sigh*). So is the song 'Dreaming of you' written by Franne Gold and Tom Snow and sang by Selena.

Dreaming of you

It was the yearly anniversary of the akabekko. Yahiko and Sano were less seen at the dojo due to the fact that they had to help with the preparations at the restaurant. Kenshin grinned despite himself, he and Kaoru were left at the dojo most of the time, and he couldn't be more happier. Just doing three things he loved the most without any interruptions. Namely, doing the laundry, cooking and watching Kaoru secretly from the corner of his eyes. As usual, Kaoru was training in the dojo profusely.

*She's going to be tired after that workout.* he thought as he continued to watch her, her moves fluid and precise… his smile disappeared to be replaced by a small frown.

*Sano and Yahiko have both their excuses for leaving the dojo… demo, Kaoru-dono also left the dojo for long hours in the day but without telling him where she's running off to, only to return late in the evening.* When he had tried following her, she got angry and told him that she'll be alright. She also told him that what she was doing was private and was no one else's business. If he tired to follow her, he's going to be in big trouble with her. He winced at that.

*Better to face Shishio, Saitoh, Enishi and Shishou all at once rather than face an enraged Kaoru-dono…*

As if on cue, Kaoru walked out of the dojo and into her room. She emerged minutes later with a towel and a yukata draped in her arm. Kenshin watched the bath house from time to time. After an hour, Kaoru went out of the bathhouse then directly into her room.

As Kenshin was drying the clothes, Kaoru came out of her room and went to him.

"Anou…. Kenshin?"

"Hai, Kaoru -dono?" Kenshin asked as he turned to her. She was wearing her usual yellow kimono and blue ribbon, but there was something different about her that he just couldn't place.

*She beautiful, that's what.* Battousai said from within him

*Oro. I know that…. demo, there's something else…* the rurouni countered

*Baka! If you'd just let me out, I'll find out what's different with her faster than you can say shishou!*

*Oroooooo!!!!!!!! I'm not letting you out de gozaru! I know what just you will do to Kaoru-dono!*

*Heh!* Battousai smirked, *Just what do you think I'll do to Kaoru? Hmmm? Ravage her?*

*OROOOOOOOO!!!!!!!*

*Feh! You are pathetic rurouni! If you gave me control a long time ago, then we would have her in our arms with no problems!*

*I'm no good for her de gozaru… too stained… to guilty…*

*Demo… that doesn't stop you from loving her...*

*Hai de gozaru.*

*Wanting her…*

(sigh) *Hai de gozaru…*

*Feh! Knew you had it in you!*

*OROOOOO!!!!!!! That's not what I meant!!!*

*Shut up you idiot! She's talking to you!*

Kenshin snapped back to reality in time to hear Kaoru what she was saying.

"Anou… Kenshin, I'm going out for a while and I don't think I'll be back in time to join you at the Akabekko. Demo I'll follow you guys there!!!! Promise!" she hastily added when she saw Kenshin eyes narrow at her.

Kenshin frowned and can't help narrowing his eyes at her. "Just where are you going de gozaru?"

Kaoru flushed and lowered her head, "I need to do something important…"

"If it's not much bother to Kaoru-dono, sessha would like to know just what are you going to do?"

Kaoru raised her head and glared at Kenshin, "Kenshin no baka! Can't you understand what important is? And besides, it's personal!" she would have stomped past him to the gates if he hadn't grabbed her upper arm firmly in his grasp stilling her.

"Kaoru-dono…"

Kaoru sighed, it would be useless to argue with him, but she just couldn't tell him just yet. Demo… she had to tell him something to ease him… he was so darn protective of her. After Enishi's jinchuu, Kenshin had become her shadow. Wherever she went, he was there right behind or beside her. It was really sweet of him, but it was also starting to get on her nerves. She was lucky that Kenshin was so busy these past days to follow her. She, Tae and Tsubame had been secretly practicing this for a month and darn it all to hell if Kenshin ever found out their plans.

"Kenshin, I promise you that I'll be alright. Don't worry Tae, and Tsubame are with me."

Kenshin loosened his grip on her after hearing Tae-dono and Tsubame-dono's names. "Wakatta, demo, you will be at the Akabekko, ne de gozaru?"

Kaoru beamed at him, "Of course! And all of you guys will be present as well ne?"

"Hai. You can count on that. I already told Misao and Aoshi where we will be dining tonight and they agreed to come de gozaru."

Kaoru beamed even brighter, "Great! Then I'll see you guys then, ok?"

"Hai de gozaru."

"Don't worry Kenshin, after tonight you'll know where I've been sneaking to these past few weeks." And with that Kaoru ran out of the dojo leaving Kenshin alone to ponder on what she said.

"Oro? Tonight we'll know where she's been sneaking to? Orororo, looks like we're in for a big surprise."


Later that evening, all the Kenshin-gumi including Aoshi, Misao, Dr. Genzai, and Suzume and Ayame were present at the Akabekko. Since they were Tae's favorite customers, they got the best seat in the restaurant, their booth was located directly in front of the temporary stage Sano and Yahiko built for the program. The restaurant was fully packed because of the 'surprise' program they were going to give.

"Yahiko, Sano, do you two know what's the surprise program is all about?" Misao asked them

"Dunno. Tae and Tsubame are the only one's who knows about this program since it was anyway their idea." Answered Yahiko

"Shit. You have got to be kidding me."

All heads turned to Sano

"Is that Saitoh?" he said then all head turned to the new comers and stared at Saitoh as he settled himself comfortably on the booth beside thiers. Actually, it wasn't Saitoh they were looking at. It was the beautiful woman he was with.

Saitoh glared at them before asking, "Just what the hell are you staring at?"

"………………"

"Saitoh, don't you think you should introduce me to your friends?" the woman told him

"They're not my friends" grumbled but never the less introduced them to her and finally he told them, "This is my wife, Tokio."

"WIFE?!?!?!?!" came the chorus

He glared daggers at them, "Yes, is there a problem with that?!" he barked at them

"Oro! Gomen!" Kenshin immediately waved his hands before him in apology before bowing in respect to Tokio, "Pleased to have met you de gozaru." He told her before backing in their seats to concentrate on their food.

"Himura-san, she must be the one that creep told us while we were in that Shingetsu village." Misao whispered to him

Kenshin merely nodded, "Hai de gozaru"

"Ken-san…" Megumi purred, sliding close to him and wrapping her arms around his neck, "I haven't seen tanuki-chan all week and tonight as well…"

"Hey, Megitsune, better not try your luck, jou-chan may not be here but once she knows what you've been doing she'll skin you alive." Sano told her

"Yeah, where is that tanuki-busu anyway?!" Yahiko chirped in

"Oro…" Kenshin sweat dropped, "Kaoru-dono told sessha that she'll be following us here tonight… demo, sessha doesn't know what time she'll be here."

"Ohohohohoho" Megumi laughed her trade mark laugh with fox ears popping up on her head, "Look's like our little tanuki-chan is…" Megumi trailed off when she saw Tae come up on the stage.

"A-hem." She started. When everybody saw her, they all quieted down to listen to the Akabekko's owner. "Kunbanwa minna-san. Welcome to the yearly anniversary of the Akabekko. Tonight we would like to do something special, we prepared a program for you to enjoy as you dine . And so, with out further delays, we will now start with our program." Tae then exited behind the paper panels located behind the stage.

Kenshin craned his head to get a good look at the restaurant. He felt that Kaoru was just around here.. but… just where is she? His worries were pushed aside for the moment when the first performers came up stage.


Kaoru peered from behind the paper panels. She was really very nervous about this. Ducking back in the shadows when she saw Kenshin scan the room thoroughly with worried amethyst eyes.

*Kami-sama help me! I don't think I can do this…*

"Kaoru-chan!"

Kaoru almost jumped when she heard Tae's voice behind her.

"Kaoru-chan!!! Just what do you think you're doing down there?! You're going to ruin you kimono…" Tae scolded her as she helped Kaoru stand up. Straightening the kimono she and Kaoru bought the other day just for this occasion, she tried to ease the young girl.

"Kaoru-chan, relax. You look marvelous. If Ken-san doesn't notice you in that, I'll chop his head off."

Kaoru laughed weakly, "Demo, Tae-san… what if I can't do it… what if I mess up?"

"Kaoru-san…"

Kaoru looked down to see Tsubame standing beside Tae.

"Kaoru-san, daijobou. You'll be great… and anou…you really look beautiful." Tsubame murmured softly before flushing pink.

Tae smiled. Tsubame couldn't have been more right. Kaoru looked fabulous in every sense in the word. She wore an off shoulder purple kimono with butterfly and sakura patterns on it. Her light brown obi with different patterns on it was tied to perfection. Half of her hair was tied up in a bun with a crystal clasp holding it, while letting the rest of her hair cascade down her back. Adding a touch of makeup to her face, Tae painted Kaoru's lips light red while she applied light purple on her eyes to bring out it's color. And just to make sure they recognize her, she refrained from adding white powder to her face.

"Tae-san, Kaoru-san, Miko-san and Aku-san are finished with their act." Tsubame told them

Giving Kaoru-one last reassuring squeeze in the arm, she told her, "Remember Kaoru-chan, you're doing this for him…"

"Hai… I'll be doing this for him… Kenshin…"

Kaoru nodded determinedly as she heard Tae as she started to introduce her.

"I'll be giving them a performance they'll never forget."


Just as Miko and Aku disappeared from the crowd, Tae moved forward on the stage. "Well, I do hope you've enjoyed your meal and our programs…" a chorus of "yeah.." greeted her. Smiling, she continued just as the customers were rising from their seats thinking that the program was over. "But before you all go and we close up for tonight… I would like to introduce our special program."

With that announcement the people instantly returned to their seats with surprise evident in their faces. Tae continued, "Yes, we did save the best for last and I hope you'll enjoy listening to her, just as Tsubame and I enjoyed listening to her practice. And I hope after tonight, she'll be singing more often." pausing to breathe, she continued, "Now, without further adieu, I present to you, a very special friend of ours, Kamiya Kaoru."

After that announcement, Yahiko and Sano choked on their food while the others stared as Kaoru came out from behind the paper panels.

"This ought to be interesting." Saitoh drawled as he watched the Kamiya girl step forward

"Shit! Is that jou-chan?!

"Kaoru?!?!"

"Oro….Kaoru-dono?!" Kenshin gaped at the ethereal beauty standing just in front of him.

*Kami-sama! Is that Kaoru-dono?!* his mind screamed as Battousai struggled deep from within to get out and ravage the woman before him.

"I see it but I don't believe it…." Yahiko said in awe as he gaped at his sensei. "She's…."

"Beautiful…." Misao and Megumi said in unison with Yahiko

They all quieted down when Kaoru took her place on center stage, took a deep breath, closed her eyes and began to sing. Her voice carrying all that she had ever felt for the former hitokiri turned rurouni, all that she had wanted to say to him but lacked the courage to do so.

"Late at night when all the world is sleeping

I stay up and think of you

And I wish on a star that somewhere you are

Thinking of me too…

Cause I'm dreaming of you tonight

Till tomorrow I'll be holding you tight

And there's nowhere in the world I'd rather be

Than here in my room dreaming about you and me…"

Looking directly first at Kenshin then to Misao. She let the next stanza of her song convey her feelings to the rurouni and somehow, she also wanted this song to touch Misao at the same time. For she knew that she and Misao were at the same point in their relationships with their baka loved ones.

"Wonder if you ever see me

And I wonder if you know I'm there

If you looked in my eyes

Would you see what's inside

Would you even care?

I just wanna hold you close

But so far all I have a dreams of you

So I wait for the day And the courage to say how much I love you

Yes I do!

I'll be dreaming of you tonight

Till tomorrow I'll be holding you tight

And there's nowhere in the world I'd rather be

Than here in my room dreaming about you and me…."

Misao's eyes widended in realization as she heard the first line of Kaoru's song. Her eyes misted and watered a little as she dared to look at her beloved Aoshi-sama. She blushed furiously when she saw that Aoshi was watching her intently the whole time… as if he were gauging her emotions… but why would he do that? That thought bothered her as she looked back to Kaoru and listened to the remainder of the song. But before she tuned her attention back at Kaoru, she saw that Kenshin was watching Kaoru intently. There was something in his eyes she couldn't quite place. It made Kenshin different to look at… she had never saw that look on Himura's face before. She smiled when it hit her. He was watching the woman he loved with eyes full of understanding, awe, admiration and… love. She felt a pang of jealousy at that… at least Kaoru was going to make progress… but it looks like she was just going to look and dream about Aoshi all her life. She sighed and turned back to Kaoru, at least Himura wasn't as dumb as he seems when it came to women. This time she let a full grin light her face as she watched Kaoru sing.

Aoshi watched the emotions playing on Misao's face. Her eyes lighting in realization, then sadness. He knew the song Kamiya-san was singing was for Battousai, but when she looked directly into Misao's eyes, he then realized that the song she was singing was also meant for Misao to hear, understand and… relate. That suspicion was confirmed when his beloved Misao peeked at him her eyes watery and misty. He smiled secretly.

*I have made her wait for too long. She's grown now… a woman. In every sense of the word. Though she did have a tendency to act like a child most of the times, it was what definitely made Misao. His Misao.* he thought.

*Ororororo… Kaoru-dono's singing for seshha…" Kenshin thought

*Well at least you realized she was singing for you. You're not that idotic as I thought you were.* Battousai sneered at him within his head

*Oro! Will you please shut up!!!!*

*Why? Can't handle the truth? If I had been able to break months ago… she would have been ours by now!*

*Grrrrrrrrr………* Kenshin forcefully shut Battousai's bickering in his head as he listened to his angel.

*Ore, sessha didn't know she could sing… and what a voice she has…*

~ Instumentals ~ (this was supposed to be the part where Selena speaks in spanish or latin, I don't know what ever that was, but I thought it wouldn't be appropriate for this story, so….)

"I can't stop dreaming of you…"

~ Instrumentals ~

"I can't stop dreaming…"

~ Instrumentals ~

"I can't stop dreaming of you"

~ Instrumentals ~

Kaoru looked directly into Kenshin violet eyes, she was a bit surprised to find out that it was laced with a bit of amber on the sides. She smiled and thought of Kenshin proposing to her… giving everything she's got into the final part of the song.

"Late at night when all the world is sleeping

I stay up and think of you

And I still can't believe

That you came up to me and said "I love you"

I love you too!

Now I'm dreaming with you tonight

Till tomorrow and for all of my life

And there's nowhere in the world I'd rather be

Than here in my room dreaming of you endlessly

Dreaming of you tonight

Till tomorrow I'll be holding you tight

And there's nowhere in the world I'd rather be

Than here in my room I'll be dreaming of you tonight

Endlessly

And I'll be holding you tight

Dreaming...with you...tonight!"

And as her voice faded into the night, silence greeted her as the last notes of the song faded, only to be replaced by roars of appreciation and clapping form the crowd. The Kenshin-gumi sat for a while completely stunned by her performance before the joined the crowd in giving appreciation to Kaoru's unbelievable performance. Sano hooted for Kaoru as Tae ran up on stage to give Kaoru a hug and a murmur of congratulations. When Kaoru went down to her friends, she was greeted by a very enthusiastic and somewhat teary-eyed Misao, and gave her an enormous bear hug.

As they all went out, Saitoh and Tokio congratulated Kaoru with her performance. Even if Saitoh's comment made Kaoru bristle.

"Hmph. Congratulations, Battousai. I never thought that your little tanuki ever had a voice." and with that comment, he was rewarded by a very hard poke in the ribs, compliment of his lovely wife, Tokio.

"Please forgive my husband. But you do have a very beautiful voice, paired with a great song… it was just exquisite." Tokio told Kaoru

Kaoru blushed with Tokio's comment and bowed carefully, "Domo arigatou for your compliments. I'm very glad that you've liked it."

Tokio smiled softly in response, "It would be hard not to like it." And with that, Tokio left with her husband in tow.

"Ei, jou-chan…"

Kaoru turned to the questioning gazes of her friends. She smiled. "Kenshin," she began softly, "do you remember what I told you earlier?"

The red headed samurai nodded. "Hai de gozaru yo…"

"Well, the truth is…" she started as they began their trek home, "I have been practicing with Tsubame and Tae near the river these past few weeks. We never told any of you what we had planned because we wanted to surprise you…" turning to Kenshin she told him, "Gomen ne, Kenshin? I didn't want to worry you but we really had to keep it a secret…"

Kenshin nodded his understanding. *A surprise to all of us. She really would never fail to surprise him with what she could do…* he thought.

"Kaoru-chan, you never told us that you had a voice like that." Megumi told Kaoru

"Well…" Kaoru began sheepishly, "I never really knew I could sing like that, until Tae practically forced me to sing a song for her. She had caught me singing and humming softly by myself as I was cleaning the yard. I knew that I could hum or sing tune every now and then, but to really sing, that's another matter." She sighed. "After one song, I ended up as Tae's surprise performer."

"Kaoru-san… you should sing more often!!!!!" Misao chirped happily

"And dress like that more often…" added Sano

"And wear make up… makes you look like a girl." Yahiko told her

Kaoru bristled, "Just what do you mean by that GAKI-CHAN?!"

"Nothing!" And with that Yahiko ran ahead of them, letting Kaoru get away by calling him gaki-chan, and teasing Misao before he ran in top speed before the ninja girl could hit him. Misao followed in suit… thoroughly pissed off with Yahiko.

"Well, it has been a very wonderful night, I better get going. See you all tomorrow!" Megumi told them as she waved and walked at the other direction.

"And I better go with that kitsune just to make sure she doesn't get into trouble." Sano said following Megumi.

"Quit calling me kitsune you dumb tori atama!"

Giving Kaoru a thumbs up before turning back to Megumi, he told her, " Great performance jou-chan. It was really great… even if Yahiko won't admit it, he was impressed with you."

Kenshin and Kaoru laughed at the retreating figures of their friends with Sano's comment trickling in Kaoru's head. Kenshin turned to find that Aoshi had already went ahead of them, leaving him alone with Kaoru.

"Kaoru-dono, I think it's time we also head back home."

She smiled, "Hai, Kenshin…let's go home."

While walking home, Kaoru noticed that Kenshin was deep in thought. She sighed and turned her attention to the stars above.

*Should I tell her now?* Kenshin thought as he gazed at the woman walking beside him through the cover of his thick bangs, a peaceful yet sad expression on her beautiful face.

Sad? Kenshin's brows crinkled in disapproval. She shouldn't be sad… and besides what made her sad? Then and there, Kenshin made his decision.

"Kaoru-dono?"

She smiled softly at him, "Hai, Kenshin?"

"Kaoru…"

Kaoru's eyes widened with surprise when she heard the honorific dropped from her name. Is she just dreaming or is Kenshin really looking at her so… intimately…

Facing her, he tenderly held her face in his hands, her cheeks staining with a faint pink color… "Kirei…"

"Kenshin….?"

"Kaoru, will you forgive sessha for waiting this long to tell you this?"

"Kenshin? What are you…"

Kaoru trailed off as Kenshin gently placed his fingers on her lips to silence her.

"Aishiteru, Kaoru. From the moment I have laid my eyes on you… I have loved you. I never had the strength to tell you this because I was scared that I might stain your innocence… you deserve much more than me. I have nothing to give you except a dark past…"

Kaoru shook her head, "Kenshin no baka. I'm not as innocent as you think I am. I have faced hardships just like you. I know more about pain that any other person that I have ever known, except of course, you. I may never have killed, but I did face death through the loss of both my parents…" tears fell from her eyes, "I have always loved you Kenshin… the light and the dark… everything about you. I accept you for who you are and what you believe in. Battousai or Rurouni, you both are one and the same… they make you for who you are… Kenshin. Just you. Without them, you'll never be Kenshin… never the Kenshin we now know and love."

Kenshin hugged Kaoru while murmuring in her ear, "Will you sing for me again, koishii?"

Kaoru leaned back to look in his eyes, her own twinkling with happiness… "I'll sing for you forever…"

Resting his forehead against hers, he smiled. "Does that mean, you'll make sessha the happiest and luckiest man on earth by making you my wife?"

Inching a bit closer to him, she teased him with the tip of her nose, "Hai."

Holding her close against him, Kenshin then lowered his head even further… "Aishiteru, Kaoru-koishii…"

"Aishiteru, Kenshin…anata…" she answered before he completely closed the distance between them and kissed her tenderly and lovingly. A kiss that carried all the passion he had kept hidden inside for the angel sent to him to be his light.

And I still can't believe

That you came up to me and said "I love you"

I love you too!

Now I'm dreaming with you tonight

Till tomorrow and for all of my life

And there's nowhere in the world I'd rather be

Than here in my room dreaming of you endlessly………….

Up above the stars twinkled on the two lovers below as a bright shooting star streaked across the night sky, a witness to the love they shared for now… until the end of time.

~Owari~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reviews are highly appreciated!!!!!! Onegai! I really need them! Hope you like this song-fic! Arigatou! No flames please?

Yuki-chan