Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ First Date ❯ Questions ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

First Date

Chapter 1

`<You can do this Rurouni… no big deal… it's just one question… it's not like the world is coming to the end,> <demo… if she says no… then it probably will, for sessha…> <Dame!! can you please stop the sessha thing?! And how are you so sure she will say no?> <I don't know, but if she does, it's ok, because sessha doesn't deserve her anyway.>'

Kenshin began to get impatient and scrubbed Yahiko's training outfit almost to the point of breaking through it. He didn't seem to be paying much attention though. And for Kenshin not to be paying attention to the laundry, something had to be wrong. He was to busy, Battousai and the Rurouni were having a very idiotic, but necessary quarrel. He hoped Battousai would win for once.

`<Don't you think that's for Kaoru to decide? Who she picks in none of your damn business, be it you or any other man.> <It has to be another man, it couldn't be sessha. I only want her happy.> <And what if she's happy with you? Would you be cruel enough to drive her away just because you think it is for her well being. Besides! Are you and I invisible or what?! You know very well how you feel towards her.> <I don't deserve to love anymore, nothing good comes out of it.> <What about her smile?> <How do I even know she smiles for me… how do I even know…?>'

Kenshin sighed gathering another piece of cloth and sticking it into the washing tub, he was getting a head ache.

"How do I even know she loves me?" he said without thinking.

"Who Kenshin?" said a voice beside him

That voice, her voice, so sweet. He looked up at her. she was bending down towards him with her hands behind her back wearing her lovely lavender kimono, the plain simple one, of course, he would love her even in a potato sack. But there was this problem, her kimono was slightly opening from the front, and since she never bound her breasts with a kimono…

"Kenshin?" she asked again

"Oro! Um, er, nani? Is something wrong Kaoru-dono?" he asked totally embarrassed at what he was just doing.

Kaoru looked at him confused "I was just about to ask you the same question, what were you thinking about?" she asked squatting beside him.

"Hmm? When?" he asked regaining his composure and getting back to his laundry.

"Just now, you said well, you asked `how do I even know she loves me?' do you like someone Kenshin? Who is she?" Kaoru asked

Kenshin blushed and looked over at her, he could see curiosity in her eyes, but, there was something else there… Hurt? But, why?

"Um… it was nothing de gozaru." Was all he said

"Oh…" Kaoru responded.

There was a terribly uncomfortable silence for a while. Neither of them knew what quite to say.

`<You should ask her now… what better chance than this? You are alone in the dojo, with her, on the subject of liking someone… Alone!!>' the voice screamed in his head. Kaoru smiled one last time at his and started to get up. `<Do it now! Before she leaves!!> <But, sessha…!> <sessha my ass!! Do it!!!> <Demo> <oh f*#% this! I'm taking action!>'

"Kaoru!" he practically screamed shooting up from his squatting position.

Kaoru stopped dead in her tracks… had he just called her Kaoru?, just plain Kaoru? And screamed? He never screamed! What the hell? She turned to look at him a bit insecure.

"Hai Kenshin?" she asked.

Kenshin fidgeted, `<Damn! Look what you got me into Battousai! Now what do I say?>' demanded the Rurouni `<How the hell should I know? Um, do you want to have dinner with me tomorrow? Or… oh! I don't know! You can't be that lame!>'

"Kaoru-dono would you like to have sessha for dinner tomorrow?" he blurted.

Kaoru blinked once or twice, "Na- … nani?" she asked

`<What the hell was that?!>' demanded Battousai `<Crap! Here I go again…>'

"I mean… sessha would like to have you for dinner de gozaru."

"Nani!!??" blushed Kaoru.

`<You moron!! Can't you do anything right?! … mmm, although, that's not entirely incorrect.>' Said Battousai `<Oro!? Battousai no hentai!!>'

"Ken- … Kenshin… are you asking me out?" Kaoru said very insecure.

She wished she hadn't said that. If he wasn't, this would be really humiliating, but if he was…! Oh Kami-sama! It took him long enough!! Her heart was beating so hard she was afraid Kenshin might hear it.

She looked up at him again and found him blushing probably as hard as she was, fidgeting with his fingers and looking from side to side.

"Um… well, hai Kaoru-dono…" Kenshin barely whispered.

He waited, not wanting to look up at Kaoru and see rejection. Kaoru was using almost all her will power trying to not jump up and down like an idiot. `Kenshin no baka! Why do you still call me dono? What happened to just plain Kaoru? Kenshin asked me out… I'm supposed to say something ne? er, what did he ask me? What do I say?!'

"Kenshin… why do you want to go out with me?" she asked him

She practically slapped herself on the forehead. `That was stupid!' He looked surprised to hear that from her, it wasn't the answer he was looking for. He sighed. Of course he had taken it the wrong way, as a rejection that is. Well, if she wasn't going to accept he should at least tell her his feelings.

"Kaoru, you are the purest, sweetest most beautiful woman I have met. I… have strong feelings for you de gozaru. At first, I thought my duty was to protect such a fragile creature from the world, but I never knew why, I just couldn't let anything happen to someone like you."

He paused a bit. He hadn't looked up to Kaoru yet, he would have seen surprise in her eyes. She was not used to being called a woman, it made her feel, strangely pleasant.

"That's what I thought at first, we had a wonderful friendship. And I knew you were something special to me, I knew I held a certain care for you de gozaru yo. But as time passed I realized I didn't see you just as a friend, I didn't look to protect you just because of our friendship… there was… something more. I guess I realized it when Jin-ei took you. I suddenly felt… empty, that's why I was so angry. And my feelings kept growing. Even though I told myself I could not fall in love with you. You… deserve someone better than me… and I don't deserve you at all de gozaru. I am too guilty… I have taken so many lives. I could not bear to stain you, such an innocent beauty with my sins."

"But something inside me just kept nagging that maybe I had a chance. That just maybe there was more in your worry for me than just friendship. But… I guess…" he hid his face even more and chuckled sadly before continuing "So, I actually wanted to have this talk with you at dinner. Just to let you know how I feel and see how you would take it, but I see it's no longer necessary."

He only saw her hands, they were in a loose fist and slightly twitching, she was probably crying. Maybe she feels sorry for me. He thought to himself. He took her hand and kissed it, the action caused her to jump a little. His touch was so sweet, but he had it all wrong! She did love him! But she found it hard to move, she was taken aback by his words and was effectively crying, part from happiness part from frustration that the baka didn't do this sooner. He gave her hand a gentle, but desperate squeeze and let go. He turned around and started walking away.

"I realize that with what I've said you would be very uncomfortable with my presence around here. I really am sorry, I have ruined everything. The best is for me to leave de gozaru. Arigatou for everything, you may not realize it… but you changed my life Kaoru. And for that I thank you…" He said

Kaoru's eyes widened. `He can't leave now! I won't let him! It took him long enough damn it! And now he wants to leave?!' Without thinking she took the first thing that was at hand, which happened to be the laundry bucket, and threw it full force at him. Kenshin was so deep in his depressed thoughts he never saw it coming.

"Kenshin no baka!!!!!!!!!" she screamed

"Oro?!?!?!" yelled a very dazed Kenshin on the floor

She rushed over to her wet rurouni and threw her arms around him.

"Kenshin no baka…" she whispered into his ear "Where do you get the silly idea that I don't love you ne? Mou Kenshin! Everyone thinks I'm way to obvious except you! I would never let you leave because it would utterly destroy me… aishiteru, baka rurouni…" she said digging herself into his neck.

"Sou desu ka?" Kenshin asked, recovering from the sudden impact.

He finally looked up at the warm little thing on top of him and saw a nodding smiling Kaoru. `<HA HA HA HA!!!!!! I TOLD YOU! I TOLD YOU!! You should have done this sooner! But noooooooo! Nobody listens to Battousai!>'

"Do… do you still want to have dinner with sessha?" Kenshin asked her

"No…" she smiled. "I want to have dinner with Himura Kenshin."

Kenshin blushed a little. `<See! I told you no one likes the sessha thing!>'

"How about this coming Friday? In the evening?" Kenshin asked

"Of course, any day with you is a perfect day." She said wrinkling her nose.

Kenshin stood and lifted Kaoru up with him. "We should go inside now, it's getting cold and we are both wet." He said to her.

Kaoru nodded and skipped back into the dojo. Kenshin gave a little sigh seeing her like that. She was happy, because if him.

`<Matte genius! Tomorrow is Friday!>'

"Oro!!!!!!!!"

~~~~~~~~°*°~~~~~~~~

A/N: chill out… this is the first of many chapters, and if you're nice, you'll leave a review? ^^ hehehe, no flames please… they burn! (¬¬ well duh!) I'll post up the next chapter in a week, oki? Ja!

Bao