Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Heart of the Wolf ❯ Heart of the Wolf ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
HEART OF THE WOLF
A Rurouni Kenshin POV Fanfic

Written by Miyu, Vampire Princess


AUTHOR'S NOTE:
This story is told from Tokio Saito's point of view (POV). This is not my first Kenshin fanfic, but it is my first involving this character. Little is really known about her, but hopefully I will not be too out of character. She'd have to be a strong woman to marry Hajime, now wouldn't she? ^^ Timeline-wise, this story takes place about a week before the Kyoto arc in the anime series.




"B-but you just got back...only three weeks ago! What about--?"

"There will be plenty of time when I return--"

"IF you return!"

An exasperated sigh. "It's only for a few days."

"You said THAT before you left for Osaka a month ago."

"And I came home as promised."

Correction. "Three weeks later than promised."

Another sigh. "There were things that needed to be taken care of."

"There are ALWAYS things that need to be taken care of."

A pause and a glare. "I take my job seriously, Tokio."

"And you should learn to take your family seriously, Hajime."

I regretted those words as soon as they left my mouth. Expecting a harsh retort I turned away. But I was surprised when strong arms encircled me from behind. And equally surprised, more like stunned, when I felt lips pressed to the top of my head. I could feel my husband sigh behind me, the heavy rise and fall of his chest pressed against my shoulders.

"Tokio, why are you arguing with me now when you have never done so in the past?"

Yes, why would I argue?

I asked myself that question while I watched him pack his things, while I watched him hug our son good-bye. I asked myself that question when he left the house without another word except for a whispered "I love you." I've been asking myself that same question for the past three days.

My stubborn nature? Or is it his?

Oh we've had our fair share of fights, Hajime and I. This was but another in an otherwise long list. All husbands and wives fight, or at least argue from time to time. And sometimes over the most trivial of things.

But this is far from trivial. He's preparing to take on one of the most notorious criminals of our time. Someone from before the Meiji, during the time of the Tokugawa. A time my husband knows all too well, and probably someone he knows too. The thought makes me both smile and ill all at once.

I have been through this separation many times. Hajime has always been a man of duty. I knew this when we met. He was a leader in the Shinsen Gumi and highly respected -- and loathed -- for his practices. The stone wall with which he surrounds himself is a turn off for most people, but in times of war, I suppose it's to be expected. It was a surprise to everyone when the two of us fell in love. I had foolishly hoped I could tear down that wall he put around himself, his heart. In the end, I guess I've only learned to live with it.

He has always been a man of his word, too. He has always returned to me. To us. Even if it is later than I expected. I can feel the anger I felt the day he arrived home from Osaka boiling up again. Three weeks later than expected and he shows up at the door with a torn uniform and a bruised cheek. I would've liked to have bruised the opposite cheek but the atypical look of exhaustion on his face caused me to refrain.

Normally his stony demeanor doesn't affect me. But lately, I feel a though he's being taken from me. Little by little there's a part of him that's slipping away. I can't really explain it. It's like the man himself is breaking into pieces, like a broken stone statue, and each piece is being taken away every time he leaves the house.

Maybe it's his sanity that has me worried. Perhaps it's my own. I know he keeps me...us...hidden from the rest of the world's prying eyes, keeps us hidden from the danger his life could rain upon us, but these long times apart are starting to tire me. I miss him so much and I can't even express this to him. I hope that somewhere in his heart he knows how I truly feel for him.

Does he think of me while he's away? I would hope so, but I'm not holding my breath.

He should think of his son. He'll be twelve this winter and already hoping to make his father proud with his newly honed martial arts skills. Too much like his father, my son. I only hope that he will not have to endure the pain and suffering his father and I did.

I rest a hand over the slight swell of my stomach. There is no movement there yet, but in two months time there will be. Maybe...he should think about...a daughter, too.

"Momma, it's almost dinner time." My boy not only acts like his father, but looks like him as well. I can feel the tears in my eyes as he re-enters the house.

"Yes, dear I know. How about we go into town for dinner tonight?"

"Okay." And he hurries off to wash up.

I can't help but smile. He's growing up so quickly. What am I going to do?

Hurry home, Hajime.

I don't want to lose any more of you than I already have.



~FIN~