Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Kaoru ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Kenshin walked away from Kaoru's room he slipped on a body and turned to see who it was he gasped when he saw that it was Miss Keiti the one who had told him of Kaoru's quick recovering. "Please don't tell me I killed her" he begged "Kenshin wait!" he turned to see Kaoru running up to him "Kaoru please don't come back!" he heard Yahiko cry in the background but Kaoru didn't seem to listen and kept on running towards Kenshin her nightgown he could see had blood on it showing that she must have tripped on one of the bodies and fell in blood "Kenshin please wait!" she called again Kenshin smiled at her and she ran into his arms. "Kenshin," she said, "you were in my dreams" Kenshin looked at her in surprise "what?" he asked "your life as a child, during the revolution, how you got your scar, saving a woman named Tomoe" Kenshin slowly pushed her away "did you say you know about Tomoe?" "so she's real," Kaoru said, "then it really was your life story."

Kenshin frowned as Yahiko and Sano ran up to her "Kenshin?" Kaoru asked, "you killed Tomoe?" Kenshin glared at Kaoru his amber eyes blazed with anger and he yelled "don't you dare tell anyone about that dream Miss Kaoru!" he yelled taking out his sword, "or else!" he cried bringing it down into Dr. Keiti's body. Kaoru gasped as Kenshin wiped the blood off his sword and said "beware Miss Kaoru of what you say and do" Kenshin yelled before jumping out the nearest window. "Kaoru are you alright?" Yahiko asked as a shocked Kaoru fell back into Sano's arms "Kaoru?" he asked "Kenshin" she said her voice covered in fear. She trembled at the sudden change as she looked down at her side, she realized the part of the obi Kenshin had given back to he was gone "Kenshin!" she cried before fainting in Sano's arms.

Both of them had expressions of worry on their faces. Sano picked up Kaoru and Yahiko followed him back to Kaoru's room and watched him place her on the bed, "I just can't believe that Kenshin would actually threaten Kaoru like that" Yahiko said sadly as he and Sano left the room. Sano just merely looked at him before turning back "they mentioned something about a woman named Tomoe," he said, "I know I've heard that name before" he went into thought "well Kaoru had been talking about the revolution so maybe" Yahiko sighed and watched as the dojo came into view.

"Yeah!" he heard Suzume and Ayame cry, they both ran over to Yahiko "where's Uncle Ken?" they asked Yahiko who only looked at them. They were both smiling at him "um..I don't really" Sano hit him hard on the shoulder "hey what was that for?" Yahiko cried staring at Sano "Kenshin he's just at the hospital checking on Kaoru" Sano noted quickly. Yahiko growled but nodded his head "I want Uncle Ken" Ayame cried "Uncle Ken" Suzume repeated. Yahiko sighed "uh..he'll be home later" he said making the girls runaway happily "hopefully" Yahiko mumbled to himself before he followed the two girls inside the dojo.

Sano decided to get Kenshin off his mind and went off happily to start gambling again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kenshin sighed as he looked at Kaoru's obi his amber eyes blazing "Kaoru," he said softly before adding harshly, "she had better not tell a soul that I killed Tomoe" then he forcefully threw the obi into the fast moving river. He then he turned on the stump to watch it quickly float away, he unsheathed his sword and stared at it as the revolution raged on in his mind. He remembered being told that Tomoe was a traitor by his so called friend, he remembered being a child and learning how to fight, he remembered his name being changed from Shinta to Kenshin. He remembered slicing men in half, he remembered being coved by one of the women who he had thought of as a mother, he remembered her telling him that he must live on and then watching her get stabbed through the throat. He shivered as those cold-hearted memories flashed through his head, he remembered watching Tomoe run in front of his attack, he remembered how she had given him the cross. He felt a tear as blood flashed, "all I can remember is blood" he cried, "all of his memories were filled with pain.

Kenshin sighed and watched the river flow, he stayed there and sat on the same stump, he watched the sun go down and he got up "you never know when I might go wandering again" he had said to Kaoru. He remembered her giving him her ribbon as a remembrance and a promise that he would come home. He remembered all the times he had saved her and all the times she had showed courage and strength.

Smiling he looked at himself, covered in blood, Kaoru was all he could think about, he had to return to the dojo. So sadly he walked out of the forest and back to the Kamiya dojo where Yahiko sat on the porch looking for him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kaoru looked out the window as the sun began to set; she had to get out of there and soon, so she looked around the hallway as she opened her door. She had noticed that the bodies and blood were gone surprisingly fast but that didn't seem to matter. She closed her door again and dresses back into her now clean kimono. She stepped out and quietly left the hospital doors, she walked into the woods and found a river, she smiled and slipped off her shoes and placed her feet in the warm water. She sighed as the water brushed against her feet and a warm breeze blew.

Then she saw something purple coming around the bend, she reached out a grabbed it a realized t was her obi. Kenshin must have thrown it or hopefully dropped it in the river, which meant that Kenshin must be close by. She slipped on her shoes again and ran off through the woods hoping to see Kenshins retreating or coming figure. "Kenshin!" she called out, Kaoru stopped and began to spin but quickly regained her posture and yelled out for Kenshin again "Kenshin!" she called out before collapsing, the ribbon that held her hair fell out and slipped into the river as Kaoru's hand fell into the warm rushing water.

Kaoru slowly closed her eyes and darkness once again took her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kenshin looked around Megumi, Sano, and Yahiko behind "Kenshin what are you taking us in here for?" Yahiko asked as they ran towards the river "I can feel Miss Kaoru," he cried as they came to the rivers edge, "she's here" "look!" Yahiko cried catching a ribbon "isn't this Kaoru's?" he asked "yes," Megumi said, "she's probably around this area" she said quickly as she followed Kenshin to the opposite direction the river was flowing. "Isn't that" Sano began once he noticed a small tan hand slightly parting the river, "Miss Kaoru!" Kenshin cried his amber eyes returned back to their normal purple color and he ran over to Kaoru with get speed.

"She'll be fine" Megumi said as she reached Kenshin and Kaoru. "We should take her back to the hospital though" "no," Yahiko said, "she didn't like being in that hospital can't you tell" Kenshin looked over her "she wasn't getting enough light" he said as he noticed her pale skin. "Let's just take her back to the dojo" Sano said a little annoyed at Kaoru. Yahiko looked at him and Kenshin picked her up and headed back to the dojo.